Sea Gypsy Freedom

Off the keyboard of Ray Jason

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666
Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Sea Gypsy Philosopher on April 13, 2014

ray-at-new-transmissionIt was a moment of pure, transcendent bliss. AVENTURA had just cleared some treacherous, shallow reefs south of Jamaica. As I studied my chart, it suddenly dawned on me that now there was nothing but open Caribbean water between my lovely sailboat and a cornucopia of enchanting destinations.
I could select the beautiful and historic walled city of Cartagena. Or perhaps the stunning San Blas islands with their feisty Kuna Indians, who never fell to European conquest. Maybe a visit to the magical Rio Chagres was in order. It is a jungle wonderland where the howler monkeys outnumber the humans. Or possibly I should set my course for the undiscovered jewel of the Caribbean – Bocas del Toro. But then again, maybe I should sail west to the turquoise, fish-lush waters of Belize.
Pondering these exquisite choices reinforced my belief that there is no freer way to live than the sea gypsy path. Since I didn’t want to waste my fresh stash of Jamaican limes, I made myself a tall gin and tonic. Then I retired to the foredeck with my clipboard. Feeling utterly at peace – with the sails pulling and the wind-vane steering – I decided to inventory the many forms of freedom that wandering the Wide Waters bequeaths me.

FREEDOM FROM FRENZY – The usual speed for AVENTURA is around five knots, which is only about twice as fast as someone out walking their dog. This allows me to leisurely observe and enjoy my surroundings. The adjoining world is not reduced to a frenetic blur, it is a panorama to examine and savor. I love the fact that my sailboat is such an organic part of nature. It is enmeshed within its rules and constraints. In the same way that you never see a turtle driving a jet-ski, you never see a boat like mine traveling at 50 knots. This magisterial pace is also vital for someone with a philosophical inclination. That’s because Speed is the arch-enemy of contemplation.
· FREEDOM FROM A BRAVE NEW 1984 WORLD – The two classic dystopian novels of the Twentieth Century proposed very different approaches that governments might use to impose tyranny. In Huxley’s BRAVE NEW WORLD, the authorities used entertainment and drugs to enslave the people so effortlessly that they didn’t even notice their bondage. But in Orwell’s 1984, the rulers used gruesome “boot on the neck” totalitarianism to subdue and neuter the people. They combined a vicious secret police force with an inescapable surveillance grid.
I contend that the evolving, low-grade tyranny that is so evident in the USA combines BOTH of these tactics. The populace is sedated and dumbed-down with a 24/7 kaleidoscope of escapist media that prevents them from noticing the erosion of their freedoms. Simultaneously, the State is militarizing police forces and installing a surveillance dome that is all-pervasive. Orwell would be shocked at how thoroughly the Overlords can monitor the modern citizen. Out here in the sea gypsy world, I am invulnerable to their electro-techno seductions and much less visible to their all-peeping eyes.
· FREEDOM FROM HUMILIATING DEPENDENCY – Self-reliance is mandatory for the ocean sailor. You can’t call a plumber a thousand miles from land. But not only is being able to fix that leaking toilet vital – it is also extremely invigorating. Being a “minor master” of one’s seagoing domicile is deeply empowering in a modern world overflowing with incompetency.
· FREEDOM TO EMBRACE MY WILD, FERAL, ANCESTRAL SELF – The Western techno-industrial paradigm has decimated almost all of the indigenous cultures on our planet. There are only about 85 native tribes still surviving in the deserts, jungles and Arctic snow fields. But even though civilized people view them as savages, they see themselves as self-reliant human animals who can attend to their complete life needs. On the other hand they are amused by our deadly dependencies, and they think of us as domesticated animals – like sheep or cows. By spending much of my time in un-peopled places, I can reconnect with my lost feral self. When I whack open a coconut with my machete and savor my Tarzan Tea or greet the sunrise with a blast from my conch shell or stop my boat in the far ocean to swim in miles-deep water, these are not just symbolic gestures. They are steppingstones along a path to greater freedom and back to the wisdom of the wild.
· FREEDOM FROM THE FEAR OF COLLAPSE – When I first started cruising many years ago, there was no such thing as Peak Oil or derivatives or methane venting. But as our Energy, Economic and Ecological mega-systems have become overwhelmed, the specter of a major societal unraveling is a genuine possibility. Fortunately, a well-equipped ocean-worthy sailboat is probably the best survival module there is. I have discussed this belief thoroughly at my various “Sea Gypsy Tribe” essays that can be easily scrolled down to here on my blog. So when I finish this essay, I will sleep soundly knowing that AVENTURA can handle almost any catastrophe that the world might present to us.
· FREEDOM FROM “WORKER BEE EDUCATION” – The actual goal of state-sponsored, industrial-model education is not to inspire the love of knowledge into students. Instead, it is designed to teach them just enough so that they can operate the machines that are needed to keep the system functioning. The prevailing educational template does not just discourage critical thinking, it suffocates it. That’s because too much careful inquiry would reveal a system that is founded upon injustice and exploitation. But the children that I see around me in the sea gypsy community, who are being home-schooled by their parents, are full of curiosity and creativity. They are learning about Nature and other cultures not from documentaries but from direct contact. The normal inquisitiveness and originality that comes with childhood is not suppressed – it is supported.
· FREEDOM FROM SUPPORTING IMPERIAL GOVERNMENTS – In my ideal world, there are no borders. And as a symbol of that vision, I fly the Earth Flag aboard AVENTURA. It also permits me to show no allegiance to my birth country, the USA, which has become such a malevolent force on the planet. I am not referring to the bulk of its people, who are largely decent, caring humans, but to its political, corporate and military Overlords who wreak havoc and death around the world. And to those foreigners who claim that I SHOULD ridicule the average American because they keep electing such soul-less leaders, I submit that the system is now so corrupted that voting or protesting no longer offer any genuine hope for change.
· FREEDOM FROM AN UN-CULTURE WHERE “OUR STUFF” DEFINES US – Most of my friends suspect that my lifelong simplicity has been involuntary rather than voluntary. They believe that if I had applied myself better I could have been successful and wealthy. But much of it has actually been conscious and deliberate. It began when I first read this sentence by Thoreau: “A man is rich in direct proportion to the number of things that he can live without.” That inspired me to judge the worth of a person not based on their “stuff” but on their non-material qualities such as intelligence, kindness and humor. Such a non-conformist perspective means that I am dramatically out of step with the dominant culture. Fortunately, by living close to Nature in my small boat, I can avoid a disposable un-culture that is addicted to “the latest and greatest.” My sextant could have been used by mariners 200 years ago – and it could be used by future sailors 200 years from now.
· FREEDOM FROM “WORST-CASE EVIL” – It is fairly indisputable that those who control our world are greedy, arrogant, selfish power freaks. But there seem to be credible insiders and whistleblowers who maintain that the people in charge are even beyond hideous – that they are genuinely diabolical and evil. My genuine hope is that this is not the case. But if it is so, what better way to escape their web, than to wander about the seldom visited coasts and the vast ocean expanses of our wild, wet planet.

The sun had now vacated my longitude in the Caribbean, and so I decided to go below and cook my dinner. But the remembrance of that Thoreau quote about voluntary simplicity, inspired me to dig out my little folder of what I call “road quotes.” I had collected them during my long ago hitch-hiking days on the Asphalt Seas. I freshened up my gin and tonic, and settled in to renew my acquaintance with these memorable quotations. About halfway through them, I came across one that I had forgotten. It is by Albert Camus, and it is so relevant to the subject of this essay that I was both stunned and delighted. Allow me to share it with you:

“The only way to deal with an un-free world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”

6 Responses to Sea Gypsy Freedom

• Thom Foote says:

If the worst case comes to pass, you and your kind may well be the glue that binds coastal and inland communities into an ongoing culture, at least for a while. You will be able to carry goods that I produce in Spokane up and down the coast trading for salt and other necessities. It could be a reversion to an early paradigm.

• Eddie says:

My contention for years has been that the live-aboard sailors are the world’s last free people. I’m glad you’re out there, Ray. I raise a glass to you, my friend.

• Ray Jason says:

Hi Thom,

Not just an old paradigm, but possibly a better one. My best guess is that we are headed back to a pre-railroad agricultural template. Also the Age of Working Sail.

If you are not familiar with the Sail Transport Network you need to get involved. It is the idea of Jan Lundberg from Culturechange.org. tell him I sent ya!

Sail on – smile on!!!

Ray

• Ray Jason says:

Hi Eddie,

Gracias, amigo. If you are the Eddie who used to comment to a bunch of my posts, I greatly appreciate your continued encouragement. Anyone aware enough to visit DD often is far freer than most of our sad society. Hoist a toast to yourself as well.

Ray

• Ray Jason says:

To RE,

A quick shout-out! This new method is much easier to respond to…much, much easier. I used to have to labor just to locate the comments for my posts. And my replies would often disappear when I tried to send them. Also seem to be a lot less than I normally generate. Are the comments being moderated? I don’t mind dissenting opinions…my issues are with the hurtful ones with no redeeming value.

Thanks,

Ray

• RE says:

We added the WP Commentary for quite a few reasons, simplicity being among them. The WP Comments are moderated, yes. If anybody wishes to engage in unmoderated commentary, they are welcome to do that on the Diner Forum. It has it’s downsides. LOL.

RE

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Support the Diner
Podcasts

VISIT AND FOLLOW US ON DINER SOUNDCLOUD FOR ALL PODCASTS AND DOWNLOADS!

Daily Rant Discussions

" As a daily reader of all of the doomsday blogs, e.g. the Diner, Nature Bats Last, Zerohedge, Scribbler, etc… I must say that I most look forward to your “off the microphone” rants. Your analysis, insights, and conclusions are always logical, well supported, and clearly articulated – a trifecta not frequently achieved."- Joe D
Knarf’s Knewz

"ALL THE KNEWZ THAT FITS THE WIDGET"

Knarf's Knewz Archives

2/28/2015

The United State's Terrorist Legacy of Lynching

Congress averts Homeland Security shutdown with one-week extension

Police: Gunman Killed Seven and Then Himself at Multiple Crime Scenes in Rural Missouri

Virtual Charter School Network Making Profit at the Expense of California Schoolchildren, Study Finds

In the War of GMO Labeling, Big Food Is Losing the Crucial PR Battle

Hundreds of Illicit Oil Wastewater Pits Found in Kern County, California

With Chicago Tired of “Mayor 1%,” Chuy García Could Actually Win His Runoff With Rahm Emanuel

"The Interests of the Wealthy": How the Rich Control Politicians - Even More Than You Think

Twelve Ways to Reverse Inequality and Close the “California Chasm”

House Republicans Slip Anti-Abortion Language Into Education Bill

2/27/2015

Senator Whitehouse Rips "The Senator With the Snowball"

In the War of GMO Labeling, Big Food Is Losing the Crucial PR Battle

CPAC 2015 Wants You to Know: You Are In Terrible Danger

How Google's Silence Helped Net Neutrality Win

The Big Melt: Antarctica's Retreating Ice May Re-Shape Earth

The Brief Life and Private Death of Alexandria Hill

The Siberian Crater Saga Is More Widespread - and Scarier - Than Anyone Thought

UN Reveals "Credible and Reliable" Evidence of US Military Torture in Afghanistan

At CPAC, Scott Walker Compares Wisconsin Protesters to ISIS

The Mystery of the Civil War’s Camp Casey

2/26/2015

"Gestapo" Tactics at US Police "Black Site" Ring Alarm From Chicago to Washington

Warming World: Is Capitalism Destroying Our Planet?

Crude Awakening: How the Keystone Veto Dashes Canada's "Superpower" Dreams

Goldman Employees Rake In $2 Billion From 2008 Options

Here is the New Homeland Security Report on "Sovereign Citizen Extremist" Violence

Hell on Earth: A Political Theory of Holy War

Net Neutrality: FCC Set to Vote on New Rules Governing Future of Broadband

'2014 Was a Catastrophic Year,' Amnesty International Says

Kerry Blasts Netanyahu: He's 'Wrong' on Iran Deal Like He Was on Iraq War

2/25/2015

States Are Blocking Local Regulations, Often at Industry’s Behest

Official: Radioactive Fukushima Water Leak Was Unreported for Months

The United States' Radioactive National Park

Alaska's marijuana entrepreneurs eager to open for business

Top Medical Groups Say Gun Violence Is a Public Health Crisis

US 'Electoral Integrity' Ranked 45th Among 107 Nations, 'Worst of Established Democracies'

Corals face 'slow starvation' from ingesting plastics pollution, experts find

Vast dust bowls threaten tens of millions with hunger

This Is the Most Economically Segregated City in the US

How regulators and legislators make it harder for you to use solar power

2/24/2015

Edward Snowden Has Just One Regret

Malkia Cyril: Net Neutrality Is the Civil Rights Act for the Internet

JPMorgan, Still On 2-Year Probation, Under Scrutiny in Gold Fixing Probe

The Global Water Crisis

"People Are Really Getting Angry": How Bernie Sanders Just Electrified Iowa - and What It Means for ’16

Right Wing Radio Host Hugh Hewitt to Moderate First GOP Presidential Debate

Who’s Afraid of Chicago’s Progressive Aldermen? Rahm Emanuel, That’s Who.

Republicans Split on DHS Funding, Edging Closer to Partial Agency Shutdown

Comcast Made $68 Billion in 2014

Alaska Becomes Third State With Legal Marijuana but Bans Smoking In Public

2/23/2015

NSA chief declines comment on spyware reports, says program are lawful

Justice seeks stay to implement Obama's immigration orders

Border Patrol sees little reform on agents' use of force

The United States' Freelance ISIS Killers

Australia May Stop Providing Water and Power to Remote Aboriginal Communities

TransCanada has big new plans for moving oil around, and you won't like them

The Widening War Against Boko Haram

Australia reveals tough new security measures (VIDEO)

Net neutrality: A lobbying bonanza

Secrecy around police surveillance equipment proves a case’s undoing

2/22/2015

Documents Reveal Fossil Fuel Fingerprints on Contrarian Climate Research

Dahr Jamail | Addressing Population Growth - Through Freedom, Not Control - Is Crucial to Confronting Climate Disruption

Even as Many Eyes Watch, Brutality at Rikers Island Persists

Homeless man dies on shelter's steps amid frigid temps

Lawmakers call for guns on college campuses to prevent rape

Wisconsin pipeline dwarfs Keystone and affects every waterway in the state

Downfall of a simulated celebrity: Brian Williams, Max Headroom and the performance of credibility

Americans are having more trouble paying off their student debt than their houses

9 Surprising Industries Profiting Handsomely from America's Insane Prison System

Fresh leak at Fukushima nuclear plant sees 70-fold radiation spike

2/21/2015

Wayne Barrett: What Rudy Giuliani knows about love - a response to his "doesn't love America" critique of Obama

Charles P. Pierce | Drums Along the Potomac: How This Country Never Learns Anything

The Austerity Con

Bigger Than Science, Bigger Than Religion

How Spies Stole the Keys to the Encryption Castle

Cocaine-Snorting Oscar Statuette Appears on Hollywood Blvd.

UNWELCOME MAT: WHITE HOUSE TRIES TO COUNTER NETANYAHU VISIT

Three missing London schoolgirls 'travelling to Syria to join Isil

Republicans To Investigate Climate Data Tampering By NASA

Series Of Dead, Decapitated Animals Found At Sacramento Park Puzzles Police'

2/20/2015

DHS intelligence report warns of domestic right-wing terror threat

Evaluating Police Psychology: Who Passes the Test?

As the Rich Get Richer, Unions Are Poised for Comeback

What the Anti-Vax Movement Doesn’t Tell You About Measles

Big Oil’s Explosive Week: Two Disasters Reveal the Dangers of America’s Energy Boom

Greek PM "Certain" Euro Zone Will Back Loan, Merkel Demands More

"Children Do Not Migrate—They Flee": Striking Photos From Poverty-Ravaged Guatemala

Explosive New Snowden Doc: NSA/GCHQ Stole Vital Cell Phone Encryption Keys

A Black Mississippi Judge's Breathtaking Speech to Three White Murderers

Oscars and Box Office: This Is the Lowest-Grossing Year in the Modern Era

2/19/2015

Jeb Bush’s Foreign Policy Team Is Eerily Familiar, in One Venn Diagram

A Whistleblower's Horror Story

The World's Biggest Banks Might Be Moving Money for Terrorists

The Peace Symbol Celebrates Its 57th Birthday, But Still No Peace

Nobody Seems To Know How Many Fighters ISIS Has

Since 9/11, We've Had 4 Wars in the Middle East. They've All Been Disasters.

This Is What a Troll-Free Internet Feels Like

Concealed Carry’s Body Count

Barack Obama: Muslim elders too 'boring' to win Isil propaganda war

LIVE: CHILL MAP

2/18/2015

How “omnipotent” hackers tied to NSA hid for 14 years - and were found at last

Guantánamo torturer led brutal Chicago regime of shackling and confession

The Sarah Palin of Israel

The War on Drugs Is Burning Out

Pussy Riot's First English Song, "I Can't Breathe," Pays Tribute To Eric Garner

Second UK-based Israeli drone factory shut down by protesters

Russian researchers expose breakthrough US spying program

Greece to seek loan extension under pressure from eurozone

How Insurers Can Hit You With $10,000 Health Care Bills - Even When You're Covered

Afghan civilian deaths hit record high

2/17/2015

Four Numbers to Make Us Fighting Mad, and One Way to Fight

Americas Program Policy Report: Border Drones a Financial and Policy Bust

William Greider | Why Is No One Talking About the GOP’s Plan to Send Millions of Disabled Americans Into Poverty?

Obama Spokesman Blasts Immigration Ruling

Scientists Say Small Fracking Earthquakes Could Lead to Major Ones

Bernie Sanders | The Pro-Worker, Pro-Growth Experiment in Greece Is Under Threat

Lake County Condemns Nuclear-Waste Storage in Great Lakes Basin

Congressman Blasts San Francisco Medical Pot Prosecutions

Is the Government About to Warn America Against Meat?

Dems Brandish New Counterproposal in Social Security Fight: Tax the Rich

2/16/2015

Egypt Bombs Islamic State Targets in Libya After 21 Egyptians Beheaded

Ukraine Ultranationalist Leader Rejects Minsk Peace Deal, Vows "to Continue War"

Cities Take Anti-Extremism Efforts to White House

Massive Fire at Islamic Center in Houston; Group Calls for Hate Crime Probe

Groundbreaking New Report on Geoengineering Tackles Carbon Dioxide Removal Experiments

Affluent Private Universities Are Tax Shelters for the Rich... and the Rest of Us Are Picking Up the Tab

GMOs Invade Fruit Industry: Apples, Pears, Cherries and Peaches to All Become Unlabeled GMO

These Six Corporations Control 90 Percent of the Media in the United States

Decades, Chicago Police Used City Jails as Torture Chambers

MEDITATION BOOMS AS PEOPLE SEEK A WAY TO SLOW DOWN

Diner Twitter feed
RE Economics

SWISSIE CAPITULATION!

Off the microphone of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

Of Heat Sinks & Debt Sinks: A Thermodynamic View of Money

Off the keyboard of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

Merry Doomy Christmas

Off the keyboard of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

Peak Customers: The Final Liquidation Sale

Off the keyboard of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

Welcome to the Hotel California Mushroom Farm

Off the keyboard of RE Published originally on Reverse...

Musical Dollars

Off the keyboard of RE Published on the Doomstead Diner...

Ostriches on the Blind Side

Off the keyboard of RE Published on the Doomstead Diner...

History & Future of Coinage & Money

Off the keyboard of RE Published on Reverse Engineering...

The Future of Money

Off the keyboard of RE Published April-May, 2010 on...

Whither Gold?

Off the keyboard of RE Published on the Doomstead Diner...

Collapse Cafe
Recent Podcasts

Wild & Wacky Winter Weather

Off the microphone of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

Brace for Impact: Interview with Tom Lewis-Part 2

Off the microphones of Tom Lewis, Surly, Monsta &...

Greek Souvlaki Redux

Off the microphone of RE Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666...

The Week That Was