AuthorTopic: The sixth mass extiction-2 years ago-many poeple's responses on Yahoo  (Read 364 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
1,907 reactions

William
2 years ago
If humans are first to go it's probably going to be from our own nuclear wars or just start dropping dead because we've begin to rely so much on technology we die from our own stupidity. Serves us right though for #$%$ all over paradise and shooting animals to put their heads on a wall. This world would still be paradise if it weren't for humans decimating any forest we had and pouring concrete over them. Native Americans had it right and we had to go and say screw your way of life manifest destiny. Now it's manifest space destiny, we #$%$ on our own planet enough and now we're looking to go do the same to another. Disgusting really much like an unstoppable plague upon nature.
T
Tamlane
Tamlane
2 years ago
I think that most people don't realize that humans are only a part of the ecosystem and we are dependent on other creatures. For example, I find it amazing that when people think of bats they think of vampires. In reality bats eat pests (such as mosquitoes which can carry deadly diseases), disperse seeds, and pollinate plants. All things that are necessary if people want to eat. However, as we continue to spread across the globe, we mindlessly destroy other species for our own purposes. Sooner than you think (oh, probably not in your lifetime but soon), overpopulation will cause irrevocable damage and humans WILL run out of clean food and water. I'm just glad I won't be around to witness humanity literally devour itself.
C
Cynthia S.
Cynthia S.
2 years ago
Regardless as to whether Professor Erlich is right or wrong, what I find most disturbing is that we humans refuse to take any responsibility for our own planet. On one hand, we play innocent, "We can't control nature, we don't know how" on the other hand we can dump so much garbage into the ocean that they call it the "Garbage Patch". We're not little prehistoric tribes any more, digging for roots and tubers. The only creatures more numerous than us are insects. Let's agree on one thing: this is the only planet we have. Our science isn't good enough to even get us to the end of the solar system, much less to another galaxy or habitable planet. The other planets are either too close to the sun, or too far away from the sun. Mars is dead, and so are most of the others. So we still need to take care of the one we have. I've heard people argue that we can afford to lose most of the animals, except for the cows and chickens. Really? Do you really want to find out how long we can last without, say, bees to pollinate plants? Or fish? Can we actually call ourselves an intelligent species, when we won't take care of our only living place?
l
lela
lela
2 years ago
I think a large part of the problem is overpopulation of this planet by PEOPLE! We need to implement some plan (birth control) for the entire planet to reduce the population worldwide. A lot of the abuse of the planet would more than likely drop considerably if this is done. The planet can only sustain the life of so many and though I cannot recall the exact number; I did hear that we are now something like two and a half times more than it should be.

Perhaps that would give animal and plant life a chance!
P
Paul Jones
Paul Jones
2 years ago
Whether you believe adverse climate change is occurring or not more has to be done to take care of planet Earth.

Aquifers across the globe are being drained at an alarming rate. (Not just California) Other places include China and India

Americans waste 40% of the food they produce. If less food was wasted there would be less garbage.

Water sources across the globe are being polluted. It is important to keep in mind that while over 70% of planet Earth is covered by water, only 1% of the water is drinkable fresh water.

Water conservation combined with protecting endangered species are conscientious steps that need to be implemented.
J
Jay
Jay
2 years ago
I grew up in an area rich in salmon. every year folks would be at the river pulling them out with ease abundantly. Gradually over 30 yr. period they completely were fished out ruining the industry and sport fishing. Eventually the State govt. banned even commercial fishing.Now I live in a fishing village outside of the USA in which was once was in one of the most richest fishing areas on the planet. First the sharks were decimated for their fins. Then the marlin & swordfish were fished out and shortly thereafter the tuna were gone. For the last few years the main catch was mahi & red snapper but now the mahi are gone and you can only get very small red snapper. Soon they will be gone...and some of you don't believe man's stupid over use of resources and wanton disregard of conservation for profit has not affected the ocean population? I've seen it twice with my own eyes..... anyone who doesn't think that man has affected the die off is a #$%$.
I
It` sM
It` sM
2 years ago
Here`s a quote from eugenics crackpot Paul Ehrlich... "If voluntary birth reduction methods did not work, a nation might have to resort to the addition of a temporary sterilant to staple food or to the water supply".
J
John Oleksyn
John Oleksyn
2 years ago
NOTE: What follows is an overview in regard to understanding some of the
issues EVOLUTION and EXTINCTION and what realistic solutions are
necessary to avoid them. But the bare minimum text to competently give
insight to the subject matter, due to the complexity of it, is at three pages.

Due to bulk text posting restrictions, quite often after posting just a page I
can't post another for a few hours or so. As such please wait till all three
have pages have posted consecutively, for readability, before commenting
on any of what I present. Thank you.
c
candr
candr
2 years ago
While I don't believe we are approaching a Permian-Triassic type of extinction event, I do think that the human race will eventually implode upon itself. It may happen via global nuclear war, but it will more likely occur because there are just too many of us. The earth can provide only so many resources, and sometime within the next several hundred years we'll exceed what the planet can give us. It's been said that "man is nature's only mistake", and there's a lot of truth to that.
L
Les
Les
2 years ago
The problem is over population... If we removed all muslims from the world, not only would human conflict drop to near zero globally, we would diminish the global population by 24%.. I say win win all the way around.
C
Charles
Charles
2 years ago
They talk about environmental change, global warming, etc. Growing up in the 60's they told us trees in rain forests were being cut down at an alarming rate. We had a tree planting campaign in Boy Scouts. Trees convert Carbon Dioxide into Oxygen. What have they done since then cut down even more trees. All forests need to be replanted. The endangered animals they talk about are those where habitat has been removed by humans. Yes, I think humans are the cause of many of the problems. But we can also change it by doing the right thing. Plant a tree. Water is another big problem. California needs to boot out a lot of the people because they don't have the water to support 40 million.
M
Michael
Michael
2 years ago
There's a good reason to limit your number of kids to 2 or 3. The trend, just from observation, seems to me to have families of this size. It seems to be deliberate. We got people. We got enough. Through attrition we will have fewer. Everyone dies. We can control how many people we have with birth control and regard for the earth and the willingness to examine, infer, and act.

Animals can't do that; it's up to humanity. Otherwise, we can do nothing-and in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter. Nature will correct things, and that won't be any fun. So, let's take care of that.

Otherwise, get ready for the worst cataclysmic, apocalyptic, world shaking disaster since the last one.
R
Rob
Rob
2 years ago
Ramping up the fear for all that tax money
H
Hoffa
Hoffa
2 years ago
Overpopulation is the first problem. There are way too many #$%$ humans roaming the planet and consuming its resources at break-neck pace. Places like India need a China like population restriction. Our environment will continue to be polluted as long as corporation profits keep flowing. Habitat will keep being destroyed for human growth and expansion. I fear food shortages, outbreaks of MERS, bird flu, Ebola will get worse each year and extinction of several species of animals will continue. This is our fate and nobody gives a #$%$ to stop or control it.
P
Paul
Paul
2 years ago
We are just visitors here. The earth will be here long after we are gone.
C
Cindy
Cindy
2 years ago
The earth will survive even if humans don't. Who knows how many times higher life forms have evolved on earth only to have some sort of die off. Our fossil records are still pretty scanty. Humans evolved because a niche was created to allow them to survive. When we are gone some other life form will fill the void. We humans like to think we are the be all, end all, but we are not. We are just one animal among many.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
2 years ago
You'll notice Stanford's resident nut case, Paul Ehrlich, is the author of this "study."

"Ehrlich is widely known for his 1968 publication of “The Population Bomb” which called for “population control” to prevent global crises from overpopulation. In this book he predicted that “In the 1970’s the world will undergo famines – hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death” and “[our children] will inherit a totally different world, a world in which the standards, politics, and economics of the 1960’s are dead.”

He also tells us cannibalism will soon become a necessity if we are to survive.
E
EJ Moneybags
EJ Moneybags
2 years ago
OK, I've read this entire story from AFP and there's only 2 choices for the reader to understand. #1: Either the authors are about the most Ill-informed journalists to ever existed, and don't have a clue Ehrlich is a ghost from the past of the MOST discredited and debunked "prediction" crisis mongers who actually lost a public wager citing England wouldn't exist by the year 2000 ( with economist Julian Simon & I'm sure there's been tons on this thread pointing this out). Or the 2nd choice: This story was written by the same global warming/eco-chicken little crisis mongers & aiming at a 'grubered" DUMB-DOWNED reader who won't know this, but buy the story hook/line/sinker. Which do you pick?
B
Bob
Bob
2 years ago
Guess it's time to open that wine bottle and enjoy it before I get wiped off the face of the earth.
C
Croc
Croc
2 years ago
It's very true that the Earth is indeed entering a 6th mass extinction. One third of all amphibians on Earth are either endangered or already extinct. This is a lineage of animals older even than dinosaurs, the remnants of the first fish that evolved to walk on dry land, a lineage that still has gills at a certain stage of its life.

There are many causes of this mass extinction, and climate change is one of those causes. And yet some people refuse to even hear out what the actual scientists have to say, then conclude based on their own ignorance that there isn't any evidence supporting it. Some even go as far as attempting to persuade others that it isn't real and that nothing should be done. You can see it in these comments all the time. People who actively argue against the reality of climate change are selfish beyond comprehension. They don't care what we're doing to the Earth in the long term, they just care about being able to drive another 12 MPG suv to avoid the soccer parent image. That, and crank up the indoor AC on high all summer long without paying a few extra dollars for the cost of renewable energy. Because to them these things are more important than the long term future of this planet. I wonder what they'll tell their grandkids in 50 years when the world is an even bigger mess than it is today?

etc.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sixth-mass-extinction-us-study-210749359.html
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)