AuthorTopic: It's Not The Heat It's The Stupidity  (Read 534 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
It's Not The Heat It's The Stupidity
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:04:20 AM »
Texas Morality Police  are proceeding with their idiotic bathroom bill, even though it's obvious to anyone with a brain that it's a terrible idea that will damage the image of our state. Governor Abbott called a special session of the legislature to put this back on the agenda. He's trying to out-conservative Dan Patrick, the Lt. Gov, who is a possible threat to his re-election plans.

Texas Senate Passes 'Bathroom Bill'
A Texas version of a North Carolina-style 'bathroom bill' targeting transgender people has again passed the state Senate but still faces an uncertain path to becoming law.

July 25, 2017, at 7:52 p.m.
MORE

Texas Senate Passes 'Bathroom Bill'

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A Texas version of a North Carolina-style "bathroom bill" targeting transgender people again passed the state Senate on Tuesday over opposition from police and major corporations, but still faces an uncertain path to becoming law.

It is the second time this year Texas has lurched toward putting restrictions on which bathrooms transgender people can use, but the same deep GOP divisions that sank the first try remain.

If anything, tensions are running even hotter. Now at stake for Republican Gov. Greg Abbott, who faces re-election in 2018 and has gone against the tide of GOP governors who have shied from following the lead of North Carolina, is whether his party will deliver after ordering them to finish the job in a special legislative session that ends in August.

Big business and police —two usually important groups to Texas Republicans — have urged Abbott to drop it. Just as the bill came to floor inside the Senate, police chiefs and commanders from Texas' largest cities stood outside on the Capitol steps and railed against the effort as a waste of time.

Nearly 9 hours later, the bill tentatively passed 21-10 after Democrats dragged out the vote. State troopers removed a few protesters in the mostly empty Senate gallery who shouted "This is a farce!" and unfurled a banner that read "Y'all means all."

"It's about privacy and protection," Republican state Sen. Lois Kolkhorst said. She said her bill would stop a man from "saying today I feel like a female and I have the right to go into these intimate spaces."

The bill would require transgender people to use the bathroom that matches the sex on their birth certificate, including in public schools. It now moves to the House, where the original Senate version died earlier this year without a vote.

The bill has ripped clean open a rancorous split in the Texas GOP between moderates who stand with high-profile opponents — including Amazon and the NFL — and social conservatives who drive the state's political agenda. Republican House Speaker Joe Straus has aligned with companies that denounce the measure as bad for Texas business and has not wavered in his opposition.

Before the vote, Abbott released a statement touting "growing support" and listed endorsements from five socially conservative groups.

Kolkhorst called the bill an "opportunity to shut down predators and voyeurs." Police chiefs and top commanders from Texas' four biggest cities — Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Austin —said before the vote they had not found examples of restroom-related sexual assault and argued the bill would make Texas more, not less, dangerous.

"Folks will feel emboldened, they will feel that they can discriminate, they can target and they will feel they can have vigilante justice out there because of this law," Houston police Chief Art Acevedo said.

It's not just police from Texas' liberal big cities.

On Monday, police in Austin filed court documents alleging that a Texas transgender activist beaten in a carjacking was targeted because of her gender identity. Two brothers were charged with beating and pulling a gun on Stephanie Martinez before stealing her car last week.

Court documents show that one of the suspects allegedly told police they targeted Martinez because she was transgender. The day after her attack, Martinez was among hundreds who packed the Capitol to testify against the bill.

The bill is the second time this year that police leaders from Texas' biggest cities, which are also some of the largest in the U.S, are at odds with a marquee piece of Republican legislation. The same chiefs also unsuccessfully railed against a "sanctuary cities" ban signed by Abbott in May that lets police ask people during routine stops whether they're in the U.S. legally.

North Carolina earlier this year partially repealed its "bathroom bill" following economic and political backlash. In Texas, Republican supporters have dismissed the impact on North Carolina as exaggerated.

___

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: It's Not The Heat It's The Stupidity
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:23:44 AM »
Uggh.  Not more Bathroom Bullshit.  ::)

I still maintain that Unisex bathrooms with Private Stalls solves all the problems.  This is the cheapest alternative for biznesses and schools, since you only need one bathroom.  Stalls can be made secure against Peepers by making them floor to ceiling.  You are going to get molested while you wash your hands on the way out the door? ???  :icon_scratch:

The only thing more ridiculous than this was the brouhaha over Civil War Statues.  The distractions are becoming ridiculous.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:32:25 AM »
I'm beginning to think it's not the weird politicians that are the problem, they're just symptomatic of the larger issue ---IDIOCRACY.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
I'm beginning to think it's not the weird politicians that are the problem, they're just symptomatic of the larger issue ---IDIOCRACY.

Well said. Idiocracy is systemic in  both the Devilcratic and Retardocratic parties.

As a medical professional, I'm sure you will agree that our Idiocracy is not idiopathic; we pretty much know the cause.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 10:16:26 AM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

Well said. Idiocracy is systemic in  both the Devilcratic and Retardocratic parties.

As a medical professional, I'm sure you will agree that our Idiocracy is not idiopathic; we pretty much know the cause.

I don't really agree with the distribution in this Venn Diagram.  I DEFINITELY would not put Banksters in the 2nd bubble. Putting Teachers in the same category as Doctors also makes no sense.  Because they run a Criminal Racket in a Gated profession, Doctors make far more money than Teachers.   Maybe I will work up a Venn diagram for this myself.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
My belief is that there is an idiocracy now. But the reason for it mainly has to do with two things. One is the public education system in this country, which deliberately dumbs people down and prepares them to be passive worker bees. The other is media, first TV and now social media, like FB, Twitter, and Instagram.

The school thing was on purpose, and the elites get full credit for building a system that works (for them).

TV takes innocent children and makes them into rabid consumers, while also indoctrinating them along the lines of whatever narrative is currently being pushed by Rupert Murdoch and a few other media billionaires.

The social media thing, the whole Web 2.0 phenomenon seems to be an accident, but it is an unfortunate force multiplier for ignorance and misinformation.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:09:58 AM by Eddie »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:31:48 AM »
My belief is that there is an idiocracy now. But the reason for it mainly has to do with two things. One is the public education system in this country, which deliberately dumbs people down and prepares them to be passive worker bees. The other is media, first TV and now social media, like FB, Twitter, and Instagram.

The school thing was on purpose, and the elites get full credit for building a system that works (for them).

TV takes innocent children and makes them into rabid consumers, while also indoctrinating them along the lines of whatever narrative is currently being pushed by Rupert Murdoch and a few other media billionaires.

The social media thing, the whole Web 2.0 phenomenon seems to be an accident, but it is an unfortunate force multiplier for ignorance and misinformation.

Yep.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:33:19 AM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

Yep, they are huge part of phenomena of ignorance, but we wouldn't have measurements of intelligence without it, and we all have a fair amount of it ourselves. I am beginning to think that the "ignorance" began after WWII. "Infinite Growth", was HAPPENING. That archetypal STAMP is molded into a persons basic view.
It it is almost impossible to change. But, many people around the world do not have that same STAMP. I think that "stupidity", is the way most of the world views us now in "merica. 
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 06:21:04 PM »
Floor to ceiling stall requires individual light and ventilation. It is also a better place for voyuers to set up cameras, as nobody can disturb the one in there putting it in the ceiling or vent or fan. It is also a good place to rape without getting caught, less sight and sound of struggle. Rapist just needs to stand at sink doing makeup or follow victim into bathroom. This is not about bathrooms though. As eddie pointed out we have agendas and narratives dictated to us, so banning the use of 'ladies and gentlemen' in workplaces, 'boys and girls' in schools and fines for using 'he/him/she/her' are already in place. Signs in rainbow painted subways say it is an lgbtq friendly, bigotry free space. You are a bigot if you are a straight man but refuse to have sex with a woman with a penis. No such noises about lesbians being bigots for not having sex with women with penises, or straight women not wanting men with boobs...yet, bwahahaha!

You can also coach a 2nd tier gymnast with a Y chromosome to a  womens gold medal, as is happening in weightlifting, running and boxing already. Feminists are being forced to declare whether they are TERF (trans exclusionary) and if not must give back priviledges to biological males without complaint. The downside is the annual doubling of school age children going trans and interrupting puberty by taking hormones, so there is no real going back. I think environmental and lifestyle factors responsible for increasing androgyny  play a part in this, but so do feminist teachers favourable treatment of girls.

As knarf said, this was not the orthodoxy before ww2. Ww3 otoh will be lost by the lgbtq army, which must provide for breastfeeding in battle and if anyone feels the war begun by bush/cheney/rumsfeld now 17 yrs and counting is not worth putting their head above the parapet for, can simply say they are transitioning and get a pass.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:35:43 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME