AuthorTopic: The Mystery Prep Challenge Contest  (Read 1963 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery Prep Challenge Contest
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »
I was actually about to write that before, say that u dont want a pull out awning because it is more obvious campervan, and u can attach tarps to the van with the magnets, keeping water from dripping between the van and extra room, fairly obvious. Then i remembered you saying you are only doing a dome and not the cube as well because its too much room. I figured the dome cant sit flat against the van, so didnt post. Based on premise a dome is being done to show the naysayers without any square living space, the answer cant be right.

U dont need any cheap clips, just fold thetarp under the magnet. Easier to pull off and wont chip paint.

AZ still beat you to it for the full answer.

The clips probably are not necessary in most wind conditions, they are more of a security precaution than anything else.  They won't damage the van paint job, they go on OVER the tarp and around the small gutter that is at the top of the van where the raised roof is attached.  Pinned this way, the water from rain is guided into the gutter and doesn't leak at the join point.

The Geodesic Gazebo will now be attached either at the end or the side of the awning either the side one or the back one, not sure yet.  Actually, I will set it up so it could be done either way.  I am working on a seamless connection system for that.  The Gazebo will add another 50 sq ft or so to the total arrangement.

RE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:12:49 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
Im not disputing the prize, as i didnt give the answer. i had the full answer from the start along with the possibility of holding insulation to the interior, but yours is already insulated.  AZ just arrived at it because he needed a way to hold up his playboy centrefolds without putting tape or gum on the interior of his classic kombi.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:44:03 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »
Im not disputing the prize, i had the full answer from the start along with the possibility of holding insulation to the interior, but yours is already insulated. would never have mentioned later it if it didnt come up. AZ just needed a way to hold up his playboy centrefolds without putting tape or gum on the interior of his classic kombi.

If you had the full answer from the start, you should have just posted it.  Then you would have been the WINNER of the Kewpie Dolls.  As it is, you are  just someone who CLAIMS they knew the answer before AZ got it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
By your reasoning anyone can now come and post the right answer and be equal first. I an not dusputing the result as i obviously didnt post it, because we were led to believe there would be no square living space beside the van. Post hoc justifications dont change faulty working premises.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:02:02 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 08:10:01 PM »
By your reasoning anyone can now come and post the right answer and be equal first. I an not dusputing the result as i obviously didnt post it, because we were led to believe there would be no square living space beside the van. Post hoc justifications dont change faulty working premises.

You're the one doing post hoc, claiming you knew the answer before AZ posted it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
I did not submit an answer on what they are FOR. So it is not post hoc, but u didnt even ask if az knew what they were BEFORE reading my answer as he suggests he did not. There was a premise there would be no square living space beside the van, precluding the most obvious answer, also knowing the van is already insulated and do not need to hold up anything inside.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 12:02:10 AM »
I did not submit an answer on what they are FOR. So it is not post hoc, but u didnt even ask if az knew what they were BEFORE reading my answer as he suggests he did not. There was a premise there would be no square living space beside the van, precluding the most obvious answer, also knowing the van is already insulated and do not need to hold up anything inside.

The OP originally stated:

To WIN the contest, you must correctly identify what it is and what I will use it for.

Now, AFTER AZ ALREADY ANSWERED THIS, you come back and say, "Hey, I knew the answer!"  That's as Post Hoc as you get.

There has never been any stipulation that no other living space would be rectangular.  In fact, prior to everyone saying Geodesics were impossible due to the angles involved, I was just going to put up a 7'X7'X10' box as an addition.  I even drew diagrams of that, available for your perusal in the Stealth Van thread.  I am only doing the Geo Gazebo to show the techniques and how it is done.  Maybe someday I'll do a full dome, but I doubt it.  That is a Family Size portable home, for someone like LD & GM and their 2 boys.   I'll never need a shelter that big. I said that already too.

Could you please give up being a jerk for a while UB? Aren't there some anti-Jerk meds you could prescribe yourself?  All you ever do in your posting these days is try to prove me wrong on something. "You used more than $.50 in lighter fluid!"  "The rocks won't stay hot all night!" etc. It's getting very old, very fast.

RE
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:15:01 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 03:01:50 AM »
Now where's my damn doll ?

In fact Ed & Bob get one as well. We all want stepford wife quality equipment, no chessie carnival crap either.

All righty, then. Congrats!

Just tell RE where to ship it.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 04:29:00 AM »
OMFG.

THESE MAGNETS ARE BEYOND BELIEF!  :o

I can break two of them off the stack by hand because I have enough leverage.  I get it to 90 degrees then twist and pull at the edge.  It is still hard to do though.

Down to 2 magnets, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do by hand, unless you were Arnold Schwartzenegger with really small fingers.  The only way to pull apart the last 2 magnets is with pliers.

Your next problem is anything at all on your desk that is ferro-magnetic.  It all gets SUCKED IN to the magnetic Black Hole of the cylinder of magnets.  Knives, Screwdrivers, flashlights... whatever is on your desk gets SUCKED IN to the Black Hole of Magnetism!  This wall extends a good 2 feet around the magnet when all 8 of them are together.

There is no fucking way a tarp will come off SaVANnah with these thing holding it on, even in a Cat 5 Hurricane.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 04:40:51 AM »

The OP originally stated:

To WIN the contest, you must correctly identify what it is and what I will use it for.

Now, AFTER AZ ALREADY ANSWERED THIS, you come back and say, "Hey, I knew the answer!"  That's as Post Hoc as you get.

There has never been any stipulation that no other living space would be rectangular.  In fact, prior to everyone saying Geodesics were impossible due to the angles involved, I was just going to put up a 7'X7'X10' box as an addition.  I even drew diagrams of that, available for your perusal in the Stealth Van thread.  I am only doing the Geo Gazebo to show the techniques and how it is done.  Maybe someday I'll do a full dome, but I doubt it.  That is a Family Size portable home, for someone like LD & GM and their 2 boys.   I'll never need a shelter that big. I said that already too.

Could you please give up being a jerk for a while UB? Aren't there some anti-Jerk meds you could prescribe yourself?  All you ever do in your posting these days is try to prove me wrong on something. "You used more than $.50 in lighter fluid!"  "The rocks won't stay hot all night!" etc. It's getting very old, very fast.

RE

No i did not say i knew what they were for in your application, i knew what they would be for in the most usual application, however this could not apply to you so there was no point posting it.  Your last word on your plans prior to posing this question is u would not be doing a box because it would be far more living space than you need, but will still be making a spherical gazebo to prove naysayers wrong. That is as good as telling us your van is made of wood then asking what magnets are for.

All you do in relation to MY posts is misinterpret and attack, as you seem to struggle understanding the point. I point out very little of what you forget or exaggerate  and that is only after you treat discussion as contest.

No UB, you attack and nay-say everything I write, and have been doing so for years.  Along with GO, Karpatok and Moriarty, you were one of the principle players in the Napalm Attack on the Diner during the Convocation in 2014.  Your objective has always been to undermine this site and what it stands for.  I tolerate you, but you are not helpful to have around.  I will not miss you when you are gone.

RE
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:43:59 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 11:01:08 AM »
Now where's my damn doll ?

In fact Ed & Bob get one as well. We all want stepford wife quality equipment, no chessie carnival crap either.

All righty, then. Congrats!

Just tell RE where to ship it.

What did I do to piss you the fuck off anyway.....
That's not Stepford wife quality equipment. That's 2 & 1/4 Stepford wife.....
I need something I can neatly fold & put in the closet,  NOT a Crisco laden heifer ! PAAAALLEEEEEESSEEEE  :emthdown:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
OMFG.

THESE MAGNETS ARE BEYOND BELIEF!  :o

I can break two of them off the stack by hand because I have enough leverage.  I get it to 90 degrees then twist and pull at the edge.  It is still hard to do though.

Down to 2 magnets, it's IMPOSSIBLE to do by hand, unless you were Arnold Schwartzenegger with really small fingers.  The only way to pull apart the last 2 magnets is with pliers.

Your next problem is anything at all on your desk that is ferro-magnetic.  It all gets SUCKED IN to the magnetic Black Hole of the cylinder of magnets.  Knives, Screwdrivers, flashlights... whatever is on your desk gets SUCKED IN to the Black Hole of Magnetism!  This wall extends a good 2 feet around the magnet when all 8 of them are together.

There is no fucking way a tarp will come off SaVANnah with these thing holding it on, even in a Cat 5 Hurricane.

RE

A cat 5 will blow YOU, Your Rig including the tarp into oblivion.
Cat 5's uproot large trees.
Cat 5's mean get the fuck outta' Dodge.
Other than that scenario, life should be peachy  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »

What did I do to piss you the fuck off anyway.....
That's not Stepford wife quality equipment. That's 2 & 1/4 Stepford wife.....
I need something I can neatly fold & put in the closet,  NOT a Crisco laden heifer ! PAAAALLEEEEEESSEEEE  :emthdown:

Hey AZ, I spent five whole minutes looking for her.

OK then, you can have this one that we had in the back. Slightly used:

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
Put some lipstick on the bitch aaaaaand SHIP IT.....
Swap out the drapes & carpet to blonde    :icon_mrgreen: