AuthorTopic: I Spy Doom Vol 2 Issue 3: Improving Personal Heaters  (Read 185 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
I Spy Doom Vol 2 Issue 3: Improving Personal Heaters
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:35:09 AM »

gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard & vidcam of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner July 26, 2017

Discuss this Video at the Doomsteading Table inside the Diner

In our last episode of I Spy Doom, we looked at ways to make a very simple Personal Heater from just a Soup Can, a Rock and a source of heat like a Tea Light Candle or Can of Sterno.  In fact you can use about anything that you can burn as a source of heat in one of these things, from Twigs to Newzpaper.  It's not a huge source of heat, but in a very small space like a 2 man tent or a refrigerator box for the homeless, it will make a decent difference in the overall warmth of your shelter.  You can of course also use more than one of them at a time, just be sure you put it somewhere you are not going to knock it over.  A good way to do that is to hang it from the ridge line or roof of your shelter.  Cut holes in either side of the can and make a hanger from some piano wire.

Generally speaking, overnight while you sleep it's not a good practice to leave your heater burning while you sleep in a tent or cardboard refrigerator box.  It could get windy or a stray dog might come by and jostle the box, starting a fire which you would not be aware of until it was too late.  However, you shouldn't need a fire burning while you are sleeping, your sleeping bag and cold weather clothing should be enough to insulate you through the night, when you wake up you can start them up again and wait for them to take the chill out of the morning air before you crawl out of your bag.  After you extinguish the fire prior to sleeping also, you can take your last couple of Hot Rocks, wrap them in a towel and put them at the bottom of your sleeping bag.  That will keep you warm in even the coldest temperatures!

In today's episode, we're going to improve on our Soup Can/Rock Heater with another cheap addition, an insulator & reflector.  Staying as cheap as possible again to make this Homeless Affordable, we're using just cardboard, aluminum foil and duct tape.  This combination of materials is very useful in a wide variety of applications, and future episodes of I Spy Doom will feature other devices constructed in this way.  We'll also go on to show how they can be improved on with a slightly higher cost from hardware materials you can purchase at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Stay Warm in Collapse!  You don't want to end up as a Homeless Cripple Freezing to Death on the Streets of Palmer, Alaska.

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN