AuthorTopic: You want to walkabout it?  (Read 18806 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
You want to walkabout it?
« on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:19 PM »
I've been lurking since I went walkabout.  Here and there.  Not much to do on the internet that I care about.  So many times I'm sitting with the laptop and nothing to do.  I've been conditioned with my Diner time.  For a while I thought I'd be better off leaving the negativity of doom behind, but alas, I'm here because it's a niche I fit into.  I'm not into sports, and I've given up on permaculture being anything more then something to do that is "meaningful."  Whatever the fuck that means at this point on the collapse curve.  It's a similar story with bamboo.  I still play the shakuhachi flute on a daily basis, but that's about the extent of it...well and I gaze upon the 13 different varieties I have growing on this 1.6 acres and wonder how long it will be before it becomes a problem.  I still love bamboo, but nobody cares...nobody.

Today I went and got a hair follicle test performed.  I paid for it.  It's been 3 months since I smoked herb.  If it comes back negative then I'm going to pull the trigger on going OTR.  Roehl Transport is waiting on me to call them to initiate the process of getting hired by them.  That will mean a hair follicle test and a DOT physical.  That's why I paid for the hair test out of pocket.  I've been researching company sponsored CDL programs for a couple of months now and Roehl is the best I've found.  I want to make sure I will pass before I initiate with them, which is why I paid for the test.  I should hear back sometime next week.  If it comes back negative then I'll start the process with Roehl.  I've been studying for the "commercial learners permit" (clp).  I've got to go test at the local dmv for the CLP, pass the hair test and DOT physical, and then it's off to Wisconsin for 4 weeks of cdl school. 

They pay $500 a week during the school and put you up in a hotel.  After the 4 weeks of school I go OTR with a trainer for approximately 19 days.  During that period I get paid $90 a day.  After the trainer feels I'm ready I go back to Wisconsin and test for the CDl, and if I pass I get issued a truck and they send me home with a load.  I'll be towing a flatbed trailer because that's what they have available in their fleet in my area.  They will start me at 39 cents per mile which is about top pay in the industry for a rookie.  Plus there are other incentives like tarp pay and a few other miscellaneous payments for different duties.  Flatbedding can be a bit difficult, especially during the winter when your trying to tarp a load with a frozen tarp.  I'm not worried about any of that.  They say I can expect between 2300-2600 miles a week.  I'll be out for about two weeks at a time and then home for a couple of days.  The contract is 9 months.  The local truck driving schools are around 5k out of pocket.  This allows me to get paid while I train rather then paying, and then it's just 9 mo driving for Roehl to pay them back.  After that period I am free to go work for whoever I want.  After a year OTR with no accidents you are considered experienced by the industry and can get any driving job you want.  I plan to get a regional, hopefully dedicated route after a year.  That comes with a schedule so I won't be gone for so long. 

I can expect to make close to 50k the first year as a rookie.  Of course that will depend on how often I'm willing to break the law with respect to drive time. 

Anyways, that's my update. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJimiVFCjJ0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oJimiVFCjJ0</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: You want to walkabout it?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »
LD,

You're experiencing Ascension symptoms.

You're bored with the meatsuit reality. I get that. Welcome to my world.

Take care of your shadow work & you won't be so restless....  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:17:50 PM »
50 K I considered a good wage thirty years ago.  No offense to you L.D., you gotta do what you got to do and with a family you can't take risks to have a chance for more right now.  I get that but I bring up the money because you will be in here complaining about not being able to make ends meet after you are certified and on the road. 

Getting more is not about being greedy.  Getting more is about having options later on because in America money is freedom.  Those are the rules and I did not make them.  I hope your contract sets you free to do other things in a reasonable period of time.  You are being taken advantage of but you know that.  It is what you need to do.

Have you checked out any other options?  Becoming an airplane mechanic is also something that will be in short supply and paid training is available for that too.  I suspect that would pay better.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:24:25 PM »
I am looking forward to reading your stories from the road.

Far as the walkabout from the Diner goes, everybody here gets to take a break from Doom occasionally.  Except me.

Watch your mirrors.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:45:01 PM »
yep, all of that :emthup:

I know I'm being taken advantage of.  But isn't that just the nature of money?  We sell our time for it, and there ain't no time that works out is there?  Because our time is not worth money.  Our time is priceless.  Our time can't be quantified with money, but we all quantify our time with money based on how much of it we can get.  Based on what we are willing to do for it. 

Yeah, I'm tired of reality, but what choice do I have?  We deal in reality whether we want to or not.  Our time may not be worth money, but reality is. 

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
yep, all of that :emthup:

I know I'm being taken advantage of.  But isn't that just the nature of money?  We sell our time for it, and there ain't no time that works out is there?  Because our time is not worth money.  Our time is priceless.  Our time can't be quantified with money, but we all quantify our time with money based on how much of it we can get.  Based on what we are willing to do for it. 

Yeah, I'm tired of reality, but what choice do I have?  We deal in reality whether we want to or not.  Our time may not be worth money, but reality is.

The fastest growing, and also reasonably paid, job in the USA is that of a Wind Turbine Technician.  If you are not afraid of heights, I recommend you pursue a career there. If we even have a future, which is highly doubtful, it will be in Renewable Energy jobs that CANNOT be outsourced AND NO profit over people and planet CAPTALISM, period.

Anyone that thinks human civilization can survive with Capitalism controlling everything is a wedge (see my other post).  ;D

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
Driving over the open road seems like such a lonely job. I'm not sure it would be good for your kids or your marriage. Hold tight to your family somehow......I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Not that it matters, but if I were younger, I'd do exactly what AG suggested. I'd become an alternative power tech of some sort.....it's basically just a path for a union electrician. Seven year route to your own license. Electricity is dangerous of course. Strong magic.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 10:43:13 PM »
Driving over the open road seems like such a lonely job. I'm not sure it would be good for your kids or your marriage. Hold tight to your family somehow......I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Not that it matters, but if I were younger, I'd do exactly what AG suggested. I'd become an alternative power tech of some sort.....it's basically just a path for a union electrician. Seven year route to your own license. Electricity is dangerous of course. Strong magic.

OTR is very lonely.  The advent of the Internet made it slightly better, I was there for the beginning of that.  I can't imagine how it must have been before cell phones and the internet.  It's very hard on marriages, that is for sure, but being broke is even harder.

7 years to an Electrician's License is a LONG time Eddie.  You could get a Nursing ticket or even a Dental License faster than that.  LD doesn't need money in 7 years, he needs it right NOW.  There aren't a lot of opportunities to make a decent wage out there right now in any field.  Roamer worked on Wind Turbines for a while up on the high towers.  The money was not good, that's why he ended up back on the rigs in the Bakken.  He's back doing something in renewable energy now, not sure what.

I still think going into the Cleaning Bizness is LD's best shot.  He has the truck & trailer and it is year around work where he is his own boss.  He's not working for the man.  Up here, the Pro Cleaners are booked so solid it took me using connections to get one in here this time.  They get $30-40/hour.  40 hours a week, that is $60-80K.  He can still grow Bamboo.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 05:00:14 AM »
7 years is a long time but if you go for a trade you are working that whole time being paid.  Carpentry was 4 years in Canada if you are apprenticed you get paid while at school as well and there are wage guidelines to avoid exploitation. I went back to school at 30 and it was hard to toe the line during my apprenticeship.  That was pre kids and wife so it would be even harder now. Wages seem to be really low in the southern US I've noticed. Do apprenticed tradespeople get decent wages?
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:20:34 AM »
7 years is a long time but if you go for a trade you are working that whole time being paid.  Carpentry was 4 years in Canada if you are apprenticed you get paid while at school as well and there are wage guidelines to avoid exploitation. I went back to school at 30 and it was hard to toe the line during my apprenticeship.  That was pre kids and wife so it would be even harder now. Wages seem to be really low in the southern US I've noticed. Do apprenticed tradespeople get decent wages?

Probably half the guys in my complex are carpenters.  They are all unemployed.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 05:37:18 AM »
Licensed?
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »
First off I want to say that I really appreciate the suggestions.  I think the cleaning biz would be a good move, but I ain't doin' it.  I'll be damned if I'm going to clean up after rich fuckers...it's bad enough cutting their grass, shrubbery, and putting mulch down for them.  It is a good idea, one that is feasible, but I'm not going to be a janitor. 

There is a stereotype about landscapers being losers.  Well, not so much "landscapers," but more "yard service" types...which is basically what I do.  "Landscaping" being a glorified euphemism for "yard man."  The stereotype is true because anybody can be a "yard man," and in the south most people don't want to do it because it's fuckin' hot and humid and miserable outside during the summer.  You don't have to go to school or have a license beyond paying your municipality to have a business...and a lot of guys don't even do that.  You're supposed to have a commercial spraying license if you are going to spray, but I'd say 80% don't have that either.  I don't.  It's $140 to get the license between materials and testing.  It's $100 if you get caught. 

Anyways, I bring up those stereotypes because they are prevalent in our society.  So, do I want to be a "yard man/maid" service?  No thanks.  It was fun while I was smoking ganga and drinking beer everyday.  It was fun pretending that I was a "business man," an owner operator...something with a future.  It works just fine so long as I live in somebody else's house for free, have Medicaid for my family, and now food stamps.  Then I make all the money we need so long as nothing major breaks...like the heating and air...or a transmission...or a leg.  What future is there in that?  I'm one injury away from making no money.  Half the money goes right back into running the business.  Tires, brakes, blades, oil, more equipment, gas, truck and mower payments, insurance...on and on it goes.  I buy new blades just about once a month and that's $40 bucks a pop. 

A business like I have is to supplement some shitty job, and in most cases it's a part time job.  Most guys in this business have a job working for the man and hustle yards to make extra cash.  It's great for that, but as a sole means to make your nut it's not, and that's because lawn equipment is fuckin' expensive.  I got an entry level mower and it cost $3500.  $100 a month in payments.  I still owe $2700 on it.  By the time I pay it off, if I even were to get to that point, I would need another one.  I've got 130 hours on it already and I just got it last year.  I need new tires for it and there $180 each I think (I couldn't fuckin' believe it when he told me how much those back tires cost).  I need new truck tires already which will be about a grand.  Just put new front pads on.  I've got some electrical issue that's in the truck computer that's making it so that the trailer brakes work only half of the time and it will cost a minimum of $600 to have fixed.  I need a bagger for the fall and that's $500, and the cheap ass hedge trimmer attachment from lowes ain't cuttin' it any longer, literally, and the commercial blades for my power unit cost $400. 

It never ends.  So you need another income stream so that you can afford to buy all of that shit.  How are you supposed to pay bills when you spend half of your money just keeping the business going?  I'm not complaining.  Just pointing out that my business is not going to support my family beyond living in someone else's house with Medicaid and food stamps. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:52:24 AM »
Licensed?

Some yes, some no.  The issue is a lack of work.  In the summer, if you will go to Barrow or some other buttfuck location you can get some work.  In fact they are moving some entire villages off the coast because of sea level rise, my upstairs neighbor hopes to get one of those jobs in the spring.  He and his wife hardly see each other.  Right now, she is on the slope doing Janitorial work, and he i Mr. Mom watching the kids.  If he gets a carpentry job, she will be at home watching the kids.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 05:56:26 AM »
First off I want to say that I really appreciate the suggestions.  I think the cleaning biz would be a good move, but I ain't doin' it.  I'll be damned if I'm going to clean up after rich fuckers...it's bad enough cutting their grass, shrubbery, and putting mulch down for them.  It is a good idea, one that is feasible, but I'm not going to be a janitor. 

The problem here is you think this work is "beneath" you, which it is.

BUT
.. you can make $80K/year doing it!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 06:06:06 AM »
Which brings me to my decision to go trucking. 

50K in the first year, as a rookie, is feasible.  Probably not likely, probably more like 40k, but at 39 cents per mile, and with other miscellaneous pay, it is possible to do.  Granted, I'm gone 14 days at a time, sometimes more, and only home for a couple of days when I'm home.  I'm occasionally working 18 hour days.  In fact, my life becomes driving a truck most of my waking hours to make that money.  I will mostly be just sitting on my ass driving a truck, but it's still work. 

It's one of the only remaining opportunities to make a descent living that doesn't require years of school.  I'm not going back into the wealthcare system.  In fact, that was the alternative for me.  I can get paramedic in two years at the local community college.  I can expect to make about 36k the first year after those two years.  After ten years I'd be making about 45k.  That would about max out paramedic pay around here.  Dead babies, decapitations, body decompositions, crack heads, pissy drunks, and general societal incompetence, stupidity, and abuse is the daily fare of a paramedic.  I did it for 8 years...no thanks.  Nursing isn't much better either.  It pays a hell of a lot better, but you've got to do your time eating crow whipping asses and changing adult diapers and what not.  Fuck that shit.  Not to mention the whole god damn thing is a fuckin' racket...hence "wealthcare." 

So truckin'...yeah...it's a viable option for me.  I'll get paid while I'm getting the cdl, and after a couple of months I'll be making 40k to just fuckin' drive a truck!  I welcome being alone all of the time.  I've got the internet to provide companionship.  I'll still be in my son's life's.  They can see me via facetime.  I'll be home a couple times a month.  Most importantly I'll be providing the money my family needs.  I'll be providing the healthcare and the roof and the food.  That's important to me.  It's really all that's left for me to do.  I think long and hard about what it is that I want out of life at this point, and the answer is that I want to provide for my family. 

Lastly, truckin' is a good choice because it's quite literally the heart of our society.  To my estimation the shit hits the fan the moment the trucks are no longer a viable solution for our society.  The day the trucks stop moving we are all fucked.  Every single person in our society is dependent upon the trucks moving all of the shit around.  Take a look around you and it's a good bet that 90% of what you can see has been on a truck at least once.  I don't need to go on about that here because as a Diner you are fully aware of that fact.  So, it's a career that pays a good living wage.  It's a career that I can support my family with.  It's a career that will last as long as BAU lasts since truckin' pretty much is the definition of BAU.  So it is...