AuthorTopic: You want to walkabout it?  (Read 18807 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Women Should Let Men Serve Them - A note from Misa
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »
You're running out of time.  Humble yourself, resist "founder's syndrome", and refocus on the goal if you're truly committed to your non-profit legacy.

I am out of time.

SUN☼ will do what it will do.  All I can do now is say how I would like to see my legacy spent.  It's definitely NOT supposed to go for a single family dwelling.

Who besides you & Knarf are on the Board of Directors for the monastery?

RE

Knarf is Abbot and Registered Agent but is not an officer or a director.

Officers
President—age 42, Bosnia veteran, monk 1999-2005, BS in Psych, MA in Early Childhood Ed
VP (not required)
Secretary—age 37, BS and MS in Sociology
Treasurer (Misa) – 58, BS in Geology

Directors
Age 65, Practicing DDS
Age 87(?), Professor Emeritus and former chair in Psychology

That's an impressive list of Board Members.

When are you set to vote on whether Knarf will be allowed to collect his SS?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2017, 01:58:21 AM »

To be clear, Knarf spoke out of turn when he said that I gave him permission to apply for SS benefits.  On the contrary, our Board of Directors will make that decision.  I have no intention of explaining why that formal step is necessary.  The reasons might become clearer to you if you would spend your abundant free time educating yourself on the nuances of non-profit tax law and ethics, rather than engaging in Trump-like pettiness on The Diner.  You might even pick up a few pointers about how best to conduct your own non-profit.  In that regard, you certainly have more than enough on your plate.

I will give you credit for informing LD that a monolithic dome built with donated funds should probably not be a single-family dwelling, the reason being that it could violate the “self-inurement” clause.  As I understand it, the only way that would work is if LD and family paid income tax on the fair market value of what the dome would bring as a rental (similar to the arrangement for parsonages).

At about four years in, you have a 501c3 for an “intentional community” in which contact between the members is 99.9% virtual, and largely abusive.   At the current rate, someone would wind up dead if the core group ever attempted to live communally—a moot point, since, at present, SUN has no land, no gardens, no livestock, no buildings--not even a cogent game plan.  Yet you would accuse this 11-year veteran treasurer of a 45  year-old monastery of making ill-considered financial decisions.  In your view, it can only and ever be because I’m a castrating cunt—certainly not because my concerns may have any legal legitimacy. 

But non-profit legalities aside, monks also have ethical constraints.  In my personal opinion, “Ima get me mine” isn’t the best fit with “vow of poverty” and “live simply so that others may simply live”.   SS program solvency is becoming a real problem.  Why apply for money we don’t need, while other people are in desperate need? 

Your charter, as elucidated in a November 2013 SUN blog post, states “The first task of the SUN Project is to raise funds to empower the people who want to show the way by building a working intentional community, based on permaculture principles. If we can do that, then the ongoing task of SUN will be to educate, raise awareness of the need for such communities, and to share the knowledge that we’ve gained.”  I fail to see how a family of 4 and a debilitated boomer living together on a boat has anything to do with modeling permaculture.

But okay, you long to spend your final days on earth playing pirate.  Sadly, you have neither the money nor the physical capacity to do it alone.  Since LD is evidently your only hope of fulfilling your dream (maybe because you’ve alienated everyone else you could ever have turned to, including GM) you unapologetically attempt to drive a wedge between LD and his wife, referring to each of them in the most unflattering terms, in hopes that he’ll somehow relent and join you as an indentured servant on the high seas.  (He must, you know, because he owes you for the trailer and photography equipment.  And you would love nothing better than to hold the cost of a boat over his head as well.)  Yet you would have us believe that GM is the selfish, controlling one in this equation.

You're running out of time.  Humble yourself, resist "founder's syndrome", and refocus on the goal if you're truly committed to your non-profit legacy.

BANG!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZEIMQ42-oU?ecver=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JZEIMQ42-oU?ecver=1</a>
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: You want to walkabout it?
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2017, 02:09:37 AM »
If you use the money to build a Monolithic, it should be used as a Community Center, School, Theater and Grow Dome.  The community members who live on the property should live in Portable Dwellings like Vans, Campers and Sailboats if you are by the water.  TeePees, Yurts and Igloos also good dwellings.

But you will not do this with the money.  You will piss it away on what She Who Must Be Obeyed wants.  So it goes.

RE

With this last statement you demonstrate not only your unsuitability to lead anything, including a non-profit, but also a willingness to destroy such legacy as you meant to leave. By all means, continue to give voice to your inner hunchback. Pull the pillars of your temple to yourself down upon your own head. Alienate nearly every acquaintance you've made over the last decade. Run the fucking table.

You're on a roll.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »
You're on a roll.

So are you.  When was the last time you gave away food when someone knocked on your door?

Walk a mile in my shoes chief.  You are even more judgemental than I am, and you always go Ad Hom first.  The "Mansplaining" bullshit you picked up from your SO is just part of it.  I wish you the best in Collapse, you are a dear friend.  You get the job as executor of my Will also down in the Lower 48. lol.  You can't escape that responsibility, at least not so long as you are alive.

Good luck getting that one worked out.  It is pretty damn detailed and involved.  I don't skimp on word count, particularly not in my Last Will & Testament:icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2017, 03:02:50 AM »
When was the last time you gave away food when someone knocked on your door?

Yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Walk a mile in my shoes chief.  You are even more judgemental than I am, and you always go Ad Hom first. 
Anyone reading the thread, or who has been paying attention for a while here knows that you owe a burden of proof for this particular calumny. Who do you think you are, Trump?

The "Mansplaining" bullshit you picked up from your SO is just part of it. 

Actually, I had read the Solnit article in a magazine and was the person who told her about it, thus putting a word to a phenomenon she had experienced in 30 years of working in a "man's world." Not that you, a scion of white male privilege, would know or care, I am also a lucky beneficiary of this privilege, but at least have the grace and good sense to recognize it.

You get the job as executor of my Will also down in the Lower 48. lol.  You can't escape that responsibility, at least not so long as you are alive.

Good luck getting that one worked out.  It is pretty damn detailed and involved.  I don't skimp on word count, particularly not in my Last Will & Testament:icon_sunny:
RE

You might want to work on finding someone less enthusiastically disinclined that me to execute. I guarantee you that those spoor cylinders are headed for a landfill.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2017, 07:22:42 AM »

To be clear, Knarf spoke out of turn when he said that I gave him permission to apply for SS benefits.  On the contrary, our Board of Directors will make that decision.  I have no intention of explaining why that formal step is necessary.  The reasons might become clearer to you if you would spend your abundant free time educating yourself on the nuances of non-profit tax law and ethics, rather than engaging in Trump-like pettiness on The Diner.  You might even pick up a few pointers about how best to conduct your own non-profit.  In that regard, you certainly have more than enough on your plate.

I will give you credit for informing LD that a monolithic dome built with donated funds should probably not be a single-family dwelling, the reason being that it could violate the “self-inurement” clause.  As I understand it, the only way that would work is if LD and family paid income tax on the fair market value of what the dome would bring as a rental (similar to the arrangement for parsonages).

At about four years in, you have a 501c3 for an “intentional community” in which contact between the members is 99.9% virtual, and largely abusive.   At the current rate, someone would wind up dead if the core group ever attempted to live communally—a moot point, since, at present, SUN has no land, no gardens, no livestock, no buildings--not even a cogent game plan.  Yet you would accuse this 11-year veteran treasurer of a 45+ year-old monastery of making ill-considered financial decisions.  In your view, it can only and ever be because I’m a castrating cunt—certainly not because my concerns may have any legal legitimacy. 

But non-profit legalities aside, monks also have ethical constraints.  In my personal opinion, “Ima get me mine” isn’t the best fit with “vow of poverty” and “live simply so that others may simply live”.   SS program solvency is becoming a real problem.  Why apply for money we don’t need, while other people are in desperate need? 

Your charter, as elucidated in a November 2013 SUN blog post, states “The first task of the SUN Project is to raise funds to empower the people who want to show the way by building a working intentional community, based on permaculture principles. If we can do that, then the ongoing task of SUN will be to educate, raise awareness of the need for such communities, and to share the knowledge that we’ve gained.”  I fail to see how a family of 4 and a debilitated boomer living together on a boat has anything to do with modeling permaculture.

But okay, you long to spend your final days on earth playing pirate.  Sadly, you have neither the money nor the physical capacity to do it alone.  Since LD is evidently your only hope of fulfilling your dream (maybe because you’ve alienated everyone else you could ever have turned to, including GM) you unapologetically attempt to drive a wedge between LD and his wife, referring to each of them in the most unflattering terms, in hopes that he’ll somehow relent and join you as an indentured servant on the high seas.  (He must, you know, because he owes you for the trailer and photography equipment.  And you would love nothing better than to hold the cost of a boat over his head as well.)  Yet you would have us believe that GM is the selfish, controlling one in this equation.

RE didn't buy GM any photography equipment, at least none that she uses professionally.  He bought a point and shoot for SUN and another little video cameral that's meant to be mounted to a helmet or the like.  GM owes RE nothing, in fact it's really the other way around.  I feel the same about that trailer.  I made it clear when he bought it for me that I did not owe him anything for it, and that it was payment for the work GM and I had done towards making SUN a reality. 

The irony here is that I had given up on SUN sometime after the Texas convocation.  I realized a long time ago that it was nothing more than an attempt at a legacy for RE to leave behind.  I think it occurred to me after WHD left the Diner.  He was at the Texas convocation, and he gave up because he did not want to deal with RE.  However, and this is the ironic part, GM had taken it upon herself to breath life into SUN, to make it happen.  I repeatedly told her that it would never amount to anything, that she was wasting her time, to which she would reply "but I have to try."  To her it had become a symbol of the change she would like to see in the world.  She saw it as being the change, only for real, and saw the benefits of having the non-profit as a sort of umbrella to make it easier to achieve the goals SUN had set out.  So GM joined local government in an attempt to get SUN taken seriously.  I repeatedly told her that she was wasting her time, but I supported her, after all the whole thing came about because of the time I had spent on the Diner. 

I was very concerned about getting into trouble with the government because none of us knew how to run a non-profit.  I've got enough sense to know that it's not something you can go into half cocked.  Yet at the same time it seemed to give GM something to believe in, and she had made up her mind, so I went along.  After the Inman Convocation and the barbecue in Saluda, my fears were met with affirmation.  My fears were proven correct.  Nobody gave as shit.  We generated interest because GM was in with the city council, and because of her contacts she was able to get a story done on SUN and we were in the Herald Journal.  I couldn't believe it.  It started to look like GM was actually going to pull it off.  However, the whole thing just felt like a con job to me.  Especially at the barbecue.  Here were Inman officials, even a senator had sent a field representative (Trey Gowdy), the big wigs of Inman city came to Saluda to hear the pitch.  The whole thing seemed other worldly to me.  I couldn't believe what was happening.  It looked like we were going to pull it off.  But in the end, the barbecue was the climax of SUN.  It's been all down hill since. 

I had given up on SUN, I had repeatedly told GM that she was wasting her time, only to be blown away by what was achieved, and then in the end to be proven correct.  I'm not even a board member of SUN any longer.  I'm not listed as a member of SUN on the documents.  GM, RE, and two of GM's associates are listed, both of them women.  Talk about irony.  Technically SUN is composed of RE and three women, two of which really have no idea what SUN is.  They just signed up because we needed members and GM trusted them.  One of them is a friend of GM's from high school.  Now, finally, GM wants absolutely nothing to do with SUN.  I've completely given up on the idea, obviously.  I'm getting ready to hit the road truckin' to make us money so that we can afford to be the change for ourselves. 

To me, SUN has become nothing but a liability.  I have no desire to run a non-profit.  I don't believe society wants a SUN.  I'm not qualified to run it.  The best I could do would be to use it for the advancement of bamboo.  In fact, I told GM that while she was laboring so ferociously to help make SUN happen.  I told her that I would bring bamboo skills to SUN.  My goal was to use SUN simply to spread bamboo culture. 

Nobody cares about bamboo in Merika, and it's a similar story with permaculture.  I'm tired of wasting my time trying to advance these causes.  I gave up a lot in my personal life in an attempt to address collapse issues.  It was all ill founded.  I should have just found a fukitiol that worked and stayed with my career in EMS.  I was full of idealism.  Not any longer.  There's not one ounce of idealism left in me, finally.  I'm firmly grounded in reality now. 

There will be no re-writing of the great Merikan Delusion until it collapses down to the ground.  My children will have to pick up whatever scraps of our civilization are useable after the rubble stops bouncing, and they'll have to try to build something with it.  Hopefully it will be at the end of their lives, and it will actually be my grandchildren that will have to do this work.  The best I can do now, with regards to collapse, is make as much money as possible to buy the best piece of the pie I can.  Yes, to get mine, for my family.  I will tell my children about reality.  They will know about collapse, but I imagine in a few more years I won't have to tell them anything.   It will be clear to everyone soon enough. 

SUN will never be anything more then a dream.  One man and his egoistic desire to leave a legacy behind.  Apparently that legacy will go to the landfill.  Surly is going to make sure of that. 

I don't know what will become of the money left to SUN.  I imagine it will be locked up in some loop hole accessible to no one.  We'll be dissolving SUN, and the money will go wherever failed non-profit money goes. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
When was the last time you gave away food when someone knocked on your door?

Yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Walk a mile in my shoes chief.  You are even more judgemental than I am, and you always go Ad Hom first. 
Anyone reading the thread, or who has been paying attention for a while here knows that you owe a burden of proof for this particular calumny. Who do you think you are, Trump?

The "Mansplaining" bullshit you picked up from your SO is just part of it. 

Actually, I had read the Solnit article in a magazine and was the person who told her about it, thus putting a word to a phenomenon she had experienced in 30 years of working in a "man's world." Not that you, a scion of white male privilege, would know or care, I am also a lucky beneficiary of this privilege, but at least have the grace and good sense to recognize it.

You get the job as executor of my Will also down in the Lower 48. lol.  You can't escape that responsibility, at least not so long as you are alive.

RE

You might want to work on finding someone less enthusiastically disinclined that me to execute. I guarantee you that those spoor cylinders are headed for a landfill.

You put up the "Mansplaining" Graphic before I put up the "Pussy Whipped" graphic.

Whether you are inclined or disinclined to do it, your job as Executor is to follow the instructions in the Will.  If you do not do that, you will be in violation of the law and it would be ethically reprehensible besides that.  You do not have the choice in the Will to dispose of my remains in Landfill.  I specify where and how my remains are to be buried.  I don't believe you are that ethically bankrupt you would do such a thing, and besides you are not the only Executor responsible for this so there are checks and balances.

In any event, you won't ever see my remains, my Executor up here in Alaska will send them to my sister for burial via FedEx to MO when it Absolutely, Positively has to be there overnight.  The Burial plot has been arranged and I am working on getting the Tombstone Cut.  Your main task is the financial one of getting my assets transferred to SUN☼ and getting the Intellectual Property of the Diner preserved.

Far as being the beneficiary of white male privilege is concerned, if fighting with SS to get my bennies is the measure of this, I am very privileged indeed.  Otherwise though, I have no chip on my shoulder because I was born a white male.  Unlike you, I do not find it necessary to apologize to women that I am a white male.  Nor will I listen to their bullshit when they tell me I am "mansplaining".  I certainly won't listen to you when you parrot this nonsense and Ad Hom me with it.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:01 AM »
I don't know what will become of the money left to SUN.  I imagine it will be locked up in some loop hole accessible to no one.  We'll be dissolving SUN, and the money will go wherever failed non-profit money goes.

Well, that will certainly be a nice waste of a tidy sum of money!  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »

RE

Maybe you should donate it all to some charitable cause.  Feed a bunch of starving children, or help out some refugees? 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2017, 07:59:19 AM »

RE

Maybe you should donate it all to some charitable cause.  Feed a bunch of starving children, or help out some refugees?

That is the Mission of SUN☼.  It's a charitable organization designed for just such a purpose.  The Red Cross, Christian Children's Fund etc are all just bloated organizations where 90% of the money you donate goes to pay their staff, particularly the directors who make tidy salaries.

Hopefully you will get the money to the people who need it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

RE

It's your money RE.  Why would you not donate it to some worthy cause?  I'm sure there are organizations that aren't bloated where the money will be used for some good.  Wouldn't you rather see it used for some good while you are still alive? 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »

RE

It's your money RE.  Why would you not donate it to some worthy cause?  I'm sure there are organizations that aren't bloated where the money will be used for some good.  Wouldn't you rather see it used for some good while you are still alive?

I AM donating it to a "Worthy Cause".  The worthy cause is SUN☼.

If SUN☼ is run well, it could raise more money and do still more good.  It's NOT a bloated organization, in fact there are currently only 3 people involved at all, and 2 of them don't want to be part of the organization anymore.  But when I am dead, it might be more appealing when you have complete control over it.

How you spend the money becomes important here if you want to continue the charitable aspect.  If you build a Grow Dome, you might feed people directly.  That would be one way to keep it going.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »
I certainly won't listen to you when you parrot this nonsense and Ad Hom me with it.

RE

No surprise here. You don't listen to anybody.

Somewhere in your auto-hagiography to describe yourself as unwilling to let go of an argument. Perhaps your defining characteristic. You might conside the other sorts of people with whom you share such a habit of mind.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 09:53:24 AM by RE »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
I certainly won't listen to you when you parrot this nonsense and Ad Hom me with it.

RE

No surprise here. You don't listen to anybody.

Somewhere in your auto-hagiography to describe yourself as unwilling to let go of an argument. Perhaps your defining characteristic. You might conside the other sorts of people with whom you share such a habit of mind.

Thanks for another Ad Hom Graphic.

I will refrain from dropping on another one in response.

I am so lucky.  I got a complete asshole for the Executor of my Will.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2017, 11:08:19 AM »
I am so lucky.  I got a complete asshole for the Executor of my Will.  ::)

RE

No, not complete. I still have room to expand my assholedom, and am presented with another opportunity daily.