AuthorTopic: Guy McPherson Accused of Abuse of Women in his Position as Grief Counselor  (Read 4444 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution

Well, my friend, it is difficult to begin with your stated assumption that I am delusional. You know enough about me to realize I do ALL the math, not simply what is convenient to our polluting self serving suicidal status quo. And hyperbole about the probabilities of colonizing mars versus running our civilization on renewable energy makes it crystal clear that you do not respect what I have posted, even though you may respect me personally.

That's not true.  I do respect what you have posted (although I have not seen a lot of it...admittedly).  I just don't believe we can keep our current BAU petroleum heavy way of life going for 7 billion people and counting on renewables. 

Yes, Foss is a shill for the fossil fuel industry. My assertion is based on the fact that she advocates happy talk ERoEI numbers for Fracking and petroleum. Yes, she admits coal is bad news and nuclear power is horribly expensive and polluting as well. So?

Like I said earlier, I don't know what she says or advocates.  I just know that she is part of the PO blogosphere.  I'm not disputing that she may be a shill for the fossil fuel industry.  I'm just saying that if she is I don't know how.  That's what I was asking for you to elucidate for me.  Just don't assume I've read everything that you have written here on the Diner. 

Her defense of Fracking amounts to shilling, period. If you want the long explanation, just ask. I will repost my polite letter to her several years ago tearing every single point she made about fossil fuels in general (and Fracking in particular) to tiny shreds. I made it clear that fossil fuels had a MUCH LOWER ERoEI than the fossil fuel industry shills like Charles Hall (Monsta's hero  ) claimed.

The response was ZERO on energy. There was no discussion of pollution costs. There was no discussion of my assertion that Energy Return on Energy Invested was actually CAPITAL RETURN on CAPITAL INVESTED (thanks in part, but not all, to subsidies coerced from we-the-people INCLUDED in the ERoEI happy talk Foss and Hall peddle) because fossil fuels are energy NEGATIVE when all the costs are included.

Ilargi "responded" by claiming I did not write with the "caliber" that was "acceptable" at the Automatic Enema Earth.

RE went to bat for me, but they were not interested, and neither was Ashvin, who was an admin there at the time.

So she defended fracking?  How so?  That seems pretty stupid from a pollution point of view.  As in, it's highly polluting.  It's also a bandaid on the problem of fossil energy depletion.  It's only viable due to gullible investors and government subsidies.  I had no idea that she was saying that fracking was a good idea. 

I will continue to disagree with you about our inability to survive without fossil fuels, and will continue to claim the "delusional" view, according to you, that, on the contrary, we guarantee our extinction by continuing to use fossil fuels.

Understand, I agree that we likely guarantee our extinction by continuing to use fossil fuels.  Also, I never said we could not survive without fossil fuels.  Good try though.  What I said was that our fossil fuel dependent global civilization will not survive without fossil fuels.  It was built up and designed around fossil energy and resources after all.  However, man was around long before fossil energy was discovered.  Entire civilizations rose and fell before fossil energy.  Given that we don't burn the Earth down we'll have more civilizations that don't require petroleum energy.  What I AM SAYING is that this particular civilization is FUCKED without fossil energy.  What I AM SAYING is that renewable energies are not going to continue this particular civilization unabated. 

I figure something like 80% of the population is going to parish in the next couple of decades.  That is going to happen because fossil energy is why that 80% is here in the first place.  Can we build a renewable energy civilization up after that?  Sure...I see no reason why not.  It's not as if we're going to run out of fossil fuels to continue creating renewable energy gewgaws after all.  We may very well use the remaining fossil energy, after an 80% die off, to engineer an ecotechnic world. 

But that has nothing to do with the Foss fossil fuel shilling MO. It is delusional to think we can continue to foul our nest and survive the sixth Mass Extinction. Why can't you understand that?

I do understand that.  Why can't you understand that I understand that?  Fossil fuel burning is going to kill us.  A civilization dependent on a limited resource is doomed.  Renewable energy is based on the energy of the SUN, and we've got billions of years of that left (I think). 

Can you demonstrate how we make one of those massive wind turbines without fossil energy?  I mean from mining the material to constructing the turbine?  Ditto with PV.  Honestly, that's the piece I'm missing in your renewable energy revolution story. 

Once again you are avoiding the central issue here of Foss's shilling for fossil fuels. Go to my news channel. I just posted the letter I sent her on October 4, 2013, while there probably WAS enough time to solve this mess.

Lucid, I am NOT trying to convince you that Renewable Energy is our only way out. I am trying to convince that that, whether it is or not, THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION. Why can't you understand that? When you are in a hole, it is customary to quite digging.

I'm done trying to convince you. RE insults me and then wants an apology! You claim to respect what I write yet you never cite the NUTS AND BOLTS of the GRADUAL transition from polluting energy that I point to in my numerous posts.

I think I'll have a cup of coffee and pretend I do not exist. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:59:42 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now

Once again you are avoiding the central issue here of Foss's shilling for fossil fuels. Go to my news channel. I just posted the letter I sent her on October 4, 2013, while there probably WAS enough time to solve this mess.

Lucid, I am NOT trying to convince you that Renewable Energy is our only way out. I am trying to convince that that, whether it is or not, THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION. Why can't you understand that? When you are in a hole, it is customary to quite digging.

I'm done trying to convince you. RE insults me and then wants an apology! You claim to respect what I write yet you never cite the NUTS AND BOLTS of the GRADUAL transition from polluting energy that I point to in my numerous posts.

I think I'll have a cup of coffee and pretend I do not exist. 

First of all, RE is an asshole.  Don't worry about his need for an apology.  It's ridiculous. 

Secondly, it seems to me that you are responding to things that I have not said, and not responding to things that I have. 

I fail to see how we get a renewable energy revolution that will support BAU.  BAU, by it's very nature, is unsustainable.  BAU is about continual growth in GDP.  It's about continual growth in the supply of money so that the fractional reserve bullshit can be paid back to continue giving the plutocrats their continual bolus of profit for profits sake. 

The entire system is destructive and unsustainable.  What I don't understand is why you advocate for a renewable energy revolution that will sustain this unsustainable mess?  It's unsustainable for a reason.  Our population is at least 80% bigger then it should be, and that due to fossil energy.  Our civilization was designed for fossil energy usage.  To make money. 

As far as I can tell, Agelbert, we agree on everything, with the caveat that I think renewable energy is not a solution to this predicament we have.  There is no solution to it.  That's the hard cold bitch of the truth.  There is no solution to a civilization that was built on the energy of fossil fuels, and that requires that same energy to continue to function. 

Further, I'm not convinced that we are facing an extinction event.  Obviously a lot of organisms are going extinct.  Everyday more of them go extinct.  I don't think humans will go extinct until the sun burns out.  We're facing apocalyptic ties, no doubt about that.  We're facing those times just as a drunk faces a hang over. 

I'm not saying that fossil energy is a good thing.  I'm saying that it's the thing that our civilization requires.  Without it, we don't go extinct, but most of us die.  What rises up from those ashes is anyone's guess.  I'm guessing that some type of ecotechnic future rises from it.  I don't think we lose the technologies and knowledge we have gained as a species.  I just think that most of us perish.  Just like the events of the black plague.  This is the new black death.  After a large percentage of the population dies we'll have a new golden age. 

We're in the middle of the crisis period of the black death.  Nothing anyone does is going to change the momentum of BAU at this point.  President Dump is the president after all. 

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
First of all, RE is an asshole.

I have NEVER denied being an asshole.  However, I am a well experienced one and good at it.  You are piss poor as an asshole.  Don't quit your day job.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now

I have NEVER denied being an asshole.  However, I am a well experienced one and good at it.  You are piss poor as an asshole.  Don't quit your day job.

RE

LOL!!!

For real RE? 

:D

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.  Thanks for the compliment RE.  I never have thought that I was an asshole.   :laugh:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner

RE

LOL!!!

For real RE? 

I guess I'll take that as a compliment.  Thanks for the compliment RE.  I never have thought that I was an asshole.   :laugh:

Quote from: The Head Asshole Around Here
You are piss poor as an asshole.  Don't quit your day job.

Take it from an expert, LD. You'e no asshole.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I never have thought that I was an asshole.

Then you are not being very realistic in your self-assessment.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
I never have thought that I was an asshole.

Then you are not being very realistic in your self-assessment.

RE

Have you lost your mind RE...LOL  :icon_scratch:

You do realize that you basically said I was not an asshole.  If I'm not good at being an asshole, then It's probably because I'm not an asshole.  If I'm not an asshole, then how can I be an asshole? 

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now

RE

LOL!!!

For real RE? 

Quote from: The Head Asshole Around Here
You are piss poor as an asshole.  Don't quit your day job.

Take it from an expert, LD. You'e no asshole.

LOL  :D :roll2:

One would think the head asshole would stop while he's behind.  But not RE, he'll just double down.   ;D

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: Nicole Foss Goes Public with her Criticisms of Guy McPherson
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
Further, I will wear my badge of "least of an asshole around here" proudly.  And sleep good at night knowing that I suck so bad at being an asshole that I'm almost not even an asshole! 

How did I get so lucky? 

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You do realize that you basically said I was not an asshole. 

No, what I said was that you are an incompetent asshole.  Please read for comprehension.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
You do realize that you basically said I was not an asshole. 

No, what I said was that you are an incompetent asshole.  Please read for comprehension.

RE

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I did RE.  What is to comprehend here is that I'm incompetent at being an asshole?  Right, so I'm not good at being an asshole...because I'm not one. 

You're just using this as a way to say I'm incompetent and no good at something.  You are slinging insults at me.  I was just stating the obvious, you are an asshole, and you agreed that you are not only an asshole, but a very competent and expert asshole.  I agree with you on that count.  However, you are such an asshole that you can't even see that you are attempting to insult me by saying that I'm not an asshole.

Really, RE, you need to get a grip.  Also, since I know you must have the last word, go ahead, but I'm not going to continue with this now extremely immature exchange. 

You are an asshole, you agree, I agree, everyone agrees.  I am incompetent as an asshole, fine...that's cause I'm not trying to be one.  I was just trying to have an intelligent debate with Agelbert.  I was trying to get to the bottom of our misunderstanding.  You decided you needed an apology, and then you agreed you were an expert asshole.  So why should one apologize to the "head asshole around here"?   :laugh:

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 01:59:34 PM »
Basically, RE, you are saying that you deserve an apology for being an asshole.

The world does not work that way homey.  Assholes do not deserve apologies.  They deserve public ridicule.  So now you have something in common with the original intent of this thread.  You and Guy are both assholes. 

Congratulations.   :emthup:

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I am incompetent as an asshole, fine...that's cause I'm not trying to be one.

You do not have to try.  It comes naturally to you.  So far though, you have not cultivated this aspect of your personality well, so it makes for confusing prose.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
So far though, you have not cultivated this aspect of your personality well, so it makes for confusing prose.

RE

Yeah?  How's that?  Care to elaborate? 

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
I hate to have to be the one that points this out, but how did this conversation become about Nicole Foss????

All she did, in this case, was post an open letter that she didn't write or sign to her facebook page where I saw it.  I thought that the community should know that six people who are a part of the NTE community thought it necessary to call him out in public over what he has been doing.

That's all.  I passed it on to RE for him to decide what to do with it.  It certainly was not my intention to get you guys all up in a shit storm with each other fighting over who was the bigger "ass hole," or over what you may think of Nicole Foss.

Wasn't the point guys.  Just thought you should all know that there are some potentially real issues off in NTE land with McP's behavior.  Foss had nothing to do with the open letter other than posting it.  I'm not saying that to defend Foss or what she may or may not believe.

Okay?