AuthorTopic: "Get Out Now Or Die"  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: \
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
That is a first being called snooty... I would prefer discerning. it's a good resource for free sites though. Thank you.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
That is a first being called snooty... I would prefer discerning. it's a good resource for free sites though. Thank you.

"Discerning" is a term snooty people use when they look down their noses at guys who shack up in truckstops.

When you ride with RE, you ride as cheap as you can do it and still have a decent environment, even for kids.  I don't recommend a Boondocking location I would consider unsafe for kids.  If it is unsafe for kids, it is unsafe for me.  I'm a cripple.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »
No discerning is someone who likes grass, playgrounds etc.  That one in Burlington is interesting. I've been there it's quite nice never overnighted there.  The way toronto works though you would not want to be that far away for a day trip but still nice.  Goodnight RE.  We are in TO for medical stuff this weekend.  It's been pleasant bantering.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Discerning" is just another word for "Snob"
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 01:11:17 AM »
No discerning is someone who likes grass, playgrounds etc.  That one in Burlington is interesting. I've been there it's quite nice never overnighted there.  The way toronto works though you would not want to be that far away for a day trip but still nice.  Goodnight RE.  We are in TO for medical stuff this weekend.  It's been pleasant bantering.

Some Truckstops HAVE grass and playgrounds.  I can think of one Flying J in Wisconson that has a HUGE expanse of manicured grass and picnic tables too!  You could have a regulation football field on this expanse of grass.   Alternatively, when you wake up, drive over to the local municipal park in Toronto and there will be plenty of grass there, and trees too!  Real living trees, not plastic.  LOL.

Besides, why does your sleeping location need this? ???  :icon_scratch:  YOU'RE SLEEPING!  While you sleep, you can dream about grassy playgrounds.

You have not done much Boondocking, this is obvious.  "Discerning" is just another word for "Snob". :P

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Miami now GROUND ZERO as target for Irma
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 01:37:03 AM »
Still too far out to really call this one, because Irma might still take a recurve to the north.  However, confidence grows in the models for a Florida landfall.

It's Miami 2017.  Billy Joel should schedule a concert in Miami next week.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MDXLyczUMoE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MDXLyczUMoE</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Miami now GROUND ZERO as target for Irma
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2017, 03:13:07 AM »
Tick Tock goes the clock on Irma.

If I was living in Miami, today is the day I would be starting to pack up SaVANnah and loading her with Preps.  I wouldn't GTFO of Dodge yet though, she might turn north and if I had a job I wouldn't give up a couple of days of work yet.  By the end of the day, SaVANnah would have everything packed inside for a good 6 months enjoying the fall weather somewhere in the Appalachian Mountains, maybe in Kan-tuk-ee or Tennesee.

By Thursday, if the track remains true, I fire up SaVANnah and GTFO of Dodge!  I send an email to my employer:

I am evacuating Miami since Hurricane Irma is on track to hit our city in 2 days.  I will not be reporting for work Thursday or Friday.  If Irma does not cause too much damage, I hope to be back at work on Monday.  I hope my job and your building is still standing when I return.

Everything is with me, my important papers and documents, my computers and my preps for 6 months living OTR.  I have the cash to buy gas as well as digibits in the bank accounts.  The only thing left behind is some disposable and replaceable furniture.  I will NOT be going to any Goobermint Shelters.  I will NOT be asking for rescue from my roof by the National Guard.

If Irma turns out to be a dud and misses my McHovel in Miami, I drive back on Sunday and show up for work as usual on Monday morning.  If I get fired for this, it's the risk I take making the Bugout.  On the risk level, this is a lower risk than getting caught in the middle of an unmanageable flood situation which could wreck not only my McHovel, but SaVANnah also.

Have a Bugout Plan, no matter how well prepped you think you are to Shelter in Place.  Sometimes, there is no choice.  You HAVE to GET THE FUCK OUT OF DODGE!

RE

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-reg-hurricane-irma-sunday-20170903-story.html

News Weather Hurricane News
Hurricane Irma moves closer to Caribbean as South Floridians start to stock up

Residents flocked to grocery stores, stockpiling water and food in preparation for Hurricane Irma.
Mike Clary and Aric ChokeyContact ReporterSun Sentinel

As Hurricane Irma continues its westward push toward the Caribbean, South Floridians started emptying store shelves in early preparation for a possible hurricane hit.

Although Irma is still too far away to tell whether it will affect Florida, people flocked to stores to stockpile water and food. Shelves usually brimming with water bottles were bare at several stores Sunday afternoon.

“We’re really preparing because it seems like it’s going to be heading our way,” said Kimberly Antequara, of Pompano Beach, as she loaded a 5-gallon water jug into her cart at BJ’s in Parkland. She said this is the first time she’s bought supplies for a hurricane despite being from here.

Irma was still days away from the eastern edge of the Caribbean, and its potential impact there is uncertain.
Hurricane Preparation Guide

Equally uncertain is whether Irma will have an impact on Florida or the U.S. East Coast, but forecaster Dave Roberts at the National Hurricane Center said the storm should be monitored closely.

Forecasters said the Category 3 storm, with top winds of 115 miles an hour, was about 710 miles east of the islands of Barbuda and Antigua, which are on the eastern perimeter of the Caribbean, and about 2,000 miles from South Florida, as of 11 p.m. Sunday.

The storm was moving west-southwest at 14 miles an hour. Some additional strengthening and slowing down is forecast through Monday night.

Irma’s center is expected to approach the eastern Caribbean islands late Tuesday.

Hurricane-force winds of at least 74 mph extend outward up to 35 miles from the center and tropical storm-force winds of 39 mph extend outward up to 140 miles.

As of 8 p.m., hurricane watches are in effect for several Caribbean islands: Antigua, Barbuda, Anguilla, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis Saba, St. Eustatius, St. Martin and Saint Barthelemy. Watches may be issued Monday for Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
Hurricane Irma on the move; hurricane watch issued for eastern Caribbean islands

Hurricane Irma continues to move west as a Category 3 storm.

Nick Wilmott, 30, of Fort Lauderdale, said he isn’t worried about the storm yet since it is not clear if South Florida will see any affects. But he bought several cases of water Sunday at BJ’s just in case.

“No one knows what’s going to happen yet,” Wilmott said. “I always like to keep a couple jugs of water on hand to beat the hustle in the stores when people go crazy.”

The strength of Hurricane Irma fluctuated through the weekend, carrying winds of 130 miles an hour on Friday before subsiding to around 110 mph Saturday morning.

The latest forecast cone puts the eye of the storm near the southeastern Bahamas at 2 a.m. Friday.

In a briefing, the National Weather Service said the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas were in the potential track of Irma.

Beyond the Bahamas lies the U.S.

But hurricane forecaster Dan Brown cautioned, “Don’t infer too much from where the end of the cone is pointed.”

Relatively small scale changes in the storm’s direction and behavior when far out to sea can mean big differences in the storm’s future track, he said.

“There are limits to predictability,” Brown said.
Latest hurricane forecast tracking map

Still, “a storm headed in the general direction of Florida and the Southeast U.S. is something people should pay attention to,” said Brown. “It is not time to panic. But it is the peak of the hurricane season and a holiday weekend is a good time to stock up on hurricane supplies.”

Juan Bernard,of Deerfield Beach, said he and his wife plan on getting more supplies throughout the week if the situation gets worse.

“We're getting water for a few days for now,” Bernard said after loading his cart with water bottles at Wal-Mart in Deerfield.

Irma is the ninth named storm of the 2017 season.

Forecasters are also watching a tropical wave located several hundred miles southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands that is producing an area of disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Conditions are conducive for gradual development during the next few days, and a tropical depression could form by the end of the week as the system moves westward to west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph over the Atlantic, forecasters said.

The wave has a 60 percent chance of storm formation over the next five days.

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RedLight

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 07:20:16 AM »
First post:

I'm potentially in Irma's path. I got a van with camping gear in it not to prepare but because I like to go camping. I don't have a good plan but my van runs, its full of diesel, last time I was "in the cone" I gathered up the wife and dogs and drove up to the mountains. Hardly anyone besides us evacuated and it turned out to be a "false alarm". Whatever, we had a nice time anyway. Same plan again, hurricane coming, me gotta go, early. I'll figure it out from there. That's the best I got.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »
First post:

I'm potentially in Irma's path. I got a van with camping gear in it not to prepare but because I like to go camping. I don't have a good plan but my van runs, its full of diesel, last time I was "in the cone" I gathered up the wife and dogs and drove up to the mountains. Hardly anyone besides us evacuated and it turned out to be a "false alarm". Whatever, we had a nice time anyway. Same plan again, hurricane coming, me gotta go, early. I'll figure it out from there. That's the best I got.

It's much more than most people have or do. Good luck.

Welcome to the Diner Forum!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RedLight

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 09:58:07 AM »
One family I saw on TV in Houston refused a chance to evacuate (by boat I think) when water was inches from their front door and still rising. The parent (a single mother apparently) was saying, "We haven't decided." I wonder if she could decide whether or not to pull the ripcord if she jumped out of an airplane.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Murphy's Law of Disaster
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
First post:

Murphy's Law says:

"The one time you choose not to evacuate will be the one time Ground Zero for the storm will be your McHovel."

:hi: to the Diner RL.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2017, 11:22:44 AM »
One family I saw on TV in Houston refused a chance to evacuate (by boat I think) when water was inches from their front door and still rising. The parent (a single mother apparently) was saying, "We haven't decided." I wonder if she could decide whether or not to pull the ripcord if she jumped out of an airplane.

If it was a single mother who would 'we' be?
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RedLight

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »
Her and her two kids from different fathers, probably. Collaboration. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Get Out Now or Die now UP on Global Economic Intersection
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 02:26:40 AM »
JL comes through again with a cross post!  :icon_sunny:

http://econintersect.com/pages/opinion/opinion.php?post=201709052055

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN