AuthorTopic: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires  (Read 1849 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🔥 🐇 Bugs Bunny Flees the Flames with Kim Kardashian from his Malibu Home
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_pFVY4qfPGw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_pFVY4qfPGw</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 With California's Raging Fires, Fear And Devastation
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »

With California's Raging Fires, Fear And Devastation

November 10, 20186:54 PM ET
Sasha Ingber 2018 square

Sasha Ingber

A California man and his girlfriend return to his burned out home in Malibu on Saturday.
Ringo H.W. Chiu/AP

From north to south, California was engulfed by five identified fires on Saturday. Strong winds, low humidity, drought and vegetation so dry as to act as matchsticks exacerbated the flames. Altogether, at least nine people have died and more than 250,000 people driven out of their homes.

"One firefighter went to his house, knocked down the flames and figured his house was going to make it," Scott McLean, a deputy chief with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, told NPR. "He came back and it had burned to the ground."

In the North

The Camp Fire blaze erupted Thursday.

Of the nine confirmed fatalities, five were found inside cars that were overwhelmed by flames, three outside residences, and one inside a home, according to the Butte County Sheriff's Office. Names of the victims have not been released.

Another 35 people were reported missing, McLean said.

He added that the fire took less than two hours to reach the small town of Paradise, which it proceeded to devour.

Some people, attempting to flee the fire, were stuck in traffic and left their cars behind to run with their families.
Article continues after this message from our sponsor

According to Cal Fire, the fire has grown into 100,000 acres and was 20 percent contained by Saturday morning. It was still burning in Paradise, and authorities estimated the fire may be fully contained by Nov. 30.
At Least 9 Dead As Blazes Ravage California
National
At Least 9 Dead As Blazes Ravage California

Nearly 6,500 residences have been destroyed and another 15,000 threatened, according to emergency officials. Authorities expect that strong northeastern winds will start up again in the evening, potentially spreading across one of California's biggest lakes into the city of Oroville.

Red flag warnings will return in the evening, McLean said, marking strong winds and dropping humidity.

More than 3,200 personnel are involved in the firefighting effort.

California's Camp Fire, fueled by gusty winds and low humidity, spread through the northern town of Paradise, burning homes, cars and businesses on Friday.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

In the South

The bodies of two people have been discovered in Malibu but it is unclear whether their deaths were caused by fire.

"Right now we have not been able to investigate the situation because the area hasn't been rendered safe yet," L.A. County Sheriff's Department Deputy Grace Medrano told NPR.

The Woolsey Fire, a brush fire that started Thursday some 500 miles south, grew more than twice its size from Friday to Saturday, spanning 70,000 acres. It crossed U.S. Highway 101 just a few miles east of Thousand Oaks, where 12 people died in a bar shooting Wednesday night.

Crews were battling extreme flames on steep terrain. By the evening, the fire was still zero percent contained.

It sent thousands fleeing after mandatory evacuations in Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Officials said they had not been able to tally the number of homes that were destroyed, the Los Angeles Times reported, but sheriff's officials in Ventura County put the number at 50 or more.

Another fire, called Hill Fire, measured a little more than 4,500 acres on Saturday. "It seems to be stopped and burned into an area where firefighters can get a handle on it," McLean said. It traveled into an old burn scar, where a previous fire had passed years ago. As it thinned, firefighters were able to get closer and control it — at least temporarily.

Evacuees

Lady Gaga, Alyssa Milano and Kim Kardashian West were among the California residents who had to flee their homes.

"I am thinking so deeply for everyone who is suffering today from these abominable fires & grieving the loss of their homes or loved ones," Lady Gaga said. "I'm sitting here with many of you wondering if my home will burst into flames. All we can do is pray together & for each other. God Bless You."

Malibu residents clean up the road after the destruction of the Woolsey fire on Saturday.
Ringo H.W. Chiu/AP
"I'm waiting to hear the fate of my home. They won't let us in the area," Milano wrote Saturday morning local time, before adding, "There are no words for this kind of devastation."

"I heard the flames have hit our property at our home in Hidden Hills but now are more contained and have stopped at the moment. It doesn't seems like it is getting worse right now, I just pray the winds are in our favor," Kardashian West said.

Cher wrote on Twitter that she was worried about her house "but there is nothing I can do." She said she has had a house in Malibu since 1972 and "can't bear the thought of there being no Malibu."

Authorities, fearful of looting, have ordered some 200 deputies to protect burned neighborhoods, according to the Associated Press.

The Los Angeles Zoo announced that some of its animals, including lemurs and birds, had been relocated but that a brush fire in nearby Griffith Park did not enter its grounds. "The animals that were relocated have been safely moved back to their habitats and are doing well," the zoo said. "We are thinking of those who are battling the wildfires still threatening Los Angeles and Ventura counties."

"A big thank you to firefighters from across the country who are helping California's firefighters battle these blazes," Sen. Kamala Harris tweeted Saturday. "We appreciate your work and could not be more grateful."

President Trump also took to Twitter to write: "There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Compounding Conflagrations 🔥 of Collapse
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 02:18:49 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666 Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner on November 11, 2018

Discuss this Rant at the Environment Table inside the Diner

Numerous Diner Lurkers have emailed me expressing disappointment with the disappearance of the Frostbite Falls Daily Rant audio I did for a long time, covering numerous Collapse topics. Mostly these rants can be found on the Diner Soundcloud Channel. I stopped doing them for many reasons, the main one though being that with my ever expanding health problems, working up the energy to do one of these things, scripting it and producing it just got to be too much for me. It's a whole lot EZier just to pound out a text blog on the keyboard, although generally not quite so much fun.

BUT, I am BACK! icon_sunny Not that I am much healthier these days, but I gotta screw myself down to the task at hand of informing readers about collapse issues before I am pushing up daisies, and Audio is quite appealing to many people. Unlike text blogs, you can listen to them while you do other things, like plant your permaculture collapse garden or drive through traffic to your bullshit job or otherwise Prep Up for the Collapse of Industrial Civilization. Audio is great for Multi-tasking. 🙂

In the new iteration, the Frostbite Falls Daily Rant has morphed into the new "Fireside🔥 Chats", which worked well for FDR so I figured I would rip off the idea, especially considering I have recently let my Pyromaniacal side out of the closet. 🔥 The new Fireside chats will be found on Utoob rather than Soundcloud, since on Utoob I can illustrate them with the Fire🔥 of the Day.

If you want transcripts of any of these exercises in ranting, you can send me an email or a PM inside the Diner and I will provide one. However, the written version loses a lot of contextual vocal inflections, so I'm not going to generally publish the scripts. Listen or miss it. You also may notice I have a nice lisp going these days, this comes from my two missing front teeth and the inability to pronounce fricatives very well at the moment. I hope to get the teeth in some way repaired by some Dentista before I Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond, but in the meantime you will just have to live with this little defect. lol.

In any event, this particular exercise covers the environmental issues the Californicators are suffering with these days, as the state basically burns 🔥 to the ground. Even Lady Gaga had to evacuate her Mansion in Malibu! If that's not Collapse, what is? Give me a holler inside the Diner if you want me to continue with these things. It's always motivational when I get some feedback on them. If you hate them, don't make a comment. As my mother used to say, if you don't have anything nice to say, Shut the Fuck Up.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:32:37 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 Death toll jumps to 23 as California battles wildfires
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 07:25:25 AM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/california-fires-camp-malibu-woolsey-evacuation-containment-evacuations-death-toll-live-updates/

CBS/AP November 11, 2018, 8:09 AM
Death toll jumps to 23 as California battles wildfires

The most destructive wildfire in California history leveled nearly the entire city of Paradise as firefighters battled massive fires on both sides of the state. At least 23 people were killed by the so-called Camp Fire in Butte County, authorities said. Most of the buildings in Paradise are in ruin and its business district is destroyed.

Only a day after the Camp Fire began, the blaze had destroyed more than 6,700 structures, almost all of them homes. Authorities said there were 110 people still missing.

"We are doing everything we possibly can to identify those remains and make contact with the next of kin so we can return the remains to the family," Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said Saturday evening.

The Camp Fire is just one of three major wildfires that firefighters are battling across the state. The 70,000-acre Woolsey Fire tore through Malibu mansions and working-class suburban homes in Southern California's hills and canyons. In less than two days, the Woolsey Fire and the Hill Fire, which is also burning in Southern California, prompted evacuation orders for more than 250,000 people.
    screen-shot-2018-11-10-at-8-30-59-pm.png
    ​CBS News
    Follow California wildfires updates below:
    Dozens still missing as recovery efforts continue

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea says his department has reports of 110 people still missing from the fire, but says he's hopeful that more of those missing people will be located.

The department initially had more than 500 calls about citizens who were unable to reach loved ones. But he says they've been able to help locate many.

Next he says sheriff's officials will be cross-checking their list with official shelters to search for the remaining missing.

Honea said Saturday that 23 people have died in the fire near Paradise, about 180 miles northeast of San Francisco.
    Officials stepping up efforts to recover bodies

Authorities plan to step efforts to recover and identify people who died in a Northern California wildfire that has killed 23 people.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said he will add another coroner's team to help find bodies in burned areas, and he ordered a DNA lab truck to assist in identifying human remains.Honea said in some cases, investigators have only found bones or bone fragments.

Officials are receiving expertise from anthropologists from nearby California State University, Chico.

Honea said 14 bodies were recovered Saturday, bringing the death toll to 23. The fire north of Sacramento has destroyed more 6,700 structures and driven more than 52,000 people from their homes.
    Death toll jumps to 23

At least 23 people have been killed by the Camp Fire in Northern California, authorities said Saturday. There were still 110 people missing.

"I know that the news of us recovering bodies has to be disconcerting," Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said at a news conference Saturday evening. "We are doing everything we possibly can to identify those remains and make contact with the next of kin so we can return the remains to the family."

"My heart goes out to those people," he said.
    "The fire behavior is just so intense"

Malibu looks like a war zone, with homes and businesses burned to the ground. Charred earth as far as the eye can see. All this, as the Woolsey fire is still nowhere near contained, CBS News' Jamie Yuccas reports.

"It really seems like we are chasing it, it moves so fast, so aggressive, and the fire behavior is just so intense," said Mike Grosenbach, a Los Angeles County firefighter.

Firefighters are working to cut a perimeter around the fire. Students at Pepperdine University in Malibu were told to shelter in place as the flames crept neared campus. Nearby homeowners had minutes to get their horses to safety, turning the iconic Zuma Beach into a makeshift ranch.

"[The Pacific] felt like the safest place to be with the fresh air coming. At least you have fresh air coming off the ocean. The air was so thick last night, you could barely breathe," said homeowner Robin Elmasian.
    Firefighter union president rips Trump

Brian K. Rice, the president of the California Professional Firefighters, criticized President Trump on Saturday after he threatened to withhold federal payments to the state, claiming its forest management is "so poor." The president made the comments as the state is battling multiple deadly wildfires.

"The president's message attacking California and threatening to withhold aid to the victims of the cataclysmic fires is ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to those who are suffering as well as the men and women on the front lines," Brian K. Rice said in a statement.

"Wildfires are sparked and spread not only in forested areas but in populated areas and open fields fueled by parched vegetation, high winds, low humidity and geography," Rice said.

He added, "Moreover, nearly 60 percent of California forests are under federal management, and another two-thirds under private control. It is the federal government that has chosen to divert resources away from forest management, not California."
    3 major fires by the numbers

Firefighters are battling three major wildfires in California. Here's a breakdown by the numbers as of Saturday evening, according to Cal Fire and local officials.
    The Camp Fire
        105,000 acres burned
        20 percent contained
        23 fatalities confirmed, 3 firefighters injured
        115 people missing
        6,453 residences destroyed, including 260 commercial
    Woolsey Fire
        83,000 acres burned
        200,000 residents under mandatory evacuation
        Zero percent contained
    Hill Fire
        4,531 acres burned
        25 percent contained
    An abandoned and burned school bus is seen on Skyway during the Camp Fire in Paradise

An abandoned and burned school bus is seen on Skyway during the Camp Fire in Paradise, California, U.S. November 9, 2018.
    STEPHEN LAM / REUTERS
    More towns empty in Northern California

Authorities in Northern California have ordered residents to leave four small communities southeast of a town leveled by a deadly wildfire. The Butte County Sheriff's Office on Saturday issued an evacuation order for the communities of Berry Creek, Bush Creek, Mountain House, and Bloomer Hill.

National Weather Service meteorologist Alex Hoon says the area will see winds of up to 30 miles per hour with ridges seeing gusts of up to 50 mph starting Saturday night.
    Two deaths under investigation

Two people have been found dead in the fire zone of a Southern California blaze, Los Angeles County sheriff's Chief John Benedict said. He gave no details on the deaths and said Saturday that sheriff's detectives are investigating.

Benedict and other officials spoke Saturday about the Woolsey Fire, which has more than doubled in size. It is now 70,000 acres, according to fire officials.

Officials took advantage of temporarily calm conditions to assess damage.
    Calmer winds offer chance to block blazes

Firefighters hoped a narrow window of calm Saturday would give them a chance to block Southern California wildfires that have marched on an inexorable path of destruction toward the sea, burning everything from mobile homes to mansions.

Winds that drove the flames through bone-dry hills and canyons north and west of downtown Los Angeles were expected to die down until Sunday, when they would build again to 35 mph with even higher gusts, forecasters predicted.

The lull Saturday could give firefighters a chance to control the edges of the blazes and to swap fire crews, replacing firefighters who had worked for two days without rest, Los Angeles County Fire Chief Daryl Osby said. But with the winds returning, it's likely more homes would be lost, Osby warned.

"There's not going to be any relief in this firefight," he said.
    Red Flag Warning extended in California

A Red Flag Warning denoting a high risk of wildfire has been extended in California until Tuesday, CBS Los Angeles reports.

Red Flag Warnings are issued for conditions that could lead to "extreme fire behavior" within 24 hours, according to Cal Fire.

The National Weather Service Sacramento said "critical fire weather conditions" are expected across Northern California Saturday night to Monday morning "due to strong winds & dry conditions."

The National Weather Service Los Angeles said more winds are also expected in Southern California.

"After a brief period of light winds today, expect another round of Santa Ana winds expected Sunday morning through Tuesday," it tweeted. "Peak winds each morning through early afternoon hours. Here is a graphic for Sunday's expected gusts. Thanks to all the firefighters!"
    Wildfires besiege city reeling from mass shooting

A city reeling from the tragedy of a mass shooting was under a siege of a different sort Friday as raging wildfires on both sides of the city forced widespread evacuations and shut down part of the main freeway to town.

For Thousand Oaks, which had been considered one of the safest cities in the nation before a gunman massacred 12 people at a country music bar, the spasm of violence jolted the city's sense of security. Encroaching flames, despite the near-constant threat of fire in the bone-dry state, presented an entirely different hazard.

"It's devastating. It's like 'welcome to hell,'" resident Cynthia Ball said about the dual disasters while she was outside the teen center serving as a shelter for evacuees. "I don't even know what to say. It's like we're all walking around kind of in a trance."

A day earlier, the facility had been the location where grieving family members had gathered and received the grim news on the fate of loved ones who had not returned from the Borderline Bar and Grill, where a Marine combat veteran went on a shooting rampage Wednesday. The investigation into what drove 28-year-old Ian David Long to kill was continuing even as the city about 40 miles from Los Angeles was under threat. Three-quarters of the city of 130,000 was under evacuation orders, and that likely included people affected by the shooting, Thousand Oaks Mayor Andy Fox said.

Read more: Wildfires besiege California city reeling from deadly shooting rampage
    Flames in Malibu race down hillsides toward the Pacific

The Woolsey Fire near Los Angeles is smaller than the "Camp Fire" burning in Northern California but is threatening hundreds of thousands of people as flames surge toward the Pacific Ocean.

CBS News correspondent Jamie Yuccas reported Saturday morning that flames in Malibu are racing down hillsides toward the Pacific. The fire has grown to 35,000 acres, or 54 square miles - roughly the size of Akron, Ohio.

Overnight, it showed no signs of slowing down as homes reduced to their foundations toppled to the ground. Bone-dry conditions and unrelenting winds have blown the blaze forward at a breakneck pace. Firefighters are struggling to keep up.

The Woolsey Fire and smaller Hill blaze have destroyed more than 150 homes and prompted evacuation orders for about 250,000 people from Thousand Oaks northwest of Los Angeles to Malibu.
    Trump threatens to withhold federal payments

President Donald Trump is threatening to withhold federal payments to California, claiming its forest management is "so poor."

Mr. Trump said Saturday "there is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly fires in California." He said "billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

The comments were Mr. Trump's first about the massive wildfires burning in California, including a blaze that incinerated most of the Northern California town of Paradise and killed at least nine people.
    Utility company will cooperate with investigation

The Pacific Gas & Electric Company said it will cooperate with any investigations stemming from the massive wildfire in Northern California. The company told state regulators Thursday that it experienced a problem on an electrical transmission line near the site of the blaze minutes before the fire broke out.

The company said it later observed damage to a transmission tower on the line. Lynsey Paulo, a company spokesperson, said the information was preliminary and stressed the cause of the fire has not been determined.
    Death toll rises to 9

At least nine people were killed by the wildfire in Paradise, California, authorities said. The fire has burned 90,000 acres and destroyed more than 6,700 structures.

Three of the victims were found outside homes and four others inside vehicles, Butte County Sheriff Korey Honea said Friday. Another victim was found near outside their vehicle, he said.
    Wildfire causes "utter panic" as people try to escape

As the fast-moving fire ravaged Northern California, highways were jammed with cars as people desperately tried to escape. One man battled burning ash as he tried to find a way out. He's safe now, but others were forced to abandon their cars and run for their lives.

Five miles north of Paradise, Tisha Aroyo and her grandfather stayed behind. He said he thought he could save her house, but they would only watch helplessly as their home burned.

JT Ford and his wife Stacey went to a nearby pasture, where they watched their home go up in flames. "The fire roared through so quick it was only an hour of utter panic and fear because then everything burned out," Ford said.

Flames have moved so quickly there's not a lot firefighters can do. "That fire from the second it started was off to the races," said Ken Pimlott, director of Cal Fire. "It's all hands on deck to rescue people and get people out of harm's way."
    ​Celebrities forced to evacuate homes

Caitlyn Jenner, Kim Kardashian West, Alyssa Milano and Lady Gaga were among the celebrities forced to evacuate their homes. The Woolsey Fire also destroyed famous set locations including the Paramount Ranch Western Town set home to HBO's "Westworld." It also partially destroyed the mansion used in filming ABC's reality series "The Bachelor," Entertainment Tonight reported.

"Pray for Calabasas. Just landed back home and had 1 hour to pack up & evacuate our home," Kardashian West wrote on Instagram while sharing video of the blaze. "Firefighters are arriving. Thank you for all that you do for us!!!"

Meanwhile, Milano tweeted Friday, "If anyone can get 5 horses out the fire please help me." She later said the horses and her children were safe.

Rainn Wilson said his house was evacuated due to the fires. He asked his Twitter followers to pray for residents in Thousand Oaks following the shooting that left 12 people dead, writing that they are now forced to deal with the wildfires.
    Smoke from wildfire pollutes San Francisco air
    Mahmoud El Tahawy of Egypt looks out at smoke from wildfires obscuring the San Francisco skyline behind the Golden Gate Bridge Nov. 9, 2018, near Sausalito, California.

Mahmoud El Tahawy of Egypt looks out at smoke from wildfires obscuring the San Francisco skyline behind the Golden Gate Bridge Nov. 9, 2018, near Sausalito, California.
    AP Photo/Eric Risberg

Authorities issued an unhealthy air quality alert for parts of the San Francisco Bay Area as smoke from the Camp Fire drifts south, polluting the air. The air in San Francisco Friday was hazy and the smell of smoke was overwhelming.

Officials advised older people and children to move physical activities indoors. All people were encouraged to limit their outdoor activities.
    Southern California fire forces evacuation of Malibu

The entire city of Malibu was ordered to evacuate Friday morning as the Woolsey Fire roared toward the beachside community that is home for many Hollywood celebrities. A city-wide evacuation was ordered early Friday and then was scaled back, only to be reinstated.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department tweeted that the fire raging through the Santa Monica Mountains was headed to the ocean. Malibu has about 13,000 residents and lies along 21 miles of coast at the southern foot of the mountain range.

"Imminent threat!" the department said in its warning.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-paradise-fire-burning-victims-20181111-story.html

'It’s gone. Paradise is gone.' Fire destroys a town, taking so many lives with it
By Louis Sahagun , Liam Dillon  and Michael Finnegan
Nov 11, 2018 | 5:00 AM
| PARADISE, Calif.
'It’s gone. Paradise is gone.' Fire destroys a town, taking so many lives with it

Silence hangs over Paradise,Calif., after the explosive Camp fire burned through Butte County and claimed 23 lives. Residents have not been allowed back.
(Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)

Two days after walls of flames devoured the entire Sierra foothills town of Paradise in minutes, three firefighters set about surveying the damage Saturday so they could report back to evacuees they’d grown up with on what they’d seen.

Capt. Alejandro Saise, firefighter A.J. Mount and engineer Phil Rose had little good news to share.
inRead invented by Teads
ADVERTISEMENT

Saise, 45, shook his head in sadness as he took in the scorched, smoking landscape. It was a vast patchwork of ash piles, mangled metal and skeletal pines more than 100 feet tall in a once thriving neighborhood of retirees and young families.

“There’s no easy way to say it,” Saise said. “I’ve texted, ‘Sorry, brother, but it’s gone,’ at least 30 times in the last 48 hours.

“We’ve only found one house standing out of 20 we visited today,” he added.

Moments later, the firefighters climbed into Engine 82 and trundled down a winding two-lane road, dodging a tangle of severed power lines and smoldering trees that threatened to topple into the debris scattered around the once-quaint town. Soon, they found the rubble of yet another home that until the fire swept through was adorned with a white picket fence, a gazebo, folding chairs and a barbecue.

“I just texted the sad news about this house, an enchanting pocket of Paradise only 48 hours ago,” Saise said. All that survived, he told the owner, was an old Ford pickup truck.

The news only got worse Saturday as people tried to understand the scope of the tragedy.

The bodies of an additional 14 people killed by the Camp fire were discovered Saturday, bringing the blaze’s death toll to 23. Scores of people were still missing.

Residents of Paradise, Calif., try to get through a roadblock to check on their home but are turned away. People haven't been allowed to return to the town. (Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times)
1 / 9

The remains of 10 people were found in Paradise, seven of them in homes. Four more were in surrounding areas of Butte County, two of them in cars. Family members of missing persons were submitting DNA at a lab truck to help identify remains.

The Camp fire is already the most destructive in California history, destroying 6,453 homes and 260 commercial buildings in less than 24 hours. It is also destined to be the among the deadliest.

Residents who were able to outrun the fire said they still cannot fathom how much of their town was lost, or imagine how many of their neighbors might be gone.

“We not only lost our home,” said resident Sue Brown. “We lost a whole community. It’s gone. Paradise is gone.”

Brown and her husband, Sidney, who’d planned to spend their retirement in their three-bedroom home in Paradise, got a half-hour warning to evacuate. Sidney had taken off his wedding ring, because of swollen fingers, and lost it in the blaze.

The couple have been trying to keep busy by volunteering at an Elks Lodge evacuation center in nearby Chico. Sue Brown doesn’t expect the gravity of what’s happened to sink in until they return to their property.

The windswept fire exploded out of the mountains northeast of Paradise around dawn Thursday and started pelting the town’s rooftops with embers just before the full-scale firestorm came raging through the streets.

Residents who scrambled to escape down the main highway were terrified by towering flames licking at their vehicles from both sides.

Traumatized Paradise survivors were among 52,000 people chased out of their homes by the Camp fire. Many spent Saturday at evacuation centers in Chico and Oroville.

L.A. Now

From Malibu to Oak Park, wildfire devastation comes into focus
Nov 11, 2018 | 3:00 AM

At Oroville’s Church of the Nazarene, Markham Odell, 61, recalled feeling the fire’s overwhelming heat as he scrambled to get out of Paradise. The sky turned blackas thick smoke blocked the early morning sun.

A dead bird fell out of nowhere, hitting him on the shoulder.

“I’ve never panicked at any time in my life,” Odell said. “But I felt it start to come.”

Odell, a prospector who works in Nevada, has lived on his Feather River Canyon property since 1987. A friend sent him a photo of the fire’s aftermath. Odell’s home, greenhouse, barn and tool shed were gone.

“We’re homeless,” he said. “Most of our friends are homeless. Our family also.”

One of the last things Odell grabbed was a copy of his home insurance policy.

“This is a long haul,” Odell said. “This isn’t just one year. This is a whole town, a whole infrastructure to rebuild.”

Inside the church, hundreds of evacuees set up a message board with the names and numbers of people searching for loved ones.

“People have been subdued,” said Steve Walsh, a regional spokesman for the American Red Cross, which was operating the shelter. “They seem numb to what’s happening.”

At Neighborhood Church in Chico, dozens of evacuees lined up outside tents set up by insurance companies.

Gerald Zastrow, 82, his wife Nancy, 70, and her sister Terri Myers, 80, slept Thursday and Friday nights on small cots in the church’s shelter. They abandoned their Paradise home with just a handful of possessions.

“If I got off the hill the way God made me, I was lucky,” Nancy Zastrow said. “If I got anything more than that, which I did, I was really lucky.”

She found evidence online that the health center down the road from their home hadn’t burnt down, but a neighbor’s house had.

“The majority of the people need to know if they have a home or not,” she said. “It’s the not knowing that’s the killer. This limbo is really difficult.”

As of Saturday night, the fire had consumed 105,000 acres and was just 20% contained.

A red-flag warning through Monday morning for winds gusting up to 50 mph left people on edge across the smoke-choked region, 130 miles north of Sacramento.

“These very strong winds are going to create those critical conditions for firefighters working over the next 24 to 36 hours,” said Alex Hoon, a meteorologist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The forecast only heightened the anxiety across Butte County.

Among the displaced was Anthony Campa, a 40-year resident of what he described as “a mountain town like no other.”

“The family lines of some people I grew up with stretch back to the Gold Rush era in the 1860s,” he said at a restaurant in Chico.

As caravans of fire engines and utility trucks rushed past the window, he said the big question among evacuees is what the future holds.

“Paradise was an exceptional place to live for generations,” Campa said wistfully. “It may be again, but not for generations to come.”

Up the mountain in what’s left of Paradise, Anne Benoit and her husband, Joe McNally, were trying to come to terms with the loss of everything they owned on 20 acres of land: Two houses, a barn, a garage, a stable and a Christmas tree farm.

“We lost 10,000 Christmas trees that were 2 to 10 years old,” Benoit said. “We tried to defend them with garden hoses, but it wasn’t enough.”

It takes about a decade to grow a Christmas tree. “But I’m 70, and Joe is 71,” Benoit said. “So, with the crop gone, we won’t grow another.”

For the Engine 82 crew taking stock of the damage, there were occasional bits of good news they could text to distressed evacuees.

“We were able to tell a few folks that we’d rescued a cat or dog,” Mount said. “That meant a lot to them.”

All three of the firefighters on the truck had seen action in the Middle East when they were in the Marines or the Navy. But on Saturday, they were overcome by the scale of the devastation in Paradise. It exceeded anything they’d ever seen.

“In years past, I fought fires that roared through some area, taking one neighborhood at a time,” Saise said. “For me, this is the first big fire that actually ate up an entire community of 27,000 residents that used to be a beautiful little mountain town in which to enjoy the best life has to offer.”

They also found comfort in their mission as scouts sending damage assessments to their heartbroken, displaced neighbors.

“It will bring confirmation to something in their mind’s eye,” Rose said. “It’s a confirmation they need in order to continue on.”
A surreal Saturday on Pacific Coast Highway as fire transforms Malibu's beaches »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
The winds have already picked up here in the Mohave.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kDsksKsXhsk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kDsksKsXhsk&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat upon him was Death, and Hell followed with him .."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j7FQNgEbCFU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j7FQNgEbCFU</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Compounding Conflagrations 🔥 of Collapse
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
46 Diners have already listened to this Rant!  It's not even up a whole day yet!  :icon_sunny:

I love Utoob Stats.  It's a much better gauge of your readership/viewers than page hits, which get bollixed up by crawly creepy bots and spiders.

I think the new "Fireside Chat" format for the Rants is a winner.  I got a new set of bluetooth wireless active noise canceling headphones to improve the audio, but I'm still working on tweaking that.  I was a little over-modulated in this exercise.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 05:51:21 PM »

Slowing down the border wall so Mexicans can come up and do drywall first might be a good idea?

Or would the dude with the flag on his ruin prefer paying union scale?

Opinions please.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 05:59:25 PM »

Slowing down the border wall so Mexicans can come up and do drywall first might be a good idea?

Or would the dude with the flag on his ruin prefer paying union scale?

Opinions please.

I wonder how many Mercedes were totalled along with the 6700 homes? ???  :icon_scratch:  And that's just the Campfire, not Woolsey down in Malibu!

Methinks some Insurance Companies will be in need of a Goobermint Bailout.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 06:49:57 PM »
This is the only way Gov. Moonbean will get mailbox money from 45.

Torch the state & force da' feds to bail him out. Problem is that the money doesn't go to
the needy, it's used to pay the debt & state pensions.

Not only is Jerry Brown a psychopath, he's an arsonist as well. This is some seriously fucked up shit goin' on out west.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 12:14:02 AM »
Not only is Jerry Brown a psychopath, he's an arsonist as well. This is some seriously fucked up shit goin' on out west.

So you think Moonbeam set the Wildfires on purpose?  That is a stretch even for you.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 Gov. Brown, fire-besieged California hit back at Trump over blame tweet
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/11/california-disaster-declaration-fires-trump-983168

Krystin Harvey (left) comforts her daughter, Araya Cipollini, at the remains of their home burned in the fire Saturday in Paradise, Calif. | John Locher/AP Photo

California
Gov. Brown, fire-besieged California hit back at Trump over blame tweet

'Managing all the forests everywhere we can does not stop climate change — and those that deny that are definitely contributing to the tragedy,' the governor says.

By CARLA MARINUCCI and ANGELA HART

11/11/2018 04:31 PM EST

Updated 11/11/2018 08:33 PM EST

MATHER, Calif. — California Gov. Jerry Brown, now seeking a “major disaster declaration” from the White House to bolster the emergency response to three catastrophic wildfires, warned Sunday that those who deny climate change “are definitely contributing to the tragedy” of what he predicted could be years of damaging firestorms due to rising temperatures and increased drought conditions in his state.

“Things like this will be part of our future ... things like this, and worse,’’ warned Brown at a Sunday press conference, flanked by fire and emergency officials delivering an update on three major fires still raging through the state which have killed 25 to date. “That’s why it’s so important to take steps to help communities, to do prevention and adaptation.”

Brown’s remarks came after a tweet by Trump on Saturday in which the president argued: “There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

Asked to respond to the President's tweet Sunday, Brown called California's recent battles with massive wildfires "the new abnormal.'' He added: “Scientists and the engineers and the firefighters all tell us forest management is one element’’ to control them, but warned governments must address “a whole range of actions'' to address a problem he said may cost "billions" of dollars to tackle.

“Managing all the forests everywhere we can does not stop climate change — and those that deny that are definitely contributing to the tragedy,’’ Brown said. “The chickens are coming home to roost. This is real here.” He advised that governments and officials need to be “pulling together in these tragic circumstances and thinking wisely,’’ while being “collaborative.’’

Brown’s comments came at the site of a state operations center coordinating the response to three major fires in Butte County, as well as Ventura and Los Angeles counties, which have destroyed over 6,700 structures and forced the evacuation nearly 150,000 residents, with 25 dead and 100 still missing. More than 3,000 firefighters from seven states were battling the blazes whipped up by winds as high as 40 mph in some regions Sunday, officials said.
Firefighters take pictures.

Firefighters take pictures of fire retardant dropped on a burning hillside on Sunday in Malibu, Calif. | Jae C. Hong/AP Photo

Trump’s tweet Saturday — widely criticized by state officials — underscored the president’s historically caustic relationship with solidly blue California and its Democratic leaders on issues ranging from climate change to water policy and immigration. In August, Trump criticized California wildfire management and threatened to cut off federal aid, inaccurately suggesting that the state was allowing millions of gallons of water to flow to the sea rather than using the water for fighting fires.
ADVERTISING

The president, who polls show is historically unpopular in the state, has called Brown “Moonbeam,’’ slamming the governor’s position to limit the role of National Guard troops along the border with Mexico. His latest tweets also came during the same week Republicans suffered big losses in the midterm elections, which could end up with the state’s GOP caucus in the House withering to eight out of 53 members when the full vote count is finished. During the election cycle, the president also jabbed at Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, calling him a “clown” as he endorsed Newsom’s unsuccessful Republican rival, John Cox, for governor.

Trump did later appear to soften his message, acknowledging the loss of lives and the round-the-clock work of first responders, saying, “God bless them.” But that did not appear to mollify state officials, who pushed back angrily against his attempts to blame mismanagement for the firestorms.

Brown, in a statement issued Sunday, said: “We have the best firefighters and first responders in the country working in some of the most difficult conditions imaginable. We’re putting everything we’ve got into the fight against these fires and this request ensures communities on the front lines get additional federal aid.’’

“To those who have lost friends and family members, homes and businesses, know that the entire state is with you,’’ he said. “As Californians, we are strong and resilient, and together we will recover.”
California Playbook newsletter

Our must-read briefing on politics and government in the Golden State.
Email

By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Trump’s critical comments over the weekend sparked a blistering response from Brian Rice, head of the 30,000-member California Professional Firefighters organization, who called the president’s attack “ill-informed, ill-timed and demeaning to victims and to our firefighters on the front lines.”

Rice directly refuted Trump’s assertion of mismanagement as “dangerously wrong,’’ noting in a statement that “nearly 60 percent of California forests are under federal management, and another one-third under private control.’’ He charged that “it is the federal government that has chosen to divert resources away from forest management, not California.”

Brown’s spokesman, Evan Westrup, reacting to Trump in a statement, said, “Our focus is on the Californians impacted by these fires and the first responders and firefighters working around the clock to save lives and property — not on the president’s inane, uninformed tweets.”

Newsom, the governor-elect, also responded harshly, tweeting: “Lives have been lost. Entire towns have been burned to the ground. Cars abandoned on the side of the road. People are being forced to flee their homes. This is not a time for partisanship. This is a time for coordinating relief and response and lifting those in need up.”
President Donald Trump

WHITE HOUSE
Trump blames California forest policies for deadly wildfires

By POLITICO STAFF

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) also angrily tweeted to Trump: “What is wrong with you? Disaster victims deserve help & sympathy. Oh, and guess who owns much of the forest land in CA? Your federal agencies. CA only owns 2%. Guess who cut funding to forest management in the budget? YOU DID.”

And Rep. Adam Schiff, another California Democrat, slammed Trump’s response on “Meet the Press” on Sunday, saying: “People are losing their lives, losing loved ones, losing their homes. … [F]or the president, at a time when people are facing utter disaster, to be making a statement like this, making a threat like this, this just goes to show how little he understands the job he has.”

Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) echoed the California Democrats’ concerns, telling “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd: “I don't think it’s appropriate to threaten funding. That’s not going to happen. Funding will be available. It always is available to our people wherever they are, whatever disaster they are facing. I do think, though, this year we came up with a strong bipartisan success in fixing the wildfire funding issue that had kind of paralyzed our ability to go out and fight fires and suppress fires and mitigate next year’s forest fires.”

“So one of the great bipartisan accomplishments of this past Congress was actually in the area of forest fires and finding a solution for funding,” Gardner added.
Gavin Newsom and his wife

California
Newsom cruises to governor's mansion in California

By CARLA MARINUCCI

Three fires are blazing through the state. In Northern California’s Butte County, the Camp fire has destroyed more than 6,700 structures and left 23 people dead, making it the state’s most destructive fire. More than 250,000 have been evacuated — and two have died — in the wake of the Woolsey fire, which has raced through Malibu, Westlake Village and Thousand Oaks in Southern California, destroying homes and continuing to threatening parts of Simi Valley and West Hills. The Hill fire burned more than 4,000 acres in canyons near Camarillo Springs and Cal State Channel Islands, west of Thousand Oaks.

A state of emergency has been declared in Los Angeles, Ventura and Butte counties because of multiple fires, and late last week California secured direct federal assistance to further support the affected communities, Brown’s office said.

Trumpdid not visit California after deadly fires in Santa Rosa and Redding over the summer caused billions of dollars in damage — a decision that many Democrats in the state saw as an intentional slight that contrasted dramatically with the president’s visits to red states like Florida and Texas, which have suffered hurricane damage.

Kevin Yamamura contributed to this report.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 Monster Wildfires: Nature Might Be Punishing Insouciant Americans
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/11/11/monster-wildfires-nature-might-be-punishing-insouciant-americans/

Monster Wildfires: Nature Might Be Punishing Insouciant Americans
November 11, 2018 Patrice de Bergeracpas

Wildfires also claim the lives of countless animals.

Nature’s fury—some say revenge— is beginning to touch even the lives of affluent Americans. Malibu celebrity mansions are now being consumed by fires that no one had seen in generations or ever.

One would imagine that USers would promptly get organised and demand from their leaders some effective response. But if you imagined that, you would be painfully wrong.

For starters, there’s no real leadership in the United States and much of the West, if by leadership we understand governments dedicated to peace and rational policies and priorities designed to make life on this planet more livable and dignified for the overwhelming majority of humans and other sentient beings. Instead, we have precisely the opposite.

Against this dismal backdrop, the US population continues to be politically passive as climate crisis storms continue to strike the US with increasing ferocity and frequency. The latest midterms showed that climate change, as obvious a crisis as it is, ranks low in the establishment politiciasns’ menu of mendacious appeals. This applies of course to both wings of the duopoly. Trump and his cohorts of hard-core Republicrats of course have no interest nor comprehnsion of this enormous issue. So while the Obama brand showed classic demagogy in dealing with the climate change issue, pretending to concern while delivering the planet to its usual executioners, Trump, with typical oafish pride practically glories in his lethal denialism. This naturally pleases Wall Street and the Deep State although they keep pretending he’s an opponent and an “outsider” to their values.  Ignoring nature, of course, is a loser’s propostion, and no amount of wealth.   or imagined power can insulate anyone from her wrath.

As most rational and decent people agree, nature follows its own inexorable laws and eventually she will be heard, making life miserable even among those who have long denied the gravity of her problems. Our biosphere has been punctured by an amoral system of industrialism, taken to sociopathic levels by US-led capitalism. The American population, long indoctrinated in all-out irresponsible consumerism, addicted to cheap, infantile escapism, and anesthesized to the need for urgent mobilization and changes in their sacrosanct way of life, have played a nefarious role in enabling America’s malignant leadership to derail world efforts to coordinate an appropriate and timely response. Now, after literally sowing the wind with our ecological criminality, we are reaping a whirlwind of destruction and death that may well finish us all in one or two generations.

The videos below are eloquent proof of the catastrophes we have spawned.  It’s time to take action. Rule by self-serving plutocratic elites must end.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CKhs-bHOysY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CKhs-bHOysY</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo9XmV8hJNY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jo9XmV8hJNY</a>

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

Comment here or on our Facebook Group page.

Things to ponder

While our media prostitutes, many Hollywood celebs, and politicians and opinion shapers make so much noise about the still to be demonstrated damage done by the Russkies to our nonexistent democracy, this is what the sanctimonious US government has done overseas just since the close of World War 2. And this is what we know about. Many other misdeeds are yet to be revealed or documented.

Parting shot—a word from the editors

The Best Definition of Donald Trump We Have Found

In his zeal to prove to his antagonists in the War Party that he is as bloodthirsty as their champion, Hillary Clinton, and more manly than Barack Obama, Trump seems to have gone “play-crazy” — acting like an unpredictable maniac in order to terrorize the Russians into forcing some kind of dramatic concessions from their Syrian allies, or risk Armageddon.However, the “play-crazy” gambit can only work when the leader is, in real life, a disciplined and intelligent actor, who knows precisely what actual boundaries must not be crossed. That ain’t Donald Trump — a pitifully shallow and ill-disciplined man, emotionally handicapped by obscene privilege and cognitively crippled by white American chauvinism. By pushing Trump into a corner and demanding that he display his most bellicose self, or be ceaselessly mocked as a “puppet” and minion of Russia, a lesser power, the War Party and its media and clandestine services have created a perfect storm of mayhem that may consume us all.— Glen Ford, Editor in Chief, Black Agenda Report
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline AJ

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2018, 05:08:23 AM »
Loved your fireside chat RE, keep them up.
I was born in S. Cal and moved out 40 years ago (too many people crowded together). I moved out of N. Cal 3 years ago (to retire) because of too many people, earthquakes, fires, climate change and collapse coming our way. Now I realize I didn't move far enough away by coming to coastal Oregon. Climate change is chasing me with wildfires. . . Is Alaska safe?
AJ