AuthorTopic: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires  (Read 2903 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🔥 California wildfire survivors face new challenge: rebuilding
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
So which Insurance Company declares BK first?

Insurance companies are a total rip-off and a criminal racket.

Anybody who does get some money is nuts to rebuild there.  Take the money and run.

RE

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-wildfires-insurance/california-wildfire-survivors-face-new-challenge-rebuilding-idUSKBN1O10D2

Environment
December 2, 2018 / 2:17 AM / Updated 7 hours ago
California wildfire survivors face new challenge: rebuilding
Lee van der Voo

4 Min Read

CHICO, Calif. (Reuters) - Rebuilding Paradise, California, after it was leveled by fire three weeks ago will pose a new massive challenge to the devastated mountain community - starting with complicated insurance claims for nearly 14,000 lost homes.
FILE PHOTO: Firefighters move debris while recovering human remains from a trailer home destroyed by the Camp Fire in Paradise, California, U.S., November 17, 2018. REUTERS/Terray Sylvester

At least 88 people were killed in the Camp Fire and nearly 200 others are still listed as missing, making the wildfire the deadliest in state history. Law enforcement officials say the search for remains in the ash and rubble has officially ended.

Some of those who escaped the flames only to find themselves homeless are expected to be allowed to return to inspect their properties as early as next week. Many will find themselves essentially starting over, facing months or even years of rebuilding and seeking compensation for their losses.

Christopher Gregg, whose home in Paradise was a total loss, said he’s not getting answers to the question of when he will be compensated by his insurance company.

“They say, ‘We’ll let you know as soon as we can.’ Well, when can we get back on our feet, is my question. I’d like to know ... When do we get a chance to resume some portion of our lives?” he said.

Insurance teams began gathering in Chico in the early days of the fire that erupted on Nov. 8 and rapidly engulfed Paradise about 20 minutes away and surrounding communities.

Working out of truck trailers, temporary tents and recreational vehicles in mall parking lots, and equipped with generators and satellite communications, insurance adjusters say they have been stymied in part by a ban on flying drones over what is left of the town of 27,000.

Insurers responding to natural disasters typically use drones to obtain 360-degree views of damage when access is limited. But the drones have been restricted as crews work to clear downed trees and power lines, as well as burn debris and restore infrastructure.
BILLIONS IN LOSSES

Pop-up insurance booths are a common site these days in California as it experiences its most destructive wildfire season on record.

A total of 7,579 fires have burned some 1,667,855 acres, an area roughly the size of Delaware, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Moody’s last week estimated total insured losses at $10-$15 billion from the Camp Fire and the Woolsey fire, which was burning at the same time in the foothills above Malibu in southern California.

Insurers say climate change is a factor in the more intense fire seasons and are raising rates or even dropping coverage.
FILE PHOTO: Firefighters move debris while recovering human remains from a trailer home destroyed by the Camp Fire in Paradise, California, U.S., November 17, 2018. REUTERS/Terray Sylvester

“We’re seeing these fires these last few years that people have defined as 1-in-500-year-type events ... Absolutely we’re seeing some things change and climate change is playing a role in that,” said Suzanne Meraz, spokesperson for CSAA Insurance Company.

Insurers now often use computer models to generate house-by-house risk predictions, factoring in such features as local topography and brush cover instead of just using a more general history of blazes in a region.

Paradise resident Ed Riddle was focusing on one task at a time. His home is a total loss, confirmed by a friend who was able to take pictures.

“I kind of feel like a turtle on its back looking for a rock,” he said.

Riddle said he would like to rebuild, but wasn’t sure what that would look like. “There are so many rumors about how long its going to take before we can.”
Former President George H.W. Bush dies at 94

He had been in touch with his insurer and already received some payments.

“I guess they’re going to present me with some options whether to rebuild or not. I’m told I shouldn’t make any decisions quickly about that,” he said.

Reporting by Lee van der Voo in Chico, California; Writing by Dan Whitcomb in Los Angeles; Editing by Bill Tarrant and Sonya Hepinstall
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🔥 California wildfires' carbon emissions equal to a year of power pollution
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2018, 01:44:21 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-wildfires-carbon-emissions-equal-year-power-pollution-n942756

California wildfires' carbon emissions equal to a year of power pollution

The analysis "shows just how bad catastrophic fires are for the environment and for the public's health," U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said.
Dec. 2, 2018 / 7:51 AM AKST / Source: Associated Press
By Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — Wildfires in California in 2018 released the rough equivalent of about 68 million tons of heat-trapping carbon dioxide — about the same amount of carbon emissions as are produced in a year to provide electricity to the state, U.S. Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said Friday.

The carbon dioxide figure — based on data analyzed by the U.S. Geological Survey — is more than 15 percent of all emissions produced by California in a year, according to Zinke.

"We know that wildfires can be deadly and cost billions of dollars, but this analysis from the U.S. Geological Survey also shows just how bad catastrophic fires are for the environment and for the public's health," Zinke said in a statement.

This year included California's deadliest and most destructive wildfire — a blaze in November that took out nearly 14,000 homes in a rural Northern California county and killed at least 88 people. Another fire that started the same day in Southern California killed three people and destroyed 1,500 structures, including the homes of celebrities in tony Malibu.

Those two fires produced emissions equivalent to roughly 5.5 million tons of carbon dioxide, Zinke said.
Recommended
Desperate search for Florida woman missing in Costa Rica
Nadler: 'There certainly was leverage during the campaign period'

The 2018 emissions figure for California wildfires is "strikingly high, significant in the context of overall statewide emissions, and likely a record value for single-year direct carbon emissions from wildfires in California history," said Daniel Swain, a climate scientist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"It is an alarming number, but we live in a fire-prone state," said Dick Cameron, director of science for land programs at the California chapter of the Nature Conservancy.

Zinke used the carbon figure he released Friday to continue to push for the thinning of forests. Cameron said that would help but that climate and home construction were also significant factors in the destructiveness of the fires.

Cameron cautioned that wildfire emissions were still a relatively small component of climate changing greenhouse gases. In California, cars and other transportation account for more than 40 percent of total emissions.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2018, 04:58:12 AM »
So, as I sit here in the rain in the coastal mountains of Oregon, I'm still worrying about FIRE!! Summers coming (Game of Thrones got the seasons mixed up). I know C5 had some ideas that a shipping container would be your best above ground shelter from storms and fires? Any ideas (or web sites) anyone knows that backs that up. Anyone know of any plans to modify a small shipping container? I know if I moved to the middle of the desert I wouldn't have to worry about fire - only dying of heat and lack of water ;D. I could live with my house and some of my preps going up in flames but what do you do next. Imagine if you were "fully" prepared for a SHTF day and were living in Paradise (CA that is)(would you even be living there???). You lost everything, then what do you do (if you survive)? I think some reasonable prep to survive that and have a habitat might make sense. Savannah is a reasonable plan for RE, and I think he is covered if habitat becomes completely unlivable. I'm just thinking a modified shipping container might make sense??
AJ

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:14 AM »
So, as I sit here in the rain in the coastal mountains of Oregon, I'm still worrying about FIRE!! Summers coming (Game of Thrones got the seasons mixed up). I know C5 had some ideas that a shipping container would be your best above ground shelter from storms and fires? Any ideas (or web sites) anyone knows that backs that up. Anyone know of any plans to modify a small shipping container? I know if I moved to the middle of the desert I wouldn't have to worry about fire - only dying of heat and lack of water ;D. I could live with my house and some of my preps going up in flames but what do you do next. Imagine if you were "fully" prepared for a SHTF day and were living in Paradise (CA that is)(would you even be living there???). You lost everything, then what do you do (if you survive)? I think some reasonable prep to survive that and have a habitat might make sense. Savannah is a reasonable plan for RE, and I think he is covered if habitat becomes completely unlivable. I'm just thinking a modified shipping container might make sense??
AJ

You're going to want to berm it to insulate from the heat.

Also an air filtration system for the smoke, and for when the fire is passing straight over you, a separate air supply stored in SCUBA tanks.  The fire will consume all the oxygen in the area and a filtration system doesn't solve that problem.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2018, 06:02:11 AM »
I'd think of such a container to be a secure storage at best, and not a place to survive a fire. That's probably not going to work, at least not in a bad one like the Camp fire. And yes, earth sheltering would be required.

Using scuba tanks is hopium bullshit.

You might want to read about Monolithic domes. I think David South has some recent reports of domes that survived some of these fires. Earthships are also fairly fire impervious.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »

Using scuba tanks is hopium bullshit.

Why?  Firefighters use them all the time.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »
The rubber & plastic melting/deforming on the tanks from the heat will render them useless prior
to the air supply running out.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
I don't think the "rubber" or "plastic" would melt before you died of thermal injuries.  These units are designed for firefighters to go into burning buildings and survive. They have built in LOUD alarms if the firefighter stops moving or stops breathing(I have to test them out monthly at our volunteer fire department). So, on one level they are hopium - if you are in a can and you bake the can you will die because of the heat before your air tank runs out. I did more research on line and the only truly safe shelter is a couple of feet underground with a compressed air supply. Maybe earth bermed could survive? The underground option is toooooo expensive (my wife would never let me do it ::). However, since I have 25 acres, if I can find a spot where there are no burning trees to fall on the container that would probably work. I could always go hang out in the pond until the fire passed by. Most in Paradise died in their burning homes or in vehicles. With the burning trees/brush right next to your vehicle you are probably toast. With a shipping container in a open field far enough from any falling trees it might be doable.
Thanks everyone.
AJ

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »
I don't think the "rubber" or "plastic" would melt before you died of thermal injuries.  These units are designed for firefighters to go into burning buildings and survive. They have built in LOUD alarms if the firefighter stops moving or stops breathing(I have to test them out monthly at our volunteer fire department). So, on one level they are hopium - if you are in a can and you bake the can you will die because of the heat before your air tank runs out. I did more research on line and the only truly safe shelter is a couple of feet underground with a compressed air supply. Maybe earth bermed could survive? The underground option is toooooo expensive (my wife would never let me do it ::). However, since I have 25 acres, if I can find a spot where there are no burning trees to fall on the container that would probably work. I could always go hang out in the pond until the fire passed by. Most in Paradise died in their burning homes or in vehicles. With the burning trees/brush right next to your vehicle you are probably toast. With a shipping container in a open field far enough from any falling trees it might be doable.
Thanks everyone.
AJ

This is good intel.
My neighbor is a fireman & next time he's home I'll pick his brain about tanks & such. He's been sent to the
FireFighters U in Md. for training several times.

This is a posing question to you & C5. Why haven't you guys made a rock - fort - igloo into a hillside. There's probably a better term
but you get the idea. Safe against high winds, intense heat & smoke for the most part if it isn't a direct flow, it should glance off.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
Probably wouldn't hurt to do some spelunking in your local yokel area.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »
The rubber & plastic melting/deforming on the tanks from the heat will render them useless prior
to the air supply running out.

That's why you berm the shelter, to insulate out the heat.  Far as the outfits the firefighters wear and the tanks,  it withstands pretty high temperatures with nearby flames.  It's a composite plastic like silicone, not rubber.  Like the bakewear and cooking implements you can buy nowadays.

Firefighters will actually go IN to burning buildings in this getup to get people out.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »
I'm not a firefighter, but I've read some about it. Firefighters don't stay in burning buildings for any longer than they have to, and it's a dangerous job, and people die doing it.

I say the idea of a regular guy having an air supply inside a bunker to survive a fire isn't realistic. For one thing, the equipment costs a lot, and it has to be regularly maintained and checked. Where do you buy that kind of stuff? Where do you get the tanks filled. Do you have one for each family member?

The tanks last what? 30 minutes, perhaps? That's about how long a scuba tank lasts, and that's if you're calm and quiet and don't waste air.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/prdpHYelN9o&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/prdpHYelN9o&fs=1</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2018, 03:55:35 PM »

I say the idea of a regular guy having an air supply inside a bunker to survive a fire isn't realistic. For one thing, the equipment costs a lot, and it has to be regularly maintained and checked. Where do you buy that kind of stuff? Where do you get the tanks filled. Do you have one for each family member?

The tanks last what? 30 minutes, perhaps? That's about how long a scuba tank lasts, and that's if you're calm and quiet and don't waste air.

You buy it online, silly rabbit.

$1700 ON SALE for this particular getup, but you don't really need that for this purpose, you're not outside IN the flames, you're hunkered down in your bunker.  All you need is the tank and a regulator, available at much cheaper prices from SCUBA sellers, and cheaper than that on Craig's List.  The tanks are exactly the same.

How big a supply do you need?  Probably 2-3 hours worth while the fire burns through the area right over your bunker.  A large SCUBA tank, good for an hour.  You also have air stored in the space inside the bunker, which needs to be air tight anyhow.  You probably have 2 hours worth of breathable air there before you have too much CO2 and need to crack a tank for breathing.

How do you fill them?  Air Compressor, silly rabbit!  ::)  How do you think SCUBA divers refill their tanks?

They have 12V ones you can run on your Seastead also.  No different really than the compressors you use for powering air tools, you could use one of them also.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
A good cheap scuba compressor runs maybe 4-5K. A really good one is much more. You've just spent a LOT of money online. More than I have to spend for that kind of silly stuff.

And scuba tanks? You can't even get them filled unless you have your C card, or unless you fill them yourself.

I occasionally run across a boat with a dive compressor installed. It would be nice thing to have.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2018, 04:33:15 PM »
A good cheap scuba compressor runs maybe 4-5K. A really good one is much more. You've just spent a LOT of money online. More than I have to spend for that kind of silly stuff.

And scuba tanks? You can't even get them filled unless you have your C card, or unless you fill them yourself.

I occasionally run across a boat with a dive compressor installed. It would be nice thing to have.

The SCUBA compressor I pictured goes for $800 new on Amazon.  And like I said, an air tool compressor will do the same job and is available for $300 at Walmart.  You can also get cheap really BIG commercial tanks used for Helium Balloons and such quite cheap.  Those suckers will hold hours worth of air.  You just think too much like a rich person.  You don't know how to make do anymore.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN