AuthorTopic: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires  (Read 16265 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 🔥 The New World of Wildfires
« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2019, 09:54:08 AM »
my crock pot does 125 watts and hour to simmer a large stew. at the 200 setting it will boil eventually.

BTW, you cannot simmer a decent stew in an hour in a Slow Cooker.  Gotta go Overnight or while at work, maybe 6 hours.

In the Instapot Pressure Cooker you could do it in an hour.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
my crock pot does 125 watts and hour to simmer a large stew. at the 200 setting it will boil eventually. That and the induction hotplate would be my choices if I did not have gas. I have solar though so it would be easy. The problem with methane digesters is they are a non viable solution for the northern half of the world at least on an individual scale. You end up burning most of the gas to keep it hot enough to produce gas in the first place. Then you have the issue that its 25 percent co2 so would be hard to run in conventional gas appliances unless you adjusted the size of the gas orifice. So you are creating a new device for it... I think you are right that wood would be king in the northern hemisphere. I'm currently looking at some land that is 15 acres of woods, 8 acres of open field... If it goes through it could be a huge change for me...

Would you have to move to it or is it within reasonable distance of your current Doomestead?

RE
its about 90 minutes away. A little further south but more remote than here. I would sell and rebuild and my partner would do the same. Sort of a fresh start without the past adding weight. It's still early days though. The offer is pending so it's real. Land around here has gone too crazy. Marginal ag land a little south on the other hand is comparatively cheap...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 11, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »
my crock pot does 125 watts and hour to simmer a large stew. at the 200 setting it will boil eventually. That and the induction hotplate would be my choices if I did not have gas. I have solar though so it would be easy. The problem with methane digesters is they are a non viable solution for the northern half of the world at least on an individual scale. You end up burning most of the gas to keep it hot enough to produce gas in the first place. Then you have the issue that its 25 percent co2 so would be hard to run in conventional gas appliances unless you adjusted the size of the gas orifice. So you are creating a new device for it... I think you are right that wood would be king in the northern hemisphere. I'm currently looking at some land that is 15 acres of woods, 8 acres of open field... If it goes through it could be a huge change for me...

Would you have to move to it or is it within reasonable distance of your current Doomestead?

RE
its about 90 minutes away. A little further south but more remote than here. I would sell and rebuild and my partner would do the same. Sort of a fresh start without the past adding weight. It's still early days though. The offer is pending so it's real. Land around here has gone too crazy. Marginal ag land a little south on the other hand is comparatively cheap...

Starting over is a tough road to hoe.  Also I assume "90 minutes" is using a car,not a mileage walking or even a woddgasr fired tractor. lol.

You have "Partner" now?  Are we talking female type live-in partner?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 11, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »

RE

Starting over is a tough road to hoe.  Also I assume "90 minutes" is using a car,not a mileage walking or even a woddgasr fired tractor. lol.

RE
yes, I have brought out all my shiny rocks and attracted a new partner...we are still in the middle of combining households. She is doom aware but less prone to collapse thinking. Rebuilding will be hard but doing it better funded and more experienced should help ease the hard parts
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 11, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »

RE

RE
yes, I have brought out all my shiny rocks and attracted a new partner...we are still in the middle of combining households. She is doom aware but less prone to collapse thinking. Rebuilding will be hard but doing it better funded and more experienced should help ease the hard parts

How many kids does she have?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 11, 2019, 12:48:13 PM »
Half the country is holding their breath to see what comes of today.
Starts to really hit home when our biggest city starts to get impacted.Outside Eastern sea board Australia is pretty sparsely populated. Last few years have started to see higher density populations impacted. 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/nsw-fires-catastrophic-day-arrives/11694264

What we look forward to:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/worse-than-black-saturday-victoria-braced-for-very-extreme-heatwaves-20191111-p539ju.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/cause-of-bushfires-is-complex-but-climate-change-is-part-of-it/11692176

Posting this 7:45Am local time. Will keep posting as the day rolls on.

JOW

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:12 PM »

RE

RE

RE
she does not have kids of her own

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
Starts to really hit home when our biggest city starts to get impacted.Outside Eastern sea board Australia is pretty sparsely populated. Last few years have started to see higher density populations impacted. 
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/nsw-fires-catastrophic-day-arrives/11694264

What we look forward to:
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/worse-than-black-saturday-victoria-braced-for-very-extreme-heatwaves-20191111-p539ju.html
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-12/cause-of-bushfires-is-complex-but-climate-change-is-part-of-it/11692176

JOW

THX for the Boots-on-the-Ground updates!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2019, 12:57:48 PM »

RE

RE

RE

Oh, you said COMBINING families.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »

RE

RE

RE

Oh, you said COMBINING families.

RE
I said combining households

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »

What we look forward to:

JOW
Good luck. Will you be directly in the path? I wish you well...
Cheers...

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »

What we look forward to:

JOW
Good luck. Will you be directly in the path? I wish you well...
Cheers...

Indeed. We all wish you well, and no fires close by.
Stay in touch.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2019, 01:50:41 PM »
I said combining households

Sorry, my mistake.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2019, 06:22:07 PM »
Victoria Ok at the moment. We have mild conditions and in South and central areas around me is still pretty green. My fire season starts in a month or 2, at least I hope it does. I have a bit more preparing to do yet....
Victoria fires are not an issue: 
https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#

Fires are up in NSW and Queensland. Most between 800 and 1800km to my North.

Outer suburbs of Sydney and right up the East Coast of NSW gettting a hiding right now.

NSW Royal Fire Service real time fire map. Red fire ikons on the map are the clusterfucks.
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Queensland has some problems also mostly in SE corner, North and South of Brisbane connecting up with NSW fires. Fire does not recognize or respect borders.
Rural Fire Services Queensland real time map. The brighter orange fires on the map are the shitstorms.
https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map/Pages/default.aspx

JOW

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2019, 06:36:43 PM »
Victoria Ok at the moment. We have mild conditions and in South and central areas around me is still pretty green. My fire season starts in a month or 2, at least I hope it does. I have a bit more preparing to do yet....
Victoria fires are not an issue: 
https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/#

Fires are up in NSW and Queensland. Most between 800 and 1800km to my North.

Outer suburbs of Sydney and right up the East Coast of NSW gettting a hiding right now.

NSW Royal Fire Service real time fire map. Red fire ikons on the map are the clusterfucks.
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Queensland has some problems also mostly in SE corner, North and South of Brisbane connecting up with NSW fires. Fire does not recognize or respect borders.
Rural Fire Services Queensland real time map. The brighter orange fires on the map are the shitstorms.
https://www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map/Pages/default.aspx

GREAT REPORTING! THX!

RE
Save As Many As You Can