AuthorTopic: Economics explained - sort of  (Read 16844 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Economics explained - sort of
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to spot a troll.

My take on collapse is that we, as individuals and communities, should do what we can to reduce the direct impacts. I consider owning a modest amount of gold to be a prudent undertaking. The doorstop reference was intended to be humorous, but 100 oz silver bars do make nice doorstops.

What Surly said.

You're evading the question.

About individuals and communities reducing direct impact, do you actually think that's going to work?

And if accumulating precious metals is a "prudent undertaking," then why do you see them as doorstops? Or are you referring only to silver?

Show me a golden doorstop for sale on Amazon or Ebay Bubba !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »

Does Gold hold it's value in the 5th Dimension and is it used for money there?

RE

It's actually much more down-to-earth than that. And not just gold but the concept of money.

From what I remember, human societies started with bartering, and then used money in different media as the same societies became more complex.

Thus, humanity is caught in a bind: in order to decrease infant mortality and increase life expectancy rates, it will require not only resource use on a scale that's beyond a hunter-gatherer stage, but efficient use of goods from those resources, and that requires the use of money.

You clearly have never researched NESARA.....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »

Does Gold hold it's value in the 5th Dimension and is it used for money there?

RE

It's actually much more down-to-earth than that. And not just gold but the concept of money.

From what I remember, human societies started with bartering, and then used money in different media as the same societies became more complex.

Thus, humanity is caught in a bind: in order to decrease infant mortality and increase life expectancy rates, it will require not only resource use on a scale that's beyond a hunter-gatherer stage, but efficient use of goods from those resources, and that requires the use of money.

When you go toe to toe with most of us here at this haunt, it's advisable to have a bit more knowledge
on your subjects.
Please read the thread I posted today at the Geopolitics Table. Then we will talk.

Have a stellar day  :icon_sunny: Ralfy ......

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to spot a troll.

My take on collapse is that we, as individuals and communities, should do what we can to reduce the direct impacts. I consider owning a modest amount of gold to be a prudent undertaking. The doorstop reference was intended to be humorous, but 100 oz silver bars do make nice doorstops.

What Surly said.

You're evading the question.

About individuals and communities reducing direct impact, do you actually think that's going to work?

And if accumulating precious metals is a "prudent undertaking," then why do you see them as doorstops? Or are you referring only to silver?

Repeat the question? I lost my train of thought.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »

To those HERE who continue to believe that, because they are so selfish, egotistical, calculating, me first, etc.  smart and so careful and so clever (etc. you get the idea  ;)) to take care of their STUFF (i.e. CAPITAL) (while everybody else's life is going to hell in a hand basket) so they can somehow survive the polluter caused daily trashing of our biosphere, when it has been made painfully clear that the mammalian vertebrates are NUMERO UNO on the extinction to-do list
during this Sixth Mass Extinction Event:

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline ralfy

• Cannot be Saved
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

It's found here:

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,5830.msg138257.html#msg138257

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

It's found here:

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/forum/index.php/topic,5830.msg138257.html#msg138257

Nobody here would even argue about that. If there is no surplus anything to buy or sell, then money becomes useless. But we have no shortage of energy, just a a shortage of easily recoverable fossil fuels. Will that make the value of money or gold go to zero? Not as long as humans can grow food and maintain a livable environment without fossil fuel inputs. As long as there are surplus goods and services, then money will endure.

Energy is only  part of the equation. There are at least three other equally daunting problems to deal with that I can think of off-hand.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2017, 11:18:12 AM »

I explained to you why your behavior constitutes trolling.  If you need a further explanation of what is impolite about your posting, calling someone so stupid they don't understand their own viewpoint is the definition of being impolite.  Apparently, you are unwilling or unable to change your posting style, since you shotgunned out another batch of really annoying posts.

Not only that, but you pissed off two other Admins enough to tell you to go fuck yourself.  Are you oblivious to the fact you're pissing people off here?  This doesn't register in your brain?

What we have here is FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/452XjnaHr1A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/452XjnaHr1A</a>

You will be put on moderation.  Don't bother writing posts complaining or asking for further explanations, they will go to the Duly Noted & Filed Bin (DNF).  If you write a post I think has some redeeming value and manages not to insult anyone, I might let it through.  If you continue to write annoying posts and I get tired of moderating you, I will ban your ass.

RE

Didn't you state earlier that I'm not a troll? That is the second time you've changed your mind.

Please quote the statement where I called someone "stupid."

Posting style? What does that mean?

Now, you're even justifying impolite behavior from another admin!

Ban my ass? That's rude!

So, let's see what you've done so far:

You asked me to explain a four-word comment that turned out to require no explanation.

After that, you started insulting me by posting pictures of toilets.

From there, you argued that I called you "stupid" where is no evidence at all in my posts to show that, and then illogically used that reason to justify another admin's rude behavior.

And after all that, you change you mind again and demand that I change my "posting style" while threatening to "ban my ass."

Given that, I think the problem is not some "failure to communicate" but the fact that you've been attacking me from the start, that you can't make up your mind about that, that you resort to immature behavior such as posting memes, and then come up with even more excuses, such as complaining about some "posting style" and things I never said (where did I call someone "stupid"?).

If you're going to ban me, then just do it. All I ask is that you do so fairly.

One more thing: I complained about Surly's personal attack, and received e-mail where I was laughed at for reporting that.

Given that, why do you require me to act politely (which is what I've been doing from the start, given the fact that my posts contain no personal attacks or even profanity) when the moderator makes a mockery of that?

I only approved this one in order to call bullshit. If you don't "get" the reasons we think you're a troll then you're way too far toward the autistic end of the spectrum to communicate with the people who come here to hang out.

Mainly, I think your comments are meaningless crap, that add nothing to the conversation here. I don't ban people, but I'm not going to approve any more of you comments. Have a nice day.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:16:20 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »

I explained to you why your behavior constitutes trolling.  If you need a further explanation of what is impolite about your posting, calling someone so stupid they don't understand their own viewpoint is the definition of being impolite.  Apparently, you are unwilling or unable to change your posting style, since you shotgunned out another batch of really annoying posts.

Not only that, but you pissed off two other Admins enough to tell you to go fuck yourself.  Are you oblivious to the fact you're pissing people off here?  This doesn't register in your brain?

What we have here is FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/452XjnaHr1A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/452XjnaHr1A</a>

You will be put on moderation.  Don't bother writing posts complaining or asking for further explanations, they will go to the Duly Noted & Filed Bin (DNF).  If you write a post I think has some redeeming value and manages not to insult anyone, I might let it through.  If you continue to write annoying posts and I get tired of moderating you, I will ban your ass.

RE

Didn't you state earlier that I'm not a troll? That is the second time you've changed your mind.

Please quote the statement where I called someone "stupid."

Posting style? What does that mean?

Now, you're even justifying impolite behavior from another admin!

Ban my ass? That's rude!

So, let's see what you've done so far:

You asked me to explain a four-word comment that turned out to require no explanation.

After that, you started insulting me by posting pictures of toilets.

From there, you argued that I called you "stupid" where is no evidence at all in my posts to show that, and then illogically used that reason to justify another admin's rude behavior.

And after all that, you change you mind again and demand that I change my "posting style" while threatening to "ban my ass."

Given that, I think the problem is not some "failure to communicate" but the fact that you've been attacking me from the start, that you can't make up your mind about that, that you resort to immature behavior such as posting memes, and then come up with even more excuses, such as complaining about some "posting style" and things I never said (where did I call someone "stupid"?).

If you're going to ban me, then just do it. All I ask is that you do so fairly.

One more thing: I complained about Surly's personal attack, and received e-mail where I was laughed at for reporting that.

Given that, why do you require me to act politely (which is what I've been doing from the start, given the fact that my posts contain no personal attacks or even profanity) when the moderator makes a mockery of that?

I only approved this one in order to call bullshit. If you don't "get" the reasons we think you're a troll then you're way too far toward the autistic end of the spectrum to communicate with the people who come here to hang out.

Mainly, I think you're comments are meaningless crap, that add nothing to the conversation here. I don't ban people, but I'm not going to approve any more of you comments. Have a nice day.

I was wondering how that appeared. ???  :icon_scratch:

I DELETED it after you approved it.  :)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
Good.

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
It's a shame.  I do like the dancing Caucasian smiley face chorus line.  A line of dancing stopwatches done in the same style would also look cool.  Too bad I'm not an artist and too bad Ralfy is a troll. 

And shouldn't it be Ralphy?
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
It's a shame.  I do like the dancing Caucasian smiley face chorus line.  A line of dancing stopwatches done in the same style would also look cool.  Too bad I'm not an artist and too bad Ralfy is a troll. 

And shouldn't it be Ralphy?

How about Infinite recursive stopwatches done on the computer?  You could generate that image easily.

However you spell Ralfy, it means the same thing:

ralph

verb

(also Ralph or ralph up or rolf ) To vomit; barf: He ralphs up the downers and the quarts of beer

1967  Teenagers; probably echoic]
The Dictionary of American Slang, Fourth Edition by Barbara Ann Kipfer, PhD. and Robert L. Chapman, Ph.D.
Copyright (C) 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers
[/i].

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_SKdN1xQBjk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_SKdN1xQBjk</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Economics explained - sort of
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »
"The entire history of swift economic growth, which began somewhat suddenly in the 18th century, is not the result of innovation or trade or the dynamics of global capitalism but simply our discovery of fossil fuels and all their raw power — a onetime injection of new “value” into a system that had previously been characterized by global subsistence living. - Andreas Malm

Fossil fuel economics,  while countless meat-heads have waxed poetic about the wisdom of the markets the truth is probably that they simply claim results which are due to mainlining high EROEI fuels in a controlled capitalist manner.  Other ways of socially organizing and utilizing the fuels would have produced better results.  High EROEI in a stable ecosystem should always lead to prosperity unless total insanity rules.

Andreas Malm wrote a book and teaches human ecology at Lund University, Sweden.

'Fossil Capital'

How capitalism first promoted fossil fuels with the rise of steam power
The more we know about the catastrophic implications of climate change, the more fossil fuels we burn. How did we end up in this mess?

In this masterful new history, Andreas Malm claims it all began in Britain with the rise of steam power. But why did manufacturers turn from traditional sources of power, notably water mills, to an engine fired by coal? Contrary to established views, steam offered neither cheaper nor more abundant energy—but rather superior control of subordinate labour. Animated by fossil fuels, capital could concentrate production at the most profitable sites and during the most convenient hours, as it continues to do today. Sweeping from nineteenth-century Manchester to the emissions explosion in China, from the original triumph of coal to the stalled shift to renewables, this study hones in on the burning heart of capital and demonstrates, in unprecedented depth, that turning down the heat will mean a radical overthrow of the current economic order.

Malm's idea may result from viewing 'globalization' through a historical lens.  Perhaps he is on to something.  A though virus of capitalism destroyed the world.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.