AuthorTopic: Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving  (Read 75 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:25 PM »
My son and his beloved drove down from Chicago yesterday, and they spent the day hanging out with his local friends, whom he hasn't seen much of lately. Now they've gone out for ice cream.

Adventurer daughter is in Costa Rica with her BF taking a much anticipated few days off from her school schedule, which has been pretty grueling, what with her studies in Chinese medicine and accupuncture, and finishing up pre-requisites for "real" medical school.

Singer daughter is in NY. We were going up, but backed out several weeks ago. Too close to Christmas vacation.

Teacher daughter has been off work this week, but hasn't made it across town to drop in. I expect she'll show up here an hour before time for TG dinner, as we're loading up the car to drive to the park. That's our tradition now, for 20 plus years, to eat the holiday meal outdoors in the park. It's been very warm here, but it's supposed to get down in the 30's tonight, with temps tomorrow in the 60's. I'm sure it'll be a beautiful day, though. Thanksgiving Day almost always is here.

I have completed the assembly of the chocolate mousse, which is my special holiday dessert. I tasted it, and it's damned good.

I also have about 20 filets marinating in fresh garlic, sea salt, and organic pepper overnight, which I will grill in the park. Other people will be bringing the turkey, ham, and all the sides and desserts that have come to be expected. I do steaks and baked potatoes. I decided not to do steaks last year, and some people were disappointed. So...they're back!  We're expecting about fifteen people.

I wanted to drop in to the Diner and say a special thanks to everyone who contributes here: Surly, RE, AGelbert, Golden Oxen, David B. Moniker, Azozeo, Knarf,K-Dog  Monsta, Lucid, GypsyMama and all those who drop by to read the collapse press. The Diner has been a refuge for me over several years now, and I feel like this forum has been where I've found my chops as a writer, such as they are.

Love is an overused word but I love all you guys. You've been my daily companions in the virtual world and my compatriots on some excellent adventures in the real world too, most of you.  So, I just wanted to say thanks.

Saturday is my 62nd birthday. The collapse of modern civilization is ongoing. It is speeding up, and it's more noticeable even to the most casual observer than it was when I first visited the Diner. I'm not even sure how long that's been. Four years? Five? Who knows what the next year holds, or the next ten.

But I'm grateful. Grateful for a good life. Grateful for the lesson here, even if humanity, as a group, isn't learning it fast enough to prevent disaster. And especially grateful for my doomer friends. I wish each of you a wonderful day tomorrow. I hope you get to spend it with those you love the most, and that you get to enjoy whatever special foods and traditions that make Thanksgiving what it is for you.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:29:04 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:10:38 AM »
I wanted to drop in to the Diner and say a special thanks to everyone who contributes here: Surly, RE, AGelbert, Golden Oxen, David B. Moniker, Azozeo, Knarf,K-Dog  Monsta, Lucid, GypsyMama and all those who drop by to read the collapse press. The Diner has been a refuge for me over several years now, and I feel like this forum has been where I've found my chops as a writer, such as they are.

//
But I'm grateful. Grateful for a good life. Grateful for the lesson here, even if humanity, as a group, isn't learning it fast enough to prevent disaster. And especially grateful for my doomer friends. I wish each of you a wonderful day tomorrow. I hope you get to spend it with those you love the most, and that you get to enjoy whatever special foods and traditions that make Thanksgiving what it is for you.

Your feast sounds amazing. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family as well!

Your thoughts on gratitude spurred some reflections... not surprising given the date. Cultivating a notion of gratitude is really the secret for having a happy life, and being grateful for the life you have and the people in it means that one has come to terms with what "enough" is. Those who never have "enough" bristle with grievance. (Thinking of the 5:30AM trip-to-the-shitter rage tweeter here.)

Grateful for the life I have, am looking forward to enjoying the day with members of my wife's family. Wishing a happy Thanksgiving to all of our Diner regulars, lurkers, and government observers.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound