AuthorTopic: The ongoing saga of women and men and their tangled webs  (Read 418 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
The ongoing saga of women and men and their tangled webs
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
There was also a time when a woman insisted I fuck her after a date.  I drove her to her own place after having dinner with her.  She pulled me in her door, she did not ask.  I was 22 at the time and so was she.  I had been enamored with Diane and had been trying to get her out on a date for months.  When I finally got the courage up to ask her out she said yes and I was elated.  Diane got pregnant after our date and told her mother I had raped her.  Then she got an abortion.  I knew nothing.  After our date she had not had anything to do with me.  Shunned I was devastated for I had really liked Dianne.  Alone and hurt I fucking cried.  I liked her so much that I did not want to have sex with her at all on our first date only to be another notch in her belt.  Diane was popular.  The nearest person I can think of to describe Diane to you would be Daryl Hannah with lose morals, at 22.

Dude, don't you get it? She wasn't pregnant with your kid. You were the fall guy.

She was pregnant with the child of her real boyfriend, the captain of the football team (or the church youth minister...or some other guy she was trying to protect......Who probably didn't rape her, but who did get her drunk and take advantage of her).

Stuck and not wanting her parents to make her stop seeing the real boyfriend, she took advantage of you (she knew you liked her). After screwing you (literally and figuratively) she could blame the unwanted pregnancy on you and being raped, get  a quick abortion and keep right on fucking the other guy (except she probably figured out birth control at that point)

I'd almost guarantee that this is the real story. It's a really old story and you are far from the first to tell it.

Diane had also told a married couple she spent a lot of time with who I had also known but just a little.  Suddenly they treated me like shit.  They never got the right story and probably still think I'm an asshole.  I had gone out of my way to be friendly with the husband not understanding what was going on.  They were not telling me anything.  If I ever saw Larry again I'd demand we have a talk.  Last time I saw him I was still in the dark about what Diane had done to me. 

I missed this part on my first read through. Actually, Dog, I kinda like Larry for the real sperm donor. It all ties together nicely. I doubt he was in the dark at all about what she did. He knew, and it benefited him to let you take the fall for him.

Larry was a church puppy.  He was also a bit on the simple side.  I doubt it would have been him but I could be wrong.  This was the middle of the 70's where strange things happened.  Your comment has certainly changed the tone of my imaginary confrontation with Larry.  His misplaced vein popping moral outrage against me seemed genuine but could it have been too genuine?  It is possible.

You have an interesting theory but Larry preserved his outrage long after it was necessary.  I suspect he would have stopped his dagger looks of death after 'the problem' had been solved yet his intensity was passionate and remained.  The reason I was a mushroom in the dark for so long is because these people stopped talking to me and so things could never possibly work out.  I don't see it as a case of me being played but people being played never do.  Could it have been someone else.  Yes I suppose you are right but Diane's sister knew her pretty well.

This all happened in the mid 70's when the first thing that came out of a woman's mouth when you met here was:

'What do you do?'

At the time I was essentially broke and while I may have been a sweet physical type I was not attractive from a financial point of view.  At that time anyway, fortunately this is not true anymore.  I really did not figure out some women found me attractive until middle age when I was then comfortable enough with my own self-esteem; comfortable in my own skin, to see myself that way. 

Women still wait for the first move from you even if they find you attractive so if you don't think you are attractive to women yourself you may never know you are.  That was where I was for years.  Complements in one ear and right out the other.

Mrs. Dog has always gone on about how good looking I am but for decades I thought she was an exception to the rule.  She also made big points by asking what I wanted to do when I met her and not the standard old tiresome 70's turnoff, 'What do you do?'

We have talked about this and Mrs. Dog said it was because she pegged me for a diamond in the rough right away and that all the other women who passed me by were fools for not having the patience to let things all work out over time and recognize my potential.

The sperm donor would have been a rock musician.  Diane had a thing for rock musicians and had recently broken up with one she had been seeing on and off for a long time.

That could be it. Rock musicians have been known to use their special status to get laid, and the more famous they are, the more callous they are.

Ever see Empire Records? One of my kids' favorite movies.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0p1BatgXE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0p1BatgXE&fs=1</a>

Mrs. Dog said it was because she pegged me for a diamond in the rough right away and that all the other women who passed me by were fools for not having the patience to let things all work out over time and recognize my potential.

Mrs. Eddie....same story, my brother.

Generally, when it comes to good marriages, it's because the woman had that.....whatever it is ---instinct? Good sense? Toilet training? I'm not sure, but somehow women are very gifted that way, and I'm glad. When I was young, I'm not sure I was a diamond, but I was damn sure in the rough. I knew zilch about women then, and had poor self-esteem from my upbringing as a poor kid from out in the sticks. I was so needy most women could read me from across the room and leave before I even said hello. But Mrs. Eddie saw something in me nobody else did.

Seems we both may have been rough in the same way. 

I have been thinking about what you think about the Diane situation and I think you may be right. 

We had our date on a Friday and she told me we could not see each other that weekend; that she would be visiting her mother.  It was odd she showed excitement when she told me because her mother was in the same town as it turned out.  I had asked where she was because Diane had made it sound like a big trip was involved.  I found that odd.

The weekend passed and Monday came.  I knew Diane from commuting on a passenger ferry from Bainbridge Island.  Forty five minutes every morning.  I was taking classes at the University of Washington.  I was excited to see her Monday but she took an earlier ferry. Same thing happened Tuesday.  Wednesday I saw her and she acted odd.  It was not the same woman I had left early Saturday morning.  After that strangeness she avoided me altogether.

The timing of events fits your explanation best, the timeline was too quick to fit her lies with the same certainty.  Your scenario has been suggested to me before but I always dismissed it previously because Diane had her own place and her own job.  There was no reason for made up drama, Diane was an independent woman.  So why the lies and the drama.  That part I canít figure.  Yet it happened.
We
I think you are right Eddie but the question is why?

She could have just made a Doctors appointment and taken care of her Larry problem.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:12:08 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »

In this Nov. 27, 2017 photo, Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., speaks to the media on Capitol Hill in Washington. Franken is denying an accusation by a former Democratic congressional aide that he tried to forcibly kiss her after a taping of his radio show in 2006.

The Latest on Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., and the allegations of sexual misconduct against him (all times local):

12:35 p.m.

Minnesota Republicans are reaching out to former Gov. Tim Pawlenty about running in a race to replace Sen. Al Franken.

Franken says he is resigning after accusations by several women of sexual misconduct. That sets up a November 2018 election to serve the final two years of his term.

Republicans have also identified former Sen. Norm Coleman as a possible candidate.

Coleman has already posted on his personal Facebook page that he won't run. He narrowly lost to Franken in 2008 in a close election that included a monthslong vote count.

Pawlenty ran for president in 2012.

___

12:30 p.m.

Sen. Al Franken says he's been an advocate for women. That's even as he resigns amid a torrent of sexual misconduct accusations.

The Minnesota Democrat says he's used his position "to be a champion of women." He says despite the allegations, "I know who I really am."

He says, "Even on the worst day of my political life, I feel like it's all been worth it."

Franken is serving his ninth year as senator. He says he'll resign in the coming weeks.

___

12:15 p.m.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he hasn't decided on a replacement for Al Franken.

Franken says he'll step down in the coming weeks. He's facing allegations of sexual misconduct from several women.

The Democratic governor says he expects to make and announce his decision in the next couple of days. Whomever he names will serve until a special the election in November to complete the remainder of Franken's term through 2020.

___

12:10 p.m.

Democratic senators, staff and family members were somber yet emotional as they watched Minnesota Sen. Al Franken say he would resign.

Franken's family members sat in the Senate gallery, some of them crying. Staff lined up in the back of the chamber, stone faced. And around 18 Democratic senators quietly listened to his speech on the floor. Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona was also there.

Democrats who sat and listened to Franken's speech included Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, the first to call Wednesday for Franken to resign.

Franken was facing multiple sexual misconduct allegations. After his 11 minute speech, Democrats lined up to hug him.

___

12:05 p.m.

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken says he'll resign in the coming weeks. He's repeatedly apologized as several women accused him of sexually inappropriate behavior, and as his support from fellow Democrats evaporated.

The Minnesota lawmaker took to the Senate floor to say, "I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice." He says he'll addressing issues as an activist.

Franken says he can't go through a Senate Ethics Committee investigation and effectively represent his state at the same time.

In remarks that lasted 11 minutes, he said that, thanks to his family, "I'm going to be just fine."

He says some charges against him are untrue and that he remembers other differently than his accusers do. But he says women "deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously."

___

11:45 a.m.

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken is resigning amid multiple sexual misconduct allegations.

Once a rising star in the Democratic Party, Franken made the announcement in a speech Thursday on the Senate floor.

The two-term lawmaker has repeatedly apologized as several women stepped forward to accuse him of sexually inappropriate behavior, from groping to forcibly trying to kiss them.

But a fresh allegation on Wednesday unleashed a torrent of Democratic demands that Franken step aside. Female senators led the chorus.

Franken is an actor who appeared on "Saturday Night Live" and an author who narrowly won his Senate seat in 2008 after a prolonged vote count. He has been a fierce opponent of the Trump administration.

His political fall has been swift by congressional standards. The first allegation surfaced on Nov. 16.

___

11:35 a.m.

Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine is asking about the number of sexual harassment claims filed against senators and staffers, along with the amount of money spent on settlement of harassment cases.

Kaine writes in a letter to the Senate Office of Compliance that he will publicly release any information he receives to promote greater awareness of the problem and develop solutions.

The Virginia senator's letter comes as Democrat Al Franken of Minnesota is under pressure to resign from the Senate amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

The House has revealed it paid $84,000 in taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment complaint against Texas Republican congressman Blake Farenthold. Settlements by senators, if any, have not been made public.

Kaine says sexual misconduct continues to be a barrier against gender equality.

___

9:29 a.m.

Sen. Al Franken will say whether he is resigning in a speech on the Senate floor at 11:45 a.m.

Franken is under intense pressure to step down as allegations of sexual misconduct have mounted, with at least eight women accusing him of acting inappropriately.

The Minnesota senator's support among fellow Democrats crumbled on Wednesday after a woman accused Franken of trying to forcibly kiss her in 2006. Hours later another woman said Franken inappropriately squeezed "a handful of flesh" on her waist while posing for a photo with her in 2009.

A tweet on Franken's Twitter account Wednesday evening said Franken was talking with his family, and any report of a final decision his future was inaccurate.

___

3:57 a.m.

Minnesota Democrat Al Franken, facing fresh allegations of sexual misconduct and vanishing support from fellow Democrats, appears to be on the brink of resigning from the Senate.

Franken scheduled an announcement for Thursday, though his office tweeted Wednesday evening that he had not made "a final decision" on resigning.

But a majority of the Senate's Democrats called on the two-term lawmaker to quit after a woman emerged Wednesday morning saying he forcibly tried to kiss her in 2006. Hours later, another woman said Franken inappropriately squeezed "a handful of flesh" on her waist while posing for a photo with her in 2009.

That brought the number of women alleging misconduct by Franken to at least eight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-franken-whether-step-down-143007238--politics.html

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:11:46 PM by K-Dog »
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:38 PM »
There was also a time when a woman insisted I fuck her after a date.  I drove her to her own place after having dinner with her.  She pulled me in her door, she did not ask.  I was 22 at the time and so was she.  I had been enamored with Diane and had been trying to get her out on a date for months.  When I finally got the courage up to ask her out she said yes and I was elated.  Diane got pregnant after our date and told her mother I had raped her.  Then she got an abortion.  I knew nothing.  After our date she had not had anything to do with me.  Shunned I was devastated for I had really liked Dianne.  Alone and hurt I fucking cried.  I liked her so much that I did not want to have sex with her at all on our first date only to be another notch in her belt.  Diane was popular.  The nearest person I can think of to describe Diane to you would be Daryl Hannah with lose morals, at 22.

Dude, don't you get it? She wasn't pregnant with your kid. You were the fall guy.

She was pregnant with the child of her real boyfriend, the captain of the football team (or the church youth minister...or some other guy she was trying to protect......Who probably didn't rape her, but who did get her drunk and take advantage of her).

Stuck and not wanting her parents to make her stop seeing the real boyfriend, she took advantage of you (she knew you liked her). After screwing you (literally and figuratively) she could blame the unwanted pregnancy on you and being raped, get  a quick abortion and keep right on fucking the other guy (except she probably figured out birth control at that point)

I'd almost guarantee that this is the real story. It's a really old story and you are far from the first to tell it.

Diane had also told a married couple she spent a lot of time with who I had also known but just a little.  Suddenly they treated me like shit.  They never got the right story and probably still think I'm an asshole.  I had gone out of my way to be friendly with the husband not understanding what was going on.  They were not telling me anything.  If I ever saw Larry again I'd demand we have a talk.  Last time I saw him I was still in the dark about what Diane had done to me. 

I missed this part on my first read through. Actually, Dog, I kinda like Larry for the real sperm donor. It all ties together nicely. I doubt he was in the dark at all about what she did. He knew, and it benefited him to let you take the fall for him.

Larry was a church puppy.  He was also a bit on the simple side.  I doubt it would have been him but I could be wrong.  This was the middle of the 70's where strange things happened.  Your comment has certainly changed the tone of my imaginary confrontation with Larry.  His misplaced vein popping moral outrage against me seemed genuine but could it have been too genuine?  It is possible.

You have an interesting theory but Larry preserved his outrage long after it was necessary.  I suspect he would have stopped his dagger looks of death after 'the problem' had been solved yet his intensity was passionate and remained.  The reason I was a mushroom in the dark for so long is because these people stopped talking to me and so things could never possibly work out.  I don't see it as a case of me being played but people being played never do.  Could it have been someone else.  Yes I suppose you are right but Diane's sister knew her pretty well.

This all happened in the mid 70's when the first thing that came out of a woman's mouth when you met here was:

'What do you do?'

At the time I was essentially broke and while I may have been a sweet physical type I was not attractive from a financial point of view.  At that time anyway, fortunately this is not true anymore.  I really did not figure out some women found me attractive until middle age when I was then comfortable enough with my own self-esteem; comfortable in my own skin, to see myself that way. 

Women still wait for the first move from you even if they find you attractive so if you don't think you are attractive to women yourself you may never know you are.  That was where I was for years.  Complements in one ear and right out the other.

Mrs. Dog has always gone on about how good looking I am but for decades I thought she was an exception to the rule.  She also made big points by asking what I wanted to do when I met her and not the standard old tiresome 70's turnoff, 'What do you do?'

We have talked about this and Mrs. Dog said it was because she pegged me for a diamond in the rough right away and that all the other women who passed me by were fools for not having the patience to let things all work out over time and recognize my potential.

The sperm donor would have been a rock musician.  Diane had a thing for rock musicians and had recently broken up with one she had been seeing on and off for a long time.

That could be it. Rock musicians have been known to use their special status to get laid, and the more famous they are, the more callous they are.

Ever see Empire Records? One of my kids' favorite movies.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0p1BatgXE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0p1BatgXE&fs=1</a>

Mrs. Dog said it was because she pegged me for a diamond in the rough right away and that all the other women who passed me by were fools for not having the patience to let things all work out over time and recognize my potential.

Mrs. Eddie....same story, my brother.

Generally, when it comes to good marriages, it's because the woman had that.....whatever it is ---instinct? Good sense? Toilet training? I'm not sure, but somehow women are very gifted that way, and I'm glad. When I was young, I'm not sure I was a diamond, but I was damn sure in the rough. I knew zilch about women then, and had poor self-esteem from my upbringing as a poor kid from out in the sticks. I was so needy most women could read me from across the room and leave before I even said hello. But Mrs. Eddie saw something in me nobody else did.

Seems we both may have been rough in the same way. 

I have been thinking about what you think about the Diane situation and I think you may be right. 

We had our date on a Friday and she told me we could not see each other that weekend; that she would be visiting her mother.  It was odd she showed excitement when she told me because her mother was in the same town as it turned out.  I had asked where she was because Diane had made it sound like a big trip was involved.  I found that odd.

The weekend passed and Monday came.  I knew Diane from commuting on a passenger ferry from Bainbridge Island.  Forty five minutes every morning.  I was taking classes at the University of Washington.  I was excited to see her Monday but she took an earlier ferry. Same thing happened Tuesday.  Wednesday I saw her and she acted odd.  It was not the same woman I had left early Saturday morning.  After that strangeness she avoided me altogether.

The timing of events fits your explanation best, the timeline was too quick to fit her lies with the same certainty.  Your scenario has been suggested to me before but I always dismissed it previously because Diane had her own place and her own job.  There was no reason for made up drama, Diane was an independent woman.  So why the lies and the drama.  That part I canít figure.  Yet it happened.
We
I think you are right Eddie but the question is why?

She could have just made a Doctors appointment and taken care of her Larry problem.

The best explanation for this is that the guy who knocked her up was somebody she felt she really had to protect by providing a believable alternative story.

She must have felt she couldn't keep the pregnancy secret from everyone. She needed somebody...her mother, one of her friends, somebody, to help her get through the ordeal of an abortion. An abortion, especially way back then, was a very big deal. She might have needed money to pay for it from her parents. Or maybe she just needed emotional support. If she could have kept it secret from everyone and just gone to the clinic and had the procedure, it would not have been necessary to set you up. I agree with that.

I could be wrong, but it's fairly classic behavior, especially if she was religious and filled with guilt and shame over her predicament. What if the father of her unborn was not a rock star? What if he was a teacher, a minister, or a close family friend?

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

I believe in my heart that you were used by her. What you just said about the immediate change of her behavior and avoiding you the very next day or two tends to provide confirmation of that. Ordinarily, it would have been days or weeks before she even suspected she might be pregnant...so why avoid you?

If she was dating guys in bands at that time, we can assume she was sexually active with other men, at her age. She wasn't a child. If she didn't like sex with you, she could have just said so. None of it quite makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:11:24 PM by K-Dog »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

In this Nov. 27, 2017 photo, Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., speaks to the media on Capitol Hill in Washington. Franken is denying an accusation by a former Democratic congressional aide that he tried to forcibly kiss her after a taping of his radio show in 2006.

The Latest on Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., and the allegations of sexual misconduct against him (all times local):

12:35 p.m.

Minnesota Republicans are reaching out to former Gov. Tim Pawlenty about running in a race to replace Sen. Al Franken.

Franken says he is resigning after accusations by several women of sexual misconduct. That sets up a November 2018 election to serve the final two years of his term.

Republicans have also identified former Sen. Norm Coleman as a possible candidate.

Coleman has already posted on his personal Facebook page that he won't run. He narrowly lost to Franken in 2008 in a close election that included a monthslong vote count.

Pawlenty ran for president in 2012.

___

12:30 p.m.

Sen. Al Franken says he's been an advocate for women. That's even as he resigns amid a torrent of sexual misconduct accusations.

The Minnesota Democrat says he's used his position "to be a champion of women." He says despite the allegations, "I know who I really am."

He says, "Even on the worst day of my political life, I feel like it's all been worth it."

Franken is serving his ninth year as senator. He says he'll resign in the coming weeks.

___

12:15 p.m.

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton says he hasn't decided on a replacement for Al Franken.

Franken says he'll step down in the coming weeks. He's facing allegations of sexual misconduct from several women.

The Democratic governor says he expects to make and announce his decision in the next couple of days. Whomever he names will serve until a special the election in November to complete the remainder of Franken's term through 2020.

___

12:10 p.m.

Democratic senators, staff and family members were somber yet emotional as they watched Minnesota Sen. Al Franken say he would resign.

Franken's family members sat in the Senate gallery, some of them crying. Staff lined up in the back of the chamber, stone faced. And around 18 Democratic senators quietly listened to his speech on the floor. Republican Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona was also there.

Democrats who sat and listened to Franken's speech included Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York, Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar and New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, the first to call Wednesday for Franken to resign.

Franken was facing multiple sexual misconduct allegations. After his 11 minute speech, Democrats lined up to hug him.

___

12:05 p.m.

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken says he'll resign in the coming weeks. He's repeatedly apologized as several women accused him of sexually inappropriate behavior, and as his support from fellow Democrats evaporated.

The Minnesota lawmaker took to the Senate floor to say, "I may be resigning my seat, but I am not giving up my voice." He says he'll addressing issues as an activist.

Franken says he can't go through a Senate Ethics Committee investigation and effectively represent his state at the same time.

In remarks that lasted 11 minutes, he said that, thanks to his family, "I'm going to be just fine."

He says some charges against him are untrue and that he remembers other differently than his accusers do. But he says women "deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously."

___

11:45 a.m.

Minnesota Sen. Al Franken is resigning amid multiple sexual misconduct allegations.

Once a rising star in the Democratic Party, Franken made the announcement in a speech Thursday on the Senate floor.

The two-term lawmaker has repeatedly apologized as several women stepped forward to accuse him of sexually inappropriate behavior, from groping to forcibly trying to kiss them.

But a fresh allegation on Wednesday unleashed a torrent of Democratic demands that Franken step aside. Female senators led the chorus.

Franken is an actor who appeared on "Saturday Night Live" and an author who narrowly won his Senate seat in 2008 after a prolonged vote count. He has been a fierce opponent of the Trump administration.

His political fall has been swift by congressional standards. The first allegation surfaced on Nov. 16.

___

11:35 a.m.

Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine is asking about the number of sexual harassment claims filed against senators and staffers, along with the amount of money spent on settlement of harassment cases.

Kaine writes in a letter to the Senate Office of Compliance that he will publicly release any information he receives to promote greater awareness of the problem and develop solutions.

The Virginia senator's letter comes as Democrat Al Franken of Minnesota is under pressure to resign from the Senate amid allegations of sexual misconduct.

The House has revealed it paid $84,000 in taxpayer money to settle a sexual harassment complaint against Texas Republican congressman Blake Farenthold. Settlements by senators, if any, have not been made public.

Kaine says sexual misconduct continues to be a barrier against gender equality.

___

9:29 a.m.

Sen. Al Franken will say whether he is resigning in a speech on the Senate floor at 11:45 a.m.

Franken is under intense pressure to step down as allegations of sexual misconduct have mounted, with at least eight women accusing him of acting inappropriately.

The Minnesota senator's support among fellow Democrats crumbled on Wednesday after a woman accused Franken of trying to forcibly kiss her in 2006. Hours later another woman said Franken inappropriately squeezed "a handful of flesh" on her waist while posing for a photo with her in 2009.

A tweet on Franken's Twitter account Wednesday evening said Franken was talking with his family, and any report of a final decision his future was inaccurate.

___

3:57 a.m.

Minnesota Democrat Al Franken, facing fresh allegations of sexual misconduct and vanishing support from fellow Democrats, appears to be on the brink of resigning from the Senate.

Franken scheduled an announcement for Thursday, though his office tweeted Wednesday evening that he had not made "a final decision" on resigning.

But a majority of the Senate's Democrats called on the two-term lawmaker to quit after a woman emerged Wednesday morning saying he forcibly tried to kiss her in 2006. Hours later, another woman said Franken inappropriately squeezed "a handful of flesh" on her waist while posing for a photo with her in 2009.

That brought the number of women alleging misconduct by Franken to at least eight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-franken-whether-step-down-143007238--politics.html

I think we're ready for a new reality TV show...kind of a remake of the Odd Couple....with Al Franken and Garrison Keillor as two affable old men living in a barn in Lake Wobegon, living lives of Norwegian bachelor farmers after being spurned by all the PC liberal women in America.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:11:03 PM by K-Dog »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »
 Facing a string of sexual misconduct allegations and mounting pressure from fellow Democrats, Sen. Al Franken announced Thursday he will leave office in the coming weeks. But Franken, a former comedian, didn't go down without taking some scathing parting shots at President Donald Trump and Republicans who have been accused of similar actions.

"I, of all people, am aware that there is some irony that I am leaving while a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has preyed on underage girls is running for the Senate with the full support of his party," Franken, D-Minn., said in emotional speech on the Senate floor.

He was referring to Trump, who has also been accused of sexual misconduct, and Roy Moore, the Republican candidate for Senate in Alabama, who has faced allegations of sexual misconduct with teenage girls. Trump and Moore have both denied the claims.

"Today, I am announcing that in the coming weeks, I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate," Franken said, the day after Democratic women led the charge of 35 Democratic senators who called on their embattled colleague to step down. It was also days after Rep. John Conyers, a Michigan Democrat who was also accused of sexual misconduct, resigned under pressure.

In his speech, Franken, a former "Saturday Night Live" comic who made an improbable journey to become a leading liberal voice in the Senate, denied "some" of the allegations against him while saying he remembered others "very differently."

Franken argued that he had "earned a reputation as someone who respects the women I work alongside every day," but that a "very different picture of me" had emerged over the last few weeks.

He explained that as women came forward recently with allegations against men in Hollywood and in the media, he "felt we had entered an important moment in the history of this country" and "were finally beginning to listen to women about the ways in which men's actions affected them."

But when "the conversation turned to" him suddenly, Franken said he was "shocked" and "upset."

Franken, a two-term senator, said that, in responding to the accusations against him, he "wanted to be respectful of that broader conversation, because all women deserve to be heard and their experiences taken seriously."

"I think that was the right thing to do. I also think it gave some people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things that, in fact, I haven't done," he added.

A spokesman for Franken said the senator had not yet determined when his last day would be.

As Franken spoke, many of the Democratic women in the Senate who said Wednesday that it was time for the lawmaker to go ó including Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Claire McCaskill of Missouri and Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin ó looked on, appearing visibly upset.

Just a day earlier, it was Gillibrand's Facebook post that set off a cascade of calls for Franken's resignation, first by her female colleagues, and later, by senators, male and female, across both parties.

Leeann Tweeden, a Los Angeles radio news anchor, was the first woman to come forward with accusations against him. Last month, she claimed that during a 2006 USO tour Franken ó who was not yet elected to the Senate ó forcibly kissed her while they rehearsed a skit together and later groped her on a plane. An alarming photograph backed up her accusation.

After Tweeden told her story, several more women come forward to allege that Franken had groped them in public settings, prompting Franken to issue an apology as well as support a Senate Ethics Committee inquiry into his behavior.

"Iíve learned from recent stories that in some of those encounters, I crossed a line for some women ó and I know that any number is too many. Some women have found my greetings or embraces for a hug or photo inappropriate, and I respect their feelings about that," he said at the time.

But a Politico report Wednesday morning was the beginning of the end for Franken's colleagues. In it, a former congressional aide to the senator said he tried to forcibly kiss her in 2006, saying, "It's my right as an entertainer." Franken denied the account, which has not been verified by NBC News, but by the end of the day, dozens of senators, including Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, had issued statements calling for his ouster.

Minnesota's governor, Mark Dayton, a Democrat, has the power to appoint Franken's replacement, who would serve until the next statewide general election in November 2018. Dayton said Thursday that he will announce his decision on who will replace Franken in the Senate "in the next couple of days."
From parodies to politics

Franken was elected to the Senate in 2008 in one of the closest elections in the history of the chamber, one that triggered a recount and was eventually decided by the Minnesota Supreme Court. He won by 312 votes.

He was re-elected to the Senate in 2014, winning 53 percent of the vote.

"It's the story of a Midwestern Jewish boy of humble roots (the first in his family to own a pasta maker) who, after a thirty-five-year career in comedy, moved back home to challenge an incumbent senator," Franken wrote in his 2017 political memoir "Al Franken, Giant of the Senate."

"Itís the story of how, after spending a lifetime learning to be funny, I learned how not to be funny.Ē

Before entering the Senate, he hosted "The Al Franken Show" on Air America, the now-defunct liberal talk-radio network, from 2004 until 2007, when he announced he would run for office.

His career began as one of the early stars of "Saturday Night Live" in 1975.

Franken was born in New York City in 1951 but grew up in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, after his parents relocated there when he was 4. Franken began performing stand-up routines in Minneapolis clubs while he was in high school.

He graduated from Harvard in 1973, where he met his wife, Franni, with whom he has two kids. After Franken graduated, he signed on with SNL.

The first sketch he helped write lampooned President Gerald Ford, suggesting a new campaign slogan: "If he's so dumb, why is he President?"

Al Franken, left, performs on "Saturday Night Live" in 1977.

He is perhaps best known for his SNL character Stuart Smalley, a satirical parody of a self-help guru who hosted "Daily Affirmation With Stuart Smalley," which later became the subject of a film.

Smalley was best known for his catchphrase: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."

Franken told The New York Times Magazine that the character emerged after Franken went through a 12-step program with his wife during her battle with alcoholism.

"I was trying to explain recovery through a character," Franken told the magazine. "He is a character that, at first blush, looks like kind of an idiot, but actually a lot of the stuff he's trying to talk about is true."

Franken left SNL in 1995 after being passed over for the Weekend Update anchor slot, which was given to Norm Macdonald.

His comedy ambitions began in the second grade. He told People Magazine in a 1992 profile that he wrote what amounted to his first comedy sketch after he watched the girls in his second-grade class perform an "insipid" version of "Iím a Little Teapot."

His political interests developed at that time, too.

He watched the 1960 conventions with his dad, Joe, who was a salesman and supported the Republican presidential candidate, Richard Nixon, he told People. Phoebe, his mother, who was a real estate agent, supported the Democrat, John F. Kennedy. At that young age, he told People, he sided with his father, but eventually sided with Democrats.

Franken's political profile only grew after Trump's election.

He sat on three Senate committees, including the powerful Judiciary Committee that is investigating allegations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election, which helped elevate his profile among progressives by grilling Trump's nominees and castigating the president.

He called Trump's inauguration "perhaps the most depressing moment I've had since I entered politics, though that record has been repeatedly surpassed since Jan. 20," according to Rolling Stone.

He sparred with Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, with his interactions often drawing praise from progressives and ire from conservatives ó and occasionally going viral on social media.

"I had a career in identifying absurdity, and I know it when I see it and it makes me question your judgment," he told Neil Gorsuch, the president's Supreme Court pick, during his confirmation hearing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/al-franken-satirist-turned-senator-resign-amid-sexual-misconduct-allegations-n825576
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:10:40 PM by K-Dog »
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 04:55:04 PM »
I think we're ready for a new reality TV show...kind of a remake of the Odd Couple....with Al Franken and Garrison Keillor as two affable old men living in a barn in Lake Wobegon, living lives of Norwegian bachelor farmers after being spurned by all the PC liberal women in America.

As long as AF is not wearing Diapers, I am OK with that.

RE
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:09:58 PM by K-Dog »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN