AuthorTopic: Cam Makes Some Snap Worthy Casserole  (Read 324 times)

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Cam Makes Some Snap Worthy Casserole
« on: February 20, 2020, 05:50:02 PM »
So I've been reading up and acting on food prep and storage advice, and today I threw together some cheap ingredients to make a stew that turned into a casserole when I added pasta.
Boy did it turn out well.

3 cans of condensed mushroom soup as a base ($0.50 each on sale)
2 cans of sliced mushrooms ($1 each)
1 green pepper ($0.87)
2 onions ($0.15 estimate)
3 carrots ($0.30 estimate)
2 cans of tuna ($1.28 each)
Half bag of pasta ($1.50 for 900g, I know I can get cheaper but wanted some for today)

So around $8.88 for the whole pot, and I am guessing I'll get around 8 servings or so. At around $1.11 per serving I am pretty proud of myself. And it tastes great. Check out the photo and try not to drool too much.

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-0/p280x280/86874645_233669440992466_1792915809744453632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=VJoJD6YjO9MAX9-tCFT&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=b3bb21c43597bdb5714f89d1228001e9&oe=5EB7BFE7

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Makes Some Snap Worthy Casserole
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
Nice.

Miso hungry.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:06:39 PM »
So I've been reading up and acting on food prep and storage advice, and today I threw together some cheap ingredients to make a stew that turned into a casserole when I added pasta.

1 green pepper ($0.87)
Half bag of pasta ($1.50 for 900g, I know I can get cheaper but wanted some for today)

So around $8.88 for the whole pot, and I am guessing I'll get around 8 servings or so. At around $1.11 per serving I am pretty proud of myself. And it tastes great. Check out the photo and try not to drool too much.

https://scontent.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-0/p280x280/86874645_233669440992466_1792915809744453632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ohc=VJoJD6YjO9MAX9-tCFT&_nc_ht=scontent.fybz2-2.fna&_nc_tp=6&oh=b3bb21c43597bdb5714f89d1228001e9&oe=5EB7BFE7

LOOKS GREAT! :icon_sunny:

I have a brunch I am getting ready for tomorrow.  Moving off the Asian stuff for a day and this time going the "Full New York Jew". lol.

I STILL have Bento Box stuff also though frozen in the Last Great Frontier outdoor freezer though, which will come eventually.  But I also gotta get ready for the big trip to Seattle next week, so not sure when I will publish it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 07:22:39 PM »
Nice.

Miso hungry.

I think some miso soup may be in the mix next. Stay tuned.

LOOKS GREAT! :icon_sunny:

I have a brunch I am getting ready for tomorrow.  Moving off the Asian stuff for a day and this time going the "Full New York Jew". lol.

I STILL have Bento Box stuff also though frozen in the Last Great Frontier outdoor freezer though, which will come eventually.  But I also gotta get ready for the big trip to Seattle next week, so not sure when I will publish it.

RE

Glad it is RE approved. Looking forward to the updates. Have fun in Seattle!

Online Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 05:31:32 AM »

1 green pepper ($0.87)

very nice Cam! Remember to keep the fat and protein levels up it's going to be a long road ahead. I've added fat with olive oil before and substituted one can of tuna with chickpeas or lentils cooked from dry for pennies...
These days my new partner is paleo/primal so we are working out a diet for all of us. I tend to be higher protein lesser carbs myself with lots of veggies already so we fit pretty well.  I dont agree with all of money mustache guys food choices but his philosophy of food is very good https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/05/15/a-day-in-the-life-of-my-supposedly-frugal-stomach/
Remember what you eat plays a critical role in everything you will accomplish so treat it seriously. Experiment, have fun with it and dont listen to too many experts myself included!
Cheers   NF

If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 07:41:33 AM »

1 green pepper ($0.87)

very nice Cam! Remember to keep the fat and protein levels up it's going to be a long road ahead. I've added fat with olive oil before and substituted one can of tuna with chickpeas or lentils cooked from dry for pennies...
These days my new partner is paleo/primal so we are working out a diet for all of us. I tend to be higher protein lesser carbs myself with lots of veggies already so we fit pretty well.  I dont agree with all of money mustache guys food choices but his philosophy of food is very good https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2018/05/15/a-day-in-the-life-of-my-supposedly-frugal-stomach/
Remember what you eat plays a critical role in everything you will accomplish so treat it seriously. Experiment, have fun with it and dont listen to too many experts myself included!
Cheers   NF

I do have to remember the fat too. I love me some olive oil and we always get a bunch when it goes on good sales. The chickpea/bean substitutions are a great idea too. Very cheap and they store for a long time.

I love Mr Money Mustache. He was one of the guys I read a lot before I learned about collapse. I agree with him on how fats should not be demonized as they currently are, and that fasting once in a while is actually pretty darn good for you. And the whole eating 'real' food thing is something I do too.

As for taking it seriously, most of the time I sure do. Some days when I don't sleep well the night before, I eat WAY more sugar and processed crap than I usually do. That ends up being a cycle of tired --> eat sugary crap --> feel temporarily better than worse --> eat more sugary crap. I'm getting better at stopping myself from immediately trying to squash feelings of tiredness or feeling 'off'. It probably helps that I'm not a coffee drinker either. If I mess up my sleep schedule then I want to feel the full effect of it so I know not to do it again. Keep your eye out for some gorgeous recipe photos featuring beans and chickpeas.

Online Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »

1 green pepper ($0.87)

Cheers   NF

I do have to remember the fat too. I love me some olive oil and we always get a bunch when it goes on good sales. The chickpea/bean substitutions are a great idea too. Very cheap and they store for a long time.

I love Mr Money Mustache. He was one of the guys I read a lot before I learned about collapse. I agree with him on how fats should not be demonized as they currently are, and that fasting once in a while is actually pretty darn good for you. And the whole eating 'real' food thing is something I do too.

As for taking it seriously, most of the time I sure do. Some days when I don't sleep well the night before, I eat WAY more sugar and processed crap than I usually do. That ends up being a cycle of tired --> eat sugary crap --> feel temporarily better than worse --> eat more sugary crap. I'm getting better at stopping myself from immediately trying to squash feelings of tiredness or feeling 'off'. It probably helps that I'm not a coffee drinker either. If I mess up my sleep schedule then I want to feel the full effect of it so I know not to do it again. Keep your eye out for some gorgeous recipe photos featuring beans and chickpeas.
yup too much sugar and I'm a mess. Mood swings, lethargy, I would say mild depression and messed up sleep patterns. Even the cola with dinner messed up my sleep. If I make some more hummus I'll post but I did enough in the instant pot for at least 3 batches of hummus so next month maybe. Doom pinterest! Ha! Love it. Stay irreverant
Cheers   NF
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »
That voice....

The one that says to you "Hey, you missed that off ramp", or... I thought you were on a diet", as your carving up another slice of cake,
has been whispering to me to make salmon casserole.

Any diners here have the 411 on a smokin' snappy recipe.

Just for shits & giggles, I was going to buy ALL of my ingrediants at the 0.99 only store here in my lil' town. Yes, including the can of salmon.
(I may need 2 or 3 cans though)

(side note)

I just love it when I go to this store & see Rolls Royce, MB, & the like in the parking lot  :icon_scratch:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »
That voice....

The one that says to you "Hey, you missed that off ramp", or... I thought you were on a diet", as your carving up another slice of cake,

Just for shits & giggles, I was going to buy ALL of my ingrediants at the 0.99 only store here in my lil' town. Yes, including the can of salmon.

(side note)

I just love it when I go to this store & see Rolls Royce, MB, & the like in the parking lot  :icon_scratch:

AZ!  Where U been?

Canned Salmon is OK, but it's better if you catch it and smoke it yourself.

Here's a good recipe I have used with canned salmon.

Ingredients

2 cups elbow macaroni
    1 14.75 oz. can salmon, drained and bones and skin removed
    1 10.5 oz. can cream of celery soup
    1 5 oz. can evaporated milk
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 Tablespoons butter melted
    1 cup of your favorite crackers crushed

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cook macaroni per box instructions; drain.
    Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or (2) 2-quart baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix together cooked macaroni, salmon, soup, milk and cheese. Break up salmon into chunks as you stir.
    Pour into baking dish(es). Mix together melted butter and crackers; sprinkle on top of casserole.
    Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly brown and warmed through.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 03:04:25 PM »
That voice....

(side note)

AZ!  Where U been?

Canned Salmon is OK, but it's better if you catch it and smoke it yourself.

Here's a good recipe I have used with canned salmon.

Ingredients

2 cups elbow macaroni
    1 14.75 oz. can salmon, drained and bones and skin removed
    1 10.5 oz. can cream of celery soup
    1 5 oz. can evaporated milk
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    2 Tablespoons butter melted
    1 cup of your favorite crackers crushed

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cook macaroni per box instructions; drain.
    Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish or (2) 2-quart baking dishes with nonstick cooking spray.

Mix together cooked macaroni, salmon, soup, milk and cheese. Break up salmon into chunks as you stir.
    Pour into baking dish(es). Mix together melted butter and crackers; sprinkle on top of casserole.
    Bake for 45 minutes or until lightly brown and warmed through.

Vdub bus rehab.....
I've got the body scars to prove. Jammed the meaty part of my left palm into a slide hammer in mid swing, fkn ouch.
Had to work hurt. Just luv that shit. Hand all bandaged up with gauze & duct tape  :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway it's raining today, my partner is out truckin' & the rehab is closed until he gets back tonight.
Tomorrow is another day. Hopefully popcorn fart dry & My friend will be back tonight for 1 day home. Poor guy.....

Any way, thanks for the recipe. I'll be on that like orange hair dye to 45's scalp !
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 06:05:22 PM »
yup too much sugar and I'm a mess. Mood swings, lethargy, I would say mild depression and messed up sleep patterns. Even the cola with dinner messed up my sleep. If I make some more hummus I'll post but I did enough in the instant pot for at least 3 batches of hummus so next month maybe. Doom pinterest! Ha! Love it. Stay irreverant
Cheers   NF

I gotta try out my family's instant pot some more. My mom loves it.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 06:16:16 PM »
Cheers   NF

I have several recipes up on the Cooking Zone for the Instapot.   :icon_sunny:

Since St. Paddy's Day is coming up, here's the Corned Beef & Cabbage one.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PJFKSwfiFdk?list=PLwZcL5fTVOw7E2Th3-edLyyhL0_YuGImG" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PJFKSwfiFdk?list=PLwZcL5fTVOw7E2Th3-edLyyhL0_YuGImG</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 05:44:20 AM »
Cheers   NF

Adventurer daughter (the one who lives with us) got one for Christmas. It's very nice addition to the kitchen.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.