PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Doomstead Diner Menu

Poll

How do you like your eggs best?

Scrambled
4 (36.4%)
Sunny Side Up
0 (0%)
Over Easy
4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 66655 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 8/22/2018
« Reply #1020 on: August 22, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
Predictably, Breakfast this morning here in the RE Digs is Steak & Eggs, more precisely Steak Benedict with Poached Eggs and Hollandaise Sauce.  This is THE "fancy & expensive" breakfast you have while out on vacation, although usually with Pig as the breakfast meat rather than Cow in the form of Canadian Bacon which is more like Ham than Bacon and comes in nice little round slices that fit perfectly on an English Muffin.  Like Eddie I prefer Pig as my Breakfast Meat in general, the favorite used to be Bacon but in the years since I lost most of my teeth and eating crunchy foods became difficult I switched over to breakfast sausages as my usual breakfast meat.  Steak is the choice today because I am positively snowed under with Steak from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure trip meal plan.  I will say that at least my steak is less over-cooked than the steak in the photo below appears to be for this breakfast.  On the other hand, my Poached Eggs aren't quite as perfectly round as the ones in the photo and I am using Hollandaise Sauce from a jar, not freshly made.  I was looking forward to having some of Eddie's freshly made Hollandaise Sauce on the LGABLA, he has bragged about that occassionally here on the Diner.  I also looked forward to perhaps having it with some freshly steamed Asparagus, my favorite vegetable which I specifically did NOT plan to prepare to leave it for Eddie to make.  Of course, along with all the other planned meals, no Asparagus of any kind kind got cooked by either one of us on the LGABLA.

Eggs Benedict were a regular feature of Sunday Morning Breakfast while I was married, in between my shifts at the hospital when I would come home from Manhattan on Metro North and the wife would make this dish as the celebratory Breakfast Meal for surviving another week slaving away as low paid Gymnastics Coaches in Industrial Culture.  This was the replacement breakfast for the celebratory Sunday Morning Breakfast I would buy shopping on the Lower East Side of NY Shity at the Jewish Delis and Bakeries for Bagels & Lox, Smoked Whitefish and Chicken Liver Pate.  In retrospect, I will tell you the Jewish Breakfast was the preferable one, it came with less bullshit than the Eggs Benedict came with from the ex-wife.  Her Poached Eggs were even less round and well formed than my own poached eggs also.  This is a real art form and does take some practice, which I don't get anymore and thus the reason for the sloppy poached eggs this morning, although they eat just as good as perfectly formed ones do.

Tomorrow, I HAVE to get off the Steak bandwagon for breakfast, I am getting sick of it already despite the fact it is Fillet Mignon and Prime Grade to boot there.  I think I will just have a couple of Hard Boiled Eggs trucker style, with a hunk of Swiss or Cheddar Cheese, a hunk of Dry Italian Salami and a cold Baked Potato on the side.  I also brought something similar to this along as a Breakfast Meal, although Jazzed Up some with Deviled Eggs rather than just straight Hard Boiled Eggs straight out of the shell.  I don't think anybody but me ate these eggs either on the LGABLA.  A TOTAL FAILURE of a cooking trip, on all levels!  ::)  Next time I come up with another Hare-Brained scheme like taking an Alaskan Camping Vacation with another Diner and his wife, I hope some other Diner wil drop in and talk me out of the idea.  This ranks right up there with falling asleep in an RV bathroom as a great way to spend your vacation time.

For next week's Breakfasts, I think I will go Online and order overpriced Smoked Whitefish ($30/lb online!  :o) and Chicken Liver Pate to have for a Celebratory Sunday Breakfast for staying another week above ground as a Useless Eater here in the land of Good & Plenty.  I would rather reflect on my time living that life than the time I spent married.  What a horrible existence.

RE

Steak Benedict
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #1021 on: August 22, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I'll have to say I'm disappointed at your disappointment, as far as the visit goes. I was hoping it'd be an easy way for you to enjoy getting out of the house for a little while. Maybe it was just too much to put you through, at this stage of the game.

The cooking fantasy was all yours, and I tried to play along as best I could. I'm no sous chef, and you're not able to do what you used to be able to do. I do think you probably ate better while we were there than you usually do, just based on how thin you've gotten.

I flew 4000 miles to pay you a visit, and I did my best to make the visit fun for all concerned, including you. You did a good job on planning the trip, and we saw some amazing country. I'm sorry it wasn't more enjoyable, but your days of enjoying travel of any kind would appear to be over, as far as I can tell. Just being realistic.

Thanks for having us, and thanks for hanging in there for what must have been a very uncomfortable few days for you. You seem to see a half-empty glass where I was hoping you'd see it half-full. It is what it is, and I understand how you feel. It sucks being sick, and you're a fairly sick man. I wish I could change that for you, but I can't.

(No items to show)

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 22, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
I'll have to say I'm disappointed at your disappointment, as far as the visit goes. I was hoping it'd be an easy way for you to enjoy getting out of the house for a little while. Maybe it was just too much to put you through, at this stage of the game.

The cooking fantasy was all yours, and I tried to play along as best I could. I'm no sous chef, and you're not able to do what you used to be able to do. I do think you probably ate better while we were there than you usually do, just based on how thin you've gotten.

I flew 4000 miles to pay you a visit, and I did my best to make the visit fun for all concerned, including you. You did a good job on planning the trip, and we saw some amazing country. I'm sorry it wasn't more enjoyable, but your days of enjoying travel of any kind would appear to be over, as far as I can tell. Just being realistic.

Thanks for having us, and thanks for hanging in there for what must have been a very uncomfortable few days for you. You seem to see a half-empty glass where I was hoping you'd see it half-full. It is what it is, and I understand how you feel. It sucks being sick, and you're a fairly sick man. I wish I could change that for you, but I can't.

(No items to show)

It wasn't "too much to put me through", just this was the WRONG way to do it, which I may elaborate on at a later date, I am still pondering on that one.  If I do write on it, it will only be for your eyes anyhow, not Public Consumption.

I am glad you had the opportunity to come here and see a bit of the Last Great Frontier.  Now we can both just be relieved the whole stupid trip is over and we can return to our normal lives.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍜 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/22/2018
« Reply #1023 on: August 22, 2018, 04:33:38 PM »
I am taking the rest of the day off from the constant consumption of STEAK to eat for lunch another meal I failed to cook on the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup.

The soup I am having today is vastly simplified from the soup I had plans to make on the trip  I have dried exotic Mushrooms I was going to reconstitute and add to the soup, instead I am just adding the remainder of some Baby Portabella Mushrooms I bought to accompany the STEAK, before they go bad.  I don't need to waste exotic mushrooms on just myself for lunch.  I am also not adding the scallop pieces or cream to this soup to make it into a Fish Chowder, then it will go bad faster.  Just plain I may get 3 or 4 bowls or cups out of it as a part of the Daily Lunch.  The Scallops I prepared as just plain Scallops Batayaki, which is the Japanese version of a Scampi style appetizer, cooked in Garlic & Butter.  This will stay good for several days and I may actually finish it before I have to throw it out and get rid of the various types of vegetation that take root in old food in the fridge.  Of course it is a good deal more in Quantity than the usual Scallops Batayaki appetizer I get at Tokyo (my local Japanese/Asian restaurant which is OK, not great but you can't expect much in the way of great food in the Mat-Su Valley even before SHTF Day arrives), which runs maybe 1/4 lb of meat in the dish along with the butter and garlic sauce.  I have a little over a pound here in this dish awaiting consumption.  I am sure by Day 3 I will be tired of looking at it, much less shoveling bitefuls into my mouth.

I also am not adding any Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice to this soup, which I intended on doing with the soup on the LGABLA to fill it out and make it more like a Meal rather than just a soup.  Uncle Ben's recipe for Long Grain & Wild Rice is my favorite from childhood with its 11 herbs and spices mixed in, although it is a tad expensive for rice.  Still, adding it to this soup base which comes from Bear Creek and is one of my Prep Staples would have really made for a delicious and rich soup to share with Eddie and his wife.  Like all the rest of the great meals I had planned though, this one was not to be as well.

For tonight I will switch over to the Salmon for dinner, grilled without the plank on an outdoor electric BBQ which vastly simplifies the procedure of doing a grilling, even past the simplification of using Propane instead of Charcoal to grill on.  When I was a kid grilling on my little cast iron Hibachi I used to sneer at the Suburbanites who grilled over Propane on those bell shaped pot belly grills, but eventually I switched over to that myself because it is just a whole lot easier, you don't have all those ashes to clean up and get rid of after each grilling and the flame is a lot easier to control also.  You don't really sacrifice that much flavor either, when the fat from your steaks or chicken drips down onto the flame it burns up and makes exactly the same cocktail of carcinogenic chemicals it makes when the same fat drips down on a pile of charcoal.  Electric is no different and has the added advantage it is very EZ to turn into a "mini-smoker" for cooking up your outdoor gourmet meals.  You just take a pile of flavored wood chips (I am working through a bag of Hickory at the moment and have Apple chips waiting in the wings) and drop them in a Smoker Box (I have a nice one from Lodge Logic, the Cast Iron cooking utensil people and a local Amerikan company that drop forges these heirloom quality cooking devices here in the FSoA), set the temp on your electric grill on LOW and let it all smoke for an hour or two before serving it up (to yourself if you eat alone all the time like I do).  Once again, you can't really tell the difference between Salmon smoked this way or Salmon smoked in somebody's River Rock stone Smoker built by Granddad back in the Great Depression.

I will be able to eat maybe 1/4 of this Salmon Fillet tonight fresh off the grill and out from under the Hickory Smoke, the rest is going to make a Salmon Dip, which is the Salmon Analogue of making a Canned Tuna Fish sandwich filling for tuna Sandwiches.  You know for my entire childhood I didn't even know there was such a thing as Fresh Tuna, I thought it always came in a Can pre-cooked.  It's only in the last 20 years or so that Fresh Ahi Tuna has become ubiquitous and available at the fish counter as Japanese Sushi and Sashimi have become more popular here in the West.  Salmon dip is quite good on crackers while you watch Netflix, if you have teeth anyhow.  It also makes a very good Sandwich with some fresh Tomatoes and if you have time a little lightly grilled or sauteed Zucchini as well.  This meal also I will be sick of in 3 days.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy today's FRESHLY made Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup and look forward to tonight's grilled Hickory-Smoked Salmon fillet here at the outside Bistro area of the Doomstead Diner.  They never got on the Menu on the LGABLA for Eddie and the Missus to enjoy, but I get to get thoroughly sick of eating them here at the Headquarters DD digs instead of that.

RE

Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup

Hickory Smoked Salmon with Honey Glaze
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 8/23/2018
« Reply #1024 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:09 AM »
We are currently still on the "Steak Break" of leftover uncooked Gourmet Meals from the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure trip I took with Eddie and his wife over the last week, and this morning we will enjoy yet another different uncooked Gourmet Meal, this time Silver Salmon Fillet from the waters around Prince William Sound most likely.  The last week before we took off on this trip they were holding the annual Silver Salmon competion to see who would reel in the biggest Silver, which are not generally very huge fish and average around 11-12 lbs each.  which is not at all a bad size of course after filleting it and freezing it in an Oil Age vacuum seal bag to enjoy sometime over the winter  Nothing like a King Salmon though which you can reel in earlier in the summer and come in easily at 25 lbs and more each.  Get 10 or 20 of these (not hard) and you are STOCKED with Animal Protein for the winter here on the Last Great Frontier.

Anyhow, for breakfast this morning I just dropped 2 fried eggs over EZ onto a piece of the Salmon Fillet I smoked last night, with no other prep than that.  I left it out so it was at room temp when I dropped the eggs on top, they did the job of wrming up the fillet for consumption this morning, no Microwave although Nuking a smoked salmon fillet doesn't affect the taste much anyhow.  I prefer Cold Smoked Salmon to this sort of hot smoked salmon, but my smoking arrangementy currently does not allow me to do Cold Smoking, so no home prepped Lox yet from the Kitchen of RE while I eat my way toward the Great Beyond.  I may buy a first class Master Chef Smoker sometime this winter to do more creative smoking work than I can currently do.  If I am healthy enough, I may travel down to Kenai during Dipnetting season to smoke up a lot of fish and trade the smoked fish at about 1:4 ratio, which means I get 1 fish for every 4 I smoke for someone else.  If it is from my own quota, then it is usually a 2:1 ratio.  This is a great way for Cripples who can no longer get out in the water in some waders and net up their annual allotment of fish to get enough Animal Protein to make it through the Winter without having to buy more GMO Protein from the freezers at Safeway.

The rest of this fish is going to get smushed up after breakfast to make a Salmon Dip for the rest of the week, which I may in fact have as a part of Breakfast in the next couple of days also.  Then I will also have the Salmon Dip sandwich on a Kaiser Roll, and the Salmon Dip Salad for Lunch, after I have the leftover Fillet Mignon in another Sandwich or Salad from my failed cooking adventures over the last week with Eddie and his Missus.

Then after this is the Chicken Wings, which I did not actually have with me on the trip but I felt it necessary to buy yesterday anyhow to cook up in this case Teriyaki Wings to munch on for maybe a week or so before they go bad.

With luck, in about 2 weeks I should be completely out of the leftovers from the failed cooking adventures of my Vacation with Eddie and his Wife, and I can get back to eating stuff like Ramen Noodles and Peanut Butter sandwiches I don't care about.

RE

Salmon & Scrambled Eggs
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:09:45 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/23/2018
« Reply #1025 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:25 AM »
Guess what's for Lunch today?  STEAK!🥩  It's not just "What's for Dinner?" in the RE household anymore, it's for consumption for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, not to mention between meal snacks and midnite munchies. We eat Steak 🥩 24/7 at RE's place!  Not JUST average steak 🥩 either, Prime Grade Fillet Mignon 🥩!   I would also be feeding Fillet Mignon 🥩 to the dog if I owned a dog to work through this pile of beef 🥩 from the failed cooking adventures of the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  I am about halfway through the Filet Mignon 🥩, I haven't even started on the leftover Ribeye even though that was cooked up first.  Along with me, the rest of the Diners will be stuffed with leftover Steak at all meals for the forseeable future.

For today's incarnation of a STEAK 🥩 meal, I am having a Steak 🥩 Salad.  I don't think I have ever had a Steak 🥩 Salad before in my life.  I have had Chicken, Turkey and Ham on many Salads, but never before have I had Steak 🥩 on a Salad.  Chicken on a salad DEMANDS Caesar dressing, while with Turkey you can get away with Italian or Thousand Island and Ham you can pour on whatever is floating around the Kitchen cabinets.  Steak 🥩 though requires some thought, and in the end I had to go with Blue Cheese as the dressing for the first Steak 🥩 Salad of my life.  Mainly this was because I already HAD the Blue Cheese dressing, along with Blue Cheese crumbles to add to that which I did not crack open on the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure either.  I wanted my Salad Dressing on the LGABLA to be really thick and rich and memorable for Eddie and Mrs. Eddie, but I am the only one now who will ever remember this Salad Dressing.  This was a fortuitous choice though, because Blue Cheese is an excellent complement to Steak 🥩, I highly recomment this combination the next time you have a Steak 🥩 Salad.  When was the last time YOU had a Steak 🥩 Salad?

To fill out this Steak 🥩 Salad, I had Hothouse Tomatoes purchased for the LGABLA which never got cut up and I stopped at Fred Myer yesterday and picked up a small Avocado ON SALE for $1.50 to add to the mix as well.  I had ready for the Salad I was going to make On the LGABLA canned marinated Artichoke Hearts, Hearts of Palm and Water Chestnuts also which I added to this salad, making this leftover concoction so large there will be Leftovers of Leftovers here and I will be eating this one for dinner also tonight, along with more Steak 🥩 for the main dish and for desert also!  I will have a Steak 🥩Banana Split for desert tonight!  ::)

RE

Steak Salad
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 8/23/2018
« Reply #1026 on: August 23, 2018, 04:26:13 PM »
Guess what's for dinner tonight in the RE Digs?

No, it's not leftover Steak.  No, it's not leftover Salmon.  It's leftover Steak AND Salmon from the failed cooking adventures of the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure!  Leftover Surf & Turf!  Kill two birds with one stone!  Actually in this case a Cow and a Fish not a Bird and they were already dead before I prepared them yet again for another meal, but let us not dwell on the fine points here.  It is now Day 4 since Eddie dumped my crippled ass off at the digs on Monday and there is still no end in sight to the leftovers.  I think I will cut off the eating of LGABLA leftovers to Sunday and whatever is left at that point will go into the dumpster to feed the local bears who haunt it.  I never thought I could get to the point I hate eating Fillet Mignon, but I have now reached this point and blown right by it.

This reminds me of storiez I heard about the early Plymouth Colony in MA when it was settled by some religious zealot Christians who brought along Indentured Servants as slaves to try and plant some food in the rocky New England soil.  They weren't too successful with this and the local First Nations people had to save their asses over the winter, but one food which they did find which was fairly plentiful was LOBSTER!  In fact it was so plentiful that the Puritans fed the crustaceans to their slaves every day, so much so that these poor folks complained about having to eat Lobster every day!  To be fair, they probably didn't get Drawn Butter and Lemon with it, and Lobster really needs that touch to reach its peak of flavor, but still even plain lobster is pretty good!  Could I get as tired and fed up with eating Lobster after 4 days of leftovers like I am with the Prime Grade Fillet Mignon which went to waste on the LGABLA?  This is hard for me to imagine, but I suppose it is possible.

The most Lobster I ever ate in a day came at a Clam Bake on the Beach at Montauk, which is at the far end of Long Island in Billy Joel territory.  My sister's first husband (not a real great guy who she divorced after 3 years of an awful teenage marriage) liked to SCUBA dive, and he would go diving off the rocks at Montauk and come up with some positively HUGE lobsters in those years.  They probably averaged between 3-5 lbs each, as opposed to the 1.25-1.5 lbs lobster you get in the typical waterfront seafood restaurant along the coast of Maine.  Even these small lobsters take a few years to grow to eating size (around 7), a 5 lb lobster takes 25-30 years depending on the water temperature.  I don't think the type of SCUBA lobstering my BIL was doing was legal, but in those years there weren't any game wardens patrolling the beaches looking for fish & game violators on Long Island.

The lobster below is just a 3 lb one served up for 2 people at a NY Shity seafood restaurant, and is about the biggest lobster you can ever find on a restaurant menu anymore due to the over-fishing and sheer weight of Homo Sapiens biomass on the planet consuming these crustaceans before they get too old.  I will tell you that a 5 lb lobster doesn't taste a whole lot different than a 1.5 lb one and the texture is about the same also.  Just you get MUCH bigger bites of the meat from the claws and the tail, and actually on a really big lobster the meat in the little claws can be dug out and eaten also and is a worthwhile bite for the effort.

Anyhow, we probably had about 4 of these HUGE lobsters to bake in the sand along with a few smaller ones, along with some flounder he Spearfished out of the water and some carrots, potatoes and corn on the cob, mainly for the color since we were mostly interested in just eating FISH at this clambake.  I don't recall becoming fed up with eating lobster on this occassion, but if I had to eat this way every day for 4 days straight I might get a little tired of it and crave a slice of Pizza or a Hot Dog instead of a Lobster Claw drenched in drawn butter and soaked with the juice from a fresh Florida Lemon. I will let you know if this horrible fate ever befalls me before I take my final trip to the Great Beyond.

For today, our Surf & Turf is Salmon & Steak, which I consider fairly Low Class as Surf & Turf dinners go.  I expect Shellfish as the Surf part of such a dinner, either New England Atlantic Lobster or Pacific Alaska King Crab.  Vertebrate fish just doesn't cut it for me for a good Surf & Turf, even if it is top quality Alaska Silver Salmon that nobody ate on the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  Shrimp or Scallos would be better as far as I am concerned if the King Crab is not available for a Surf & Turf.  However, I gotta get rid of more of this food before I pitch the rest in the dumpster, after all there are millions of kids starving in Yemen and Bangladesh these days who would love this meal, deliciously flavored with some new Teriyaki sauce on the steak to change it up some and some Lemon-Pepper sauce on the Salmon.

Tomorrow I think I will throw all of it in a blender and make baby food out of it.

RE

Steak & Salmon Surf & Turf
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 8/24/2018
« Reply #1027 on: August 24, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »
You're not going to believe this.  :o I actually FINISHED the leftover Fillet Mignon from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure!  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EZKg-GYsvtg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EZKg-GYsvtg</a>

After finishing this package of beef which nobody else on the vacation was interested in eating during the trip, I can reveal to you new facts about Fillet Mignon I did not know before and perhaps you are also unaware of.

First off, it takes quite some time for a package of FM to go bad in the fridge even without freezing it.  This Fillet was hanging around over a week all together in the fridge or camping cooler before I got around to cooking it after I got home.  It tasted quite good, in fact it might have even been better than a Fillet straight out of the butcher's freezer and onto your plate, it was Aged a little extra which imparts some good flavor to the beef.

Also when you cook a good Fillet whether others are interested in eating it with you or not, when you first cook it up the Fillet practically falls apart on your fork it is so tender, and in my case I cooked this one medium rare since I had nobody to satisfy but myself.  I would have gone for straight rare or even raw, except for the fact it was sitting around so long and I was a little worried about bacteria that might be growing inside the hunk of meat.  Turns out this was not the case, I had no ill after-effects from consuming all 3 of these Restaurant Sized 12 oz or so Fillet Mignon slices over the last 5 days since I was dropped off at my doorstep followng the failed LGABLA.

Another thing about Fillet Mignon is that after cooking it while it is still fork tender right off the grill or out of the sautee pan or out from the Dutch Oven, by the second day in the fridge the cooked Fillet "set's up", the blood red color of medium rare in the center turns the pink of medium and the beef itself gets much firmer, no longer fork-tender you have to use a steak knife to cut off your slices as you eat it.  It's still good and very tender beef, more so than about any other cut, but it's definitely not as good as when you first pull a freshly cooked Fillet from your cooking apparatus, however it was that you prepared it.  I will in the future always attempt to eat my Fillet Mignon immediately after preparatioin and not wait around to eat it as leftovers, but in this case due to circumstances beyond my control  could do nothing about this problem, other than finally consume the meat when I got home.

Further Good Newz is that after finishing I have determined that at some point in the distant future assuming it is still available on the shelves at 3 Bears, I WILL be able to eat and enjoy Fillet Mignon again, this experience did NOT ruin it for me for good!  I just need to give it a rest for a couple of weeks and I think I can prep up and enjoy a meal with this stuff again.  There were some great looking Ultra-Mega-Super Size Jumbo Large Alaskan King Crab Legs in the freezer at 3 Bears, and I may invest even though one package of these legs is coming in @ $23/lb, around $70 for a package.  With some Prime Grade Fillet Mignon though, this shellfish will make a fabulous Surf & Turf it would cost $100 or more to duplicate at any decent Seafood Restaurant, and in this case $100 would likely get me 3 X-tra Large Size Surf & Turf meals over a couple of weeks on Friday Fish Night or Sunday Steak Night here on the Diner.  I did free up some space in my freezer, so I think I have room now for a few King Crab Legs, at least if I cut them up into some workable sections.  That does NOT hurt the flavor of King Crab BTW!  Cutting up into sections is a good idea because then you can take a section or two and add it to a bowl of Clam Chowder or Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup to make a much more delicious and filling meal with that ammendation.  Spread out this way, one package of Alaskan King Crab legs which costs me $70 will last several weeks through several different dishes, @ maybe $7 addition for each meal I add the Premium Shellfish Meat to.  This IS expensive and really outside the SNAP Card Budget in general, but for me in reality it is not a very big food expense and quite worthwhile, if I am actually EATING anything anyhow.  Right now, I am still eating, a good outcome from the otherwise failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.

To finish off the Fillet Mignon this morning, I had the scraps that were leftover as part of a Breakfast Scramble, a concoction I generally do not like but in this case was appropriate.  I had all the little pieces of FM that surround the center ultra-high quality protion which is lean with almost no fat but still very tender.  It does have a bit of fat on it which makes it a little tastier than the rest of the FM although not as Photogenic.  Now, TG, this particular package of FM is GONE, finished and the packaging is in the Dumpster and on its way to the Land of Away with my other leftover foods I  dispose of each day.

For Lunch today I think I will have a Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich.  Tonight I have to consume another piece of the Huge Salmon Fillet nobdy was interested in eating on the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  I did it up with a Lemon-Dill sauce, and it's not too bad either.  Should hold up another day before I take the remainder and make a Salmon Dip out of it.

RE

Fillet Mignon & Eggs Scramble
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:42:41 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 24, 2018, 05:34:35 AM »
My little brother has taken to aging steaks in the fridge for a month before he grills them. No rush, basically, on beef. It gets better, up to the point where it does really start to rot.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 24, 2018, 05:53:03 AM »
My little brother has taken to aging steaks in the fridge for a month before he grills them. No rush, basically, on beef. It gets better, up to the point where it does really start to rot.

I don't think I would go for a month unless I had it laying on a Cedar or Alder Plank or something like that.  2 weeks about as far as I would go just aging it in a package.

I am going to do up another Fillet on Cedar Plank when I get my appetite back for a fine steak again.  I have the plank sitting in one of my baskets from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Advinture ready to go for this purpose.  Haven't decided how to do up the King Crab for the Surf & Turf, other than I know I don't want to just steam it and drench in lemon and drawn butter.  Some kind of Crab Leg Bake in the Shell with Panko Crumbs and Scallops to fill it out and make it bigger might be a good choice.

RE
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 05:56:29 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥪 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/24/2018
« Reply #1030 on: August 24, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »
As promised, Lunch this afternoon here at the Diner Bistro for Cripples, we are putting On Special a PB & J Economy Meal instead of a Premium Fillet Mignon meal.  After 5 days of FM, I think this PB & J will actually taste better than the FMs, which though still bacteria-free had grown a bit wearying to keep eating.

To be truly authentic for me, a PB & J Sandwich has to fullfill certain criteria.

1-  It should be made with White Wonder Bread which builds strong bodies 12 ways and tastes like cardboard with the texture of foam rubber.

2-  The PB should be Skippy Industrially Processed and Homogenized PB that will last unrefrigerated into the next Century.  This despite the fact I have top quality Organic Peanut Butter in my pantry to smear on a PB & J Sandwich.  If I was really authentic I would buy the Crunchy style of PB which is what I liked as a kid, but today I can't eat Crunchy Nuts even swimming in a pool of PB.  So the Creamy version will have to do.

3-  The J should be Welch's Grape Jelly which is really just some kind of corn-sweetened pectin concoction not a real fruit preserve, but did a fine job of sweetening up my PB Sandwiches for consumption in the school cafeteria, usually with an 8 oz cardboard container of Homogenized Milk and a Banana for desert.  Sometimes mom would pack some Peanut M&Ms as a treat also.

What I discovered in shopping for the supplies for the PB & J is that Wonder Bread is no longer available on the shelves, at least not at 3 Bears.  I had to go with some local generic White Bread that looks a lot like Wonder Bread from outside the package.  The Skippy PB and Welch's J were available however.

RE

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 8/24/2018
« Reply #1031 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
Off the Fillet Mignon and onto the Fillet of Salmon!

For tonight, I cut off about 1/3rd of the hunk of fresh Silver Salmon Fillet I bought and am marnating it in Thai Peanut-Curry sauce for the grilling, which actually I will do more as a light warm smoking rather than straight grilling.  this is my latest in preferred methods to cook on the grill, imparting a lot more and different flavors than just a typical grilling, but not as overwhelming as a full on smoking.

The only thing about this particular recipe is that Thai Peanut-Curry Sauce is fucking HOT stuff, even hotter than the Cajun Spices I brought along on the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure!  I couldn't eat more than around 5 shrimp spiced up that way, it's hard to imagine how I will make it through a full Salmon Fillet spiced u with Thai Peanut & Curry sauce!  Before I get back into eaating Spicy Foods (which I do actually really enjoy), I gotta get used to eating more of just regular old bland food again!

I am hoping the cooking method I am using will bring down the total spiciness temperature in this dish, if not I will give it a little rinse off and then make a Salmon Dip out of it using less spicy stuff, like maybe some Lemon-Dill or Honey-Mustard

Tomorrow, I am going to be stuck with another Salmon Fillet for my Breakfast Meat, and probably some sort of Salmon Sadwich for lunch.  Hopefully, I can work through the leftover Salmon in 3 days rather than the 5 it took for me to consume the Fillet Mignon leftovers from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.

RE

RE

Thai Peanut-Curry Salmon Fillet
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥑 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 8/25/2018
« Reply #1032 on: August 25, 2018, 02:08:42 AM »
It's Fish Time again here at the Feed Lot for Crippled Useless Eaters at the Doomstead Diner!

I had to page around for a while to look for something I might actually enjoy rather than just smushing together on a breakfast plate in order to get rid of the uneaten leftovers from the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, but I finally came on something that looks quite good and I actually have all the ingredients on hand this morning so I don't have to take a trip out in the rain to 3 Bears to pick anything up to add to the meal.  I bought a fresh Avocado🥑 a couple of days ago and it is just now perfectly ripe for this meal.  Avocado🥑 is great with both Salmon & Eggs, it really fills out the breakfast plate and it looks just GREAT in presentation!

I will enjoy this breakfast today by myself without Healthy People around to disturb my Wa this morning.  I am going to add a little shaved Parmesan cheese and hothouse tomatoes to mine as well.

RE

RE

Baked Avocado Salmon and Eggs
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/25/2018
« Reply #1033 on: August 25, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
You had to know a Salmon Salad would be amongst the Leftover Offerings from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  When in doubt, make a Salad out of it.  ::)

The tough part with a Salmon Salad is deciding on the dressing.  As I mentioned,it's fairly EZ to decide with Steak, Blue Cheese goes great.  Chicken also is a No-Brainer, there everybody goes with Caesar.  But what do YOU put on a Salmon Salad (if you ever have one?).  I won't divulge my choice unless I get a few other contributions of ideas for this.

It does matter of course how you originally prepared the Salmon, and in this case I smoked it over Hickory chips and basted with a really spicy Thai Peanut Sauce for you to consider in making your dressing choice.  The next 1/3rd of this piece of fillet I am going to do with a less spicy sauce, more plain lemon-dill.  My taste buds just aren't ready for spicy yet.  ::)

RE

Grilled Salmon Salad with Lemon-Basil Dressing
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/25/2018
« Reply #1034 on: August 25, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »
I was running out of ideas on how to fix my leftover Salmon from the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, when it hit me that since the Diner has an International Cuisine, I didn't HAVE to stick to Amerikan fish preparations or even any traditional preps, I could fix it any way I want!

So for tonight's dinner, we are going Mexican, and having Salmon Quesadillas!  :icon_sunny:  This in large part because I bought an electric quesadilla maker for the failed Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure so I could make Quesadillas as Snack food for Eddie to keep him nourished for driving.  This idea didn't fly any better than any of my other cooking ideas to be of some use on this trip and not just a burden and encumbrance the Healthy people on the trip couldn't wait to be rid of.

Despite the fact it didn't get much use on the LGABLA, these devices make fixing up a quesadilla an absolute snap, and there are tons of great quesadilla recipes ou there besides just the typical chicken-cheese quesadilla.  I found a recipe for a Greek style one with spinach, olives, tomatoes and feta cheese that looks just scrumptious and I will have to try after burning through the Salmon and also the Chicken Wings I picked up a couple of days ago.  Besides having a lot of cooking to do these days to use up all this food, I fel like I am eating practically non-stop.  I wonder if I am gaining back any of the weight I lost? ???

RE

Sweet & Spicy Salmon Quesadilla
Save As Many As You Can