PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Doomstead Diner Menu

Poll

How do you like your eggs best?

Scrambled
4 (36.4%)
Sunny Side Up
0 (0%)
Over Easy
4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 62735 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #1260 on: December 15, 2018, 10:58:08 AM »
Damn. I haven't had breakfast. Now I'm incredibly hungry.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/15/2018
« Reply #1261 on: December 15, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
It's Steak Saturday again here inside the Diner, time to enjoy some more great Brazilian Beef!

You would think after last night's pig out at the Churrascaria we would have had our fill of cow flesh for the week, but noooooo, not the Diner Meatosauruses!  MOAR MEAT!

We headed out to one of the fine Steakhouses in Recife, CT Boucherie.  Steakhouses are not the same as Churascaria's they serve a more traditional single dish of your choice rather than coming around to your table with All-You-Can-Eat BBQed cuts on skewers.  For our choice tonight, we had to go with the Diner Favorite Cut, Prime Rib.  More on this when the results of the survey are published tomorrow for Sunday Brunch.  This dish is the most expensive on the CT Boucherie menu, coming in at R$140.  Which sounds like a lot, but at the current exchange rate that's only $35.  An equal quality Prime Rib dinner here will cost you $50 and up.

Hope you enjoy tonight's Brazilian Prime Rib Feast.  My plate pictured below, I'm in the Rare category for beef consumption.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Rare Prime Rib

Feijon & Farofa

Pinot Noir
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:32:57 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Sunday Smorgasbord Special: 12/16/2018
« Reply #1262 on: December 16, 2018, 05:20:32 AM »
We hadda cook up the Oysters to avoid them going bad, and also get rid of some of the Lobster meat which was clogging up the freezer in Cassandra II' Galley.  It's a pretty big freezer for an airplane Galley, but it can still only hold so much.  When we get the e190 down to the factory in São José dos Campos I'm going to have them install an additional 5 cu ft chest freezer to hold more food.

So instead of our usual trip out to one of the local hotels or restaurants for Sunday Brunch, Julia and I decided to fix our own dishes for the crew.  We split the remaining Fish Flesh down the middle to prepare our meals.

Julia made delicious Lobster Cakes and Oysters Rockefeller as her contributions and I made Habanero Butter Smoked Oysters out on Cassandra's Porch with my Char-Griller Tabletop Smoker.  Eike had the foresight to have a custom porch installed on Cassandra II.  :icon_sunny:  Too bad he can't enjoy it from behind bars.  :(

We capped off the meal with some fresh fruit from one of the nearby Open Air Markets.

We finished Brunch around noon and took off on a short 3 hour hop to Rio, rather than going straight to the Embraer factory in São José dos Campos.  I can't visit Brazil without going back to some of my old playground and my old neighborhood to see how it is doing.

RE

Today's Sunday Smorgasbord Special Special

Oysters Rockefeller

Lobster Cakes with Roasted Vegetables

Habanero Butter Smoked Oysters

Lobster Quiche Cups

Brazilian Fresh Fruit Plate
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍣 Doomstead Diner Sunday Supper Special: 12/16/2018
« Reply #1263 on: December 16, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
The flight down to Rio was uneventful and quick, we arrived on time around 3PM and got Cassandra II parked on the Tarmac and unloaded our ZEVs for a quick tour of Ipanema Beach and a look at amy old apartment building on Rua Joachim Nabuco.

click to enlarge
Brazil Ipanema Map 2
Brazil Ipanema Map 2

The building looked a little beat up compared to how I remember it from the 1960s, not surprising though considering at the time it had been built just a few years earlier in the post-WWII expansion of the Empire into SA and now it is over 50 years old.  I resisted the impulse to go up to the apartment and ring the doorbell to see if I could have a look around.  The furniture would not have been the same, and it would wreck my memories of the place.  I'll keep them as they are.

Ipanema Beach in this section did not look too bad, maybe a little more polluted than I remember, but even then there were tar spills in the sand you would hit while digging down and building sand castles.  A little more dangerous now I think with more roving gangs of Yuts looking to pick up unattended wallets and valuables.  The girls are a still as HOT looking as I remember them though.  :icon_sunny:

While enroute I called Soros to let him know about our plans to spend a week at the Embrear factory for Amelia to bone up on the plane's mechanics which he said was a great idea and he also had some ideas for modifications and upgrades, even though Eike had ordered a pretty good plane to start with.  I also had a few ideas and we batted them back and forth and he coughed up a budget $10M for the upgrades since he picked the plane up so cheap at auction anyhow.  Pocket change for George of course, and I think he was probably looking for a Tax Deduction too.  So Cassandra II will be spending a week at the Embraer factory getting the job done and we will find some other nearby digs for Amelia to commute to the factory from for her training.

For Sunday Supper in Rio, we hit one of the fine Japanese restaurants in Rio, there are many of them due to a large population of Jap Ex-Pats.  In fact Dad the Pigman owned one after he retired from Chase Manhattan, although he only lasted with it for about 5 years in his early retirement.  Too much work getting up at 4AM every morning to go shopping at the fish market and he never trusted the chefs he hired to do a good job picking out the fish.

Most of the top restaurants in Rio can be found on Rua Dias Ferreira in the Leblon district, and we went to Togu, which features a fusion of Japanese and Brazilian cuisine.  Delectable!

We'll get a good night's sleep and fly off tomorrow on a quick 1 hour hop over to the Embraer airfield and then settle in at our digs for the week on the beach at the Praia de Ensenada.

RE

Today's Sunday Supper Special Special

A Togu Sampler of Delectable Delights

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/17/2018
« Reply #1264 on: December 17, 2018, 02:02:33 AM »
Early wake up call this morning for the short flight down to the private airfield of Embraer,  just a short hop away from Rio in São José dos Campos, São Paulo. .

We got there early and landed around 7AM, in time to make a nice Breakfast aboard Cassandra II before our scheduled meeting with the CEO at 10AM.  Julia and I got through the last of the Lobster and Oysters, she made some Lobster Sushi Rolls and I made a Smoked Oyster Pate to go with that.  Main course for Breakfast this morning were some scrumptious Breakfast Burritos.  You won't find BBs like this at Taco Bell, only at the Take-Out window of the Doomstead Diner!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Today's Breakfast Special

Avocado Breakfast Burrito

Spicy Asparagus, Avocado & Lobster Sushi

Smoked Oyster Pate
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/17/2018
« Reply #1265 on: December 17, 2018, 10:30:46 AM »
Negotiations on the upgrades and modifications to Cassandra II went well, there were no major modifications to be made to the general maechanics or superstructure, mostly just cosmetic stuff fairly easily done.  Came in way under the budget Soros gave me of $10M, I'm investing most of the remainder in Crypto on Eddie's recommendation.  ;D

Since we can't stay on Cassandra II during the upgrade work this week, Paulo Cesar de Souza e Silva the CEO of Embraer is letting us use one of his Villas for the week.  It's pretty nice digs!

He also gave us use of one of the Choppers they have on hand for visiting guests to use.

These things are GREAT!  I am going to call George and see if I can convince him to buy us one, or something similar anyhow.  It would really be helpful for bringing in aid to areas hit by natural disasters, so another good Tax Write-off!  :icon_sunny:

Paulo's Private Chef Enrique whipped up lunch for us while we were negotiating, which was quite good.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Hearts of Palm, Tomato & Avocaado Salad

Spicy Black Bean Soup with Chorizo Sausage

Grilled Swordfish with Mango Salsa
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/17/2018
« Reply #1266 on: December 17, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »
It's Meat Monday at the Diner, so for Dinner we headed out to Fleming's, one of the top Steakhouses in Sao Paulo.  It was a quick trip in the Chopper, only about 30 minutes.

Another great Meatosaurus meal!

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Beef Tenderloin Carpacio

Lobster Tempura

Black Angus Prime Rib
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/18/2018
« Reply #1267 on: December 18, 2018, 04:20:55 AM »
Rather than going out to eat today, we decided to enjoy the day relaxing at the new digs for the week and cooking some good old fashioned Amerikan meals.  You get to missing that even though all the different cuisine we sample on our menu gathering expeditions ar very good also.

We'll hit the beach this afternoon since the temps are projected to be well into the triple digits, do some body surfing and also maybe play some beach volleyball.  Amelia will e at the Embraer factory all day, Amelia & I will be one team and Julia & Natasha will be on the other side of the net.  How does a cripple play beach volleyball you might wonder? ???  :icon_scratch:  Tune in later this afternoon to find out the answer to that question.  ;D

Julia whipped up a traditional breakfast of Bacon, Eggs & Hash Browns which was excellent.  She knows just how everyone likes their eggs.  I am an Over Easy guy most of the time, but we have Scrambled and Sunnyside afficionados also in the crew and several switch hitters including myself, so Julia always asks us how we want the eggs before cooking them up.

RE

Bacon, Eggs (Over Easy) & Hashbrowns

Bacon, Eggs (Sunnyside) & Hashbrowns

Bacon, Eggs (Scrambled) & Hashbrowns
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌭 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/18/2018
« Reply #1268 on: December 18, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
We hit the beach early, around 10AM before it got scorching HOT to have our Beach Volleyball Tournament.  It was Nikki & Me vs. Julia & Natasha, and we wiped the sand with them, 15-0 & 15-0 in the best 2 out of 3 Tournament.  :icon_sunny:  To be honest, Nikki could have done this by herself, she's a World Class Beach Volleyball player.

For the match, Nikki was the Setter and I was the Spiker.  We pulled the lifeguard chair in front of the net and I sat in it Spiking the shots Nikki set up for me.  They were always right on target and I didn't have to do anything but swing my still decent Left Arm to Spike the ball home!  :icon_sunny:

Needless to say, Julia & Natasha are refusing any further Volleyball matches against us.  :(  Like playing Chess with Amelia, the outcome is a foregone conclusion and it's no fun losing all the time.

By Noon the Beach was an Oven with temps going over 105F and we spent most of the time in the water but the surf was low and the water too warm to be really refreshing so we headed back to the Villa for an Amerikan BBQ Lunch by the Pool.  Then back inside to spend the rest of the day in Air Conditioned Comfort watching the Big Screen TV.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Chili Dog & Chips

Canadian Potato Salad

Maple Apple Dijon Cole Slaw
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:06:56 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥘 Doomstead Diner Menu 1 Year Anniversary
« Reply #1269 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
I am looking for new pics to use as part of the Doomstead Diner Graphic ensemble for new posters, banners, etc.

Here are 3 I have turned up so far:

If you find other good ones, add them to the thread!  :icon_sunny:

RE

:multiplespotting:

I almost missed it.  It's the 1 year Anniversary of the Diner Menu Thread!  :icon_sunny:

It has been a great year of eats on the Diner, and when I buy my Ticket to the Great Beyond the surviving Admins can just repeat the specials we offered up on a yearly basis.

Eat well in Collapse, for as long as you can.  Save those Insect Recipes for when you need them though.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/18/2018
« Reply #1270 on: December 18, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »
Moe good Amerikan Comfort Food for Dinner tonight, Roast Chicken.  Spatchcocked which most Amerikans don't do, but is a fabulous technique for roasting any bird, and small mammals like rabbits and squirrels too!  Put the method in your recipe card file for SHTF Day cooking.   :icon_sunny:

We enjoyed the relaxation in the digs so much today we're going to do it again tomorrow and do our own cooking, no restaurant food tomorrow either.  Save some of Soros' money tomorrow!  Julia and I are still tossing around recipe ideas, but since it is Pasta Wednesday tomorrow on the Italian North End of Cassandra II, we'll come up with something.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Garden Salad

Spatchcocked Garlic Roasted Chicken & Vegetables

Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 How to Spatchcock a Chicken
« Reply #1271 on: December 18, 2018, 04:48:32 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbqZJZOUM6I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bbqZJZOUM6I</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/19/2018
« Reply #1272 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:07 AM »
Another good day of lounging around the digs being lazy on this Pasta Wednesday.  Great fun cooking in the Kitchen here, not nearly so cramped as the Kitchen aboard Cassandra II, although that is pretty functional and is scheduled to get some major improvements this week at the Embraer factory.  I also kind of miss bumping into Julia all the time cooking in this kitchen.   ;D

We'll be featuring on special a Pasta dish for every meal today.  Enjoy.

RE

Breakfast Ramen with Avocado

Strawberry Cheesecake
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/19/2018
« Reply #1273 on: December 19, 2018, 07:46:50 AM »

[size=142pt]Breakfast Ramen with Avocado[/size]

Looks really good. Although it look more like lunch to me.

For what the hobbits called "Second breakfast," here is something from my sister's page:

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍔 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/19/2018
« Reply #1274 on: December 19, 2018, 10:30:54 AM »
After Amelia headed off to the Embraer factory for another day of training with the Chief Engineer, the rest of us headed out to the Praia (Beach) again before the temps got too hot again to walk on the sand without burning the soles of your feet on the way to the water.

Surf was better this morning , enough to do some light body board surfing which is good exercise and not too dangerous for Cripples.  None of the waves were coming in much over 6'.

RE in the Tube

We left the praia by 11 before the Noon sun really started to cook the sand and headed back to the pool to fix Lunch.  Another good wholesome Amerikan staple, BBQ Hamburgers with Fixin's of your choice and for the Pasta, Mac & Cheese.  After lunch we retired to indoors for games played horizontally.  ;D

Below, my Burger with fixins  and Julia's Mac& Cheese and a yummy 3-Bean Salad.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Cilantro Lime3-Bean Salad

Mushroom & Swiss Burger

Southern Baked Mac & Cheese
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN