4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 95476 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍝 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 2/6/2018
« Reply #270 on: February 06, 2018, 01:36:02 PM »
Before I travelled to Europe after HS graduation to do 6 weeks of Inter-railing, I never had Spaghetti Bolognese.  At home all we ever cooked up was spaghetti and meatballs.  I got off the train at some dipshit town in southern Italy, I don't remember the name.  I ordered the SB, it was one of the cheapest items on the menu.  I think it was around $1, maybe less.  It was FABULOUS!.  I have never had such good SB ever again, even in the best Italian restaurants.

RE

Spaghetti Bolognese
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/6/2018
« Reply #271 on: February 06, 2018, 09:02:26 PM »
Very popular meal up here, for obvious reasons.  In the Food Superstores, they have stuffed salmon fillets already prepared, all you have to do is Take & Bake, like Pizza but classier. lol.

Crab Stuffed Salmon
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍕 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/7/2018
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2018, 04:35:14 AM »
The traditional College Breakfast.   ;D

RE

Cold Pizza & Warm Beer
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍕 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/7/2018
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »

RE

Cold Pizza & Warm Beer

Not just for college anymore. Been a staple of many, many weekends' breakfasts...

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🍕 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/7/2018
« Reply #274 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:36 AM »

RE

Cold Pizza & Warm Beer

Not just for college anymore. Been a staple of many, many weekends' breakfasts...

I admit to having eaten this breakfast a few times since college myself...

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥪 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 2/7/2018
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2018, 12:14:08 PM »
Since I started the day with the archetypal college breakfast of Cold Pizza & Warm Beer, I decided to make the whole day an Homage to my college diet.  I didn't sign up for the food plan in the cafeteria at Columbia, first off the food was awful and second it was ridiculously expensive.  It also wasn't even all you can eat!  :emthdown:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_nGSvkJjc9c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_nGSvkJjc9c</a>

I can't tell you how hard I laughed when I first saw Animal House in 1978.  My stomach muscles were aching by the time I left the theater.  It was a great parody of my college years.  :icon_mrgreen:

Lunch was usually a takeout from one of the delis or ethnic food storefronts, and Mama Joy's was the best of the delis by far.  I went Googling to see if I could find a pic of Mama Joy's from the era on the net, no luck there.  When I attended, Mama Joy's was still a relatively small deli and the meats were all prepared in house.  So your Pastrami or Roast Beef wasn't in a Shrink Wrapped package from Boar's Head, they cooked these meats up themselves, then sliced them how you liked to drop on your sandwich or hero.  In later years in the 80s, Mama Joy's morphed into a bigger Gourmet Foods Emporium like Zabars, which was a little further downtown on the West Side of Manhattan around 76th Street as I recall.

Anyhow, one of my favorite heros to order at Mama Joy's was their RARE Roast Beef hero, where the center of the beef hunk was practically still Mooing. 🐄  They usually had 3 beef hunks cooked to varying degrees of done-ness to choose from.  This was before there were rules by the FDA on how much meat had to be cooked before you could sell it in a deli.  Today I never would buy a Boar's Head RB sandwich, that shit is overcooked to beat the band. 🤮 The RB Sandwich below is somewhat close to what Mama Joy's offered up.  I had mine with Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Mayo and Salt & Pepper.

RE

Roast Beef Sandwich
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍗 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/7/2018
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2018, 07:49:52 PM »
For my final meal of the day, we're looking at College Dinner when you're not on the meal plan.

Although sometimes I would take myself out to one of the cheaper eateries in the neighborhood like Tom's Diner (famous as the Diner in the Seinfeld TV series), more often I would cook for myself in my dorm room.  My cooking apparatus was limited and simple, I had a two burner electric hot plate and a flip over electric Toaster Oven-Broiler.  They both sat on top of a typical hotel room size fridge, large enough to hold a couple of 6-packs of beer and about 2 days of dinners.  In later years after a fire in Livingston Hall where I had lived, they banned the use of these devices in dorm rooms, but when I attended it was fairly common amongst the undergrads.

Those years were the first where I experimented with recipes other than ones I had picked up from my mom or other relatives like Veal Parmigiana and Matzoh Ball Soup and got more creative with my cooking.  One of the first ones I "invented" (because I didn't use a cookbook for it) was Honey-Mustard Baked Chicken.  I bought the cheapest cut of chicken available, usually a Leg-Thigh combo.  Basted on the Honey-Mustard combo and baked.  My standard side dishes were rice & black beans and a veggie either stir-fried or steamed.  My dinners usually cost less than $1 in 1970s dollars.  I'll share some other recipes from the period at a future date in this series.

RE

Honey-Mustard Baked Chicken

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2018, 05:43:43 AM »
On POP3 palloy@doomsteaddiner.net reports "Authentication fail". On STMP returns email with "No such user".

CPanel > Email  accounts > Search "*" > reports "No accounts found"

CPanel > Email  accounts > Create new account > reports "Error".

Trying to access webmail, https://cm101.asoshared.com:2096/cpsess9586934972/webmail/paper_lantern/index.html?login=1&post_login=98107904473724
 reports:
A fatal error has occurred
Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 102787341 bytes)

1. Horde_ErrorHandler::catchFatalError()

Open a ticket please.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #278 on: February 08, 2018, 06:06:12 AM »
On POP3 palloy@doomsteaddiner.net reports "Authentication fail". On STMP returns email with "No such user".

CPanel > Email  accounts > Search "*" > reports "No accounts found"

CPanel > Email  accounts > Create new account > reports "Error".

Trying to access webmail, https://cm101.asoshared.com:2096/cpsess9586934972/webmail/paper_lantern/index.html?login=1&post_login=98107904473724
 reports:
A fatal error has occurred
Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 102787341 bytes)

1. Horde_ErrorHandler::catchFatalError()

Open a ticket please.

I did.  Why is this post in this thread?  It's not a food post.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥑 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/8/2018
« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »
I thought I invented this breakfast about 5 years ago at my old gym.  I would drop medium boiled eggs into the holes left in the avocado when you take out the pit.  It was a great way to start the day.  In this case, they bake the egg right in the avocado.

RE

Avocado Baked Eggs
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍅 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 2/8/2018
« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2018, 03:18:13 PM »
I love tuna sandwiches, but not that fond of bread.  I'm basically Paleo in diet.  Here's a tuna sandwich without the bread!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Tuna Stuffed Tomato Melt
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍽️ Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/8/2018
« Reply #281 on: February 08, 2018, 10:22:21 PM »
The Diner was CLOSED for Dinner tonight, since the Chief Cook & Bottle Washer was Napping.  ;D

So tonight we are having Leftovers for a Late Night Snack.  ::)

Leftovers
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍽️ Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/8/2018
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2018, 03:02:00 AM »
The Diner was CLOSED for Dinner tonight, since the Chief Cook & Bottle Washer was Napping.  ;D

Leftovers

That is hilarious!

Just like life.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🍽️ Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/8/2018
« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2018, 04:38:44 AM »

Leftovers

That is hilarious!

Just like life.

PHEW!  I was worried I had lost my sense of humor.  ;) :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍈 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/9/2018
« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2018, 05:14:59 AM »
I never liked cottage cheese much as a kid, or cantaloupe. 🤮 I did develop a taste for CC though while working as a med tech.  On work days/nights when I was short on cash, I would buy a container of cottage cheese and a couple of bananas to sustain me for my 16 hour shift.  I never developed a taste for cantaloupe.  The only melon I like to this day is Watermelon.

RE

Cantaloupe & Cottage Cheese
Save As Many As You Can