4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 50277 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #855 on: June 13, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
To be perfectly honest I am a complete ass hole when it comes to anything tech, especially trying to take pictures with my cell phone. Actually tried it and couldn't see the image because of the bright sun and couldn't figure out how to close in on a close up etc. You must remember the geezer never even had a PC until the age of 56 and it took me a year to get to do what I wanted on it.

Buy a Kodak, look through the peephole and press the button.  This is too complicated for you?  You expect people to take your opinions on the market seriously when you can't even snap a picture?  That's pathetic.  ::)

RE

I have an expensive Minolta SLR Reflex camera with a wide angle lens but can't even buy film for it anymore. This digital stuff is teaching an old dog new tricks RE.

Like all great artists and scholars trying to get a message across, my desire is to create, compose, create a visual experience with both an actual message as well as a hidden one and to try and place my person and vision as well as emotional state in my image work.

As to an ordinary snapshot with a simple Kodak, well; I will leave that to an ordinary simple man, such as yourself.   

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 13, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »
As to an ordinary snapshot with a simple Kodak, well; I will leave that to an ordinary simple man, such as yourself.

This ordinary simple man can operate cameras which blow away your Minolta, which is a second level brand not up to the standards of Nikon and Canon.

If you can't learn how to use a decent camera, buy a Kodak.  It's Photography for Dummies.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦃 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 6/13/2018
« Reply #857 on: June 13, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
Today's Panini Choice is Turkey🦃.  Turkey🦃 based Panini's may be the most ubiquitous choice on the menu of Bistros which feature Paninis, with the possible exception of Chicken.

Eddie mentioned he doesn't like Paninis because he likes "real bread", aka not Foccacia bread which many places use for their Paninis.  When I pointed out that you can use any bread for a Panini, he said is was because he "doesn't like his bread squished".  But you don't have to squish the bread in a Panini either!  You can adjust how hard the panini press comes down on the bread.

The below example is of a Turkey Panini with the bread left un-squished.  Methinks Eddie has been soured by poor Panini choices in the Austin restaurant market.

RE

Turkey🦃, Brie and Cranberry Mustard Panini
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 13, 2018, 09:52:31 AM »

This ordinary simple man can operate cameras which blow away your Minolta, which is a second level brand not up to the standards of Nikon and Canon.

If you can't learn how to use a decent camera, buy a Kodak.  It's Photography for Dummies.

RE

What good is an extraordinary camera to an ordinary mind?

Could a man paint like Cezzanne who possessed his brush and paint palette? 

Could Cezzanne paint like Cezzanne with the simple brush and paints of a child's watercolor box?  :icon_scratch:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 13, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »

At least I know how to hold a paint brush and paint.  You aren't even competent to do that.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/13/2018
« Reply #860 on: June 13, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
We're doing it Greek style tonight for the Dinner Special!  No, you don't have to lube up for this.  lol.

When you talk Greek food, in the meat department Greeks eat Lamb🐑 like Americans eat Beef.  They don't raise too many cattle in Greece, but they raise sheep🐑 by the truckload.  Or at least they used to before the IMF dropped in to destroy their agricultural industry.  Don't know how many lambs🐑 they have these days to cook up or what percentage of the population has working money to buy a meal, but they still have the recipes!  :icon_sunny:

My best memories of Greek food come from when I leased a yacht in the Greek Islands with an intern friend and 2 nurses from the hospital I worked at as a Clinical Chemist.  A week of total bliss.  Sometimes on the smaller islands there was only one Taverna to choose from, if you wanted to eat out (we usually did) that was it.  It was a crapshoot as to whether the food would be good or crap, but I only recall one meal which I wasn't too enthused with.  My tastebuds however were influenced by the atmosphere, I suspect if I ate the same meal in a Greek Restaurant in NY Shity I would not have been so pleased.  Prices also were FANTASTIC, this was before the Euro when the Greeks still used Drachma.  I think a Moussaka dinner cost me something like $3.

Anyhow, reminiscing aside, tonight we are having one of the several varieties of Lamb Stew the Greeks will slow cook up, and they are all delicious.

RE

Stifado Greek Lamb🐑 Stew
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥞 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 6/14/2018
« Reply #861 on: June 14, 2018, 03:01:23 AM »
Jews have Pancakes🥞4Breakfast too, just they call them "Latkes".  They also make them our of different stuff than Goyim do, they use Potatoes or Matzoh Meal instead of Flour from the Great Plains.

As I mentioned a while back, I prefer the Matzoh Meal version, but for today we will put on Special a Potato Pancake🥞, this one spruced up with Blueberries.

For your Breakfast Meat, no Bacon, Sausage or Ham allowed!  It's not Kosher!  We'll have some leftover Beef🐄 Brisket for our breakfast meat today.

RE

Sweet Potato Pancakes🥞 with Spiced Blueberry Sauce

Beef🐄 Brisket
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 6/14/2018
« Reply #862 on: June 14, 2018, 08:56:06 AM »
We have covered Ham & Turkey so far in our Panini Lunch Specials, today we are going with Lamb🐑.  Why Lamb🐑, you ask?  Lamb🐑 isn't usualy on the Panini Menu in even the most upscale of Bistros.

The reason is because we had Lamb🐑 for Dinner last night in our Stifado Greek Stew, and we had a lot of leftovers.  We had a slow night at the Diner due to a drive-by shooting in front of the restaurant and the customers couldn't get past the police tape.  Fortunately, no Diner staff was injured because we all come to work in our Kevlar.

This does demonstrate the REAL best use of the Panini though, which is to create an entirely NEW MEAL from leftovers, rather than simply reheating them in the microwave.  Leftover Turkey from Thanksgiving Dinner can provide the meat for numerous different Lunchtime Paninis, you can have one like yesterday with the Cranberry Sauce (and FLUFFY non-foccacia bread!), or my favorite, with Swiss Cheese, Avocado, Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato.  Or dozens of other combinations with different sauces also.

So enjoy the Lamb🐑 you missed last night in the Panini you eat today!

RE

Lamb🐑 Panini with kafteri cheese, tomatoes, and tangy roasted red peppers
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:13:04 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #863 on: June 14, 2018, 03:16:46 PM »
What good is an extraordinary camera to an ordinary mind?

Could Cezzanne paint like Cezzanne with the simple brush and paints of a child's watercolor box?  :icon_scratch:
I heard a story about a nineteenth century violin virtuoso, possibly Paganini, who would buy a new violin for every concert in whatever town he was performing in.  The first half he would perform on his trusted old favorite, but the second half he would perform on the new violin, to prove that it was him, and not his violin, that was the source of the beautiful music.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐄 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/14/2018
« Reply #864 on: June 14, 2018, 06:35:21 PM »
For the Dinner Special tonight at the Diner, we are heading into the highest inhabited place on Earth, the Himalayas.  Did I mention that we took a side trip to Nepal on the circumnavigation aboard the Good 747 Jet Nostradamus?  The Dalai Lama is a very good Chef and shared some recipes with our team of Chefs. DL is a vegan sometimes, other times he eats meat🐄.  It depends whether he is in Dharamsala or not.  The weekend we got there he was not, so we were treated to Shaptra, Tibetan Stir Fried Beef.  It's amazing they can raise cows up there!

RE

Shaptra (Tibetan Stir Fried Beef🐄)
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥑 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 6/15/2018
« Reply #865 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:25 AM »
There is nothing more famous at the Diner on our menu than our Breakfast Sandwiches, of which there are many.  You can eat them as a sit down meal inside the Diner, or stop at the take out window in your Tesla, if it hasn't incinerated before you get there or the self-driving system gets you in a crack-up with a Semi.  We suggest bicycling to the Diner and sitting down for a meal and shmoozing about Collapse.  It's a safer alternative.

This one is Open Face and more conducive to a sit down meal.  We do have a variant with scrambled eggs that comes in a wrapper for EZ eating while you drive, if you have a Death Wish.  You can text on your Smart Phone while you eat and let Elon do the driving for you.  This is known as "The Last Breakfast".

RE

Avocado🥑 BLT🥓🍅 with Spicy Mayo and Fried Eggs🍳
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐚 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 6/15/2018
« Reply #866 on: June 15, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
Late Lunch today because I was napping in preparation for my drive down to Anchorage to pick up Brian, but we'll still have our Panini for Friday.

Since it is also Fish Friday, we'll make it a Seafood Panini.  You don't usually see too many seafood based Paninis in the typical Bistro, they stick mostly to Deli meats which they buy from Boar's Head.  The way they jazz them up is by adding other ingredients, but like the deli meats, they use stuff that doesn't need cooking besides the grilling on the Panini Press.  Here at the Diner we are not so constrained, and neither are you at home!

For our fish choice, we are going with a variety we haven't used before (that I remember), Scallops🐚.  These are Bay Scallops🐚, the little ones, not the big Sea Scallops🐚.  They cook REALLY quick, don't overdo them!

RE

Scallops🐚 Po'Boy Wrap Panini
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Sunday Smorgasbord Special: 6/24/2018
« Reply #867 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
The Diner Menu is BACK!  :icon_sunny:

Even though Brian has been gone a few days, I held off restarting the Menu in order to start fresh at the beginning of the week with the Sunday Smorgasbord.  Well, some people (including me) consider Monday to be the start of the week, but on calendars Sunday often starts the week, so for the Menu Sunday is the start choice.

If you go to one of the very best Breakfast Buffets at a really fancy hotel, they don't have the eggs🍳 in a warming dish over the steam table, there is an Egg🍳 Station to cook the eggs🍳 up fresh and how you like them (Scrambled  and Over EZ now tied here amongst Diners).  You can either cook them yourself or there is a Chef manning the station who will do it for you if you don't feel competent to cook eggs🍳, and the busing staff will clean up your mess for you as well.  All the innards of veggies, cheeese and meats are also all cut up for you and ready to go in the pan with the eggs🍳 so you only have to do the fun part of cooking the eggs🍳, which only takes about 5 minutes.

Warming tray scrambled eggs🍳 can be OK if you get them straight out of the kitchen and the cook is good and they don't use powdered eggs and you are first into the breakfast room when they are served, but otherwise are mostly to be avoided.  Omelets left in a warming tray are an unmitigated disaster no matter when you get to the buffet service table.  An advantage with DIY Omelets🍳 is that you can pick and choose your own stuffing for a Custom Omelet🍳.  Forget Over EZ🍳 or Sunnyside Up🍳 in a warming tray.  :emthdown:

Anyhow, I had all these great breakfasts dreamed up to start the day with while Brian was here, finally an opportunity to cook not just for myself (who hardly eats anything)!  As it turns out though, Brian doesn't usually have breakfast at all, and when he does have one with eggs🍳 it is a simple a straightforward one, 2 eggs🍳, hash browns and toast.  Eggs🍳 Sunnyside Up.  No breakfast meat (who doesn't like sausage, ham, bacon or steak with their eggs? ???  :icon_scratch:), although I did convince him to try one of the maple breakfast sausages I got ON SALE, which he seemed to enjoy since he ate the whole thing.  I gave him 2 sausages on the second day and he ate both of them too.  For myself, I cooked up 1 Egg🍳 Over EZ, a tiny pile of hash browns the size of a ping pong ball flattened out and half an English Muffin, and I only could finish 3/4s of that.  I can't even go to IHOP anymore because everything comes with at least 2 eggs, and 3/4s of the meal goes to waste.  You can't even take home a breakfast meal in a doggie bag, the stuff doesn't microwave well at all.  A breakfast with eggs🍳 has to be eaten Freshly Cooked, except Hard Boiled Eggs🍳 which are good Road Food and keep for a couple of days no refrigeration.

I forgot to get pics of the first morning breakfast, so I'll Google up a facsimile for this morning's Food Pics.  I did get a pic of the final day's breakfast though, which did NOT include Eggs.  Any guesses as to what the menu choice was for that breakfast?

RE

Sunnyside Up Eggs🍳 with Hash Browns

Eggs🍳 Over EZ with Hash Browns
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 09:00:59 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍜 Doomstead Diner Sunday Soup & Salad Special: 6/24/2018
« Reply #868 on: June 24, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »
As you might remember, prior to my vacation from meal preparation for the Diner, I instituted a new regular feature on Sundays, the Soup🍜 & Salad🥗 Sunday Special, to go with the Sunday Brunch Smorgasbord Special where most Diners will so load up their plates with the scrumptious offerings of the Diner there isn't much room left for a big dinner even late into the evening.  Brian and I ate light Sunday morning with just a basic breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, sausage and toast, but the regimen of Soup & Salad🥗 for Sunday Dnner still holds here on the Diner.  At home, I made a Big BBQ on Sunday with STEAK and Shrimp on the Barbie.

So for tonights selections of the menu for myself, I am going with a hearty Black Bean Chili over Yellow Rice for the Soup🍜, and for the Salad🥗 I am having Tomato, Asparagus &-Hearts of Palm, in my case smothered in Caesar Dressing.  This is an all Vegan meal, satisfying our Vegan Diners for a change.  ;D  What are your selections tonight?

RE

Black Bean Chili 🍜

Tomato-Asparagus-Hearts of Palm Salad
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍜 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 6/25/2018
« Reply #869 on: June 25, 2018, 05:11:42 AM »
It's Cinnamon4Breakfast time again here at the Diner!    :icon_sunny:  And no, it's not those scrumptious Cinnamon Rolls they bake up at K-Dog's favorite Breakfast Diner in Seattle.  This time, we're having our Cinnamon (and Apples) with our Oatmeal.

I mentioned during my Camping Meals feature that my favorite flavored Oatmeal was Banana-Walnut, but it is followed closely by both Maple-Brown Sugar and Apple-Cinnamon, hard to decide between those two which is 2nd and which is 3rd.  I have to admit also to mostly if not exclusively having eaten these Oatmeal combinations out of Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal packages on the Camping Trail.  I've never been an Oatmeal eater at home, I only remember a few times in my early years I had it for breakfast in Brasil.

However, there are a plethora of ways to fix Oatmeal besides just mixing with hot water, and it certainly has to be an improvement to use REAL fresh apples as opposed  to the apple flavoring and tiny bits of dried apple you get in a package of Instant Quaker Oats, so I probably have missed out on the real Oatmeal Experience for this incarnation of my Immortal Soul walking the Earth inside a Meat Package.  Many people swear by Oatmeal for its fiber quantity and health benefits, so if you don't currently have it as part of your weekly or monthly Breakfast meals, it might be worthwhile to add it.  Perhaps if I had eaten more Oatmeal through my life, I wouldn't be in such agonizing pain now.  :o

Anyhow, without further editorializing and complaining about my health problems, here's a nice looking version of Baked Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal that will start off your Collapse Morning in a healthy manner.

RE

Baked Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal 🍜
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN