4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76859 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍠 Doomstead Diner Veggie Side Dish of the Day: 7/28/2018
« Reply #975 on: July 28, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »
We'' finish up the week of Veggie Side Dish specials with an entry from our South American chef, Pepe Escobar, taking a few minutes off from stumping for the New Sil Road to whip up a tasty Peruvian Dish.  Peruvians are known for eating a lot of exotic meats (by Amerikan standards) like Guinea Pigs and Llamas, giving the impression they are heavy meat eaters, but they are not.  Thise dishes are traditionally saved for special occassions, and actually prior to the Invasion by the Conquistadores their diet was almost completely Vegan (they did eat a decent amount of fish if they were on the coast not in the Andes.  This dish is called "Locro" (not not "loco") and in this version uses Sweet Potatoes🍠, Zucchini, Peas and Tofu.  The Tofu comes from the Asian influence in Peruvian cooking, as Peru also had waves of immigrants roll in from across the Pacific in addition to those that showed up crossing the Atlantic in the post colonial era.

Like other Veggie Medley dishes, Locro ingredients can vary, but one consistent aspect is there is always an Orange colored one in there, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes or Pumpkin.  Don't know the reason for that.

Tomorrow, it's back to the Diner Smorgasbord for the first time in many Moons.  :icon_sunny:  Suggestions :hi:

RE

Peruvian Locro
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Sunday Smörgåsbord Special: 7/29/2018
« Reply #976 on: July 29, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »
The Sunday Smörgåsbord Special is BACK!  :icon_sunny:

Who can resist the FISH🐟 tables when you cruise around the Smörgåsbord offerings?  Not me.  You have to be some kind of miscreant or fish🐟 hugger to resist the delicate flavors and textures of the many different forms of aquatic life the ocean has up to offer, hopefully at least until I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond anyhow.  After that, the remaining Homo Saps can delight with the fabulous flavors of the worms and insects.

Of course, the Shellfish table always attracts me because I am a big fan of King Crab, Lobster,, Shrimp, Scallops, Clams, Mussels...well fact is there isn't a shellfish I don't like, except the ones bottom feeding by Fukushima Daichi 1.

Today I'm going to fill my plate from the Vertebrate species swimming around out there, and there are a few of those I am not that fond of, Cod and Mackerel don't appeal to me much.  My choices today though all appeal to me.  You can make your own choices.  What's your favorite Vertebrate Fish🐟 to eat?    Preparation style also is very important when it comes to fish .  Here's a couple of shots from today, a table of smoked, baked and salted offerings and a plate I filled up from Hamlet's table, he's our Danish Chef and besides the great fish and meats presentations he also makes great pastries!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Fish🐟 Smörgåsbord

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Sunday Supper Special: 7/29/2018
« Reply #977 on: July 29, 2018, 06:29:30 PM »
As usual after a HUGE All-You-Can-Eat meal earlier today at the Diner Sunday Smörgåsbord, I don't have a whole lot of room left in there for another major meal, so for the Sunday Supper Special I decided to go for something light &  healthy.  Nobody does light & healthy better than the Japanese, but after eating half the Pacific catch for the year today, FISH🐟 was OUT! This limits you somewhat with Nip dishes.  However, far as animal protein goes, besides fish🐟 you find both beef🥩 and chicken in the Jap diet too.  I ruled out STEAK🥩 because Monday is Monday Meat🥩 night for the Dinner Special, which left Chicken🐔 as tonight's choice.  I'll be honest I don't order Chicken🐔 too often in restaurants, both the MEAT🥩 and the FISH on the menu usually appeal to me more.  About the only time I regularly order Chicken🐔 is Fried Chicken🐔 at Popeye's, my favorite chain for fried chicken.  However, one of the Dinner Combos served up by our local Jap Joint Tokyo has Chicken🐔 Teriyaki as one of the mini meals in your Bento Box and it's not too bad.  So tonight we are having a nice simple Chicken🐔 Teriyaki Main Course served over a helping of sticky rice.  Continuing on with the Lite, Healthy & Nutritious theme for the Diner Sunday Supper Special today, I added a side of Seaweed and Cucumber🥒 Salad🥗.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Seaweed & Cucumber🥒 Salad🥗

Chicken🐔 Teriyaki
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍜 🍕Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 7/31/2018
« Reply #978 on: July 31, 2018, 02:10:05 PM »
This is my first Lunch Special since returning to the Kitchen to perform feats of culinary magic for the Diner Patrons since my Close Encounter of the Third Kind with the Grim Reaper  Heretofore I have only done some Dinners and Breakfasts/Brunches.

For this auspicious occasiond[, I chose one of my favorite lunches, the Soup🍜 & Sandwich🥪 combo.  Back in my Trucking years Panera Bread offered a Half Soup🍜/Half Sandwich🥪 combination (or you could substitute a salad for either one) at a semi-bargain price, which I often partook of if I passed a Panera with a parking lot big enough for 73' of Tractor & Trailer.  A lot of the time thogh also I just splurged and bought the full version of all 3.  :icon_sunny:  I had a better appetite in those days

Hope you enjoy today's combo, both are first time entrees on the Diner Menu.  Wild Rice🍚 became a favorite of mine from eating Uncle Ben's recipe for Long Grain & Wild Rice🍚, with 11 Herbs and Spices.  I have since experimented with other spices and variations, but Uncle Ben's remains a favorite despite being a little overpriced.

Our sandwich today is a Pizza-nini, a delicious  combination of two Itie food inventions, the Pizza🍕 and the Panini🥪.    Pineapples🍍 were on sale, so I went with a Hawaiian Pizza.  Not a Pizza version around in my youth, but a pretty good new variation.

RE

Wild Rice🍚 & Mushroom Soup🍜

Hawaiian Pizza🍕-nini

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍜 🍕Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 7/31/2018
« Reply #979 on: July 31, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
This is my first Lunch Special since returning to the Kitchen to perform feats of culinary magic for the Diner Patrons since my Close Encounter of the Third Kind with the Grim Reaper  Heretofore I have only done some Dinners and Breakfasts/Brunches.

For this auspicious occasiond[, I chose one of my favorite lunches, the Soup🍜 & Sandwich🥪 combo.  //

Hope you enjoy today's combo, both are first time entrees on the Diner Menu.  Wild Rice🍚 became a favorite of mine from eating Uncle Ben's recipe for Long Grain & Wild Rice🍚, with 11 Herbs and Spices.  I have since experimented with other spices and variations, but Uncle Ben's remains a favorite despite being a little overpriced.

That soup looks incredible. I'd do that all day and night.

OTOH, pineapple belongs on pizza as much as dicks belong on women. Which is to say, not.

Panera's is still a good place for lunch.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🍜 🍕Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 7/31/2018
« Reply #980 on: August 02, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »

For this auspicious occasiond[, I chose one of my favorite lunches, the Soup🍜 & Sandwich🥪 combo.  //

That soup looks incredible. I'd do that all day and night.

OTOH, pineapple belongs on pizza as much as dicks belong on women. Which is to say, not.

Panera's is still a good place for lunch.

Not  huge fan of this pizza concoction myself,but it has become popular around here in all the Micro Breweries that serve Pizza.  I usually go with my old standby, the loaded veggie pizza with peppers, onions, black olives and mushrooms.

Panera served up a kick ass Wild Mushroom soup, but no Wild Rice in that one.  It wasn't on the menu all the time, they rotated it in with a few other Soup Specials.  Do they still serve it?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍗 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 8/2/2018
« Reply #981 on: August 02, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
CHICKEN!🐔 It's what's for Dinner!  :icon_sunny:

The Honey-Mustard🐔 chicken dish is one of the first I created cooking my dinners in my dorm room at Columbia on a flip-over Toaster Oven-Broiler.  That, a 2-burner hotplate and an under-the-counter size fridge constituted my "kitchen".  The dorm rooms didn't have a bathroom, but they had a small sink to shave at, that's where I did the cleanup.

I invented this recipe, at least for myself I did even if somebody else got there first in a cookbook somewhere.  I never read about it, it just occured to me this would be a good combination.  In those days I would buy a whole quartered chicken🐔, because that was cheapest by the pound plus you got the Giblets with it.  So you could make Chicken🐔 Stock after consuming most of the meat with you dinners out of the bones and gizzards, for an excellent followup Chicken🐔 Soup of some variety.  I would eat half the chicken🐔 at the initial meal (again, I had a better appetite in those years), then save the other half to make Chicken🐔 Sandwiches and/or chicken🐔 salad with for lunches (usually got 2 lunches out of this plus the dinner),  The chickens🐔 were smaller in those days too, they weren't yet pumping them full of so many hormones.

Anyhow, today's Dinner doesn't feature the whole chicken, just the Drumsticks🍗.  This because while shopping at 3 Bears for food supplies for the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, I noticed Drumsticks🍗 ON SALE for the bargain price of $1.29 lb!!!  :o  That has to be the cheapest Animal Protein of any kind available at a retail price so low.  It blows away Hot Dogs and Hamburgers, less than 1/4 the price.  This because the Amerikan palate has been geared for White Meat Breasts, so the other parts don't sell so well.  Drumsticks🍗 however are a favorite chicken part for me, and at that price I'll eat all legs if I am on a SNAP Card budget!  You can also get Boneless Thighs on the cheap as well, and they are great for stuffing.  I did not buy any though, since I already have purchased more BEEF than we can possibly consume, at least on my Dinner night assignment of Head Chef.  I won't completely ignore our friend the Fowl though, I'll probably pick up some Wings to make some variation of Buffalo Wings for a Snack or Appetizer.

Our Honey-Mustard Chicken Drumstick🍗 Dinner at the Diner is an All-You-Can-Eat Meal.  100 Drumsticks🍗 in less than 2 hours gets you and your friends a free dinner plus your Photo on the wall in our Rogues Gallery of Diner PIGS!🐷

RE

Honey-Mustard Drumsticks🍗 (Baked, Broiled or BBQed)
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍜 🥪 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 8/4/2018
« Reply #982 on: August 04, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »
I missed Fish Friday entirely yesterday due to it being a heavy day for Prepping for the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  I was simply INUNDATED with shipments from Bozos and the Walton family, 8 boxes in all sometimes 3 or 4 preps to a box.  Lots of fun Unboxing!  :icon_sunny:  On the downside, my digs are now piled to the roof with packing material  :(  A lot needs to be bagged up and sent to the Land of Away.

Anyhow, to make up for that, we are featuring Fish4Lunch here today at the Diner!  It's another 2-part lunch, this time Soup🍜 & Sandwich🥪 again.

For the Soup🍜, we are going with Clam Chowder, but not the usual CC you get out at Seafood restaurants, which is New England Clam Chowder and is a cream based soup.  Today we are having Manhattan Clam Chowder, which is Tomato based.  You hardly ever see this on a menu, not even in Manhattan.  Campbell's used to make it for their Chunky Soup🍜 line, but it's not in there anymore.  I do love both varieties though, and in fact had a really GREAT bowl of the New England variety while visiting with K-D down in Seattle at one of the Ivar's chain.  It was so good I finished the whole bowl even though I was in the depths of non=eating at the time.  It's not universal across all Ivars though, we went to another one that was lower end and not so good.  For Manhattan CC though, you pretty much have to make it yourself from scratch these days.  You'll have to ask K-D which one it is if you go to Seattle and want to try their New England CC.

For the sandwich🥪, we'll order up that most popular fast food seafood sandwich🥪, the Fish Fillet, usually made from some fish of indeterminate species, but in our case made from freshly caught Atlantic or Pacific salmon, depending on whether you are eating in our coastal locations in Seward Alaska and in Bar Harbor Maine.

Less than 2 weeks until the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure BEGINS!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Manhattan Clam Chowder🍜

Fish Fillet Sandwich🥪
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Sunday Supper Special: 8/5/2018
« Reply #983 on: August 05, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »
Missed the Sunday Smorgasbord!  :(  I'm in the midst of doing Triage on my preps and trying to figure out what NOT to take on the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure.  Very hard work since I was already over-stocked with preps and for this trip added a 2 month long shopping spree to that.  Hopefully I can get it down to something reasonable by the time Eddie and the Missus arrive.  Then there is the CLEANUP!   ACCCCKKKKK!  :o

Anyhow, I needed a break so I sat down at the computer to come up with a recipe for Sunday Supper.  For some unknown reason, my years together with the Illuminati Spawn jumped into my head.  One day one of my friends told me about a new (and very trendy) Jamaican Bistro that had openned up down in the basement of some dilapidated building near CBGBs (a famous trendy Punk Rock club of the era). At the time I was Wooing the Illuminati Spawn, and this seemed like an ideal opportunity to take her out on the *relatively* cheap for a meal and seem COOL while I was doing it.  I wasn't rolling in dough yet, still in college at the time.

Anyhow, the place was even BETTER than my friend had described, a very colorful decor that had a real authentic Jamaican feel to it, all the waiters had dreadlocks and sounded like Bob Marley and the place REEKED of a combination of Jerk Spices and Ganja wafting into the dining area from the kitchen.  I ordered the Jerk Chicken🐔, and it was probably the best chicken🐔 I ever had, along with being the spiciest.  It was even hotter than the hottest flamethrower stuff served up in the Szechuan restaurants in Chinatown.  I've never tried duplicating that recipe and making a Jerk Chicken🐔 dish, maybe I will get to it before I buy my Ticket to the Great Beyond.  ::)

To tidy up the story with the Illuminati Spawn, the ploy WORKED, and I got into her pants FINALLY after a solid month of making failed pitches.  Persistence pays of with women.

RE

Jamaican Jerk Chicken🐔
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐄 🥥 Doomstead Diner Tuesday Dinner Special: 8/7/2018
« Reply #984 on: August 07, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
We missed the Monday Meat Special, so this week I am doing it on Tuesday.  :icon_sunny:  I seem to be a day behind here all the time now.  Anyhow, it's not Carved in Stone and Tuesday has always been open for just about anything, although I do tend to drop Fowl in on Tuesdays.

Today's Meat dish comes to us from Indonesia, where they don't eat a whole heck of a lot of beef but they do eat some.  Not generally the most tender cuts there though, so the meat dishes tend to get stewed and simmered in some way to make them a little less tough than shoe leather.  The flavors in the stew can be spectacular though, and worth waiting for through the long cook times

Not sure they are eating too much of this now though, at least on Lombok.  Collapse has arrived for those Indonesans.

RE

Indonesian Rampah (Beef🐄 & Coconut🥥
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 🦐 Doomstead Diner Thursday Lunch Special: 8/9/2018
« Reply #985 on: August 09, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Missed all meals again yesterday.  Another heavy prep day for the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure::)  Got started around 9AM, didn't quit for the day until after 11PM. Triage is coming along OK, I have eliminated a lot, although it's still a decent amount of stuff.  I think it can all be loaded in the Bugout Machine in under 30min by able bodied people though.

Today's Lunch is a 2-Appetizer meal, a format I haven't used in a while.

RE

Teriyaki Wings 🐔

Bacon🥓 Wrapped Jalapeno 🌶️ Shrimp🦐 Poppers
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:45:12 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🐔 🦐 Doomstead Diner Thursday Lunch Special: 8/9/2018
« Reply #986 on: August 09, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
Missed all meals again yesterday.  Another heavy prep day for the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure::)  Got started around 9AM, didn't quit for the day until after 11PM. Triage is coming along OK, I have eliminated a lot, although it's still a decent amount of stuff.  I think it can all be loaded in the Bugout Machine in under 30min by able bodied people though.

Teriyaki Wings 🐔

Tapas. You've invented tapas.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🐔 🦐 Doomstead Diner Thursday Lunch Special: 8/9/2018
« Reply #987 on: August 09, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

Teriyaki Wings 🐔

Tapas. You've invented tapas.

With food, somebody else always got there first with the recipe.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #988 on: August 09, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
I love those poppers. Many restaurants in this part of the world serve those as an appetizer, and I do order them fairly often.

Shrimp, cheese, bacon, jalapenos.....four of my favorite food groups.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥞 Doomstead Diner Friday Breakfast Special: 8/10/2018
« Reply #989 on: August 10, 2018, 01:43:27 AM »
If you are a Pancake🥞 and Fresh Fruit🍓 aficionado, this Breakfast is 4U!  It puts the Pancakes🥞 Front and Center in the Presentation, as opposed to on the side where you usually get them if you order them with a BIG BREAKFAST at IHOP.  Notice the Scrambled Eggs are drifting off in the background here.  The Bacon🥓 makes it onto the Main Dish though.  :icon_sunny:

Only thing I would change with this breakfast is I would have made Blueberry-Buckwheet pancakes🥞.  Otherwise, looks great, especially that perfect pinwheel of Maple Syrup dripping down.  How did he get that?  ???  :icon_scratch:

RE

Gourmet Pancake🥞 Breakfast
Save As Many As You Can