4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 87555 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 1/2/2018
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
Fillet Mignon & Eggs

Geez, that looks good. Wish we could eat.

Bleh.

You eat with your imagination.  :icon_sunny: That's how I do it.  Bonus you can eat as much as you want and never get fat!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
Fillet Mignon & Eggs

Geez, that looks good. Wish we could eat.

Bleh.

You eat with your imagination.  :icon_sunny: That's how I do it.  Bonus you can eat as much as you want and never get fat!

RE

I have more empathy for your plight than ever right now. Both Contrary and I laid up with the flu. She has been really diligent in caring for me, and now we are both flat on our asses. I took a grocery run by myself this PM and it liked to kill me. Wiped me out. This has set my recovery back at least a week. Managed to get some sherbet in both of us.

But that steak and eggs looked goooood.
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »

I have more empathy for your plight than ever right now. Both Contrary and I laid up with the flu. She has been really diligent in caring for me, and now we are both flat on our asses. I took a grocery run by myself this PM and it liked to kill me. Wiped me out. This has set my recovery back at least a week. Managed to get some sherbet in both of us.

Sorry to hear about the setback.  :(

Any excursion out of the digs is exausting for me.  I'm trying to get enough preps on any trip now to last a full week.  I last went out on Friday, I should make it to at least Thursday before I need to go out again.  I dread the days I have to go out as they approach.  When D-Day finaly arrives, I don't want to get out of bed.  My goal is usually to get out by 11when it is light enough out for safe driving, but I rarely make it before 1.  I take 800mg of Ibuprofen and sit down at the computer to get my shoes on and wait for it to kick in.  It makes the walking more tolerable.  I brush my Rat's Nest of hair back and cover it with a hat and I wobble out the door. I get myself into the car with one of my stools and head for a store with nice Cripple Carts.  I get out carefully checking for any ice patches and hang onto the door and steering wheel as I get out, terrified I will fall and not be able to get up.  When I make it in to the store I sit down on the Cripple Cart and sigh with relief.

Once in the store (usually Fred Myer or Walmart) I spend quite a while cruising the aisles and looking at all the food on the shelves I would love to buy and cook up, but which I know I will end up throwing out.  I fantasize about all the great meals I would be cooking for the Doomstead Diner.

It gets dark here by around 4 when  I get home.  I keep all the light in the place off, except for my computer screen, backlit keyboard and my smart phone there is no light.  I work my way to the refrigerator or toilet using my phone as a flashlight.  The light inside the fridge comes on automatically when I open the door, and it practically blinds me.

I have become the real life manifestation of Schrödinger's cat.  I am neither alive or dead; or I am both at the same time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »

I have become the real life manifestation of Schrödinger's cat.  I am neither alive or dead; or I am both at the same time.
RE

Is there any way you can get some in home help/care? Any options there?
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »

RE

I have thought about it but not acted on it as of yet.  Mat-Su Health Clinic where I go to the PA Bimbo for Primary Care Referals supposedly has some kind of Social Work department, the next time I am over there I will check into it and maybe make an appointment.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2018, 05:25:18 PM »

RE

I have thought about it but not acted on it as of yet.  Mat-Su Health Clinic where I go to the PA Bimbo for Primary Care Referals supposedly has some kind of Social Work department, the next time I am over there I will check into it and maybe make an appointment.

RE

Actually I am thinking a home health care nurse or personal helper.

The convocation was a year and a half ago, and it's like your physical condition has slid off the table. Medicare pays for this stuff, especially if you can tie it to your unsuccessful surgery.

It's a thought.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2018, 05:41:15 PM »

RE

RE

Actually I am thinking a home health care nurse or personal helper.

The convocation was a year and a half ago, and it's like your physical condition has slid off the table. Medicare pays for this stuff, especially if you can tie it to your unsuccessful surgery.

It's a thought.

Yea, I know there is some Home Health Care Medicaid/Medicare will pay for, but this is an aspect of the bureaucracy I have not yet negotiated.  I'll need to get more details from a Social Worker who hopefully is not a complete dimwit like my PA and NP at Mat-Su are.

Even if they won't pay, I could afford to have someone come and help me once or twice a week on errands and keeping the place neater, but finding someone reliable who I would trust is not EZ.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 1/2/2018
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
Chicken Paprikash

The mom of one of my college girlfriends taught me to make this recipe.  Hungarians.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 1/3/2018
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
Cinnamon Rolls!

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 1/3/2018
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »
Tongue Sandwich!

There are lots of ways to fix a tongue sandwich, my preference is the Jewish Deli method, JUST THE TONGUE on Rye with Jewish Mustard.  The center part is the best and most tender and FAT laden.

Sadly, I haven't run across a Deli that serves tongue sandwiches in well over a decade.  :(

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 1/3/2018
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2018, 06:18:00 PM »
Lobster Thermidor

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 1/4/2018
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2018, 07:04:49 AM »
Eggs!

How do you like yours best?  Take the Poll at the top of the page! (You can change your vote daily!  :icon_sunny:)

Scrambled, Sunny Side Up, Over Easy

Poached, Soft Boiled, Hard Boiled

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:07:49 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 1/4/2018
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
Note: There are a few other ways to fix eggs of course, but they usually require other ingredients.  You could do a Plain Omelette, but that's not much different from Scrambled.  Besides, everybody adds at least some cheese to an omelette.  You could do Deviled Eggs, but that's really just hard boiled with some mayo and whatever else you add when you mash up the yolks.

So I stuck to JUST THE EGGS!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
Note: There are a few other ways to fix eggs of course, but they usually require other ingredients.  You could do a Plain Omelette, but that's not much different from Scrambled.  Besides, everybody adds at least some cheese to an omelette.  You could do Deviled Eggs, but that's really just hard boiled with some mayo and whatever else you add when you mash up the yolks.

I do a variation of scrambled.  I crack the eggs directly into the hot pan as if I were cooking them over easy, and when the whites are mostly cooked but the yolks still liquid, I then stir them up in the pan until they are dry.  I know other people make scrambled eggs by cracking them in a bowl and whipping the whites and yolks together until they are uniform, sometimes with a little extra milk, and then heating them up.  My way gives them a lot more texture.

And then I pour on the ketchup  :icon_mrgreen:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »

I do a variation of scrambled.  I crack the eggs directly into the hot pan as if I were cooking them over easy, and when the whites are mostly cooked but the yolks still liquid, I then stir them up in the pan until they are dry.  I know other people make scrambled eggs by cracking them in a bowl and whipping the whites and yolks together until they are uniform, sometimes with a little extra milk, and then heating them up.  My way gives them a lot more texture.

And then I pour on the ketchup  :icon_mrgreen:

When I do scrambled, I do them the second way.  You have to beat them to get air into them and make them fluffy.  Using 1/2 & 1/2 instead of milk makes them even richer and fluffier. This also gives you an even distribution of yolk and white.  Then when cooking keep the flame medium low so they don't cook too fast and dry out. Push them around the pan for even cooking and slide onto the plate when they are JUST firming up.  They should have a slightly wet look to them.

Similarly, when I do boiled eggs I do a version between Hard & Soft.  I try to hit it so the yolk has JUST started to gel, with some liquid yolk left, but not as liquid as soft boiled.  The white has to be stiff enough though so you can peel the egg and bite into it.  Too soft and the liquid tends to drip out and you get egg stains on your shirt or pants.  I never make boiled eggs to eat at home though, they are a bag lunch item for me.  I hate the commercially made ones they are always way over cooked and look like this:

Way too dry.  I hate dry eggs.

The closest I can find to the consistency I like is this:

It's hard to hit this JUST right, the time can vary from around 6.5 to 7.5 minutes depending on the size of the egg and how cold it was when it went in the water and how many eggs you dropped in to do in one batch.

The only time I ever made poached eggs regularly was when I was married, making Eggs Benedict for me and the ex-wife for a big Sunday Breakfast.  I never do them just on their own.

I first liked my eggs most Sunny Side Up, I would eat the whites and then mop up the yolk with white toast.  Then I switched to scrambled, and nowadays I do Over EZ, bust the yolk on the plate and use it to make a sauce spread over the white part.  I still do scrambled occasionally, but I don't do the bowl with added milk anymore, too much of a pain in the ass and extra dish washing.  I crack the egg right in the pan and then immediately scramble and beat it and cook to the slightly wet look.  Not quite as good as the full version in the bowl, but quicker and easier.

In the voting, Over Easy is leading Scrambled 2:1.  No votes for other styles as of yet.

RE
Save As Many As You Can