4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76540 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🥢 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 1/31/2018
« Reply #225 on: January 31, 2018, 05:31:07 PM »
I'm going with a different base meat for each day of Chinese Take-Out week. I'll do one Vegan dish also. So far we covered Duck and Chicken, today we're going to go for the BEEF! 🥩  :icon_sunny:  I'm also going to use traditional Chinese Take-Out food, not anything esoteric.

RE

Pepper Steak
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2018, 04:40:56 AM »
My favorite Breakfast Cereal growing up.  Not overloaded with Sugar like Fruit Loops and Cornflakes.  Still a decent amount in there though.  ::)

RE

Cheerios
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #227 on: February 01, 2018, 05:02:22 AM »
My favorite Breakfast Cereal growing up.  Not overloaded with Sugar like Fruit Loops and Cornflakes.  Still a decent amount in there though.  ::)

RE

Cheerios

They were bad but no one really knew back in the old days.

Cornflakes with banana slices family favorite. Still remember my mother setting up the kitchen table with six bowls most school mornings for my brothers, sister and me. At least the banana slices were healthy.  :laugh:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #228 on: February 01, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »

They were bad but no one really knew back in the old days.

Cornflakes with banana slices family favorite. Still remember my mother setting up the kitchen table with six bowls most school mornings for my brothers, sister and me. At least the banana slices were healthy.  :laugh:

That's a step up from Count Chocula anyhow.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »
That's a step up from Count Chocula anyhow.  ::)

Yes indeed, might as well been having candy bars for breakfast.  :laugh:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥑 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
Going a little more healthy for lunch, although if you eat this whole salad yourself you're a PIG. 🐷  I don't know what Cobbs are either, I don't see anything that looks like a Cobb in there.

RE

Southwestern Cobb Salad
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2018, 01:18:20 PM »
Oh, come on. Surely you know why it's called a Cobb Salad.

It was named after Ty Cobb, the mean, politically incorrect racist who happened to be one of the best baseball players to ever take the field. Apparently he invented the Cobb Salad.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
Oh, come on. Surely you know why it's called a Cobb Salad.

It was named after Ty Cobb, the mean, politically incorrect racist who happened to be one of the best baseball players to ever take the field. Apparently he invented the Cobb Salad.

No, I didn't know it was named after Ty Cobb.  Who was Ty named after?  Corn Cobb?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
He was an amazing athlete

Cobb is widely credited with setting 90 MLB records during his career.[3][4][5][6] His combined total of 4,065 runs scored and runs batted in (after adjusting for home runs) is still the highest ever produced by any major league player. He still holds several records as of the end of the 2017 season, including the highest career batting average (.366 or .367, depending on source) and most career batting titles with 11 (or 12, depending on source).[7] He retained many other records for almost a half century or more, including most career hits until 1985 (4,189 or 4,191, depending on source),[8][9] most career runs (2,245 or 2,246 depending on source) until 2001,[10] most career games played (3,035) and at bats (11,429 or 11,434 depending on source) until 1974,[11][12] and the modern record for most career stolen bases (892) until 1977.[13] He still holds the career record for stealing home (54 times) and for stealing second base, third base, and home in succession (5 times), and as the youngest player ever to compile 4,000 hits and score 2,000 runs. Cobb ranks fifth all-time in number of games played and committed 271 errors, the most by any American League (AL) outfielder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Cobb

Another karma of fame thing.

His mother killed his father right before he started his pro career. He thought she was cheating and was stalking her outside her own window. She thought he was an intruder and shot him dead. Apparently Ty Cobb played to prove something to his dead father, who never wanted him to play baseball in the first place. Dad was a politician.

He got the first great endorsement contract, with Coca Cola (before income tax too!) He made a shit ton of money for that time.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2018, 02:07:06 PM »
Oops. I think that might be an urban myth on the Ty Cobb connection. Wiki says different. Guess I was wrong.

Origin[edit]
Various stories exist recounting how the salad was invented. One says that it came about in the 1930s at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant, where it became a signature dish. It is named for the restaurant's owner, Robert Howard Cobb.[1] Stories vary whether the salad was invented by Cobb or by his chef, Paul J. Posti. The legend is that Cobb had not eaten until near midnight, and so he mixed together leftovers he found in the kitchen, along with some bacon cooked by the line cook, and tossed it with their French dressing.[2]

Another version of the creation is that Robert Kreis, executive chef at the restaurant, created the salad in 1929 (the year the Brown Derby's Hollywood location opened) and named it in honor of Robert Cobb.[3] The same source confirms that 1937 was the reported date of the version noted above, with Cobb making the salad.

A third origin credits the Calistoga area of Northern California, where health seekers flocked for the healing hot springs and mud baths. Locals say it was on the menu at the Calistoga Inn as early as 1920, was named after nearby Cobb Mountain due to its mounding display, with the ingredients coming from an old written family favorite, suggested by a Mrs. Gorbett of Main Street in nearby St. Helena.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobb_salad

I stand corrected. Live and learn. Not sure what I did before the internet.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
He was an amazing athlete

Cobb is widely credited with setting 90 MLB records during his career.[3][4][5][6] His combined total of 4,065 runs scored and runs batted in (after adjusting for home runs) is still the highest ever produced by any major league player. He still holds several records as of the end of the 2017 season, including the highest career batting average (.366 or .367, depending on source) and most career batting titles with 11 (or 12, depending on source).[7] He retained many other records for almost a half century or more, including most career hits until 1985 (4,189 or 4,191, depending on source),[8][9] most career runs (2,245 or 2,246 depending on source) until 2001,[10] most career games played (3,035) and at bats (11,429 or 11,434 depending on source) until 1974,[11][12] and the modern record for most career stolen bases (892) until 1977.[13] He still holds the career record for stealing home (54 times) and for stealing second base, third base, and home in succession (5 times), and as the youngest player ever to compile 4,000 hits and score 2,000 runs. Cobb ranks fifth all-time in number of games played and committed 271 errors, the most by any American League (AL) outfielder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Cobb

Another karma of fame thing.

His mother killed his father right before he started his pro career. He thought she was cheating and was stalking her outside her own window. She thought he was an intruder and shot him dead. Apparently Ty Cobb played to prove something to his dead father, who never wanted him to play baseball in the first place. Dad was a politician.

He got the first great endorsement contract, with Coca Cola (before income tax too!) He made a shit ton of money for that time.

Another guy still fighting the Civil War.  lol.

Another round of Old Dixie pleez...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OKdbc0DYpM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5OKdbc0DYpM</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥢 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2018, 06:15:48 PM »
For tonight's Chinese Take-Out, we go to the Pig!  🐖  Spare Ribs were one of my favorite regular Chinese meals.  Many folks just have them as an appetizer, not a main dish, but I liked them so much I would go for the larger size big portion for dinner.  Dipped in Duck Sauce, just scrumptious! 😋 For a complete Chinese meal, I would add an Egg Roll and a pint of Won Ton Soup.

Spare Ribs
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥢 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 2/1/2018
« Reply #237 on: February 01, 2018, 06:26:41 PM »
For tonight's Chinese Take-Out, we go to the Pig!  🐖  Spare Ribs were one of my favorite regular Chinese meals.  Many folks just have them as an appetizer, not a main dish, but I liked them so much I would go for the larger size big portion for dinner.  Dipped in Duck Sauce, just scrumptious! 😋 For a complete Chinese meal, I would add an Egg Roll and a pint of Won Ton Soup.

Spare Ribs

No Chinese HOT mustard??

Pork or Chicken Won Ton Soup??

Chicken My favorite with tons of Chinese White pepper on top. MMMMM Fabulous   ::) ::) ;D :D

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2018, 06:33:18 PM »
No Chinese HOT mustard??

I had the Hot Mustard on the Egg Roll and also the little package of Fried Egg Noodles you got with your soup.  I wasn't picky with what was dropped into the Won Tons for meat.  Chicken, Pork, Cat, Dog, whatever.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2018, 06:49:53 PM »
No Chinese HOT mustard??

I had the Hot Mustard on the Egg Roll and also the little package of Fried Egg Noodles you got with your soup.  I wasn't picky with what was dropped into the Won Tons for meat.  Chicken, Pork, Cat, Dog, whatever.

RE

Gooks around here throw pork strips or chicken strips in the wonton soup no matter what the wontons are packed with.

I go for the chicken because it seems to go better with white pepper and I always have pork strips or ribs anyway so a bit of variety factors in. Nothing like Gook food late at night, especially if your a bit kucked.  :icon_mrgreen: