4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 36332 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🐖 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/12/2018
« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2018, 09:53:16 PM »
Back when I was doing my first BBQing in the "backyard" of the Flushing, Queens McMedium (nicer than a McHovel, not as big as a McMansion) I lived in until going off to the dorms at Columbia, this cut of Pork🐖 was my favorite to use.  First off it was CHEAP, and second it has lots of FAT. 😋  My recipe was simple, I would just baste on Saucy Susan Apricot Glaze a few times  while cooking slowly over a relatively low flame.  Other than cooking them myself over the years, I've never had them anywhere else.  No restaurants I ever hit had them on the menu.

RE

BBQ Country Ribs

You'd find these much more readily on the menu in this end of the country. Plenty of baby back ribs and rib joints in VA and NC.
I would expect that these would be on the Diner Smoker every day.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 🐖 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/12/2018
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:44 PM »
Back when I was doing my first BBQing in the "backyard" of the Flushing, Queens McMedium (nicer than a McHovel, not as big as a McMansion) I lived in until going off to the dorms at Columbia, this cut of Pork🐖 was my favorite to use.  First off it was CHEAP, and second it has lots of FAT. 😋  My recipe was simple, I would just baste on Saucy Susan Apricot Glaze a few times  while cooking slowly over a relatively low flame.  Other than cooking them myself over the years, I've never had them anywhere else.  No restaurants I ever hit had them on the menu.

RE

BBQ Country Ribs

You'd find these much more readily on the menu in this end of the country. Plenty of baby back ribs and rib joints in VA and NC.
I would expect that these would be on the Diner Smoker every day.

Baby Back Ribs and Spare Ribs I find all the time on the menu at various bars and BBQ joints.  But not the Country Ribs.  Probably more in the south though.

RE
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:51:34 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/13/2018
« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2018, 06:00:13 AM »
This morning's Soup🥣4Breakfast comes to us from Tunisia!  Chick Peas, Capers, Greens, edible flowers, looks yummy.  Never had it.

RE

Lablabi
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍱 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/13/2017
« Reply #423 on: March 13, 2018, 09:08:08 AM »
A truly GREAT invention from the Masters of Miniaturization, the Japanese!  The Bento Box🍱.  Instead of one BIG dish, you get 4-8 small dishes to sample from the Nip Cookbook.  There are of course endless variations on this theme also, so we will feature more Bento Boxes🍱 for Lunch in the future.  You don't have to JUST stuff Nip Foods into your Bento Box🍱 either, you can pick whatever you like.  Here at the Diner, you can select small samples of EVERYTHING on our menu, which of course has everything you can Google up!  ;D  It's a relatively light lunch meal, so good if you are watching your weight.

Sticking to strictly Nip foods, my ideal Bento Box would have a Sashimi compartment, a Sushi Roll, Shrimp & Veggie Tempura, Miso Soup, Japanese Seaweed Salad, and Beef Teriyaki in it.  Haven't found that combination online, but this one looks pretty good.

RE

Bento Box #1
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/13/2018
« Reply #424 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:13 PM »
A new Ethnic Food for dinner tonight, Vietnamese!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Lemongrass Chicken🐔
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/14/2018
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2018, 04:05:06 AM »
Here's a nice change for your Bacon🥓 & Eggs🍳!  :icon_sunny:  Soup🥣4Breakfast at the Diner!

RE

Bacon🥓 & Egg🍳 Miso Soup🥣
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2018, 05:37:01 AM »
Damn. The time change is making me hungry for breakfast. But I want biscuits and gravy.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2018, 06:09:11 AM »
Damn. The time change is making me hungry for breakfast. But I want biscuits and gravy.

We serve that PUKE🤮 at the Diner too!  ;D

Enjoy!  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 14, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »
Mmmm. Gimme three eggs over easy and a side of Hollandaise to go with that, Cookie.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 14, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
Mmmm. Gimme three eggs over easy and a side of Hollandaise to go with that, Cookie.

No problem.  ;D

Here's your 3 eggs Over EZ

Here's your side of Hollandaise.

What, no MEAT?  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/14/2017
« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2018, 09:42:50 AM »
Lunch today is a STEAK🥩 Sandwich!  I have been keeping a low profile on STEAK🥩 as best I can and trying to sprinkle an even distribution of food types, but I LOVE❤️ STEAK!🥩

STEAK🥩 Sandwiches come in many varieties of course, but probably the most popular type is the "Philly Cheese Steak🥩" variety.  This because it uses a really CHEAP cut of steak sliced thin so it's relatively EZ to chew through.  I prefer classier STEAK🥩 sandwiches with better cuts of BEEF🐄, but we'll start with this one due to its general popularity and Low, Low Price Every Day at the Diner :icon_sunny:

RE

Philly Cheese Steak🥩
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:55:07 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍲 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/14/2018
« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
What do Terrorists and Towel Heads eat to have enough energy for beheadings and suicide bombings? ???   :icon_scratch: That was my question for tonight's Dinner Special here at the Diner.  Don't ask me WTF is in this stew, I just know there are Herbs in it.  What herbs I have no idea.  Maybe some Ganja?  :icon_sunny:  You will have to ask Mohamed our chief Iranian Chef and former Ayatollah before emigrating and coming to work here at the Diner.

RE

Ghormeh Sabzi
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/15/2018
« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »
Today's Breakfast Soup🥣 comes to us from Burma (Myanmar).  Soup🥣4Breakfast at the Diner :icon_sunny:

RE

Burmese Breakfast Stew🥣
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍝 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/15/2017
« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »
We're going Itie Pasta today for Lunch, with Manicotti.  Like Calzones and Burritos and other foods with fillings, the variations are endless.  We'll begin this series also with the basic, Cheese Manicotti, variations will come in the future.  You can also vary the sauce and toppings you use on it.  Back in the day when I had at least SOME appetite  ::), the frozen version produced by Michelina's was a regular part of my diet.  This precooked and frozen packaged food comes in really cheap for your lunch, it used to sell up here for $0.90, now coming in at $1.10.  A 20% inflation rate, but still cheap by Amerikan standards.  It was one of my lunch mainstays while I was still working, it's pretty good.  I no longer can even finish this for a dinner meal.  It goes back in the fridge for another try the next day.

Wanna know how long it took me to eat 1 can of Campbell's Chunky Italian Wedding Soup this week?  5 days!  In the first try, I got nauseous followed by a 1 hour long retching and coughing fit after 3 spoonfuls.  I couldn't bring myself to try again until 2 days later, when it went down somewhat better, and over the next 2 days managed to finish it without throwing out the leftovers, which is common for me now.  I probably throw out half of what I buy now because I can't finish it fast enough.  ::)

Anyhow, if you have a normal appetite, Manicotti is great for lunch, and also great as a dinner side dish.  You don't have to buy the frozen Michelinas, this is pretty EZ to make yourself and then put in the fridge or freeze for later microwaving.  If you DIY, you can customize the stuffing with what you like.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Cheese Manicotti
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/15/2018
« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
Nowadays, most Amerikans only eat Roast Beef🥩 sliced thin on a hero from a Deli, it's not a Dinner meal usually.  Takes too long to cook.  It's also usually commercially cooked roast beef by a corporation like Boar's Head, and is WAY overcooked.🤮

Roast beef🥩, usually bottom round was though my sister's favorite dinner meal before she eloped in her HS Senior year when she was 17.  Went down to VA to get the marriage done, it was legal then there at that time.  Bad choice, bad marriage, but it was her choice to do it.  Divorce after about 5 years and 2 kids, second marriage worked out OK.

Making a good roast beef🥩 is a real art form, because the cuts used are fairly tough so you need long cook times to tenderize them, but this can also overcook and dry out the meat.  The one below looks properly done.

RE

Roast Beef
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN