4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 53373 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #450 on: March 19, 2018, 04:21:57 AM »
They sure look delicious, but there are some items where you just have to be a traditionalist.  :laugh: :icon_sunny:

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🥟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/19/2018
« Reply #451 on: March 19, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
It's Appetizer🥟4Lunch Week here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

Appetizers🥟 make great Lunch meals if you're not that hungry and they cost less than meals on the main menu.  If you are hungry, you can always order 2 of them.  :icon_sunny:

Diners are :hi: to submit their own favorite Appetizers🥟4Lunch this week also.  Two rules for submissions:

1- Maximum of 2 appetizers🥟 per meal unless it's on a sampler plate.

2- Appetizers must come from the same type of restaurant.  e.g. you can't put a Chinese appetizer with a Mexican one.

To kick off, we'll have a Sampler Plate of typical Bar Appetizers🥟.

Bar Appetizer Sampler #1
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:57:04 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🥟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/19/2018
« Reply #452 on: March 19, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
It's Appetizer🥟4Lunch Week hear at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

Appetizers🥟 make great Lunch meals if you're not that hungry and they cost less than meals on the main menu.  If you are hungry, you can always order 2 of them.  :icon_sunny:

Diners are :hi: to submit their own favorite Appetizers🥟4Lunch this week also.  Two rules for submissions:

Bar Appetizer Sampler #1

A great idea and a thing of beauty.

Should come with one of these:

And one of these:
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #453 on: March 19, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »
Greek appetizers:

Greek Appetizer Meatballs with Goat Cheese Tzatziki Dip

and

Spanikopita

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 19, 2018, 02:00:52 PM »
Greek appetizers:

Greek Appetizer Meatballs with Goat Cheese Tzatziki Dip

and

Spanikopita

Nice choices!  Spanikopita is a favorite, never had the Greek Meatballs.  Also good choice because Greek appetizers was not on my list for the week so it won't duplicate any of the ones I have in the queue for the daily lunch special.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/19/2018
« Reply #455 on: March 19, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
It's Monday MEAT🥩 night for dinner here at the Diner.  Always a personal favorite of mine.  :icon_sunny:  BEEF!🥩  It's What's for Dinner!

For tonight's cut, we're going with Flank Steak🥩.  This is one of your cheaper cuts of beef🥩, and is leaner than cuts like Ribeye or Ribs loaded with FAT.  As such, it takes a little more in the way of preparation to tenderize it, and it's not a good cut for the BBQ.  Generally speaking, you want to pound the living shit out of it with a meat🥩 mallet and also marinate in a slightly acidic marinade to help break down the muscle fibers before forking into it and chewing on it.  You also want to slice it across the grain which makes the chewing much easier.  One decent size Flank Steak🥩 will serve a family of 4 nicely with a Baked Potato🥔 from your Potato Tower🥔 and a Veggie🥦 from your Garden or Hydroponics setup.  You can get your Red Meat🥩 fix and also keep your budget💲 within reason this way.

Many recipes available for Flank Steak🥩.  One of my Aunts made a very good one I remember eating as a kid before going to Brazil.  No idea what her recipe was though.

RE

Dry-Rubbed Flank Steak🥩 with Grilled Corn🌽 Salsa
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:18:30 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍩 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/20/2018
« Reply #456 on: March 20, 2018, 01:14:37 AM »
Lox🐟 is not the ONLY thing you can drop on a Bagel🍩4Breakfast, in fact you can put just about anything on a B🍩4B.  The key of course is to get a good fresh baked NY Style Bagel.  If you have that, just a schmear of Cream Cheese is enough to make it a tasty breakfast.  Today's offering on Special is pretty loaded though.  ::)

RE

Bagel🍩 Egg🍳 in a Hole
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3//2018
« Reply #457 on: March 20, 2018, 11:32:15 AM »

Since the Diner is located right on the Wharf in Bar Harbor...

...we have a World Class selection of seafood🐟, both locally sourced and flown in daily from all parts of the Globe🌎.

The Good Ship⛵ Doomstead Diner is on the other side of the building, tied up, stocked with preps and ready to make a fast bugout to an undisclosed location when TSHTF.

Today we feature 2 Appetizers on Special which are perennial favorites among our Seafood lovers.

RE

Raw Oysters & Maryland Crab🦀 Cakes

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/20/2018
« Reply #458 on: March 20, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
Going Indonesian for tonight's Dinner Special.  We haven't offered any of our Indonesian main courses on Special as of yet, but they offer a great selection of Chicken🐔 dishes particularly.  They don't raise much beef in Indonesia.  Chicken🐔 and Fish🐟 are the main choices.  We will feature other Indonesian chicken🐔 dishes on Chicken🐔 night here at the Diner.

RE

Ayam Masak Rempah dan Santan Chicken🐔 Braised in Spices and Coconut Milk
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:33:35 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/20/2018
« Reply #459 on: March 20, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Going Indonesian for tonight's Dinner Special.  We haven't offered any of our Indonesian main courses on Special as of yet, but they offer a great selection of Chicken🐔 dishes particularly.  They don't raise much beef in Indonesia.  Chicken🐔 and Fish🐟 are the main choices.  We will feature other Indonesian chicken🐔 dishes on Chicken🐔 night here at the Diner.

RE

You make me realize I've never eaten an Indonesian anything. Not so much as a cookie.
Gonna have to fix that.

Helluva kitchen at the Diner, ain't it?

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌌 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/20/2018
« Reply #460 on: March 20, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »

RE

You make me realize I've never eaten an Indonesian anything. Not so much as a cookie.
Gonna have to fix that.

Helluva kitchen at the Diner, ain't it?

Many if not most of these dishes I have never had myself either.  Certainly never prepared most of them myself.  However, that's the great thing about the "Virtual Kitchen" of the Doomstead Diner.  Nothing is out of reach for the menu.  :icon_sunny:  I have my Imaginary perfect restaurant, and since I can't fucking eat any of the stuff anyhow, the pics are good enough for me in my mind's eye (and tastebuds).  When I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond, I will be the proprietor & Chief Cook & Bottlewasher of the Restaurant at the End of the Universe🌌:icon_sunny:

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/21/2018
« Reply #461 on: March 21, 2018, 01:36:15 AM »
Fancy Breakfast this morning.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Lobster🦀 Eggs🍳 Benedict
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥟 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/21/2018
« Reply #462 on: March 21, 2018, 01:00:17 PM »

Today we are going Chinese for our Appetizers.  Normally I would have used my two standard appetizers for a Chinese Lunch, 2 Egg Rolls and a small order of Spare Ribs🍖.  However, I recall having used both Egg Rolls🌯 and Spare Ribs🍖 in prior Specials and I try not to repeat recipes.  So today we go for two more very popular Chinese appetizers.  For the Dim Sum🥟, I like Chinese Hot Mustard as my Dipping Sauce.  General Tso's Chicken🐔 doesn't need dipping sauce, it's already drenched in a Sweet and Spicy sauce.

RE

Dim Sum🥟 Sampler & General Tso's Chicken🐔

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌭 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/21/2018
« Reply #463 on: March 21, 2018, 07:31:52 PM »
Going Kraut for Dinner tonight! Kraut Beer to wash it down with.  8.2% of Gonzo Beer!!! :icon_sunny:

RE

Bratwurst & Sauerkraut & German Beer

Schneider Weisse Tap 6, 8.2%: 4.20 per 500ml, Beer Gonzo
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:49:44 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/22/2018
« Reply #464 on: March 22, 2018, 06:47:14 AM »
This probably could qualify as another Egg🍳 Preparation other than the basic ones listed in the Poll at the top of the page.  However, like Quiches, Souffles are generally prepared with other ingredients like cheese, various meats and veggies.  Nobody makes a plain Egg🍳 Souffle, it's way too much work.  It's also not EZ to get just right, I've made them on a few occasions.  Audrey Hepburn had problems with making this dish too, so I'm not alone there. lol

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/t6mzUs8TEDo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/t6mzUs8TEDo</a>

Garlic, Chive & Cheese Souffle
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN