4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76815 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/30/2018
« Reply #495 on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
We're eating light for lunch today for the Special in preparation for a major Stuffed4Dinner meal.  ;D

On the table today for the Lunch Special is the Diner version of a Seafood Salad or Crab🦀 Salad.  Here is the normal Seafood Salad you get when you buy one at the Food Superstore:

Looks like scrumptious Crab in there, doesn't it?  It's not really, it's an industrially produced fish product called Surimi.  Here's what you did not want to know about Surimi:

Surimi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the Neuroticfish album, see Surimi (album).
A tub of uncured fish surimi ready for processing
Crab sticks – imitation crab meat made from surimi

Surimi (Japanese: 擂り身 / すり身, "ground meat") refers to a paste made from fish or other meat. It can also refer to a number of Asian foods that use surimi as their primary ingredients. It is available in many shapes, forms, and textures, and often used to mimic the texture and color of the meat of lobster, crab, and other shellfish.

The most common surimi product in the Western market is imitation crab meat. Such a product often is sold as krab, imitation crab and mock crab in the United States, and as seafood sticks, crab sticks, fish sticks, seafood highlighter or seafood extender in Commonwealth nations. In Britain the product is sometimes known as Seafood sticks, to avoid breaching trading standards rules on false advertising.

Contents

1 History
    2 Production
        2.1 Fish surimi
        2.2 Meat surimi
    3 Uses and products
    4 Chemistry of surimi curing
    5 List of surimi foods
    6 See also
    7 References
    8 Further reading
    9 External links

History

The process for making surimi was developed in many areas of East Asia over several centuries though the exact history and origins of this product are unclear. In China, the food was used to make fish balls (魚蛋/魚丸) and ingredients in a thick soup known as "Geng" (羹) common in Fujian cuisine. In Japan, it is used in the making of numerous kamaboko, fish sausage, or cured surimi products.

The industrialized surimi-making process was refined in 1969 by Nishitani Yōsuke of Japan's Hokkaidō Fisheries Experiment Institute to process the increased catch of fish, to revitalize Japan's fish industry, and to make use of what used to be considered "fodder fish".[citation needed] Surimi industrial technology developed by Japan in the early 1960s promoted the growth of the surimi industry. The successful growth of the industry was based on the Alaska pollock (or walleye pollock). Subsequently, production of Alaska pollock surimi declined and was supplemented by surimi production using other species.

Two to three million tons of fish from around the world, amounting to 2–3 percent of the world fisheries' supply, are used for the production of surimi and surimi-based products. The United States and Japan are major producers of surimi and surimi-based products. Thailand has become an important producer. China’s role as producer is increasing. Many newcomers to the surimi industry have emerged, including Lithuania, Vietnam, Chile, the Faroe Islands, France, and Malaysia.[1]
Production
Sugiyo Crab stick "Kaori-bako"

Lean meat from fish or land animals is first separated or minced. The meat then is rinsed numerous times to eliminate undesirable odors. The result is beaten and pulverized to form a gelatinous paste. Depending on the desired texture and flavor of the surimi product, the gelatinous paste is mixed with differing proportions of additives such as starch, egg white, salt, vegetable oil, humectants, sorbitol, sugar, soy protein, seasonings, and enhancers such as transglutaminases and monosodium glutamate (MSG).

If the surimi is to be packed and frozen, food-grade cryoprotectants are added as preservatives while the meat paste is being mixed.[2][3] Under most circumstances, surimi is processed immediately into a formed and cured product.
Fish surimi

Typically the resulting paste, depending on the type of fish and whether it was rinsed in the production process, is tasteless and must be flavored artificially. According to the United States Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database, fish surimi contains about 76% water, 15% protein, 6.85% carbohydrate, and 0.9% fat.[4]

In North America and Europe, surimi also alludes to fish-based products manufactured using this process. A generic term for fish-based surimi in Japanese is "fish-puréed products" (魚肉練り製品 gyoniku neri seihin).

The fish used to make surimi include:

Alaska pollock (Theragra chalcogramma)
    Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua)
    Big-head pennah croaker (Pennahia macrocephalus[5])
    Bigeyes (Priacanthus arenatus[6])
    Golden threadfin bream (Nemipterus virgatus)
    Milkfish (Chanos chanos)
    Pacific whiting (Merluccius productus)
    Various shark species
    Swordfish (Xiphias gladius)
    Tilapia
        Oreochromis mossambicus
        Oreochromis niloticus niloticus
    Black bass
        Smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu)
        Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides)
        Florida black bass (Micropterus floridanus)

At the Diner, all our Crab🦀 Salads are made using REAL Alaskan King Crab🦀!  No Fake Industrial Crab🦀 here!

Crab🦀 Salad

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🦀 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/30/2018
« Reply #496 on: March 30, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
We're eating light for lunch today for the Special in preparation for a major Stuffed4Dinner meal.  ;D

Looks like scrumptious Crab in there, doesn't it?  It's not really, it's an industrially produced fish product called Surimi.  Here's what you did not want to know about Surimi:

At the Diner, all our Crab🦀 Salads are made using REAL Alaskan King Crab🦀!  No Fake Industrial Crab🦀 here!

Crab🦀 Salad

RE
[/quote]

Any time I see that stuff in evidence, I'll give it a pass. Eeesh. Now that I know what's in it...
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/30/2018
« Reply #497 on: March 30, 2018, 05:43:53 PM »
It's Friday Fish🐟 night here at the Diner, AND it's Stuffed4Dinner Week also.  :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: You know what that means of course. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE CHOICE!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_J3VeogFUOs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_J3VeogFUOs</a>

Alaskan King Crab🦀 Stuffed Maine Lobster!

Like the Cavity left in Fowl🦃 after you gut it, the thoracic cavity of a lobster has about nothing worthwhile in it for consumption by Homo Sap.  Once you empty it out, it provides a great little baking dish for your stuffing, whatever you choose for this, and there are as usual about infinite recipes.  My own incorporates Shrimp🦐 & Scallops as well as Crab🦀.  Baking Lobster is a more difficult preparation of course than the usual Steaming or Boiling, your Temperature needs to be just right and this depends on the size of the lobster.  We offered this occasionally on the menu at Capsuto Freres.  Very pricy, around $100 in 1980s dollars as I recall.  My job was generally to gut the lobsters, I didn't make the stuffing but I know how to do it.

Alaskan King Crab🦀 Stuffed Maine Lobster
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:46:57 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 3/31/2018
« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2018, 04:00:31 AM »
For the Breakfast Special this morning, you can Eat Like an Egyptian!   :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cv6tuzHUuuk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Cv6tuzHUuuk</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FYbavuReVF4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FYbavuReVF4</a>

These are various versions of "Faul", pronounced "Foul" and made with a base of Fava Beans.  Served with Human Liver and Chianti if you like, we nail a few Zombies every night trying to invade the Diner.

Egyptian Breakfast Faul

RE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:17:54 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2018, 06:38:23 AM »
Last night we had the local roti.  I had the chicken. It's literally a chicken curry burrito, although roti is more correctly just the actual bread  part. (It's a fuckin' tortilla, gimme a break.)

I was curious as to how an Indian dish became a Caribbean staple. Slavery, of course!

Caribbean
Roti is eaten widely across the Caribbean, especially in countries with large Indo-Caribbean populations such as Trinidad and Tobago,[15] Guyana, Suriname and Jamaica.[16][17] Originally brought to the islands by indentured laborers from the Indian subcontinent, roti has become a popular staple in the culturally rich cuisines of Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Guyana, and Jamaica. In the Caribbean, roti is commonly eaten as an accompaniment to various curries and stews. The traditional way of eating roti is to break the roti by hand, using it to sop up sauce and pieces of meat from the curry. However, in the Caribbean, the term roti may refer to both the flat-bread (roti) itself as well as the more popular street food item, in which the roti is folded around a savory filling in the form of a wrap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti#Caribbean
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
Last night we had the local roti.  I had the chicken. It's literally a chicken curry burrito, although roti is more correctly just the actual bread  part. (It's a fuckin' tortilla, gimme a break.)

I was curious as to how an Indian dish became a Caribbean staple. Slavery, of course!

Caribbean
Roti is eaten widely across the Caribbean, especially in countries with large Indo-Caribbean populations such as Trinidad and Tobago,[15] Guyana, Suriname and Jamaica.[16][17] Originally brought to the islands by indentured laborers from the Indian subcontinent, roti has become a popular staple in the culturally rich cuisines of Trinidad and Tobago, Suriname, Guyana, and Jamaica. In the Caribbean, roti is commonly eaten as an accompaniment to various curries and stews. The traditional way of eating roti is to break the roti by hand, using it to sop up sauce and pieces of meat from the curry. However, in the Caribbean, the term roti may refer to both the flat-bread (roti) itself as well as the more popular street food item, in which the roti is folded around a savory filling in the form of a wrap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti#Caribbean

Pics!  We need PICS!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌯 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 3/31/2018
« Reply #501 on: March 31, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »
Since Eddie did not provide us with PICS from the VI, here is the Diner Version of Roti🌯.

RE

Roti🌯

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 3/31/2018
« Reply #502 on: March 31, 2018, 03:17:22 PM »
How do you separate the Greek🏛️ Men from the Lambs?

With a Crowbar!

OK, I modified that old joke a bit here for the Diner Menu thread.  However, if no Boys are available, a Baby Lamb🐑 is a good substitute.  :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously food wise though, when you talk Lamb🐑 Recipes, you gotta Go Greek🏛️ Style.  Greeks🏛️ are the champs with the lambs.

Also could not get through Stuffed4Dinner Specials week without one of the most often stuffed meat cuts, Boneless Leg of Lamb🐑.  They are great for stuffing since the bone removal process leaves a nice cavity to stuff with the ingredients of your choice.

Unlike Beef🐄 which I prefer still Mooing and near raw on the inside, Lamb🐑 IMHO should be cooked more to Medium, although not Well Done.  This preparation appears about right and the stuffing is real traditional Greek🏛️.  Many other good stuffings possible of course, to be Featured for Diner Specials in the future.

RE

Kale, Feta & Olive Stuffed Leg of Lamb🐑
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Sunday Smörgåsbord Special: 4/1/2018
« Reply #503 on: April 01, 2018, 01:10:48 AM »
The  Friday Fish Special of Crab Stuffed Lobster left me hankering for more, so today I loaded up at the Seafood Table at the Diner.  Do we have a great Seafood Buffet or what?  :icon_sunny:

I admit to being a little Piggish🐷 today.  ;D

RE

Seafood Sunday Brunch
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/1/2018
« Reply #504 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
To finish Stuffed4Dinner Week here of Diner Specials, there also can be ONLY ONE choice, Lobster Stuffed Filet Mignon🥩!  :icon_sunny: Normally very pricey and served only to the Rich Fucks who drop in for Dinner after a flight up to Bar Harbor from Wall Street in their Private Jets, we periodically will offer it at a Discount Price to regular Diners who are on a tight budget.  You have to show us either your Tax Return or your Unemployment or SS Statement or SNAP Card to qualify for the low price.  We take SNAP Cards at the Diner.  We have a sliding scale on the price for this one, and discounts start once you are below the median income.  If you fall below the poverty level, your Dinner comes FREE  :icon_sunny: courtesy of the exorbitant prices we charge the Rich Fucks.  This is the Diner Way of Wealth Redistribution.  ;D

RE

Lobster Stuffed Filet Mignon🥩
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 01, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
We went to a local place here last night, Cocomaya. Tapas place. Not bad.

We had two different kinds of sushi, bbq ribs, seafood lettuce wraps, some sliders and fries, followed by their chocolate plate and churros with homemade milk sorbet.

http://cocomayarestaurant.com/

Even though they're a beach place, they didn't get nailed too bad. Open air. A restaurant next door that was on a concrete pier was completely wiped off the face of the earth by the storm surge.

The palm trees in those photos are gone though.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/2/2018
« Reply #506 on: April 02, 2018, 03:07:28 AM »
It's Fish4Breakfast Week here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

You don't normally find fish🐟 on the menu for breakfast at most FSoA Restaurants (no fish on the menu at IHOP  :( even in Alaska), but it is very popular globally as part of the breakfast meal.  We will feature some of the variations this week as Specials here at the Diner.

A particular favorite of mine is fresh Lake Trout🐟 thrown on the skillet right after you catch it, it's even better than Bacon with your Eggs!  :icon_sunny:  A little Butter, Lemon and Garlic, it's a meal fit for a King!

Grilled Trout🐟

RE
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:13:05 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/2//2018
« Reply #507 on: April 02, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
What to do with Leftover Roast Beef🥩? ???  :icon_scratch: Make a Melt out of it for Lunch!  :icon_sunny:

We almost always had leftover Roast Beef🥩 when we made that for Dinner back in My House in Flushing.  Usually Bottom Round cut, around 2 lbs, which for 3 people (me mom and sis) is quite a bit of meat to eat in one meal.  So there was usually 1/2-1 lb of leftover BEEF!

The main issue here though is slicing it thin enough to make a good sandwich if you don't have a professional electric powered rotary meat slicer that will cut really thin slices.  I never had one of those back then.  So meat slicing had to be done by hand with a nice long knife, but about as thin as I could get was 1/8" this way.  You want to slice this cut of meat thin so it's not too chewy.  If I still had an appetite, I would buy an electric meat slicer to make my own roast beef sandwiches (and Turkey, Chicken etc).

This Roast Beef🥩 Melt looks quite good.  I already have the George Foreman electric grill to do the melt for this!  :icon_sunny:

RE

Roast Beef🥩 Melt

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/2/2018
« Reply #508 on: April 02, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
It's Monday Meat🥩 night on Special here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

For tonight's dish, we are going with Beef🥩 Stroganoff.  I learned  to make this dish from the mom of my 1st college girlfriend (not the Illuminati Spawn) who was the daughter of a Hungarian professor of Anthropology who name her Asnat.  He was divorced from mom, who was a pretty hot ticket herself although unfortunately the only things I learned from her were how to make Beef🥩 Stroganoff and Chicken🐔 Paprikash.  :(

RE

Beef🥩 Stroganoff
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/3/2018
« Reply #509 on: April 03, 2018, 02:19:29 AM »
It's Fish🐟4Breakfast Week here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

Heading down to Thailand for today's Fish🐟4Breakfast meal.  Some rice🍚 to go along with this is recommended.

Thai red fish curry🐟

RE
Save As Many As You Can