4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76840 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍅 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/3/2018
« Reply #510 on: April 03, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »
This was a favorite of mine as an alternative to a Tuna🐟 Sandwich when I wasn't in a bread kind of mood, which was fairly often.  I'm not a big fan of carbs in general, I've been mostly paleo all my life even before I knew what a paleo diet was.

Now you might think you are wasting a lot of good tomato🍅 from the inside when you make one of these, but you're not.  You take the guts of the tomato🍅 and blend it up with oil, balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, sour cream, parmesan cheese etc to make a dressing which you drizzle over the tomato and a surrounding bed of the greens of your choice.

Same as with making a good Tuna🐟 Fish sandwich, the most important aspect is the consistency to which you blend up the Tuna🐟 with the Mayonnaise, and what ingredients you add to that mixture.  A little lemon juice is good to cut the fishiness🐟 and a little balsamic vinegar adds some sweet & tart flavor.  Black Pepper also perks it up.  The key though is not to add too much Mayo or too little.  Too much is too gooey and too little too chunky.  Also you need to mash up the Tuna well, don't be lazy about this.

A good accompaniment to a Tuna Stuffed Tomato🍅 is a bowl of a favorite soup🥣.  I usually had a Minestrone Soup🥣 from Progresso with this meal.

Tuna Stuffed Tomato🍅

Minestrone Soup🥣

RE
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 11:19:34 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/3/2018
« Reply #511 on: April 03, 2018, 05:19:04 PM »
This dish could have fit last week's Stuffed4Dinner preparations, but I covered fowl🐔 with the Cornish Game Hens🐔, so it got left out.  We can still put it on Special this week though!  :icon_sunny:

Chicken🐔 Kiev

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/4/2018
« Reply #512 on: April 04, 2018, 01:50:09 AM »
It's Fish🐟4Breakfast on Special this week here at the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Today it's not exactly Fish🐟, but rather Fish🐟 Eggs!  AKA Salmon Roe, Red Caviar or Ikura in Japanese.  Below pictured are Salmon Eggs with scrambled chicken eggs🍳.  This is pretty much the simplest breakfast preparation you can do with caviar, so I started off with this one.  More will come in the future.

It's not as expensive as you might think, because you don't need more than a Tablespoon to perk up your eggs.  A little more costly than Bacon, but not by that much.

Scrambled Eggs🍳 with Red Caviar

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/3/2018
« Reply #513 on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:17 AM »
This dish could have fit last week's Stuffed4Dinner preparations, but I covered fowl🐔 with the Cornish Game Hens🐔, so it got left out.  We can still put it on Special this week though!  :icon_sunny:

Chicken🐔 Kiev

RE

A perennial favorite!

IMO,much better than fish for breakfast.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/3/2018
« Reply #514 on: April 04, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »

Chicken🐔 Kiev

RE

A perennial favorite!

IMO,much better than fish for breakfast.

If you live in Alaska, fish is great with any meal!  As we like to say here, "FISH!  It's What's 4 Dinner!"  :icon_sunny:

I do admit I like beef, pork, chicken, lamb, veal...also though. Or at least I used to.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌭 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/4/2018
« Reply #515 on: April 04, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
Today's Lunch Special is another of our Gourmet Hot Dogs🌭, this one Asian inspired and put together by our Asian Chef, Won Long Dong.  :icon_mrgreen:  It comes in both the moderate 8" length pictured here as well as the Foot Long.

Gang Nam style Hot Dog🌭 with roasted pork belly, cucumber, nori, sesame seeds and chili sauce

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍝 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/4/2018
« Reply #516 on: April 04, 2018, 02:59:58 PM »
For tonight's Special, it's Leftover Spaghetti🍝!  :icon_sunny:

We often have a lot of Leftover Spaghetti🍝 at the Diner due to the large number of meals we serve and the fact it gets ordered as a side dish with many meals, particularly the Itie inspired creations of Benito Mussolini, our Italian Chef.

There are great ways to make a meal out of Leftover Spaghetti🍝, my sister's was among the simplist which is just to take your spaghetti🍝 from last night you didn't finish and then just saute it up in butter to heat it up and poof another night of good eating and less food wastage!  This was before the era of Microwaves of course, today you just take the tupperware container with last night's spaghetti🍝 and toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it's also ready to eat.  The butter though does give it more flavor and a new texture (some of it comes out crispy depending how long you sautee) and is a different meal experience than the original spaghetti.

There are even more ways to redo leftover spaghetti🍝 to be featured in the future as Specials on at the Diner.  This keeps our prices down and profit margin up!  Keeping the Diner doors open in these days of collapsing retail is not EZ.

Leftover Spaghetti

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🍝 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/4/2018
« Reply #517 on: April 04, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
For tonight's Special, it's Leftover Spaghetti🍝!  :icon_sunny:

We often have a lot of Leftover Spaghetti🍝 at the Diner due to the large number of meals we serve and the fact it gets ordered as a side dish with many meals, particularly the Itie inspired creations of Benito Mussolini, our Italian Chef.

There are great ways to make a meal out of Leftover Spaghetti🍝, my sister's was among the simplist which is just to take your spaghetti🍝 from last night you didn't finish and then just saute it up in butter to heat it up and poof another night of good eating and less food wastage!  This was before the era of Microwaves of course, today you just take the tupperware container with last night's spaghetti🍝 and toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes and it's also ready to eat.  The butter though does give it more flavor and a new texture (some of it comes out crispy depending how long you sautee) and is a different meal experience than the original spaghetti.

There are even more ways to redo leftover spaghetti🍝 to be featured in the future as Specials on at the Diner.  This keeps our prices down and profit margin up!  Keeping the Diner doors open in these days of collapsing retail is not EZ.

Leftover Spaghetti

RE

Just back from the dreaded annual trek to The Tax Man, as much fun as getting a root canal.

Having the same for supper, with a slight difference mine are left over Rigatoni, put away the other night for this occasion.

Let famed Master Chef GO of the DD embellish this simple meal with few of his oh so creative tips.

Replace the butter with Ricotta Cheese AFTER reheating, a few good size tablespoons, add a dusting of ground black pepper, a sprinkling of Parmesan or Romano, and the master has turned a cafeteria dish into a majestic dining experience.

Don't forget the Chianti, a simple non Classico will do for enhancing a leftover.  ;D

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 04, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
Just back from the dreaded annual trek to The Tax Man, as much fun as getting a root canal.

Having the same for supper, with a slight difference mine are left over Rigatoni, put away the other night for this occasion.

Let famed Master Chef GO of the DD embellish this simple meal with few of his oh so creative tips.

Replace the butter with Ricotta Cheese AFTER reheating, a few good size tablespoons, add a dusting of ground black pepper, a sprinkling of Parmesan or Romano, and the master has turned a cafeteria dish into a majestic dining experience.

Don't forget the Chianti, a simple non Classico will do for enhancing a leftover.  ;D

Sounds good GO although that Rigatoni looks freshly made, not a leftover preparation.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2018, 03:33:09 AM »

Sounds good GO although that Rigatoni looks freshly made, not a leftover preparation.

RE

Jeez, RE, NOBODY does food photography with leftovers!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/5/2018
« Reply #520 on: April 05, 2018, 03:33:49 AM »

Actually this is a Merger & Acquisition between Fish🐟4Breakfast and Soup🥣4Breakfast, which comes to us from Ecuador.  Do you think Julian Assange has this for breakfast at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London? ???

Which brings up a question as far as JA is concerned.  Does he cook his own food or is there a chef in the Ecuadorian Embassy?  ???  If he cooks his own, who shops for him?  :icon_scratch:

RE

Encebollado: Ecuadorian Fish🐟 & Onion Soup🥣

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 05, 2018, 03:39:08 AM »

RE

The refried spaghetti I put up last night was a leftover.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #522 on: April 05, 2018, 03:56:57 AM »

RE

The refried spaghetti I put up last night was a leftover.

RE

I have done food photography fr dozens of restaurants, and have yet to have them serve up a leftover.
Not to say it doesn't happen .

Both recipes, yours and GO', are personal favorites, BTW. His point about the fresh ricotta is well made.

Pan-frying leftover spaghetti is a great way to give an unwanted leftover a fresh allure.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:21 AM »
Both recipes, yours and GO', are personal favorites, BTW. His point about the fresh ricotta is well made.

Pan-frying leftover spaghetti is a great way to give an unwanted leftover a fresh allure.

I will further explore the leftover spaghetti meme for tonight's dinner special.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/5/2018
« Reply #524 on: April 05, 2018, 04:02:56 AM »

Actually this is a Merger & Acquisition between Fish🐟4Breakfast and Soup🥣4Breakfast, which comes to us from Ecuador.  Do you think Julian Assange has this for breakfast at the Ecuadorian Embassy in London? ???

Which brings up a question as far as JA is concerned.  Does he cook his own food or is there a chef in the Ecuadorian Embassy?  ???  If he cooks his own, who shops for him?  :icon_scratch:

RE

Personally, I can't wait until "Fish for Breakfast" has run its course. I'm tired of skipping breakfast!

I would think that these days, JA is on a diet of bread and water.