PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Doomstead Diner Menu

Poll

How do you like your eggs best?

Scrambled
4 (36.4%)
Sunny Side Up
0 (0%)
Over Easy
4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76841 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #540 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:08 AM »
My parents voted for Nixon in 1960. Probably because Kennedy was Catholic. In fly-over country this was a sticking point for  a lot of protestants.

I was four, and not that into politics. But I watched a lot of TV back then. It was before I could read.

My folks were, however, deeply saddened by his death. I remember my father telling me (as we watched the funeral procession on TV) that he was in the Navy when FDR died, and that wherever he was at that time (I recall he told me he was in the color guard, fwiw)  they stood at attention in full dress uniform for hours, and that it was very hot, and sailors literally collapsed and had to get medical care.

I remember the funeral clearly, and the sight of the kids, who were about my age. We all cried. At that time people supported their President, even if they had voted for the other guy. Quite different than today.

Somehow, I don't think you would see many crying children if Trumpovetsky was assassinated today.  Maybe some Parties though.

RE

You might be surprised. Nothing changes a President's approval rating like being brutally murdered.

Before Kennedy was shot, there were plenty of people who hated him and he got plenty of bad press. Now he is perceived very differently.

Did you read Profiles in Courage? I think we all probably did.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍝 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/6/2018
« Reply #541 on: April 06, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »
MOAR leftover spaghetti🍝!  ;D

We still had some leftover spaghetti🍝, so for the Diner Lunch today we are fusing this with Soup🥣4Lunch and brewing up a Spaghetti Soup🥣!  :icon_sunny:

This really is a Soup Ammmendation recipe, since you start with plain Campbell's Tomato Soup🥣, add your leftover spaghetti and tomato suace and then you can add a small can of Hunt's tomato paste to thicken it up as well a thinly sliced Johnson sausage or two for meat protein and fat.  Hot sausage my preference here.

Spaghetti🍝 Soup🥣
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 06, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
My parents voted for Nixon in 1960. Probably because Kennedy was Catholic. In fly-over country this was a sticking point for  a lot of protestants.

I was four, and not that into politics. But I watched a lot of TV back then. It was before I could read.

My folks were, however, deeply saddened by his death. I remember my father telling me (as we watched the funeral procession on TV) that he was in the Navy when FDR died, and that wherever he was at that time (I recall he told me he was in the color guard, fwiw)  they stood at attention in full dress uniform for hours, and that it was very hot, and sailors literally collapsed and had to get medical care.

I remember the funeral clearly, and the sight of the kids, who were about my age. We all cried. At that time people supported their President, even if they had voted for the other guy. Quite different than today.

Somehow, I don't think you would see many crying children if Trumpovetsky was assassinated today.  Maybe some Parties though.

RE

You might be surprised. Nothing changes a President's approval rating like being brutally murdered.

Before Kennedy was shot, there were plenty of people who hated him and he got plenty of bad press. Now he is perceived very differently.

Did you read Profiles in Courage? I think we all probably did.

We'll have to wait until the CIA orders the Hit to find out.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦐 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/6/2018
« Reply #543 on: April 06, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
It's Fish Friday again!  :icon_sunny:

Tonight we're going Carribean with Garlic Lime Shrimp🦐.  Do NOT overcook your shrimp🦐!  You have to be very careful with shrimp🦐 so they come out cooked through but still plump and juicy.  This regardless of technique used, grilling, sauteeing, etc.  Because they come in a variety of sizes up to the oxymoron Jumbo Shrimp🦐, these cook times vary a LOT and so do the temperature settings. Properly done though, shrimp🦐 is one of my most favored seafood types across many different ethnic recipes.  Usually served with rice or noodles.

Garlic-Lime Shrimp🦐

RE
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:23:17 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 06, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
Shrimp ARE tricky.

I'm good at boiling them Cajun style, and that's about the extent of my expertise. I never learned to grill or fry shrimp. Fried is my favorite if they're done right, but boiled peel-and eat, with cocktail sauce is my specialty, and I can serve them up that way as good or better than most restaurants. We used to do a lot of shrimp boils. When my buddy had his sailboat in Rockport, I used to get him to bring me fresh shrimp all the time.

Texas has the best shrimp and oysters anywhere, at least in the Americas. I've tried them from NYC to SF and ours are exceptionally good.

When I went to Boston. I got Scrod, of course. :)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 06, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »
Shrimp ARE tricky.

I'm good at boiling them Cajun style, and that's about the extent of my expertise. I never learned to grill or fry shrimp. Fried is my favorite if they're done right, but boiled peel-and eat, with cocktail sauce is my specialty, and I can serve them up that way as good or better than most restaurants. We used to do a lot of shrimp boils. When my buddy had his sailboat in Rockport, I used to get him to bring me fresh shrimp all the time.

Texas has the best shrimp and oysters anywhere, at least in the Americas. I've tried them from NYC to SF and ours are exceptionally good.

When I went to Boston. I got Scrod, of course. :)

I agree Gulf Shrimp are the best, or at least they were before the Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill.  Not sure how good they are now.  ???  :icon_scratch:

Here in Alaska, most of the shrimp we get I think comes from Thailand and most of it farmed as well.  The Jumbo Shrimp available now are often sometimes bigger than Lobster Tails!  :o  Not sure also if this is some kind of genetic modified organism or just overfed and stuffed with hormones.

Shrimp Cocktail Rings are one of the few things I have been able to down in recent months for animal protein.  They also last quite a while in the fridge, enough time for me to eat most of the ring.  I sometimes can eat 2 or 3 shrimp in a day.

Far as cooking them goes, my personal favorite was to do them scampi style in garlic and butter.  Shrimp on the Barbie also a favorite, but this really takes careful control of the heat.  Also time consuming in spicing them up and putting them on skewers.  Not something I would ever do just for myself.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: April 06, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
I feel for you, my brother. I can eat a pound of those easy, if they're fresh.

I have a huge boiling bot I got at Sam's, one of those giant restaurant mofos, just for shrimp boils. I usually boil at least five pounds and it's gone with a couple of days.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: April 06, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
I feel for you, my brother. I can eat a pound of those easy, if they're fresh.

I have a huge boiling bot I got at Sam's, one of those giant restaurant mofos, just for shrimp boils. I usually boil at least five pounds and it's gone with a couple of days.

I have that same pot at my feet at the toilet to puke into when I get the fits.  This way whichever end any thing comes out it doesn't mess up the digs or my clothing.  Also will be EZier for the paramedics to haul my corpse to the morgue for shipping to Missouri and the burial & funeral.  I usually have enough warning in sensations of nausea to make it over to the toilet and sit there for an hour while this shit goes on.  I have my Tablet by the toilet so I can read doom during these episodes.

These are the Daze of My Life.  ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/7/2018
« Reply #548 on: April 07, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
I screwed up yesterday offering up Lobster Benedict as our final Fish🐟4Breakfast meal of the week.  I lost track of the days and thought it was Saturday and not Friday.  This happens to me often now.  ::)

So to REALLY finish off Fish🐟4Breakfast week, we will return to a favorite for just about everyone, Bagels & Lox.  I have put up this Breakfast meal before, so it sorta violates my rule of trying not to repeat Menu items here on the Diner.  However, I have been running this thread for around 4 months now and as far as I remember have not repeated a single recipe.  This is quite hard to do.

In terms of IRL Restaurants, they rarely change the overall menu, usually this only happens with a change of the Head Chef.  Maybe every couple of years or so.  Higher end restaurants will change the main menu more often, at Capsuto Freres we changed it every 3 months, once a quarter.  Many restaurants will offer up some type of "special" as an addition to the regular menu on even a daily basis.  However, those specials do repeat themselves quite often also.

So after all this time developing this thread, I no longer will promise I will not repeat a recipe.  Particularly with foods that were my traditional favorites.  Probably though I will not EXACTLY repeat anything, because when you research any recipe and preparation, there are always many varations to each one.

In today's Fish🐟4Breakfast recipe of Bagels & Lox, we're looking at the classic and traditional New York Bagel Breakfast.  It does come in many variations though, and this one is Sandwich Style including all the NY usual ingredients of the cream cheese, lox, tomato and red onions.  For myself, I usually was a lot simpler with an open face preparation with just chive cream cheese and lox on the bagel.  Also the final taste of this depends how the fish was prepared.  "Lox" is quite salty, "Nova Lox" which I preferred less so.  Gravlax even more delicate in flavor than this, but not generally available in the delis of my youth.

Bagel & Lox

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥙 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/7/2018
« Reply #549 on: April 07, 2018, 01:41:55 PM »
Today's lunch special, the basic Meatball Hero.  :icon_sunny:

Meatball Heros are great, but you have to eat them right away and all in one sitting or the marinara sauce soaks through the bread and turns it into a mushy mess.  Not good for people who eat a lot of leftovers like me.

Meatball Hero

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍲 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/7/2018
« Reply #550 on: April 07, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
After all that fish all week for breakfast, we'll give a break tonight to the ocean and go back to the land for MEAT! 🥩

Not Industrially raised Beef🥩 though, tonight we're having Alaskan Moose on Special, nicely stewed🍲 up in the slow cooker.  Stew🍲 is stew🍲, regardless of what meat you use for it, the other ingredients are usually the same, carrots, potatoes and onions.  Spices according to your taste, basil, rosemary, bay leaf etc. Sometimes green veggies from your garden also like green beans and zucchini.  If you are adding those, wait until the rest of the stew🍲 is near done so you don't overcook them.

Moose Stew

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍽️ Doomstead Diner Sunday Smorgasbord Special: 4/8/2018
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2018, 01:32:55 AM »
It's Sunday Smorgasbord Special time again!  :icon_sunny:

Our Brazilian Doom Chef Pepe "Silk Road" Escobar was complaining to me that we haven't feature enough Brazilian food here at the Diner lately, so I let him set up the buffet today.  It's got all your favorite Brazilian foods, Feijon, Farofa, Plantains and of course a Churasco pit with your favorite meats and sausage!

Brazilian Smorgasbord

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: 🥙 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/7/2018
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

Meatball Heros are great, but you have to eat them right away and all in one sitting or the marinara sauce soaks through the bread and turns it into a mushy mess.  Not good for people who eat a lot of leftovers like me.

Meatball Hero
Nice!  I've never had a meatball sub that looked quite that good....
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2018, 01:07:57 PM »
CinnamonRoll
CinnamonRoll

What I can do between car and work.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥙 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/7/2018
« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »

Meatball Hero
Nice!  I've never had a meatball sub that looked quite that good....

From our school bag lunches to our haute cuisine dinners, nothing but the best at the Doomstead Diner.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can