4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76838 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🥢 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/12/2018
« Reply #570 on: April 12, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Back for more Asian4Lunch!  :icon_sunny:

One of the inspirations for this series was Surly's love for Pho Soup, and apparently Mike Chen likes this stuff too!  It also turns out Mike is a fucking PIG🐷! besides being a foodie.  This guy can do some serious eating (if he is not faking it and doing takes on different days).

In a stomach-to-stomach contest, I wonder if Surly could  take on Mike downing Pho Soup?  ???  :icon_scratch:  Surly has the size on him, but Mike has the Stomach of Youth of a Male, which can consume a refrigerator full in a day.  I know when I was 18 I could do that and I am not a very big guy either!

RE

Massive Pho Soup Challenge
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLHlsRm3gLY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lLHlsRm3gLY</a>

Pho Soup
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #571 on: April 12, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
That pho look great! Mike can have the title. He has the grace of youth  going for him. Canít pack it away these days like I used to.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍲 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/12/2018
« Reply #572 on: April 12, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
Taking a break from Asian recipes tonight and moving over to Eastern Europe in Poland.  I don't think I have offered up any Polish Recipes before on Special at the Diner,  This one was a favorite of King Stanislaus, reportedly by Eddie a great Monarch.  I like it myself as well.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Kielbasa & Kapusta
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/13/2018
« Reply #573 on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:21 AM »
Our Pollack inspired meal for last night's Special was such a hit I let Stanislaus Kowalski our Pollack Chef prepare the Full Pollack Breakfast this morning as Special.   :icon_sunny:  Has all your favorite Pollack foods in there!  ;D  Kielbasa, Pierogis, Potato Pancakes & Sour Cream, you name it!

RE

Polish Full Breakfast
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #574 on: April 13, 2018, 06:16:08 AM »
Nothing like a Polish wedding reception in a fire hall. Some of the best food- and people- you can ever encounter.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:09 AM »
I have one kid, my eldest, who would groove out on that all potato meal. I love those potato pancake thingies myself. My mom used to make 'em occasionally.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥢 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/13/2018
« Reply #576 on: April 13, 2018, 07:18:55 AM »
We're back with Foodie Polyglot Trevor, this time for Indian Street Food from Punjab Province.  Trevor is not as fluent with Hindi as he is with Chinese.  I suspect he is a Brit Brat raised in Hong Kong.  However, he has picked up a few words in Hindi, and he costumes up in this episode complete with the Towel Head!

RE

Punjab India  Street Food
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GStMSkhmYEs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GStMSkhmYEs</a>

Lassi with Lavina
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥢 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/13/2018
« Reply #577 on: April 13, 2018, 07:39:51 AM »
We're back with Foodie Polyglot Trevor, this time for Indian Street Food from Punjab Province.  Trevor is not as fluent with Hindi as he is with Chinese.  I suspect he is a Brit Brat raised in Hong Kong.  However, he has picked up a few words in Hindi, and he costumes up in this episode complete with the Towel Head!

RE

Punjab India  Street Food
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GStMSkhmYEs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GStMSkhmYEs</a>

Lassi with Lavina

Our new spot for Indian. Very hip and trendy, but still excellent food, and good service. I'm a sucker for the Rogan Josh with lamb.

https://www.zagat.com/r/graj-mahal-cafe-austin

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥢 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/13/2018
« Reply #578 on: April 13, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
I gave some thought to why Indian Street Food has evolved as it has, using these HUGE Woks for cooking up various recipes.

Reason (IMHO).  It's HOMELESS COOKING!  Many if not most of the customers can't even afford cookware, and/or they have no place to store it.  The prices come in really cheap as prepared food goes, for a Yank, Brit or Kraut Ex-Pat it's  Chump Change!  A typical Indian probably can still afford it too, at least once a day anyhow.

It's a low investment bizness to get into if you are a good cook and save up enough money to buy your first Big Wok.  You start with a cart, and work your way up to owning a storefront.  Hopefully you get a good enough Rep to have the Rich Fuck Touristas hit your restaurant also.  Then you are really doing good.

If I had been born in Punjab Province in India, this would have been me.

Alternate Universe RE, born in Punjab Province

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 13, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
Reverse Entrepreneur! I like it.

I think making food is a collapse proof job with unlimited job security, if you can get something to prepare.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »

I think making food is a collapse proof job with unlimited job security, if you can get something to prepare.

If I get enough of my health back, my first bizness in retirement is going to be a food truck.  That one I WILL name the Doomstead Diner, whether  it is a good and popular advertizing name or not.  ::)

I have already investigated the costs for licensing and start up in South Carolina, home to the SUN☼ Foundation.  Well within my budget.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »

If I get enough of my health back, my first bizness in retirement is going to be a food truck.  That one I WILL name the Doomstead Diner, whether  it is a good and popular advertizing name or not.  ::)

I have already investigated the costs for licensing and start up in South Carolina, home to the SUN☼ Foundation.  Well within my budget.

RE

Perfect.

"Feed as Many As We Can."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »

RE

Perfect.

Indeed.  I have a whole Biz Plan worked out for it, and part of it is getting Grants so I can take the truck to Homeless Encampments to feed the Homeless for FREE.  I know I can feed people with good nutritious food on less than $5/Day, within the SNAP Card Budget.  At least at current food prices in the FSoA anyhow.

I have the money to start it up even without a Grant.  But I have to get healthier myself before  I can do this.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2018, 09:26:39 AM »

RE

Perfect.

Indeed.  I have a whole Biz Plan worked out for it, and part of it is getting Grants so I can take the truck to Homeless Encampments to feed the Homeless for FREE.  I know I can feed people with good nutritious food on less than $5/Day, within the SNAP Card Budget.  At least at current food prices in the FSoA anyhow.

I have the money to start it up even without a Grant.  But I have to get healthier myself before  I can do this.

RE

After seeing how much trouble Meals on Wheels has in this area, I wonder how available grants will be, particularly in South Carolina. The attitude towards the homeless seems to be, "better dead than fed."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2018, 09:35:22 AM »

RE

Perfect.

RE

After seeing how much trouble Meals on Wheels has in this area, I wonder how available grants will be, particularly in South Carolina. The attitude towards the homeless seems to be, "better dead than fed."

No idea there, but I can run such a biz without grants, just not provide food completely for free.  Still cheaper than fast food from Mickey Ds though, $2 will get you a meal that gets you through the whole day, and decently tasty too and not full of garbage.  I can afford all the start up costs and run it at a loss too for a while.  I can't do it in my current condition though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can