4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 40597 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍜 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/19/2018
« Reply #615 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
I had a bit of a tough time today deciding on a Lunch Special.  When I don't have a Weekly Theme for a meal, selections are vast to choose from.  ::)  I only do one weekly theme a week, this week it's Doomer Dinners for after SHTF Day.  So it's open season for Breakfast and Lunch choices.  I also try not to do duplications of stuff I have put up before, which makes this still more difficult to choose from.

In this case I finally decided on a Soup🍜4Lunch choice, Lentil Soup.  Anytime you choose a soup🍜 as a main course for your meal, it has to be a thick, rich and hearty one.  One of my earliest memories is of the Lentil Soup🍜 which my Grandma made from scratch.  In my memory, it was absolutely scrumptious.  You don't see Lentil Soup🍜 on the menu too often here in the FSoA, and for myself in the years since then about the only Lentil Soup I have consumed is the canned Progresso version, which is OK but a poor imitation of what I remember Grandma's soup to be like.

Along with the soup🍜, you want a nice piece of crusty break to dip in there, or at the very least some saltine crackers to crush up and add to the soup.  You can also sprinkle the grated cheese of your choice on top or some sour cream.

Reviewing the recipes for Lentil Soup🍜 this morning, like all dishes there are a wide variety.  I will likely feature another one in future Specials.  This one reminds me most of what Grandma's looked like.

RE

Lentil Soup
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍜 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/19/2018
« Reply #616 on: April 19, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »

In this case I finally decided on a Soup🍜4Lunch choice, Lentil Soup.  Anytime you choose a soup🍜 as a main course for your meal, it has to be a thick, rich and hearty one.  One of my earliest memories is of the Lentil Soup🍜 which my Grandma made from scratch.  In my memory, it was absolutely scrumptious.  You don't see Lentil Soup🍜 on the menu too often here in the FSoA, and for myself in the years since then about the only Lentil Soup I have consumed is the canned Progresso version, which is OK but a poor imitation of what I remember Grandma's soup to be like.

Reviewing the recipes for Lentil Soup🍜 this morning, like all dishes there are a wide variety.  I will likely feature another one in future Specials.  This one reminds me most of what Grandma's looked like.

Lentil Soup

My mother would serve up lentils from time to time when I was a kid, and I absolutely hated the dish. It wasnít until I would became an adult that I could appreciate the virtues of a well-made lentil soup. There is a German restaurant across the river down here that does a fabulous lentil soup that by itself is worth the trip, itís also a German beer garden, so whatís not to like?
I agree with you that the canned soups Really canít hold a candle to the real deal. I liked that the one you pictured features carrots which is an essential part of a well-made little soup.

I could live on soup.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🍜 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/19/2018
« Reply #617 on: April 19, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
My mother would serve up lentils from time to time when I was a kid, and I absolutely hated the dish. It wasnít until I would became an adult that I could appreciate the virtues of a well-made lentil soup. There is a German restaurant across the river down here that does a fabulous lentil soup that by itself is worth the trip, itís also a German beer garden, so whatís not to like?
I agree with you that the canned soups Really canít hold a candle to the real deal. I liked that the one you pictured features carrots which is an essential part of a well-made little soup.

I could live on soup.

Me too.  Soup was one of the last things I really enjoyed eating until I began to slowly starve to death.  A steady part of my diet over all the years, including all those cans of Cambell's Condensed Alphabet Soup with all those little noodle letters that I began to recognize as a child.  The best soups though are always made from scratch, not canned.  I have featured many soups which were favorites of mine over the years on the Diner Menu, but I haven't even scratched the surface.  There will be more Soup Theme Weeks coming in the future.

If I ever recover from this agonizing end to my life, when I visit you in Norfolk we will go to that Beer Garden for Lentil Soup and a few pints of the Oktoberfest Special.  :icon_sunny:  Otherwise, we will enjoy a bowl when you join me in the Great Beyond.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐦 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/19/2018
« Reply #618 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:24 PM »
Today we're visiting the Fowl Family for Doomer Dinner, Pidgeons!  :icon_sunny:  You can think of them like a really skinny Doom Chicken.

The main thing I don't like with hunted birds is they are usually downed with a shotgun.  Makes for a very messy corpse.  If you can nail one with your sling though, this is the way to go.  You would have to be really good though to hit one moving through the air, like Ayla was able to do in Clan of the Cave Bear.  Easier to get if it is sitting on a branch or pecking at seeds you throw out on the ground as bait.

RE

First let's clean tonight's meal

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sde85XJpj1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sde85XJpj1E</a>

Now let's EAT!

Thyme infused Pigeon Breast with Medlar & Red Wine

See?  Doomer foods don't HAVE to be gross.  ;D
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥐 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/20/2018
« Reply #619 on: April 20, 2018, 03:08:31 AM »
A bit high in refined sugar, but once in a while a Danish🥐 with a Double Espresso :coffee: is a nice way to get a morning energy jolt.⚡  Many styles and fillings available to choose from at the Diner.

RE

Raspberry Pinwheel Danish Pastry
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌭 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/20/2018
« Reply #620 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »
More samples from the Diner Gourmet Hot Dog🌭 list of Tube Steaks for Lunch Special today!  :icon_sunny:

RE

MOAR Gourmet Hot Dogs🌭

In today's Specials, I am most partial to the TacoDog.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🌭 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/20/2018
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
More samples from the Diner Gourmet Hot Dog🌭 list of Tube Steaks for Lunch Special today!  :icon_sunny:

RE

MOAR Gourmet Hot Dogs🌭

In today's Specials, I am most partial to the TacoDog.

As for me...

But all good.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »
Everything comes and goes...marked by lovers and styles of clothes.

For several years, Austin was full of great hot dog vendors, but now the tide has gone back out. I struggle to find a decent Chicago dog in this town anymore. There isn't one close enough to the office for lunch, I know that.

I need to plan a trip to Chicago. Chicago dogs and Myopic Books...and maybe see the kid while I'm there if I have time. After it warms up there, of course.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
Everything comes and goes...marked by lovers and styles of clothes.

For several years, Austin was full of great hot dog vendors, but now the tide has gone back out. I struggle to find a decent Chicago dog in this town anymore. There isn't one close enough to the office for lunch, I know that.

I need to plan a trip to Chicago. Chicago dogs and Myopic Books...and maybe see the kid while I'm there if I have time. After it warms up there, of course.

You can always buy just a plain Hot Dog and keep the fixin's for Chicago Style in a small fridge at work and spruce it up.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 20, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
Sounds like a lot of trouble just for a fuckin' hot dog. LOL.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 20, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Sounds like a lot of trouble just for a fuckin' hot dog. LOL.

Nah.  5 minutes the most to do the augmentation job if the fixins are in the fridge.  Chili Dogs are harder of course because you have to heat up the chili.  Cheese you gotta melt the cheese.  Anything using stuff that does not need to be heated though can be done very quick.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:55 AM »
nice buns...
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐀 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 4/20/2018
« Reply #627 on: April 20, 2018, 03:46:03 PM »
Not a popular source of animal protein here in the west, in many Asian countries Rats🐀 are a regular part of the diet.  Like the squirrels and rabbits, they're just another small mammal, although the image they conjure up is one of disease and infestation.  They're not unhealthy to eat though in most cases, long as they are cooked to well-done.  Rat🐀 meat is a meat I would NOT eat raw.  I've never sampled Rat🐀, but according to the recipes, it Tastes Like Chicken, just with 4 legs.

RE

Rat🐀 Kebabs
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 4/21/2018
« Reply #628 on: April 21, 2018, 02:02:17 AM »
For this morning's Diner Special Breakfast, we're taking a trip back in time in Mr. Peabody's WAYBAC Machine to 7 years ago, briefly after RE got the Rotor Rooter job done on his femoral arteries and briefly before the founding of the Doomstead Diner.  Well before RE broke his neck, and everything was working pretty good.  The legs were almost back to normal, if not their best years of my misspent youth and although I wasn't climbing mountains, a weekend fishing🐟 trip and some car camping was a regular feature of the summer.  I was driving the now dearly departed 1989 Mazda MPV, which had plenty of room for gear and 4WD.  I didn't go to super remote lakes, just some within about 100 miles of where I live in Palmer.  You get even 20 miles out of Palmer though and it's pretty much wilderness, except you still have cell phone service and internet. :icon_sunny:  Well, at least true if you don't go too far off the Parks or Glenn Highways anyhow.

The gym schedule in the summer got us done much earlier than the rest of the year due to the gymmies being out of school, we were finished for the day by 4PM.  Besides that it was light out until around 11PM, and twilight after that. The night before I would have the Mazda packed and ready to go after work.  Tent, stove and grill, air mattress, sleeping bag, laptop, ice cooler & food goodies, beer & cigarettes.

After work I would jump in the Mazda and head to the lake of choice for the weekend. 1-2 hours driving time.  Arrange for a campsite if it wasn't free public access camping and set up camp.  This took another 1-2 hours.  Cook dinner for the final meal of the day, usually a thick and juicy Ribeye Steak🥩 cooked over an open fire on the grill with some steamed veggies drenched in butter.  Cooking prep time and eating, total about 1-2 hours also.  All together after the day of work I was usually done by around 8-9PM and would retire to the tent to surf doom, and at the time compose a post or two to our Yahoo Group Reverse Engineering.  Asleep by around 10PM for an early wake up call set on my smart phone around 4AM the following morning for some FISHING!🐟  :icon_sunny:

I would usually spend the first couple of hours in a semi-sleepy haze holding the fishing🐟 pole while drinking coffee until I hopefully actually caught something, which didn't always happen but sometimes I got really lucky too!  If I caught nothing, breakfast was something from the cooler, bacon and eggs typically.  But if I got LUCKY, it was freshly caught Walleye🐟 or Lake Trout🐟! There is no better breakfast on earth than fish🐟 straight from the lake to the plate.  It was Heaven on Earth in those daze.  They will never come again on this side of the Great Divide for RE. :'(

RE

First let's catch the Fish!🐟

Now let's EAT!
Fresh Walleye🐟 with mustard-dill sauce.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 03:12:16 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥗 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 4/21/2018
« Reply #629 on: April 21, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
These are favorites among the Paleo Diet Diners who visit the Diner for a To-Go Lunch from our Drive-Thru window, eventually to be converted to a Bike-Thru window and then a Goat-Pulled Cart window.

In this lunch, you eliminate the Grain and Bread component in favor of a lettuce leaf to wrap up your Tuna Salad.  These days you might want to avoid Romaine Lettuce though.   ::)  Seems there are Salmonella problems with this spreading around.

RE

Lettuce Wrapped Tuna
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN