PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Doomstead Diner Menu

Poll

How do you like your eggs best?

Scrambled
4 (36.4%)
Sunny Side Up
0 (0%)
Over Easy
4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 48155 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🐖 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 5/22/2018
« Reply #720 on: May 22, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
Missed Lunch AGAIN!  ::)  After the fabulous Sashimi & Shrimp Tempura Mariko fixed, wee took off from Tokyo International Airport bound for Honolulu on our next stop in the Diner Circumnavigation bringing the Word of Collapse to major world leaders and the importance of FOOD in keeping the collapse from getting even worse and faster than it already is.  Played another game of Chess with Alexandra where she positively destroyed me.  I was still wasted and hung over from Partying with Xi and went back to my exquisitely furnished bedroom in Nostradamus to recuperate, and didn't wake up again until we landed in Honolulu.

We arrived JIT for a HUGE Hawaiian Luau and Pig Roast being held by Diner Hawaiian Affiliates annually to help benefit the Poor & Homeless People of Hawaii.  We raised more than $1M and all the leftover food was served up as Pulled Pork sandwiches and other goodies to the local Homeless encampments the following day.

RE

Roasted Pig at the Diner Annual Luau
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐖 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 5/23/2018
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:25 AM »
We were all too stuffed after the Luau to eat breakfast the next day plus we had LOTS of leftover FOOD, so we opened the Diner Hawaii Office and Meeting Room as a Soup Kitchen for the Homeless in Hawaii.  Diner members from Hawaii as well as those of us Circumnavigating the Globe aboard Nostradamus served up the meal, and we fed almost 200 people over 4 hours from 6AM-10AM.  Our breakfast meal had Pulled Pork🐖, fresh hormone free range chicken eggs & Goobermint supplied Cheese all on top of freshly baked Kaiser Rolls in the Diner Hawaii office Kitchen.  Also on the menu this morning for the Homeless was Miso Soup with Pork and Freshly baked Biscuits with a Pork🐖 gravy.

RE

Serving the Homeless in the Diner Soup Kitchen

Roast Pork🐖, Eggs & Cheese on a Kaiser Roll

Miso Soup

Biscuits & Gravy
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special RETURNS!: 5/28/2018
« Reply #722 on: May 28, 2018, 12:48:05 AM »
After a few days of Sick Leave, RE has returned to his position at the Diner Stove to prepare the morning Breakfast Special!  :icon_sunny:  It was touch & go whether I would get back to my spot, but at least for the moment I am sufficiently in shape to prepare the morning meal for the Diners.

Deciding what to start the week off with after the Close Encounter of the Third Kind with the Grim Reaper was tough.  ???  :icon_scratch:  Should I do a Big Breakfast?  Many variations of that one I haven't offered up yet. How about something Asian maybe?  In the end, I decided on a variation on Eggs Benedict which has a real Alaskan Flavor to it with Crab🦀 & Shrimp🦐, on Texas Garlic Toast rather than an English Muffin.  Smother in fresh Hollandaise Sauce.

Do NOT use Lump Crabmeat🦀 from a can!  Minimum here is Alaskan Snow Crab🦀, but obviously Golden King Crab🦀 is the best (and most expensive) choice.  Other seafood choices are optional.  If you have good Gulf Shrimp🦐 to add to this recipe, FEEL FREE!.Maine Lobster or Thai Scallops not a bad addition either.

RE

Seafood Eggs Benedict
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🦀 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special RETURNS!: 5/28/2018
« Reply #723 on: May 28, 2018, 04:08:56 AM »
After a few days of Sick Leave, RE has returned to his position at the Diner Stove to prepare the morning Breakfast Special!  :icon_sunny:  It was touch & go whether I would get back to my spot, but at least for the moment I am sufficiently in shape to prepare the morning meal for the Diners.

Deciding what to start the week off with after the Close Encounter of the Third Kind with the Grim Reaper was tough.  ???  :icon_scratch:  Should I do a Big Breakfast?  Many variations of that one I haven't offered up yet. How about something Asian maybe?  In the end, I decided on a variation on Eggs Benedict which has a real Alaskan Flavor to it with Crab🦀 & Shrimp🦐, on Texas Garlic Toast rather than an English Muffin.  Smother in fresh Hollandaise Sauce.

Do NOT use Lump Crabmeat🦀 from a can!  Minimum here is Alaskan Snow Crab🦀, but obviously Golden King Crab🦀 is the best (and most expensive) choice.  Other seafood choices are optional.  If you have good Gulf Shrimp🦐 to add to this recipe, FEEL FREE!.Maine Lobster or Thai Scallops not a bad addition either.

RE

Seafood Eggs Benedict

My choice would be Maine Lobster of course.

What a scrumptious looking morsel. 

Reminds me of the few times I had breakfast in the Big Apple at the Plaza or Essex House. It was forty years or so ago but boy oh boy did they have goodies on the menu in those hotels.

RE has missed his calling in life. He could have been a world famous Chef.  :emthup: ;D

Mario Batali

Anthony Bourdain

Emeril Lagasse

Wolfgang Puck

RE Airport
RE Airport
                                          Reverse Engineer

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 28, 2018, 07:35:33 AM »

If you have to CHOOSE, it's a very tough choice between Alaskan Golden King Crab and Maine Lobster for crustacean meat.  Overall, by the Crab or Lobster I would say the crab wins because crab legs have a nicer texture than lobster tails where most of the meat is. However, ther is nothing better than the Claws of a Maine Loster for both texture and sweetness.Particularly the central part of the big Crusher claw of a Maine Lobster (they have 2 types of main claws, the Crusher and the Pincer claws).

Why choose though?  This is the world of the Imagination, so have them BOTH!  :icon_sunny:

In reality, I never had either Lobster or King Crab as part of Breakfast except using leftovers from a Clambake to make Seafood Omelets, which are still pretty good but don't hve the kind of presentation this meal does.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 28, 2018, 07:48:58 AM »

If you have to CHOOSE, it's a very tough choice between Alaskan Golden King Crab and Maine Lobster for crustacean meat.  Overall, by the Crab or Lobster I would say the crab wins because crab legs have a nicer texture than lobster tails where most of the meat is. However, ther is nothing better than the Claws of a Maine Loster for both texture and sweetness.Particularly the central part of the big Crusher claw of a Maine Lobster (they have 2 types of main claws, the Crusher and the Pincer claws).

Why choose though?  This is the world of the Imagination, so have them BOTH!  :icon_sunny:

In reality, I never had either Lobster or King Crab as part of Breakfast except using leftovers from a Clambake to make Seafood Omelets, which are still pretty good but don't hve the kind of presentation this meal does.

RE

The claw is my favorite as well and find myself in endless argument with lobster lovers, Maine is loaded with them, over this very topic.

Let me assure you we are in a minority with this view. Most crave the tail meat and it baffles me.

As another aside to prove our point I frequent Maine lobster pounds often and like to buy the fresh meat when it is plentiful, the price of claw meat is ALWAYS 10 dollars a pound, Yes TEN cheaper than the tail meat.

You know which one I buy.   :laugh: :icon_mrgreen:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 28, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »

Damn, those look GOOD!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #727 on: May 28, 2018, 09:04:19 AM »

RE

The claw is my favorite as well and find myself in endless argument with lobster lovers, Maine is loaded with them, over this very topic.

Let me assure you we are in a minority with this view. Most crave the tail meat and it baffles me.

As another aside to prove our point I frequent Maine lobster pounds often and like to buy the fresh meat when it is plentiful, the price of claw meat is ALWAYS 10 dollars a pound, Yes TEN cheaper than the tail meat.

Hard to go wrong either way.

Thirty years ago I took a trip up through New England, visiting Newport and heading up the coast, and was astonished to find lobster shacks selling lobsters like hot dog stands sell hot dogs down here. Down went a shoot of white Kraft paper, and plop! came the lobsters and ears of corn. That was fun!

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #728 on: May 28, 2018, 10:06:37 AM »
Yes, That's the way to eat them at a Shack right near the ocean.

It doesn't matter how fast they get to a supermarket and into the tanks. That two or three day difference from fresh out of the ocean is noticeable to a Lobster aficionado immediately.

Here is the one I frequent often, drooling just thinking about it.

Lobster Flatbread

Lobster Anyone, How about Steamers and a Cold Beer Too??

I like 3 Pounders
I like 3 Pounders

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍕 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 5/29/2018
« Reply #729 on: May 29, 2018, 04:08:36 AM »
Honestly, I doubt many real Italians eat this Pizza for Breakfast.  It looks pretty good though.

RE

Breakfast pizza with arugula, soft baked eggs, caramelized onions, and prosciutto

[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:22:11 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🍕 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 5/29/2018
« Reply #730 on: May 29, 2018, 08:48:11 AM »
Honestly, I doubt many real Italians eat this Pizza for Breakfast.  It looks pretty good though.

RE

Breakfast pizza with arugula, soft baked eggs, caramelized onions, and prosciutto

My parents took a trip to Italy decades ago and reported that pizza per se was not commonly on the menu. When they found a place to serve it, they ordered it "with everything."

It came back with the works, including fried eggs on top.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #731 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:15 AM »
They put eggs on everything here too now, all-of-a-sudden, over the past few years. Especially in the trendier new places.

Like an egg on a BLT sandwich. So wrong.

And enchiladas, even. I don't WANT egg on my enchilada.!

And eggs aren't eggs anymore at those places. They are "natural, farm raised eggs" as if other eggs were somehow UNNATURAL, and as if ALL eggs didn't come from farms.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍗 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 5/29/2018
« Reply #732 on: May 29, 2018, 06:39:32 PM »
Missed Lunch today AGAIN!  ::)  Another good excuse though, after the Holiday Weekend and my Vacation at Hospital last week, I had to go shopping for Medicines plus while out and about I did some Prep Shopping as well just in case I live until SHTF Day here on the Last Great Frontier.  ::)

I encourage other Diner Chefs to pick up the slack with meals when I miss them.  Someday, you will have to carry the ball in the Kitchen all on your own, so this is a good time to get in some practice!

For today's Dinner, we are going with one of the cheaper parts of the chicken you can buy, the Drumsticks🍗, aka legs.   You can pull these down for $1.99/lb here on the Last Great Frontier ON SALE.  This because most chicken parts buyers will buy the Breasts, specifically Boneless Breasts which with Organic Chickens come in just about as expensive as some Beef Cuts like chuck or flank steak. The best way to buy a chicken generally speaking is Whole, then you get the Giblets with it and can make a nice rich Matzoh Ball Soup along with whatever chicken dish you concoct, but you will get more meat at a cheaper price if you buy legs or thighs.  I personally am not a big fan of thighs, although the Boneless version is good for Stuffing.

I have a soft spot for Legs🍗 though, back in my years as a Clinical Chemist in NY Shity, there was a little hole in the wall place called "Rego's Roost" I would buy my Dinner at the Hospital when I was short on cash.  I would buy a 2-Piecer, Fried Breast (with Bones and Skin) and Leg🍗 plus Fries and a Biscuit for $2.95.  Besides Frying though, there are many GREAT recipes for Drumsticks🍗!  In recent years, Wings have made an inroad into the Restaurant Market as an Appetizer, and I think Drumsticks🍗 would be a good and even meatier addition to an appetizer meal as well.  Although if that happened, it would likely raise the price of a Family Pack of Drumsticks🍗, which is great for feeding your Homeless Friends some solid Animal Protein as well as also making Matzoh Ball Soup if you have enough leg bones.

Below is a nice & tasty looking Asian Recipe. With this meal, I would suggest Stir-Fried  BamBoo Shoots, Bean Sprouts and Snow Peas over Rice as accompaniment for a main Dinner Dish, with 3-4 Drumsticks.

RE

Sweet n Sticky Baked Chicken Drumsticks🍗
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 06:42:19 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 5/30/2018
« Reply #733 on: May 30, 2018, 01:16:57 AM »
A real favorite amongst Regular Diners.  Great Variety in one Breakfast Maeal, and you can eat it in the car on the Morning commute also!   :icon_sunny:

RE

Quad Quiche

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍄 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 5/30/2018
« Reply #734 on: May 30, 2018, 01:04:39 PM »
For the Lunch Special today, we're going with a favorite of mine from the Trucker years, a salad🥗/sandwich🥪 combo from Panera Bread, along with their Wild Mushroom🍄 Soup, only available periodically on their menu.  At the Diner, this combo is available year-round.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Wild Mushroom🍄 Soup

Greek Salad🥗

Tuna Sandwich🥪

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN