4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 76786 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2018, 09:05:19 AM »
Lobster shacks Surly???   Everywhere, you couldn't count them all.

However, as I was explaining to Eddie, they are shacks but their prices are no longer shack prices, more like fine gourmet places, many play the cash only game too.

Your correct though, nothing like a lobster right out of the water by the ocean .

When I toured coastal New England was the mid 80s, and I recall lobster shacks being as affordable as they were delightful. Times have apparently changed.
You are right about a never-frozen lobster served fresh.

You know, in coastal Virginia you can't even find a decent lobster? My friends have been out in search of one in vain. All the crabs, shrimp and scallops you can stand, but too far south for decent lobster.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:42 AM »
Lobster shacks Surly???   Everywhere, you couldn't count them all.

However, as I was explaining to Eddie, they are shacks but their prices are no longer shack prices, more like fine gourmet places, many play the cash only game too.

Your correct though, nothing like a lobster right out of the water by the ocean .

When I toured coastal New England was the mid 80s, and I recall lobster shacks being as affordable as they were delightful. Times have apparently changed.
You are right about a never-frozen lobster served fresh.

You know, in coastal Virginia you can't even find a decent lobster? My friends have been out in search of one in vain. All the crabs, shrimp and scallops you can stand, but too far south for decent lobster.

They were nice mom and pop family operations then Surly. How well I remember.

They have mostly sold out to the pig men. The smart ass guys who know how to charge, form associations in the area where they all charge the same within a dollar or two to make it look good. They don't even do the twin lobster specials anymore until the soft shell lobster season. I could cry at what they did. Some own three or four places in the same area and pretend they are all different to fix the prices high.

Hate to say it but corruption is everywhere Surly, your not a customer anymore they want to please and have come back, you a tourist they want to screw as much as possible because another will take your seat tomorrow.

Hate to be so negative guys, Maine is my summer habitat, but our countries business has been taken over mostly by scoundrels.   :'( :-\

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
@ Surly

My one visit to the Outer Banks was a very special trip. The coast in your area is so incredibly picturesque. And the restaurants have sweet tea. Civilized.

On the Texas coast, hurricanes have obliterated the beach houses of the past, and the dunes are full of rattlesnakes. It is no surprise to me that the Native Americans of the Texas  coast were cannibals.

Correction: Although said to be cannibals by some older accounts, apparently proof of this is lacking. They were pretty primitive. It's tough country on the land side. They were the Karankawas, probably descended from Carib tribes.

One favorite Texas historian of mine referred to two prominent Texas tribes that were not well known. The Crankyways and the Honkytonks. You can see how I could grow up to be confused.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:44:05 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 06, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »
It's always something of a crapshoot when you go to quaint Bed & Breakfast hotels in the smaller towns, but you do a lot of research before you settle on one.  I couldn't recommend one today, it's over 20 years since I traveled around Maine.  I certainly would not stay in a big hotel like the Hilton in Portland though,  Hiltons are the same everywhere.  Portland is just like Boston, only somewhat smaller and not as dirty.

It is true that "Lobster Shacks" for the most part really aren't shacks anymore, that transition was already occuring 20 years ago.  Prices are jacked up high, because tourists don't think they are eating in a good restaurant unless they pay high prices.  Again here, you have to do a lot of research if you don't have someone who has recently been to the neighborhood and can make recommendations.  There is tons of information available on the web though.

I would start with looking at travelogs of people who have been to the area and decide on a location first.  Then start researching Bed & Breakfasts.  Depends how long you want your trip to be also, if it's just a long weekend trip then one town and one B&B is probably fine.  If you are talking a week long trip, you probably want to hit 2 or 3 towns and different places to stay.  Fly into Portland and rent a car.

Also depends if you want to incorporate sailing into the vacation.  For that, you won't beat Bar Harbor I am pretty sure.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #784 on: June 06, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
@ Surly

One favorite Texas historian of mine referred to two prominent Texas tribes that were not well known. The Crankyways and the Honkytonks. You can see how I could grow up to be confused.

Kinky Friedman?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 06, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
My memory is going bad. I very much want to attribute that one to Ralph W. Steen, who was the Dean of my college, and a real historian who wrote bad textbooks that we read as kids.

But this was from a Texas History humor book I read when I was collecting my work-study check for sitting on my fanny guarding access to the Special Collections on Saturday in the college library. I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Kinky's dad was a UT professor, and he and his wife were lucky to somehow be able to buy a summer camp for kids in Kerrville, which is such a beautiful place I can't describe it adequately. Beautiful clear rivers there. Kinky wrote about that place in a novel of his called Armadillos and Old Lace. I read all his books, I think, but that one is special.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:09 AM »

Kinky had some good lines, though. Most of them aren't archived on the net, but here are a few of the better known quotes......

Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail.

I support gay marriage. I believe they have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us.

Remember: Y'all is singular. All y'all is plural. All y'all's is plural possessive.

Politics is the only field in which the more experience you have, the worse you get.

We're first on executions. We're 49th in funding public education. We're in a race with Mississippi for the bottom, and we're winning.

I'll keep us out of war with Oklahoma! (Gubernatorial campaign slogan)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 06, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
It's always something of a crapshoot when you go to quaint Bed & Breakfast hotels in the smaller towns, but you do a lot of research before you settle on one.  I couldn't recommend one today, it's over 20 years since I traveled around Maine.  I certainly would not stay in a big hotel like the Hilton in Portland though,  Hiltons are the same everywhere.  Portland is just like Boston, only somewhat smaller and not as dirty.

It is true that "Lobster Shacks" for the most part really aren't shacks anymore, that transition was already occuring 20 years ago.  Prices are jacked up high, because tourists don't think they are eating in a good restaurant unless they pay high prices.  Again here, you have to do a lot of research if you don't have someone who has recently been to the neighborhood and can make recommendations.  There is tons of information available on the web though.

I would start with looking at travelogs of people who have been to the area and decide on a location first.  Then start researching Bed & Breakfasts.  Depends how long you want your trip to be also, if it's just a long weekend trip then one town and one B&B is probably fine.  If you are talking a week long trip, you probably want to hit 2 or 3 towns and different places to stay.  Fly into Portland and rent a car.

Also depends if you want to incorporate sailing into the vacation.  For that, you won't beat Bar Harbor I am pretty sure.

RE

Yes hard to beat Bar Harbor for that.

Let me assure you to Eddie that despite the negative slant I gave on the lodgings and eateries, ther is no more beautiful place than Maine in the Summer or Fall. Believe me as well that it can 100 degrees during the day but as soon as the sun goes down on that beautiful ice cold Atlantic your cool comfortable an enjoying Mother Nature's air conditioning. It's truly a wonderful experience. The fresh air on the Maine coast seems to have a body and texture to it and hold more oxygen than anywhere else.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 06, 2018, 10:57:56 AM »
Okay, it's definitely on the bucket list now. Maybe I can surprise the missus.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #789 on: June 06, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »
Hate to say it but corruption is everywhere Surly, your not a customer anymore they want to please and have come back, you a tourist they want to screw as much as possible because another will take your seat tomorrow.

Hate to be so negative guys, Maine is my summer habitat, but our countries business has been taken over mostly by scoundrels.   :'( :-\

Scoundrels not specific to New England. They do the same thing here. I make it a point of principle to never go to Virginia Beach after Memorial day and before Labor day.

You're not a customer, you're a wallet to be mined as quickly and thoroughly as possible. And then, "Next man up!"

Seems like every aspect of the economy is modeled after gas and mining companies, specializing in the practice and politics of extraction. Max out your quarter, don't look back, and devil take the hindmost. To do otherwise is to be a fool, because you're competitor will.

Not surprising that the awareness (and boldness) of these practices occurs at the same time that our social connections are at an all time low. On other threads, we've discussed thois. I recall looking at my parents' and grandparents' photo albums, where people had active social lives. They dressed up, they Went Out, they attended clubs, went to dances, visited others' houses, played cards, drank, smoked, and talked shit. Archaeological evidence of a rich life now disappeared.

No wonder we are mined for profit. No social connection, no social cohesion.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 06, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »

Definitely try to get there before it ends up like the VI.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 06, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
My memory is going bad. I very much want to attribute that one to Ralph W. Steen, who was the Dean of my college, and a real historian who wrote bad textbooks that we read as kids.

But this was from a Texas History humor book I read when I was collecting my work-study check for sitting on my fanny guarding access to the Special Collections on Saturday in the college library. I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Kinky's dad was a UT professor, and he and his wife were lucky to somehow be able to buy a summer camp for kids in Kerrville, which is such a beautiful place I can't describe it adequately. Beautiful clear rivers there. Kinky wrote about that place in a novel of his called Armadillos and Old Lace. I read all his books, I think, but that one is special.

A little searching makes me think the book I'm thinking of is one of the ones written by a guy named Frank X. Tolbert, who was what we used to call a newspaperman.

Frank X. Tolbert
Journalist

Joseph Francis Tolbert, better known as Frank X. Tolbert, was a Texas journalist, historian, and chili enthusiast. For the Dallas Morning News, he wrote a local history column called Tolbert's Texas that ran from 1946 until his death in 1984.

Born: July 27, 1912, Amarillo, TX
Died: January 9, 1984

Books: A Bowl of Red, Tolbert's Texas, The day of San Jacinto, MORE

Awards: Spur Award for Best Nonfiction

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »

Definitely try to get there before it ends up like the VI.

RE

I was thinking for my wife's birthday, which is within a few days of yours. Think I have time?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/6/2018
« Reply #793 on: June 06, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
We arrived back in the Big Apple around 6PM, after a delay on the Tappan Zee bridge caused by motoristas rubbernecking a tractor trailer jacknifing on the other side of the road.  Once past that though, we were OK for the drive downtown on the West Side Highway to hit Smith & Wollensky's.  Street Parking down in that neighborhood is impossible during the day, but after 6PM you can find free spots and not have to pay the exorbitant charges of the parking garages.  We got out of the Chevy, stretched our legs and dusted off some of the dirt, then walked the couple couple of blocks to S&W.

If it was just two normal dirty young guys in jeans & sneakers, the Maitre d' probably would not have sat us at a table, but the staff at S&W knew both of us.  Ted's dad was a famous Writer and he had dined there often.  I was developing a rep as an epicure, and besides shooting pics for the Spectator I also periodically wrote restaurant reviews.  So he sat us at a nice table that was near the back and the Wine Steward came right over, even though we were both below 21.  In those days, the drinking age in NY Shity was 18.  I wasn't 18 yet, but nobody ever asked for an ID in those days either.

After some discussion over all the fabulous Steaks🥩 available on the menu, we decided to share a 32 oz Porterhouse🥩.  We flipped a coin to see who would get the First Choice of slices and who would get to gnaw on the bone.  I got the first slice choice, Ted got the bone.  I would have rather had it the other way, but you can't win them all.  :(

RE

32 oz Porterhouse Steak🥩
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 06, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »
I was thinking for my wife's birthday, which is within a few days of yours. Think I have time?

Ask Jeff Masters or Bob Henson.  Weather is not my specialty.

RE
Save As Many As You Can