4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 87553 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #795 on: June 06, 2018, 02:19:24 PM »
Lotta nice looking B&Bs in the neighborhood.  Looks like it will set you back around $200/night.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g60709-zft9190-Bar_Harbor_Mount_Desert_Island_Maine-Hotel-Deals.html

The Acadia Bay Inn looks like it has some real nice views.

https://www.acadiabayinn.com/

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/6/2018
« Reply #796 on: June 06, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »
We arrived back in the Big Apple around 6PM, after a delay on the Tappan Zee bridge caused by motoristas rubbernecking a tractor trailer jacknifing on the other side of the road.  Once past that though, we were OK for the drive downtown on the West Side Highway to hit Smith & Wollensky's.  Street Parking down in that neighborhood is impossible during the day, but after 6PM you can find free spots and not have to pay the exorbitant charges of the parking garages.  We got out of the Chevy, stretched our legs and dusted off some of the dirt, then walked the couple couple of blocks to S&W.

If it was just two normal dirty young guys in jeans & sneakers, the Maitre d' probably would not have sat us at a table, but the staff at S&W knew both of us.  Ted's dad was a famous Writer and he had dined there often.  I was developing a rep as an epicure, and besides shooting pics for the Spectator I also periodically wrote restaurant reviews.  So he sat us at a nice table that was near the back and the Wine Steward came right over, even though we were both below 21.  In those days, the drinking age in NY Shity was 18.  I wasn't 18 yet, but nobody ever asked for an ID in those days either.

After some discussion over all the fabulous Steaks🥩 available on the menu, we decided to share a 32 oz Porterhouse🥩.  We flipped a coin to see who would get the First Choice of slices and who would get to gnaw on the bone.  I got the first slice choice, Ted got the bone.  I would have rather had it the other way, but you can't win them all.  :(

RE

32 oz Porterhouse Steak🥩

Nice to eat somewhere you're known. Most of my friends are waiters. Dinner is my social life, period.  Bartlett's is not the fanciest restaurant I've ever been seated in, but it is without a doubt the best steaks and sides and service of anywhere I've been.

I gave up on Ruth's Chris. I used to eat there years ago before they moved to the high rent downtown location. I used to eat at Ray's which was famous here, but Ray died (he weighed 400  pounds or so). They have McCormick and Shmick here now, but it's in a planned development that looks like a fake neighborhood (I hate that).

I've been to Lawry's in Chicago and in SF. I've been to Morton's in Chicago. I still like Bartlett's better than any of 'em.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 06, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »
Lotta nice looking B&Bs in the neighborhood.  Looks like it will set you back around $200/night.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g60709-zft9190-Bar_Harbor_Mount_Desert_Island_Maine-Hotel-Deals.html

The Acadia Bay Inn looks like it has some real nice views.

https://www.acadiabayinn.com/

RE

I don't ever plan on a sail while traveling with my wife. It never seems to work out. Maybe a dinner cruise. If I go East, there's jet lag. I sleep in. I waste too much of my day, most days.

These days my greatest enjoyment is my morning coffee, hopefully enjoyed outdoors with a nice view like that. Maybe a nice pastry. Do some walking around or driving.....followed by a nice dinner.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/6/2018
« Reply #798 on: June 06, 2018, 02:51:18 PM »
Nice to eat somewhere you're known. Most of my friends are waiters. Dinner is my social life, period.  Bartlett's is not the fanciest restaurant I've ever been seated in, but it is without a doubt the best steaks and sides and service of anywhere I've been.

I gave up on Ruth's Chris. I used to eat there years ago before they moved to the high rent downtown location. I used to eat at Ray's which was famous here, but Ray died (he weighed 400  pounds or so). They have McCormick and Shmick here now, but it's in a planned development that looks like a fake neighborhood (I hate that).

I've been to Lawry's in Chicago and in SF. I've been to Morton's in Chicago. I still like Bartlett's better than any of 'em.

If I make it down to Austin once more before I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond, we'll go out for a steak at Bartlett's

I had one real good steak at the Ruth's Chris in Indianapolis during Nationals.  Otherwise, I found the chain disappointing, especially for the price.

No good steakhouse up here if you come for a visit to do some Whale Watching.  The Crow's Nest at Cap'n Cook sometimes has a good cut of meat on the menu, but they change the menu fairly often so it's uncertain what will be up for ordering.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
I'm good with smoked salmon any day.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 06, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
I'm good with smoked salmon any day.

Fish & Shellfish of course is another story.  Not even Maine outdoes Alaska for Fish.

BTW, on those sailing trips around the Bar Harbor area, you can get anything from a full on charter to just an afternoon or evening cruise.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu - Hilltop Steak House
« Reply #801 on: June 06, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
Moton's was a disappointment to me, as was Capital Grille.

It was not a fancy place by any means but the Hilltop Steak House was the very best Steak dinner in Boston. Bought out by a pigman who soon ruined it. Closed up and bankrupt a few years ago. One of the countries busiest places in it's heyday. Always a half hour to hour wait to get in and it was a huge place.

Words could not describe the steaks or the size of them. How I miss it.  :'( :'(

Why do you buy Gold GO?

Do you really think there is going to be inflation?

The Dollar is the world's strongest currency and the world's reserve currency, don't be so silly.

You can't eat it and pieces of paper and plastic cards are so much easier to carry and use at the store.

Think positive GO and stop being a crank and pessimist. Everything is going to be OK.

Note the date on the menu Diners.  :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study:

The Hilltop was known, in part for their decorations outside including a 68-foot-high neon cactus and cows. At least at one time, they were "America's largest restaurant, both in number of customers served and sales volume. On a typical Saturday, the Hilltop, a sprawling Ponderosa that accommodated 1,300 carnivores, rustled up about 7,800 meals. It served nearly 2.4 million customers annually, three times the volume of the nation's second-largest restaurant, Tavern on the Green in Manhattan." In 1987, they exceeded $27 million gross.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilltop_Steakhouse

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥞 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 6/7/2018
« Reply #802 on: June 07, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
Here's one I never had, even when Inter-railing through the Netherlands.  Looks scrumptious! 😋  They give it the bowl shape by baking it in a Dutch Oven.

RE

Fresh Berry Dutch Baby Pancake with Macadamia Nuts
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu - Hilltop Steak House
« Reply #803 on: June 07, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »

It was not a fancy place by any means but the Hilltop Steak House was the very best Steak dinner in Boston. Bought out by a pigman who soon ruined it. Closed up and bankrupt a few years ago. One of the countries busiest places in it's heyday. Always a half hour to hour wait to get in and it was a huge place.

Back when I was a kid, the Go-To place in NY Shity for the best steak was the Cattlemen's Restaurant.  They had 2 or 3 locations in NY and others outside NY too.  Dad the Pigman took us there for dinner a few times before we left for Brazil.

Here were the prices in 1981:

In terms of inflation, you have to consider what the salaries were in 1981.  Around $13K.  Today the average salary is around $50K, almost quadruple that.  So actually relatively speaking, a steak dinner has gotten cheaper over the time period.

RE
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 01:32:48 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 07, 2018, 03:45:21 AM »
Back when I was a kid, the Go-To place in NY Shity for the best steak was the Cattlemen's Restaurant.  They had 2 or 3 locations in NY and others outside NY too.  Dad the Pigman took us there for dinner a few times before we left for Brazil.

How tempting. Could there be anything more inviting in the dining world than the menu from a First Class steak house. I doubt it.

Have a strong suspicion this one had a most interesting list of grape juice offerings as well. ;D

As an observation on that superb inviting menu, my eyes were drawn to a favorite of mine, seldom offered these days. Roast Duck a L'Orange. Let me assure anyone that hasn't had the pleasure, prepared and cooked properly it is a dish to die for, a culinary delight. Paired with a fine French wine or a simple Beaujolais one can enjoy heaven on earth.  :icon_sunny:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 07, 2018, 03:52:52 AM »

How tempting. Could there be anything more inviting in the dining world than the menu from a First Class steak house. I doubt it.

Have a strong suspicion this one had a most interesting list of grape juice offerings as well. ;D

As an observation on that superb inviting menu, my eyes were drawn to a favorite of mine, seldom offered these days. Roast Duck a L'Orange. Let me assure anyone that hasn't had the pleasure, prepared and cooked properly it is a dish to die for, a culinary delight. Paired with a fine French wine or a simple Beaujolais one can enjoy heaven on earth.  :icon_sunny:     

Nice selection GO!  We'll make Duck a L'Orange our Dinner Special tonight!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 07, 2018, 03:58:13 AM »

Nice selection GO!  We'll make Duck a L'Orange our Dinner Special tonight!

RE

:emthup: :emthup: :emthup:  Don't forget the Grape Juice RE, it adds a certain ambience to the visual dining experience.   :exp-grin: :icon_sunny:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🧀 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 6/7/2018
« Reply #807 on: June 07, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
Similar to French Onion Soup, this is a great way to make use of stale bread and aging cheese🧀 and makes a fabulous and filling lunch.  Back in the old days in France, they didn't let any food go to waste.

RE

Cheese🧀 Fondue
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:00:40 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦆 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/7/2018
« Reply #808 on: June 07, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »
Tonight's dinner prepared by Chef GO, a brand new recipe here at the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Requested also was a bottle of Vino to go with the meal, as acting Wine Steward tonight I am recommending our Pinot Noir, which on Duck🦆 special nights is available by the Glass, Carafe or Full Bottle at a 20% discount off our regular prices.

Reminder here, all Diners are always free to suggest a Wine🍷 or Beer🍺 to go with any of our Special offerings.  I have enough work picking out the dishes and preparations, I don't need more time on Google searching down Wines🍷.  ::) Also feel free to add appetizers, side dishes and deserts to any dinner meal.

RE

Duck🦆 a L'Orange

Recommended Wine🍷: Pinot Noir
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🦆 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 6/7/2018
« Reply #809 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
Tonight's dinner prepared by Chef GO, a brand new recipe here at the Diner.  :icon_sunny:

Requested also was a bottle of Vino to go with the meal, as acting Wine Steward tonight I am recommending our Pinot Noir, which on Duck🦆 special nights is available by the Glass, Carafe or Full Bottle at a 20% discount off our regular prices.

Reminder here, all Diners are always free to suggest a Wine🍷 or Beer🍺 to go with any of our Special offerings.  I have enough work picking out the dishes and preparations, I don't need more time on Google searching down Wines🍷.  ::) Also feel free to add appetizers, side dishes and deserts to any dinner meal.

RE

Duck🦆 a L'Orange

Recommended Wine🍷: Pinot Noir

Well done, gents. Well done. Wish I had a better wine palate, but I doubt I could do better than the Pinot. Love a good Pinot Noir.

How about I suggest a dessert? I would rarely vote GO's proxy, but based on past conversations I trust he would approve.

“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”