4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 47877 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍓 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 7/20/2018
« Reply #945 on: July 20, 2018, 06:57:14 AM »
A little Breakfast Indulgence this morning.  :icon_sunny:  Nothing goes like NY Style Cheesecake🧀 with a black Double Expresso☕ to get you started in the morning.

I only liked NY style cheesecake🧀 as a kid, the light and fluffy kind.  I never got the knack for cooking that up myself.

RE

NY Style Strawberry🍓 Cheesecake🧀
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #946 on: July 20, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
I drank my coffee black for a long long time, but at some point I added the dairy. Now I LOVE cafe au lait. Not sure how I choked the black coffee down for 35 years. Half and half for me.

At my age, I love my coffee almost as much as I love anything else I can think of. Makes life a little better, for sure.

Cheesecake is not my thing. Yankee food. The only Yankee food I like much is pot roast.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 20, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
I drank my coffee black for a long long time, but at some point I added the dairy. Now I LOVE cafe au lait. Not sure how I choked the black coffee down for 35 years. Half and half for me.

At my age, I love my coffee almost as much as I love anything else I can think of. Makes life a little better, for sure.

Cheesecake is not my thing. Yankee food. The only Yankee food I like much is pot roast.

Well, in the case of cheesecake, that IS your dairy with the coffee, and the sugar too.  You take a bite of cheesecake and wash it down with a sip of coffee, swirling noth together with your tongue as it goes down.  You taste all the flavors this way independently.  Coffee is in fact one of the few things I will eat sweetened food with.  I like chocolate ice cream with coffee also and a cheese danish is pretty good too.

Far as "Yankee Food" goes, when I hear somebody from TX talk I can only think of the scene from Full Metal Jacket.  "You from Texas boy?  Only Steers & Queers come from Texas.  Which one are you?"  Cafe au lait?  Now we know which one you are! :P

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: July 20, 2018, 03:56:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZSvLTfDRrw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YZSvLTfDRrw&fs=1</a>-
105F in Austin today. Expecting 109F on Monday. It's fuckin' hot!

(Fur your furriners, that's 42.77777 degrees Celsius)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: July 20, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZSvLTfDRrw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YZSvLTfDRrw&fs=1</a>-

Yes indeedy.....
Short smoke breaks outside today.

We are about a dead even horse race in Temps Ed. Comes with the territory  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 20, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »

Yes indeedy.....
Short smoke breaks outside today.

We are about a dead even horse race in Temps Ed. Comes with the territory  :icon_sunny:

75F, Bright Blue Skies & Low Humidity, all week here.  It's fucking" HOT!  lol.

Hope this weather pattern holds into August for the Last Great Alaskan Adventure!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #951 on: July 21, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
Ouch.

Meat and dairy companies to surpass oil industry as world’s biggest polluters, report finds
'There’s no other choice. Meat and dairy production in the countries where the top 35 companies dominate must be significantly reduced'--

Meat and dairy companies are on track to be the world’s biggest contributors to climate change, outpacing even the fossil fuel industry, according to a new report.

To arrive at this conclusion, non-profit organisations the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy and GRAIN conducted an analysis of the planet’s 35 largest meat and dairy companies.

They found that broadly speaking the companies were being secretive about their emissions data and few had set hard targets intended to deal with their pollution. 

If these industries continue down their current path, the authors of the report warned that the livestock sector could be responsible for 80 per cent of the allowable greenhouse gas budget by 2050.

“There’s no other choice. Meat and dairy production in the countries where the top 35 companies dominate must be significantly reduced,” said Devlin Kuyek, a researcher at GRAIN.

“These corporations are pushing for trade agreements that will increase exports and emissions, and they are undermining real climate solutions like agroecology that benefit farmers, workers and consumers." 

Watch Full Screen

When taken together, the world’s top five meat and dairy corporations are already responsible for more emissions than ExxonMobil, Shell or BP.

Meat and dairy consumption is concentrated in a small number of countries, and the top livestock companies mirror this trend.

China, the US, the EU, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand are collectively responsible for over 60 per cent of global meat and dairy emissions – about twice the rest of the world on a per capita basis.

As part of their analysis, the authors looked at efforts being taken to reduce emissions and found that only six had set targets that included their entire supply chain, despite this portion counting for up to 90 per cent of total emissions.

The report adds to a growing body of evidence for the harm meat and dairy consumption can cause to the planet.

A paper published in the journal Sciencein June found that if everyone stopped eating meat and dairy products, global farmland use could be reduced by three quarters.

This led the study’s lead author to describe a vegan diet as “the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth”. 

The authors of the new report said this analysis was evidence of the far-reaching impact of the livestock industry and the need for food systems that meet the needs of farmers, consumers and the planet.

“It’s time we realised over-consumption is directly linked to the subsidies we provide the industry to continue deforesting, depleting our natural resources and creating a major public health hazard through antibiotic overuse,” said Shefali Sharma, director of IATP.

“This report shows what a key role they play in creating climate change as well.” 

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Menu: Vote for your favorite Steak
« Reply #952 on: July 21, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
Ouch.

Meat and dairy companies to surpass oil industry as world’s biggest polluters, report finds

BBQ those last Big Fat Juicy Prime Steaks🥩 while you still can!  Vote for your favorite cut of BEEF!

Note: These are favorite cuts for the Grill.  If you prefer another cut, feel free to add it!

Porter House🥩

Rib Eye🥩

Ribs🍖

New York Strip Steak🥩

Fillet Mignon🥩

Now fire up that grill!

Steak🥩 on th Grill

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #953 on: July 21, 2018, 07:18:33 AM »
Too hard a choice.

Yes to everything.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🥩 Doomstead Diner Menu: Vote for your favorite Steak
« Reply #954 on: July 21, 2018, 07:30:39 AM »
Rib Eye without any doubt or pondering.

Always tender flavorful melt in your mouth steak that never disappoints.

Rare of course and don't forget the  Sauce

Chef GO tip for finer dining.  Whole Foods has a Worcestershire sauce that is absolutely "Bursting" with flavor. Out does the one everyone uses by a wide margin.

GO Five Star Recommendation ***** Instead   :emthup: :emthup:

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #955 on: July 21, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »
Can't argue.

I have never developed a taste for Worcestershire, and I can't really tell you why. I think it masks the flavor of the meet, although fans think it adds flavor notes that enhance. Matter of taste...

OTOH, my wife is a big fan of the Lea and Perrins variety. I will tell her about the Whole Foods offering!

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 21, 2018, 07:56:37 AM »
Can't argue.

I have never developed a taste for Worcestershire, and I can't really tell you why. I think it masks the flavor of the meet, although fans think it adds flavor notes that enhance. Matter of taste...

OTOH, my wife is a big fan of the Lea and Perrins variety. I will tell her about the Whole Foods offering!

I use it sparingly and find it enhances rather than masks, but of course it is all preference and taste. Rib Eye is the only time it is used by me.

Surly, Tell Contrary to shake it extra thoroughly before usage as it is loaded  with spices that tend to sink to the bottom of the bottle and coagulate. Warn her as well that a lesser amount than she usually places might be wise for her first try. "Bon Appetite"

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 21, 2018, 10:11:21 AM »
No prime rib? Is prime rib not considered a steak among you beef gourmands?

If I'm dining out I like prime rib, rare, which I had last night, as is my custom on Friday night.

First was a smoked salmon appetizer (which food-allergy daughter can have) served with toast points, capers and onions and a white mayonnaise-y spread.

Then a steakhouse-style American salad with a buttermilk-garlic dressing (that I know from my research is roughly half mayonnaise and half sour cream, with some garlic and paprika thrown in).

Then rare prime rib with horseradish and au jus, with a baked potato. With all that warm-up, I can never eat the whole steak.

Washed down with good fresh iced tea with lemon and moderate sugar, since I'm currently not drinking at dinner. In this heat, the tea goes down good.

If I'm grilling personally, I favor tenderloins. I use only salt, fresh ground pepper, and fresh ground garlic, and then I grille them with the lid on the smoker, usually with some mesquite chunks to enhance the smoke flavor.

I have surprised some very snotty people with this simple approach. It is getting the heat just right, and not overcooking the steaks, that is the key to a good outcome, in my experience.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: July 21, 2018, 10:40:31 AM »
I do use the Whole Foods 365 brand Worcestershire Sauce. It's the go-to for pork chops, around here.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 21, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
No prime rib? Is prime rib not considered a steak among you beef gourmands?

"Prime Rib" is just Rib Eye Steaks before the butcher slices up that roast section into individual steaks.

Prepared this way, it's not usually done over a grill unless you have a REALLY big one and a large rotisserie to slow roast it over the coals, or even smoke it.  I only ever had it done that way in Churascarias in Brazil.  In most restaurants though and at home it is usually prepared in the oven.  A Prime Rib roast in the butcher shop comes in 7 rib or 3 or 4 rib sections.

Rib Eye steaks are all 7 rib sections sliced up individually and cook best on the grill.

In both cases, you can get either Bone-In or Boneless.  Bone-In is the more flavorful.

A Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast from Chicago Steaks runs around $360 On Sale.  That's the 4 bone model running 8-9 lbs.  That's cook it yourself, not in a restaurant.  Dinner for around 8 -9 people, just the main course.  You can of course get cheaper ones at your local Food Superstore, but not usually the quality of Chicago Steaks or Omaha Straks.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN