4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 44940 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🦀🐟 Doomstead Diner Friday Dinner Special: 8/10/2018
« Reply #990 on: August 10, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
It's Fish Friday here at the Diner!  :icon_sunny:

In anticipation of the upcoming Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure, today we are going the FULL Alaskan, with King👑 Crab🦀 stuffed King👑 Salmon🐟.  Truly, a meal fit for a KING!👑

Nothing further needs to be said.

Launch for the Adventure now at T-5 Days and Counting.

RE

Alaskan King👑 Crab🦀 Stuffed Alaskan King👑 Salmon🐟
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #991 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:09 PM »
I'm really looking forward to some good salmon for a change. It's hard to come by here. Headed to Bartlett's for Friday night prime rib in a little while. They have a nice smoked-in-house salmon appetizer, but I wouldn't risk the $38 for the fresh salmon entree. I've just been let down a lot. (Not just there...B's is still my favorite joint. Their steaks are amazing.

Everybody sells salmon here but none of it is really good. Rarely have I not been disappointed, Sea food just needs to be fresh. Here the best fish is red snapper, flounder, and we seem to get okay swordfish, or maybe it is more forgiving.

Crab. I do love crab, too. And I know you have big prawns. Not sure how that will compare to Gulf shrimp. We love shrimp.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 10, 2018, 07:08:42 PM »
I'm really looking forward to some good salmon for a change. It's hard to come by here. Headed to Bartlett's for Friday night prime rib in a little while. They have a nice smoked-in-house salmon appetizer, but I wouldn't risk the $38 for the fresh salmon entree. I've just been let down a lot. (Not just there...B's is still my favorite joint. Their steaks are amazing.

Everybody sells salmon here but none of it is really good. Rarely have I not been disappointed, Sea food just needs to be fresh. Here the best fish is red snapper, flounder, and we seem to get okay swordfish, or maybe it is more forgiving.

Crab. I do love crab, too. And I know you have big prawns. Not sure how that will compare to Gulf shrimp. We love shrimp.

You will find fresh crab dishes to your heart's content on your Maine stopover. I assume Alaska as well but crab dishes are a staple at Maine eateries from crabcakes to stuffed mushrooms and casseroles. Supermarkets also have plenty of fresh crabmeat for sale in Maine. Add your own favorite condiments and make a delicious crabmeat sandwich. Scrumptious

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 10, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
That looks awesome.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 10, 2018, 07:24:43 PM »

You will find fresh crab dishes to your heart's content on your Maine stopover. I assume Alaska as well but crab dishes are a staple at Maine eateries from crabcakes to stuffed mushrooms and casseroles. Supermarkets also have plenty of fresh crabmeat for sale in Maine. Add your own favorite condiments and make a delicious crabmeat sandwich. Scrumptious

I prefer Snow Crab or King Crab to Dungeness Crab, but as long as it's not FAKE CRAB (Suriname), I am good with it.  :icon_sunny:  Snow Crab Clusters are ON SALE right now at 3 Bears for $12.99/lb.  What does the crab go for in Maine?

RE
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:26:40 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 10, 2018, 07:32:20 PM »
I sometimes do a king crab leg boil here. I have to use frozen from Sam's at $22/pound. My crowd can polish off 5 pounds and still have room left for an Angus tenderloin. It isn't bad. I think it's precooked to make it last longer, but I reboil it briefly.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 10, 2018, 08:17:04 PM »
I sometimes do a king crab leg boil here. I have to use frozen from Sam's at $22/pound. My crowd can polish off 5 pounds and still have room left for an Angus tenderloin.

All crab you get anywhere but right off the boat is pre-cooked.  It has too many parasites to freeze raw, even at -50F on the commercial boats.

Crowds like yours are what Crab Stuffing was made for.  Make your stuffing really RICH, withlots of butter, cream, cream cheese, bacon fat etc, then plus the Salmon, it fills them up, and you get all the sweet crab flavor.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 10, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
I sometimes do a king crab leg boil here. I have to use frozen from Sam's at $22/pound. My crowd can polish off 5 pounds and still have room left for an Angus tenderloin. It isn't bad. I think it's precooked to make it last longer, but I reboil it briefly.

Tried both frozen lobster meat and crab. Don't care for them at all. Find they acquire a sort of rubbery texture after freezing. Shrimp for some reason less so.  :dontknow:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 11, 2018, 03:55:56 AM »

I prefer Snow Crab or King Crab to Dungeness Crab, but as long as it's not FAKE CRAB (Suriname), I am good with it.  :icon_sunny:  Snow Crab Clusters are ON SALE right now at 3 Bears for $12.99/lb.  What does the crab go for in Maine?

RE

That's a great price RE. Fifteen bucks a pound is the best I know of around South Portland and usually closer to twenty. Of course there are thousands of eatery prices for the various crab dishes but you can be quite sure, no matter what the price, the serving size will be stingy.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥔Doomstead Diner Saturday Lunch Special: 8/11/2018
« Reply #999 on: August 11, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Today for the Diner Lunch Special sticking with the Full Alaskan theme, we are having Loaded Potato🥔 Skins with Alaska Grown Potatoes🥔.  :icon_sunny:

T-4 Days and Counting.

RE

Loaded Potato🥔 Skins
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 11, 2018, 05:11:11 PM »

The really BIG shrimp we get around here all comes from Thailand.  Size of Lobster Tails sometimes.

I wanted to get some wild caught Alaskan shrimp for you, but they aren't always available.  3 Bears had a variety Alaskan Sidestripers a couple of weeks ago, but they disappeared from the shelf in a day.

These are raw.  They have that pink color BEFORE cooking.

Anyhow, Good Newz is they reappeared in the fresh fish counter today and I snapped up some.  :icon_sunny:  At the bargain price of $10.99/lb also!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: August 11, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
Can't wait. They look great. But will they still be good next week?

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:36 PM »
Can't wait. They look great. But will they still be good next week?

I froze them.  If there are fresh ones still available next week, we'll buy more.  I only bought 1lb.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐻 Doomstead Diner D-Day All Day Special: 8/15/2018
« Reply #1003 on: August 15, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
The BIG DAY has arrived!  Eddie and his SO will be boarding an oil powered bird in a few hours to traverse the vast distance between the Big Dry of Texas and the Soggy Mudhole of Alaska.

Finishing out our Alaskan specials today with one you have to run in the right circles to ever get a chance to eat, Bear🐻 Ham.  First off, the only people who get a hold of the meat to begin with are a few hunters who get tags for bear🐻.  Then if you do get one, you have to smoke it yourself, I don't think even Alaska Seafood & Sausage or Matanuska Meats will smoke a whole ham for you.  If they do, it's going to be wicked expensive.  Then of course you have to be one of the lucky close friends of the Bear🐻-Killer to get invited to the Feast.

I had Bear🐻 Ham once, for Christmas Dinner.  The Oil Exec dad of my prize gymmies was a big hunter, he also went after Big Horn Sheep flying into the Bush for the hunt.  Always plentiful Moose and Caribou sausage in the freezer.

Bear🐻 Ham is very rich, and you need to trim off a lot of fat before smoking.  Save the fat though, it's GR8 for everything from making candles to greasing the axle on your car to waterproofing your shoes.  I can't make any statement about the final taste, that depends too much on how the meat was Brined, how it was smoked and what the bear was eating before he was dispatched to the Great Beyond.  The one I had was pretty sweet, it was probably feeding on berries before the fateful day arrived.  Brining is a pretty long process, 10-12 days.  Smoking depends on size but ballpark at 10-12 hours.

RE

Bear Ham
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: August 15, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
It's real purty.

When I was buying the new binocs, I had to listen to the Cabela's rep tell me about this AK bear hunt, after I spilled the beans about what I was going to be doing with my new binocs.

Found one pair of my old binocs in the missus's camping backpack while we were packing , natch.....so now i have to use those and give her the new ones. Hardly fair, LOL. The old ones weren't bad though. Leupolds. Good brand. Glad they turned up.

Long as I have you on the line....the only thing i didn't make a hard copy of was the campsite reservations. Think I need to print those, or do you have it in hand?