4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 53563 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/7/2018
« Reply #1230 on: December 07, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
Real soft touchdown today at Tehran International airport, Amelia is a real pro!  Almost didn't feel it at all when the behemoth 747 hit the tarmac.

Heading out for the restaurant for dinner on our ZEV Electric scooters, towel heads were gawking at us like we came from Outer Space.  Some not too friendly looks, so after dinner we decided to cut the visit short and head for Egypt.  We couldn't get flight clearance though and had to give Soros a call.  Clearance came shortly after that.  He called up the Ayatollah in charge of the Treasury and told them he would short the Rial if they didn't let us take off.  ;D

Food was very good though, and at least they didn't poison us or behead us.  Hopefully the Egyptians will be a little more friendly.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Iranian Tumeric & Saffron Salad

Persian Saffron Sour Cherry Rice

Persian Baked Zucchini

Persian Tamarind Stuffed Fish🐟
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/8/2018
« Reply #1231 on: December 08, 2018, 01:20:20 AM »
We touched down at Cairo International Airport around 3AM, and Amelia immediately crashed after logging 16 hours of flying time in the last 24.  We let her sleep through breakfast.

Everybody else headed out for a Breakfast Buffet at Bab Al Qasr, which Soros highly recommended.  He has good taste, it was an excellent choice!

Much friendlier reception here in Egypt, where of course they depend on Tourista income as an economic driver.  We decided over breakfast we would take the ZEVs on a drive over to see the Great Pyramid at Giza and further contribute to the economy.  None of us had ever seen the Pyramids, except in pictures.  We headed back to the airport to wake up Amelia then get rolling for Giza.

RE

Today's Breakfast Special

Egyptian Breakfast Buffet
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:30:34 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌯 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1232 on: December 08, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
We got out on the road for Giza around 11, and stopped at a couple of Food Street Vendors to pick up Lunch to eat by the Pyramids.  Fabulous street food available in Cairo!

We made the trip in about an hour, keeping under the speed limit and found a nice spot with a view of the Great Pyramid to lay out our spread for lunch, before taking the afternoon tour.  While we were eating we got a call from Soros who told us he had some bizness in Cairo and would be flying down on Monday, so not to bother flying up to Budapest.  He also let us use his Suite in the Royal Maxim Palace Kempinski, which house the Bab Al Qasr restaurant, along with 4 others.  We'll go check in there after we get back from Giza.

I got some great Drone footage of the Pyramids with my top of the line DJI Mavic Pro drone, but the fucking Egyptian Police arrested me since the Pyramids are a no-fly zone for drones!  Fortunately, Soros got me off after a phone call to the State Chief of Gestapo.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yZrk4y0gWOg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yZrk4y0gWOg</a>

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Stuffed Grape Leaves

Koshari Lux

Hawawshi Beef Stuffed Pita
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1233 on: December 08, 2018, 05:04:30 PM »
Great afternoon touring the Pyramids, and we headed back to Cairo around 4PM on the ZEVs.  Cairo traffic wasn't too bad, and we headed to the airport to go pack up some gear for the stay at the Royal Maxim Palace Kempinski before checking in.  I of course had to pack up my full size laptop with 16GB of RAM, a 2TB SSD, 17" OLED screen and backlit keyboard to Admin the Diner while on the road.  Aboard Cassandra I have a 24" All in One unit which I really like because it is very eye-friendly, but it's a little big to move around just for a couple of days.

Got to the Kempinsky around 6PM to check in, and let me tell you this place is no Bates Motel!  Soros has a 4 Suite Duplex with upstairs Balconies with the walls knocked overlooking the pool.

The bedrooms in the suite were quite plush, and the bathrooms came complete with hot tubs as well for a soak.

We called the desk after we unpacked to reserve a table at another one of the restaurants, the Lucca, but we were informed we could use Soros' table. (not pictured, it's in a private alcove off to the side)

After dinner we hit the hotel bar for some cocktails with the expected exorbitant prices but it all went on Soros' tab so we got nicely lubricated over the course of a couple of hours.

The dinner buffet as you might expect, was fabulous.  I also ordered a Wagyu Beef Prime Rib and Maine Lobster Surf & Turf.

Tomorrow we will try the Romanov restaurant for breakfast.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Egyptian Dinner Buffet

South African Lobster Tail & Wagyu Prime Rib with Au Jus
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:07:13 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #1234 on: December 08, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »
Was gonna mention, we ate at Fogo de Chao last night. It was teacher daughter's BD and it's one of the places she likes.

Meat-erific. I could fit right in in Brazil as long as the steaks hold out.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #1235 on: December 08, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
Was gonna mention, we ate at Fogo de Chao last night. It was teacher daughter's BD and it's one of the places she likes.

Meat-erific. I could fit right in in Brazil as long as the steaks hold out.

No pics? :(

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1236 on: December 09, 2018, 03:51:57 AM »
While feasting on the fabulous food at the Royal Kepinsky, we started talking about what we would do with our day off on Sunday before the big Monday Meeting with Soros.  On the way to see the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid, we passed by the OTHER side of Cairo, the not so pretty side.  Cairo like most other cities in the 3rd World has sprawling Slums where the not so lucky end up spending their lives in squalor and misery.

We decided we should do an all day trip out to bring meals to the Poor and Homeless of Cairo, as is our main mission on this trip besides gathering new recipes for the Diner.  So I waved over the Maitre d' as we finished dinner and he arrived promptly with a big smile.

"Is there something I can help you with sir?" he inquired.

"Yes.  Can you bring out the Head Chef please?" I requested.

The big smile turned into a worried look and he gave a slight bow and replied "Yes, or course sir." and probably did a world record for the 50 yard dash on his way to the kitchen.

He came back with the Head Chef, who Julia knew as she had taken some refresher classes with him at the Cordon Bleu Culinary Arts school in Paris a couple of years earlier.  She stood up, and gave him a big hug, which visibly took most of the tension off the Maitre d's face, who looked like he might have a coronary as he walked up to the table.

The Chef turned to me after finishing the greeting with Julia and asked "Was everything to your satisfaction, sir?"

"Oh yes, it was marvelous.  We just have a rather big request for tomorrow.  We would like to go out to feed the poor tomorrow and we would like to use your kitchen to prepare the meals after closing time tonight."

The Chef looked at the Maitre d' for what to do, and he wasted no time in responding.

"Oh yes of course sir!  But by no means will you need to do the preparations, we will have our staff stay overtime tonight and come in early to do the preparations for these meals.  How many do you think you will need?"

"About 500 Breakfasts & 500 Lunches"

The Head Chef's eyes practically popped out of his head, but he managed to mumble, "And, uh, what would you like for these meals?"

Julia took up the conversation here.

We can discuss that in the kitchen.  I'm thinking Fuul and Falafels for breakfast would be the easiest to prepare in large quantity".

The chef breathed a sigh of relief.  At least they didn't ask for 500 plates of Eggs Benedict!

I decided to chip in my idea for lunch.  "Your Prime Rib was superb.  I am thinking Prime Rib Sandwiches and a Salad would be a good lunchbox.  Maybe a dozen or so 7 Rib Standing Rib Roasts will do the trick sliced thin."

"Umm, we don't keep that many Wagyu Prime Rib Roasts on hand, will Grade A Prime Beef from Omaha Steaks do?  I can call the distributor here and we can slow roast them tonight and have them sliced and ready to go tomorrow afternoon."

"Yes, sure, that will be fine." I replied.

"OK sir, we will get to work on it right away."

"Thank you so much.  I will let George know what a great help you were to us on Monday".

"Mr. Soros is coming on Monday!" the Maitre d' exclaimed.  "Nobody told me!"

"It was a last minute thing.  Don't worry about it." I said.

"Yes sir." he said, but he still looked petrified.

We headed over to the bar after that and signed the check for the meal, charging it to Soros of course.  ;D

Following that, we headed back to the suite to get a good night's rest for our exertions on Sunday.

Below is the Breakfasts we found prepared and packed in Bento Boxes for the distribution to the Poor, which we started at 6AM and went until 11AM before returning to pick up the Lunches.

RE

Egyptian Fuul & Falafel Breakfast
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:38:00 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1237 on: December 09, 2018, 04:46:02 AM »
//"Mr. Soros is coming on Monday!" the Maitre d' exclaimed.  "Nobody told me!"

"It was a last minute thing.  Don't worry about it." I said.

"Yes sir." he said, but he still looked petrified.

We headed over to the bar after that and signed the check for the meal, charging it to Soros of course.  ;D

You have a very active fantasy life. Plus it is good to see your sense of humor is returning along with your appetite.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥣 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1238 on: December 09, 2018, 04:53:28 AM »
You have a very active fantasy life.

Good thing too, because I would die of boredom from my fascinating real life.

Plus it is good to see your sense of humor is returning along with your appetite.

Sense of humor never left, it's just hard to be funny when you feel like total shit.  Appetite is still erratic.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍱 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1239 on: December 09, 2018, 10:50:21 AM »
About halfway through our schmoozing session at the bar last night, Chef Abdul El-Kabong dropped by to tell us he was heading over to the distributor, who is open 24/7 for deliveries and prepping meats for dry aging, as well as preparing sausage and other charcuterie.  He wanted to know if we wanted to help pick out the Omaha Steaks USDA Prime Beef Standing Prime Rib Roasts for roasting overnight.  Both Julia and I jumped at the chance, the rest of the crew elected to stay at the bar and run Soros' tab up some more.

The  roasts looked great, pretty much as good in terms of marbling, texture & flavor raw (we taste tested some thin slices to check) as Australian Wagyu, but coming in at about 1/4 the price.  The general selections we made looked like this:

Not every roast in the aging cooler looked like this one of course, and we got in a few arguments over which ones to pick, until we finally decided on just taking turns, each of us picking out 4 full 7 bone roasts.  Chef El-Kabong loaded the roasts in the Kepinsky refrigerated van, and Julia and I got back on my ZEV Road Bike for the trip back to the Hotel.

The next morning before Slicing they looked like the ones below.  We had 4 done Rare, 4 Medium-Rare, and 4 Medium.  No Well Done, I can't stand to see a fine Prime Rib Well Done.  it's a sin.  :emthdown::

Rare

Medium Rare

Medium

Would you choose Door #1, Door #2 or Door #3 for dinner?

Below are the Soup, Salad and Sandwich takeout Bento🍱 Boxes we distributed out in the afternoon for Lunch from 11AM-3PM.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Egyptian Molokhia Soup

Egyptian Tomato, Cucumber & Onion Salad

Prime Rib Sandwich
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐑 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/9/2018
« Reply #1240 on: December 09, 2018, 06:46:29 PM »
We got back from a long day distributing out the food, going about 12 hours straight with no breaks from5AM wake-up call to 5PM when we finally got back to Kepinskis for a shower.  Temps were in the Triple Digits in Cairo all day, global warming is a bitch for food distributors. lol.

After we showered off the sweat, we headed down to the pool to drink some Margueritas and soak and cool off.

We headed in for Dinner at the Romanov around 7, and once again it was a flawless meal.  Different Head Chef as well, they hire a lot of great cooking talent at Kepinski.

After Dinner we skipped the trip to the bar to go over our notes for the meeting with Soros in the morning and get a good night's sleep and not be hung over for a change. lol

Below my selections for dinner.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Egyptian Olive Tapenade

Egyptian Red Lentil Soup

Lebanese Rack of Lamb with Honey Carrots and Baby Potatos
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/10/2018
« Reply #1241 on: December 10, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
Soros gave me a ring about 3AM and let me know he was in the air and would be at Kepinski by 8AM for Breakfast.

Soros: RE, How you doing?

RE:  Pretty good George, how's by you?

Soros: I hate all dis flying, but eets OK.  Breakfast at State Restaurant een Kepinski at 8 OK vit you?

RE:  Sure George, no problem.

Soros:  Deed you bring any of dat vonderful Smoked Salmon you make vit you on dees trip?  I am bringing some Beluga Caviar and Black Truffles veet me for da Breakfast.  Your Chef Julia and my chef Emeril can feex de breakfast een da State Kitchen for us.

RE:  Of course I brought some Nova with me George.  Don't leave home without it!  No problem there.  I'll let Julia know when she wakes up she'll be cooking breakfast with Emeril.

Soros:  Very gut.  See you at 8!

RE: OK, Hasta la Pasta George.

Soros: See ya later, Alligator.

Below, the morning breakfast fixed up by Julia and Emeril for the big Meeting with Soros.

RE

Lox & Caviar Tater Tot Waffles

Eggs with Black Truffles
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:37:32 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/10/2018
« Reply #1242 on: December 10, 2018, 01:00:16 PM »
After breakfast and small talk we went out to sitby the pool and negotiate a deal with Soros.  There's a property on the Waterfront acrss the street from the Diner which is up for sale with several Outta Biz Shops.  I wanna buy the property and renovate it as a luxury hotel and get the municipality to let us close off the street for only pedestrian traffic and bikes and EV Scooters and Cripple Carts.  Also buy more of the waterfront adjacent to the Diner to make a full size Marina with a pier big enough to dock Soros' 150' Yacht at when he comes to visit.  We need Soros' Legal Team to negotiate with the municipality and the state to get all the permits, not to mention the fantastic amount of $MONEY$🤑  this project will cost.  We presented George with a full prospectus, with Amelia handling the numbers and the Biz Plan and I presented a full 3D Rendering of the way the warf, new Marina and Hotel will look like after renovation, as well as a new Fish Market.  GS didn't make any promises, and said he would send a team of lawyers, CPAs and Accountants to meet with us when we got back to Bar Harbor.  He did seem to be positive on the idea though, so I am hopeful.

Once the negotiations were done,  George called over the Concierge and whispered something to him, and then shortly after that a couple of Bellhops came out wheeling a luggage cart loaded with wrapped Christmas Presents!  :icon_sunny:  I got a new Shortwave Radio and Network in a Suitcase as well as a server to run a full global darkweb.

We ate lunch by the pool,and after lunch George suggested we go out to the airport, he had something to show us he couldn't bring to the hotel.  George rode with Natasha on the ZEV Road motorcycle.  He took a shine to her over breakfast, they were talking to each other in Russian the whole time so I'm not sure what about.  Natasha blushed a couple of times so I can guess.  LOL.

Below is our lunch by the pool.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Boulliabaise

Chicken Confit

Frangipane Tart

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/10/2018
« Reply #1243 on: December 10, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
When we got out to the airport, sitting next to Cassandra on the Tarmac was a brand new 2018 Embraer E190 Private Jet:

Apparently, Eike Batista ordered this jet prior to getting a new Orange Jumpsuit to wear in a Brazilian Prison, convicted on corruption charges and now broke.  Soros picked it up cheap at auction for $30M.

Soros:  You like zee new jet RE?

RE:  Oh yea, George, very sleek.

Soros:  Gut, because I need to take zee Big Bird (George calls Cassandra "Big Bird") because I am bringing a large entourage of Oil Sheiks over to China to negotiate some bizness.  They are keeping a low profile and don't want to fly their own jets to the meeting, vich ees secret.  Bonus though, thees ees now the SUN Jet, I vill lease it to SUN for $1/year.  I geev you also my fuel credit card to use to keep it filled.

RE:  Wow George, that's really generous!  Thanks!  I'll be sorry to say goodbye to Cassandra, but this sure is a sleek little beauty!

Soros:  You can steel borrow Big Bird eef you need her and I am not using her, no problem.

We spent the rest of the afternoon unloading our gear from Cassandra and moving it over to Cassandra II.  Fitting the Zevs in the hold was a bit of a challenge, we had to do some disassembly on the trikes to squeeze them in the hold, but we managed it.  Overall the E190 fits our needs better, we kind of rattled around in the 747.  It's way more efficient on fuel also, so we are much Greener now.  ;D

After the work was done,  we had a Last Supper aboard Cassandra I with George, Emeril  and his Pilot Chuck Yeager 3rd.  Julia and Emeril prepared the Last Supper.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Ratatouille Appetizer

Alaska Fish Stew

Hearts of Palm Salad

Filet Mignon Portobello Napoleon

Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus Hollandaise

Old Bay Crab Loaded Potato Skins

Soufflé au Grand Marnier Dessert
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 08:36:24 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥞 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/11/2018
« Reply #1244 on: December 11, 2018, 05:32:40 AM »
After finishing up dinner, we headed back to the Kepinski for one more night in Soros' Suite before we had to vacate as he was going to be welcoming some Oil Sheiks for lunch around noon.  We hit the spa for a while after all the work transfering our gear between planes, then off to the 3AM Club for nightcaps.

All we could talk about was our new Jet, making plans for how we would use it.  We had originally intended to fly back to Bar Harbor after the meeting with Soros, but Amelia pleaded for a trip down to Brazil to go to the Embraer factory and get some hands on training on the maintenance of this aircraft.  No proble flying it, quite a bit less to handle with this 2 engine jet than the 4 engine 747, but Amelia wants to know every wire and every hydrauli system on the plane before she is happy.  She's very thorough.  We weren't very hard to convince, so it's off to Brazil again next, with a stop in Morocco.  We'll be taking off in about an hour for Casablanca.

This morning's breakfast out by the pool, once again first class.

RE

Feshir Meshaltet (Egyptian Pancake)

Martabak Mesir (Egyptian Omelet)
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN