4 (36.4%)
Poached
2 (18.2%)
Soft Boiled
1 (9.1%)
Hard Boiled
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Menu  (Read 70636 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🥣 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/11/2018
« Reply #1245 on: December 11, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
We finally got off the tarmac around noon, after a one hour delay due to buckling on one of the runways from the heat.

It was fend for yourself for lunch today, and I made my lunch from our supply of Homemade Chile we made a big batch of before leaving Bar Harbor and haven't eaten that much of due to all the grea lunch meals we have been able to find at our stops along the global foodie circumnavigation.  We Vaccuum Froze the Chile in individual boilable bags, and they are as good today as when we originally cooked up the Chile a couple of weeks ago.

Heres how you do it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/leQbsIP0zh0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/leQbsIP0zh0</a>

Accompanying my Chile, I made a BLT Panini for a great lunch in 10 minutes cooking time.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

RE's Famous Chile

Californicator BLT Panini with Avocado
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 11:31:08 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/11/2018
« Reply #1246 on: December 11, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
We landed at Casablanca International Airport in Morocco around 6PM, just slightly delayed due to headwinds and having to circle the airport for about 10 minutes waiting for landing clearance.

After lunch, I passed the time with Nikki going over Bridge strategies, so next time we have a Tournament with Amelia and Natasha we don't lose so miserably.  Julia has no interst in learning to play Brigdge but she does make great Hors d'Oeuvres when we play!   :icon_sunny:

While airborne, I made a reservation at Rick's Cafe for an 8 PM dinner, where else would you go for dinner in Casablanca? ???  :icon_scratch:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vThuwa5RZU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7vThuwa5RZU</a>

We all got dressed to the 9s, I even dusted off one of my Brooks Brothers Monkey Suits to wear for dinner.  It was (of course) FABULOUS!

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Scallops on Pineapple Appetizer
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-oRoof_LUeU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-oRoof_LUeU</a>

Beetroot Salad with Blue Cheese
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xj3rDv5iEXo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Xj3rDv5iEXo</a>

Chicken in Green Curry & Coconut Sauce with Basmati Rice
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/l-yFnNGavCU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/l-yFnNGavCU</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍍 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/11/2018
« Reply #1247 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
Since we boozed it up pretty late at Rick's and sang "As time goes by" about a dozen times, we didn't haul ourselves out of bed too early for the 5 hour flight to Freetown in Sierra Leone.  I don't know how free it really is though. ???

Once we were in the air and at cruising altitude Julia whipped up a light Brunch of Breakfast Quesadillas, Fresh Fruit and Baguettes & Brie.  (IRL I lived on baguettes & brie on my inter-railing adventures in Eurotrashland in the late 70s &80s).  Nikki served the food, she has taken on the role of the Cassandra II head Stewardess. It's a perfect fit for her.  "Coffee, Tea or me?"  ;D Seafood is supposed to be pretty good in Freetown, so we'll look for a good place for dinner when we land.

I passed the rest of the flight time surfing Doom on the net and writing a food article for the Doomstead Diner blog.

RE

Today's Breakfast Special

Breakfast Quesadillas

Fresh Fruit Breakfast Platter

Garlic Baguette & Brie
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Doomstead Diner Menu
« Reply #1248 on: December 12, 2018, 09:00:10 AM »
Saw this and thought of you, for you and Soros.

Boeing just launched a new $400 million 777X private airliner, and it's a flying mansion that can go halfway around the world

Boeing's new BBJ 777X has a range of more than 13,000 miles and comes with luxury lounges, dining rooms, and master suites with showers.
https://www.businessinsider.com/boeing-bbj-777x-private-jet-2018-12
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: December 12, 2018, 09:23:54 AM »

Boeing just launched a new $400 million 777X private airliner, and it's a flying mansion that can go halfway around the world

Boeing's new BBJ 777X has a range of more than 13,000 miles and comes with luxury lounges, dining rooms, and master suites with showers.

I'll ask Soros if he'll buy one , but I doubt it. Cassandra I the 747 is still in very good shape, built originally in the 1990s but upgraded with new engines in the early 2000s and a complete rework of the interior when George bought it.  The Double decker hump and Upstairs Lounge make the 747 a signature aircraft with a cache the 777 just doesn't have.

Cassandra II the Embrear 190 which he gave to us on a $1 a year lease he picked up for the bargain price of $20M at an auction of Eike Batista's assets after he got his Orange Jumpsuit, pocket change for George.  It's a relatively small jet (compared to a 747 or 777), and I don't think he would drop $350M on a new 777 for us.  We don't need that really, usually only 5-10 of the Diners will be going on these Global Foodie Excursions.

Eike did order the jet with auxiliary fuel tanks which extend the range substantially.  The 190 normally only has a range of around 2400 NM, but because we don't carry the 70-80 passenger it is normally designed for, we can carry an extra 10,000 lbs of Jet Fuel.  This gets us enough range to make the longest non-stop crossings we need, like Alaska to Hawaii or Johannesburg to Tristan de Cunha, Edinburgh of the Seven Seas.  It also can land and take off on shorter runways than the 747 or 777, so we can put down at more local regional airports and not have to deal with the hustle and bustl and high costs of the large International Airports.

When we get down t Brazil, while Amelia is boning up on the systems and maintenance at the Embraer factory, I'm looking into getting a custom paint job done on Cassandra II, if I can convince George to pay for it.  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1250 on: December 12, 2018, 10:30:37 AM »

I'll ask Soros if he'll buy one , but I doubt it. Cassandra I the 747 is still in very good shape, built originally in the 1990s but upgraded with new engines in the early 2000s and a complete rework of the interior when George bought it.  The Double decker hump and Upstairs Lounge make the 747 a signature aircraft with a cache the 777 just doesn't have.

Cassandra II the Embrear 190 which he gave to us on a $1 a year lease he picked up for the bargain price of $20M at an auction of Eike Batista's assets after he got his Orange Jumpsuit, pocket change for George.  It's a relatively small jet (compared to a 747 or 777), and I don't think he would drop $350M on a new 777 for us.  We don't need that really, usually only 5-10 of the Diners will be going on these Global Foodie Excursions.

RE

Sure about that?
777-9 costs $425.8 million; the cost does not include a custom interior. Tack on another nine figure sum for that.

Thing would look good with a Diner logo on it, eh?

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: December 12, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »

RE

Sure about that?
777-9 costs $425.8 million; the cost does not include a custom interior. Tack on another nine figure sum for that.

Thing would look good with a Diner logo on it, eh?

George gets a discount from Boeing, or he will short their stock.  :icon_mrgreen:

I still don't think he'll go for it now though.  Wait for a Going Outta Biz sale from Boeing and pick one up for Peanuts.

It would look great with the Diner & SUN Logos on it though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐟 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/12/2018
« Reply #1252 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Well, went out looking or a decent seafood restaurant in Freetown, and guess what?  There isn't one!  In fact, there are no decent restaurants of ANY type!  We went to what is ostensibly the best hotel & restaurant in Freetown, the Swan, and frankly I find the menu at Outback or Red Lobster or Friday's more appealing!  Why are there no decent restaurants in Freetown?  Because what fucking self-respecting Chef would work there?  You wanna get Ebola?  You wanna Dodge Bullets on the way to work?

On the other hand, the open air markets were LOADED with great seafood, so we picked up some Giant Prawns, some Clams and some kind of West African Fish of a species I am not sure of to bring back to Cassandra II and cook dinner for ourselves.  Came CHEAP!  I didn't even have to charge the bill to Soros, it only cost $20 to buy enough to feed all of us and have Leftovers too!

Julia whipped up a great dinner with Shrimp Scampi, Linguine with White Clam Sauce (it's Pasta Wednesday also) and Pan Fried Fish (of some type).

We also met a fisherman at the bar on the way home who said he would show us a great secluded beach where there are HUGE spiny lobsters and big Oyster Beds for just a $20 Guide Fee.  We agreed, but only after I called Soros and got him to buy us some "protection" in the form of a squad of heavily armed security guards to accompany us to this beach.

The UN Logo is fake of course. lol.

We'll have a clambake out at the beach tomorrow with the Fisherman and the Bodyguards.  Should be fun.  :icon_sunny:

Here's tonight's meal, from Chef Julia Child 3rd.

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Shrimp on the Barbie

Linguine with White Clam Sauce

Pan Sauteed Fillet of an Indeterminant Fish Species
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:06:04 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/13/2018
« Reply #1253 on: December 13, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »
Light breakfast this morning, in anticipation of a really BIG meal later today at the Clambake.

We're packing up extra fixin's to add to the seafood and waiting for our bodyguards to show up before we take off for the beach.

RE

Bacon Deviled Eggs

German Potato Pancakes and Apple Sauce
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🦀 Doomstead Diner Clambake Special: 12/13/2018
« Reply #1254 on: December 13, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Big Clambake Day arrived!  :icon_sunny:

Mustafa our guide showed up around 10, adn informed me that it was a 1 mile hike from where we would have to abandon the vehicles to get to the secluded beach with the great Lobstering and Oyster Beds.  A 1 mile hike would take me all day just to get there, so we pulled my 4WD Off Road Cripple Cart out of the Cassandra II cargo hold and dropped it in the back of Mustafa's very rusty old Ford Pickup.

My Off Road Cripple Cart

Mustafa's Pickup

I rode with Mustafa, and the rest of the staff rode with the Bodyquards or on the ZEV Cargo Trike, which we loaded our coolers, charcoal and booze onto.

ZEV Cargo Trike

Shaka Zulu and his squad showed up around 11AM and Shaka positioned two of his men in the bed of Mustafa' pickup, mounting a .50 Cal Antiaircraft Machine gun on the roof of the cab and the other Merc positioned at the back with an Uzi and RPG launcher behind my Off Road Cripple Cart.  These guys are all Mercs up from Southern Africa where the old Zulu Empire was because all the best money is to be made in North Africa these days.  Shaka himself is an 8th Generation descendant of the original King of the Zulu Empire.  Or so he claims anyhow.  These guys are TOUGH.  Don't fuck with them.  If you want to employ them, you can now find them on the web at ZuluMercs.com.  Amelia set up a website for them.  :icon_sunny:

They had some GREAT equipment, including a couple of Ruskie Shoulder launched Anti-Tank missiles, so all in all we felt pretty safe.

Shaka's Anti-Tank Shoulder Launched Missiles

We traveled as a convoy to the Beach, with me and Mustafa and two of the Mercs on point, the ZEV in the middle and Shaka and the rest of his squad bringing up the rear.

The beach and the Lobstering and Oyster beds were everything Mustafa had claimed and more!  The lobsters were HUGE, and stupid too.  You just drop your net gently in behind them, wave your arm at them from the front and POOF they rocket backward into the net!  Julia, Natasha and Amelia donned the masks, flippers and snorkels and went out to harvest them.  There were so many we only kept the biggest ones, around 3 lbs and up.

Big Spiny West African Lobsters

We took about a dozen of these critters and called it quits.  No way would eat that much even including Shaka's squad, and we'd be taking home a lot of lobster meat home in the coolers for later use in some of Julia's recipes.  Only downside to these lobsters is no Big Claws like North Atlantic Lobsters, and I am a clawmeat afficionado.  Lobster Lovers fall into two categories, Tail Men and Claw Men, like men fall into being either Tit Men or Leg Men.  I am a Claw Man with Lobsters and a Leg Man with Homo Sap females.  ;D

While the rest of the crew was snorkeling for lobster, Nikki and I headed over to the Oyster bed with a couple of mercs to stand guard and we scooped up about 100 of the biggest Oysters and dropped them in a basket on the back of my 4WD Cripple Cart.

Oyster Bed

Once we got all the food collected we got the pit dugout for the bake and covered the coals with seaweed to steam everything nicely.  While the steaming was going on, we spent the time shucking the Oysters.  I used my Damascus Steel Oyster Shucking Knife for this job.  Cripple that I am, I was still faster than everyone else because they were using Tactical Knives and Cooking knives for this task.  Wrong knives for the job.  Of course, it didn't hurt either that I probably shucked 10,000 Oysters while working at Capsuto Freres.  ::)  Practice makes perfect!

RE's Damascus Steel Oyster Shucking Knife

Our Clambake  Feast follows below.

RE

Today's Clambake Special

Large Raw Oysters on the Half Shell

Steamed West African Spiny Lobster Tail

Roasted Corn on the Cob

Loaded Baked Potato
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🍳 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/14/2018
« Reply #1255 on: December 14, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
It seems morning Breakfast was swallowed up into the Great Maw of Cyberspace.  Now you will never hear about any of Shaka's firefights in Libya or how Mustafa raised himself up by his bootstraps Horatio Alger-Eddie style to become a successful Sierra Leone Fish Vendor-Capitalist.  C'est la Vie.

We're begining the process of working through the leftover Lobster meat and Oysters.  Unshucked & refrigerated, you can keep live Oyster about 2 days and they are still good.  So more Oyster appetizers for lunch today.  :icon_sunny:

We're due to land in Recife around 5PM in plenty of time for dinner.  Looking forward to more great Brazilian Cuisine the next few days while Amelia bones up on the mechanics and systems of the e190 jet.

Great Quiche from Julia, and I shucked all the Oysters.

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Raw Oysters on the Half Shell

Lobster & Asparagus Quiche
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: December 14, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
Eddie likes oysters. And they're well in season. R months aren't what they used to be, especially September and October,

Harvey wrecked the oyster beds in Texas, and it's gonna be a while. But Salt Traders is getting some good ones from somewhere, Louisiana I expect.

(To the tune from Shaft)

RE...he's a Bad Mothershucker.

Wachomouf!
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🥩 Doomstead Diner Dinner Special: 12/14/2018
« Reply #1257 on: December 14, 2018, 04:55:39 PM »
We made Recife International Airport a little after our scheduled 5PM arrival time due to headwinds.  While in transit, I made reservations for 7PM at the Ponteio Churascaria, definitely the best Churascarria in Recife and possibly in all of Brazil, which would make it the best Churascaria in the World.  Although there are some very good ones in Mew York, Florida and Texas, anywhere there is a large Brazilian community of ex-Pats.

Last time I was there was sometime in the 90s for Dad the Pigman's 75th Birthday with a big celebration with my half-brother and half-sisters and a bunch of my step-mothers relatives.  The place has grown and gone more upscale since then, and quite a bit more than the Ponteio I remember from the 1960s, which was basically a shack with outdoor tables.

I contemplated inviting Shaka and his squad of Zulu Warriors along as Protection for this trip since Brazil is in a lot of political turmoil these days, but I figured we would probably have trouble getting the Uzis, RPGs and Shoulder Fired Missiles through Customs. lol.  Also their Passports are pretty transparent fakes, poor counterfeiting job.  I emailed Soros to see if he can get them some better ones and also get the SUN Foundation licensed as an International Arms Dealer.  ;D  Another income stream for the Diner!  :icon_sunny:  For this trip though, I figured we were reasonably safe shuttling between the airport and the toruist district of Recife, both loaded with Brazilian Gestapo armed with automatic rifles.

Below are a few of the meat offerings the Churrascos brought to our table for the meal.  I was so stuffed with meat I couldn't even hit the buffet table for Feijon or Farofa!

RE

Today's Dinner Special

Filet with Cheese

Skirt Steak

Bacon Wrapped Filet Steak

Leg of Lamb

Milk Chicken

Pork Ribs
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🥩 Doomstead Diner Breakfast Special: 12/15/2018
« Reply #1258 on: December 15, 2018, 02:59:10 AM »
MOAR Oysters for Breakfast!  ::)

This is the last morning we can eat these Oysters raw without risking Death, so the remaining ones will need to get cooked up in some manner to keep a few more days.  I am discussing ideas with Julia on this over Breakfast.  The Lobster is not a problem, we have that all Vacuum Sealed and Frozen.

We're going to relax and enjoy the Beach in Recife today, looks it will be a beautiful Summer's Day (we're in the Southern Hemisphere now) with temps in the 90sF and Sunny Skies.  Surf looks to be up also, probably a Hurricane brewing somewhere out in the Atlantic.  We'll bring our body boards and flippers also.

Hope you enjoy the morning Breakfast Special.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Raw Oysters on the Half Shell

Lobster Eggs Benedict

Strawberry Cheesecake
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐔 Doomstead Diner Lunch Special: 12/15/2018
« Reply #1259 on: December 15, 2018, 10:54:38 AM »
  Great day out on the beach today oggling the girls in those skimpy Brazilian Bikinis.  Staff likes the oggling also, they are all Switch-Hitters.  ;D

A selection of Brazilian Steet food today for lunch.  Man, I miss this stuff!  :(

RE

Today's Lunch Special

Chicken Coxinha (Croquettes filled with shredded Chicken & Cheese

Minced Lamb Kibe

Salt Cod & Potato Bites
Save As Many As You Can