AuthorTopic: Have you ever killed another human being?  (Read 253 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Have you ever killed another human being?
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
Have you ever killed another human being?

Bill Perrino, Electrician (1976-present)

Updated Jun 21, 2017

I was going to answer this anonymously because of the off chance that a family member might read this. Then, I decided, I hope everyone who knew about this would read this and know the truth about what happened 41 years ago, almost to the day.

I had just graduated High School and was anticipating the joys which summer would bring. A girl, who I knew from 7th to the 12th grade, and I began dating after graduation. Joan and I attended an annual picnic put on by a major aerodynamic contractor. She drove her newly purchased convertible Fiat to the picnic which was located in the mountains north of Los Angeles.

We had a wonderful time that afternoon and we planned on camping the night then driving home in the morning. Before we went to our campground we stopped at a local market where we met a friendly gentleman, Paul, who, after we told him of our plans, invited us to spend the night with him at his place. We declined his offer. ďJust in case,Ē he told us where his place was and how to get there.

We went to our campground and went to sleep. We were awakened by a friend of mineís motherís yelling, bitching and carrying on in a drunken diatribe. This went on for 20 minutes or so before we decided to leave the campground and take the dude up on his offer to house us for the night.

Joan and I jumped into her Fiat and proceeded to get the hell out of there. As we were leaving, the intoxicated womanís son, John, stopped us and asked if he could accompany us - wherever we were going - he needed to get away from his mother. John jumped into the back of the Fiat, which, mind you, is a two seater, and away we went.

We found our destination easily. It was a couple of miles down a canyon road. We found Paul, who we learned was a caretaker for this property. Paul gave the three of us a tour of the property which happened to be a Wildlife Preserve. He showed us an elephant who was chained to a tree stump, then an area which was separated by a chain link fence and housed 86 lions. It was a fascinating place, the lions were beautiful. After showing us the lions, Paul said he needed to take a piss. I stated that I needed to also and we both turned away from the lions and started walking to the house. As an afterthought,Paul, looking over his shoulder, said, ďDo not try to pet the lions.Ē As soon as his words were spoken, Joan screamed the most terrifying scream I, to this day ever heard. I spun around to see Joan clutching her hand while she screamed. Her fingers were attached only by her skin. I immediately remove my shirt and wrapped it around her hand. ďWhere is the closest hospital?Ē I asked Paul as John and I brought Joan to the Fiat. John was seated on the trunk of the Fiat holding my shirt around Joanís hand as I flew through the canyon road not knowing where nor how far the hospital was. This was the first time driving this vehicle on a road I had never traveled.

As I maneuvered a curve traveling at a high speed, the rear tires hit some sand, and the Fiat was slammed into a guard rail. John was thrown down the side of the mountain. Stunned, I made sure Joan was alright, she seemed not to have any injuries other than her hand, then jumped down the side of the mountain in search of John. I was wearing only a pair of shorts, no shirt, no shoes. I found John halfway down the mountain. As I reached him I noticed several people approaching. They were from a campground at the bottom of the mountain, had heard the impact of the Fiat hitting the guard rail and came to see if they could be of assistance. One of them was a nurse and she began treating John. I ran back up the mountain and found Joan being attended to by the paramedics, which was a needed relief. Immediately I ran, more like slid, down the mountain where the nurse was giving John CPR. He was alive. I sat down placing his head in my lap, he was looking up at me. Seconds later, he was dead. I ran back up the mountain to see that Joan and the paramedics were gone. I ran back down, looked at John, then it hit me, he was dead. Devastated, I walked down to the campground in a daze. I sat on a picnic table and wept for I donít know how long.

A married couple who were camping there asked me if I needed a ride home.This was hours after John died. These kind people drove me home where I passed out in my bed. The next morning the CHP were at the door and I was subsequently arrested for DUI, Hit and Run. I was taken to Menís Central Jail in Downtown LA, where, I was told I would remain for my safety, in case Johnís parents wanted to get revenge. Johnís dad, a wonderful human being, demanded my release. Johnís family helped me through the aftermath. If it wasnít for their kindness I donít know what I would have done.

A couple of months later I am sitting in Juvenile Court (I was 17 at the time of the accident) listening to the Judge read the charges against me: Vehicular Manslaughter, Leaving the Scene of an Accident and Driving While Intoxicated. From the audience I hear a voice asking the judge permission to speak. When I locate the person who spoke, I recognize who it is: the man who gave me a ride home, his wife alongside of him. He proceeds to tell the judge that I did not leave the scene, I was there hours after the accident and that I was not intoxicated.

All of the charges were dropped thanks to a kind stranger. How he knew when my court date was and where, Iíll never know. If by chance either of you kind people are reading this, thank you again.

Wow! The number of people who have read my answer is amazing. Thank you for all of your comments.

Once I started writing about what happened, memories flashed through my mind so fast, I could not write fast enough. As soon as I finished I submitted it. Now, after reading what I wrote, I realize I should have proof read it before submitting it and I left out some critical information:

Joan tried to pet one of the lions and was bitten by a lion. She was taken to Henry Mayo Hospital in Valencia where her fingers were re-attached to her hand. The Doctors did an excellent job.

659.5k Views ∑ 28,432 Upvotes

https://www.quora.com/profile/Bill-Perrino
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.