AuthorTopic: Official Solar PV & Electrics Thread  (Read 417 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Official Solar PV & Electrics Thread
« on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:21 AM »
Nice website. Looks like a good company to work for. (Small, LOL.) Solar here is kind of a mixed bag. The city has their "approved list" of installers. DIY is not possible for a grid-tie if you are on the local public utility grid. But....they do encourage grid-tie if you do it their way.

Out in the hinterlands it's all up to the utility. Both my lake cottage and the stead are on co-ops (sounds good but they are notoriously mismanaged). Last time I checked, the co-op I deal with on the stead still required buying insurance to protect them against the possibility of your system feeding power into the grid when they take it down for maintenance.

For those reasons I lean toward stand alone off-grid parallel set-ups, for the most part. I think it's good to be able to work on your own system.

I just got a new roof on our house. Time to get some panels there. Hopefully soon. I guess I'll have that done professionally and do a grid-tie on it, when I find the money. Seems like the best investment, especially since we'll have to sell the house and downsize in the not-too-distant future. Nobody but me would want off-grid on a house in the burbs.
I'll stop crashing LD's thread but grid connected microinverters can link up to battery backup and storage. The backup can come with you when you downsize. Magnum has a nice product for that they call it ac coupled systems. Outback calls theirs grid zero bur it's more of a solution where the utility won't let you sell back. It can come with you as well and operate as an off grid system. All of those systems came about because of utility pushback. They also make an offgrid direct system that just does air conditioning. In your climate it might be the most cost effective way to beat the utility and stay legal.You can always message me about solar.
Cheers,  David
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:48:59 AM by RE »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Official Solar PV & Electrics Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »
Nice website. Looks like a good company to work for. (Small, LOL.) Solar here is kind of a mixed bag. The city has their "approved list" of installers. DIY is not possible for a grid-tie if you are on the local public utility grid. But....they do encourage grid-tie if you do it their way.

Out in the hinterlands it's all up to the utility. Both my lake cottage and the stead are on co-ops (sounds good but they are notoriously mismanaged). Last time I checked, the co-op I deal with on the stead still required buying insurance to protect them against the possibility of your system feeding power into the grid when they take it down for maintenance.

For those reasons I lean toward stand alone off-grid parallel set-ups, for the most part. I think it's good to be able to work on your own system.

I just got a new roof on our house. Time to get some panels there. Hopefully soon. I guess I'll have that done professionally and do a grid-tie on it, when I find the money. Seems like the best investment, especially since we'll have to sell the house and downsize in the not-too-distant future. Nobody but me would want off-grid on a house in the burbs.
I'll stop crashing LD's thread but grid connected microinverters can link up to battery backup and storage. The backup can come with you when you downsize. Magnum has a nice product for that they call it ac coupled systems. Outback calls theirs grid zero bur it's more of a solution where the utility won't let you sell back. It can come with you as well and operate as an off grid system. All of those systems came about because of utility pushback. They also make an offgrid direct system that just does air conditioning. In your climate it might be the most cost effective way to beat the utility and stay legal.You can always message me about solar.
Cheers,  David

DB, I am going to split this thread off and place it on the SUN board under the Title "Official Solar PV and Electrics Thread".

RE
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 08:49:22 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:00:14 AM »
Thanks RE.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
Thanks RE.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin on the job.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN