AuthorTopic: Horse cart  (Read 790 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Horse cart
« on: January 01, 2018, 05:24:40 PM »
This shows how to make a cart using wood (steel for wheel rims and axles). Super heavy duty version. 15 minutes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZ3IsIuU8oE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FZ3IsIuU8oE</a>
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Horse cart
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
I happen to have, through a pure accident, a horse drawn hay rake, a horse drawn mowing machine for mowing hay, and a horse drawn corn planter. Except that they would have used mules where I live.

They've sat in the rain for maybe 75-100 years, and I'm pretty sure I could make them all work in a day or two. No mule though.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
I happen to have, through a pure accident, a horse drawn hay rake, a horse drawn mowing machine for mowing hay, and a horse drawn corn planter. Except that they would have used mules where I live.

They've sat in the rain for maybe 75-100 years, and I'm pretty sure I could make them all work in a day or two. No mule though.

Maybe you could get the Mangalitsas to pull the cart.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
I could trade for a mule, I'm pretty sure. But because horses are valued more right now, horses are more plentiful and availability would be greater. We don't have a lot of draft horses left, but some breeds, like paints, are big gentle horses and could be put to work.

I remember when I was a kid my Dad bought a horse drawn plow and used it to plow our garden. He did it because he was nostalgic for his youth, when that was the normal way to do things. It was the normal way in my own family until 1939, which is when my grandfather bought his first tractor. Not that long ago in the long term scope of things.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 05:53:50 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
I could trade for a mule, I'm pretty sure. But because horses are valued more right now, horses are more plentiful and availability would be greater. We don't have a lot of draft horses left, but some breeds, like paints, are big gentle horses and could be put to work.

I remember when I was a kid my Dad bought a horse drawn plow and used it to plow our garden. He did it because he was nostalgic for his youth, when that was the normal way to do things. It was the normal way in my own family until 1939, which is when my grandfather bought his first tractor. Not that long ago in the long term scope of things.

Add horses to the menagerie?

Either you move to the Toothstead or you hire a full time manager for the farm.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:05:01 PM »
After he sold the dairy farm my grandfather kept a ferguson tractor and a horse drawn mower and hay rake. Both were pulled by the tractor. When I was 9ish he would sneak me away to mow the hill between his place and ours. He needed a second body to push on the foot lever and pull the hand lever to lift the blade when something got in the way. You have not seen dangerous machinery until you sit on that iron seat and hear the slickety slickety sound of those triangular teeth go back and forth. Such a simple mechanism but so durable. Those are good memories.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.