AuthorTopic: Oh, the glories of country living!  (Read 977 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Oh, the glories of country living!
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »

The Monastery - From left to right. Animal cottage and chicken pen, Old house, pump house, tavern building/our house.

Today, about 10am our water stopped running. Our pump house that I built is 15ft square and 4ft high. It is well insulated and we put a light bulb inside when the temp drops below 20 degrees, and put a space heater in when it drops below 10 degrees, just to make sure the pipes inside don't freeze. It is located down our pasture, across a frozen creek, and down the old driveway about 200 yards from the converted tavern to house we live in. Misa walked over to check the pressure gauge, came back and said we have 0 pressure, and the space heater was still on. We figured that the pressure regulator device had gone bad. She drove 20 miles to town and got a new pressure regulator and some fuses, while I gathered the tools necessary to take the bad one off and replace it with the new one. I took a short nap and when I awoke she was back. It is 16 degrees here with a wind chill of 9 degrees.  We trekked over to the pump house and began the operation.
  When I unscrewed the pressure regulator, the last of the pressured water came spraying out. It got everywhere. Then we attached a small hose to the spicket inside to drain the rest. If the pressure drops to far we have to pump up the tank with air with a small electrical air pump, so I was working fast. I couldn't get the the regulator off the pipe it was attached to. While trying to do so I broke the pressure gauge and she had to go back into town to get a new one while I went back across to try to get the regulator off the pipe. In doing so I smashed my shin with a hammer as deflected off the vice grips I had attached to the pipe while holding the regulator stable on the floor. I still couldn't get it off. I decided to go put it in the table mounted vice in the garage, which is connected to the tavern building, and use a small piece of rebar to turn it, it came off. Now I had to go back over to the pump house to get the new regulator to place it on the pipe. Put teflon tape on each end of the pipe and screwed the new one in place. She returned with the gauge at about the same time. We walked over to put the two new gadgets on, plus two new fuses. On the wet floor I began to work, but my glasses were fogging up so bad I had to take them off, and it is hard for me to see anything in detail without them. So basically working by feel, I attached the new gauge, put the wiring back on, which Misa diagrammed on her cell phone, and put on the gauge. Put one fuse in, and the other refused to cooperate for 10 minutes, but finally did.
    I flipped the electricity back on and WAH LA, it worked, and not only worked but she happened to get a higher pressure regulator and our water is blasting out the faucets. I haven't taken a shower in two years because the pressure is so low . I hand wash my whole body about once a month. I think now the shower will work great. Yahoo!
  If we had called a pro to fix it probably would have cost about $300, we did it for $40, plus we would have had to wait for a day or two to get them here. As many of you know I am taking Prednisone, and I drink about 12 glasses of water each day.
  When I woke this morning I had the strangest song running through my mind. It was frantic and made little since to what I normally create, but I did my best to create the obscure song, and called it "Forced". Go figure!
  I chose this life style in a monastery because I desired to know what life and our universe/s "are" the best I could. With a vow of poverty, and bailing wire and duct tape, we have kept this place going for 34 years. I wouldn't have it any other way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:00:18 PM by knarf »
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the glories of country living!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
What a great DIY tale. Thank you for sharing it made my evening.
Cheers,  David
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:35 PM »

The Monastery - From left to right. Animal cottage and chicken pen, Old house, pump house, tavern building/our house.

While trying to do so I broke the pressure guage and she had to go back into town to get a new one while I went back across to try to get the regulator off the pipe. In doing so I smashed my shin with a hammer as deflected off the vice grips I had attached to the pipe while holding the regualator stable on the floor. //
  I chose this life style in a monastery because I desired to know what life and our universe/s "are" the best I could. With a vow of poverty, and bailing wire and duct tape, we have kept this place going for 34 years. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Great story. How's that shin?

Hopefully, nothing a hot shower won't fix!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »
Ding Ding Ding!  Blog Article!  :icon_sunny:  A little short, but a great story.

I'm working on an article about my heat issues, still not completely fixed.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »
Plumbing fixes are not too bad in warm weather, but they really especially suck in cold weather.

Well pump fixes are tricky anytime.

Because....if you get it wrong you get NO water anywhere until you get it right. Reminds me of my well woes back in the summer with the bad start capacitors. Now I know much more than I did before about well pumps, and so far my fix has worked too. I only wrapped up my well and turned on a light 2 weeks ago.

Glad you have water and wishing you many hot showers ahead.

Lovely scene with the snow. I hope you are keeping warm inside most of the time.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »

While trying to do so I broke the pressure guage and she had to go back into town to get a new one while I went back across to try to get the regulator off the pipe. In doing so I smashed my shin with a hammer as deflected off the vice grips I had attached to the pipe while holding the regualator stable on the floor. //

Hurts a little. I seem to hurt myself EVERY time I do hard work, so I am used to it. :)
HUMANS ARE STILL EVOLVING! Our communities blog is at https://openmind693.wordpress.com

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
Now UP as Feature Article on the Diner Blog under the title Water Woes.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 12:08:18 PM »

Hurts a little. I seem to hurt myself EVERY time I do hard work, so I am used to it. :)

I think that just comes with the territory.  If you are using your hands, and tools, you are going to hurt yourself eventually.  I'm dealing with heavy chains, binders, straps, and steal bars on a regular basis now.  I hurt myself all of the time.  There is always something to fix on the road. 

Right now my windshield wiper fluid is not working.  I'm pretty sure it's froze solid.  Last night I was in Cambridge Ohio, it rained all day, then dropped down to the teens, turned to ice, then ice fell from the sky, then about 8 inches of snow fell.  The wiper blades were surrounded by ice, and I think that's why the wiper fluid froze.  I've been in -7 Fahrenheit in Wisconsin and the fluid didn't freeze, but surround it with ice, and it freezes.  Problem is the salt on the road.  If you can't wipe the salt away with the fluid then you can't see in about 15 minutes.  I managed to deadhead 170 miles to pick up my load, now I'm sitting at a truck stop in Dayton Ohio getting a 34 hour reset.  Hopefully the problem resolves itself before I pull out around 0100 hrs Monday to go to Pennsylvania, back into the Icepocalypse I just left. 

The roads were solid white today on I-70, couldn't even see the lines on the road, just ice and snow.  Cars spun out all over the place, semi's jackknifed everywhere.  One of them was on it's side in the ditch with it's load spread out all over the place.  The other day I passed a car that was completely on fire...the entire car.  It's nuts out here. 

But for the next 30 hours I'm chillin' at a Loves! 

Happy to hear you got your water back working Knarf!  Buddhism is close to my heart.  I'm practicing a type of Trucker Zen these days.  I just try to be present and aware of the passing scenery, as I sit, and drive, and drive, and drive.  Making money. 

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 01:39:54 PM »

I think that just comes with the territory.  If you are using your hands, and tools, you are going to hurt yourself eventually.  I'm dealing with heavy chains, binders, straps, and steal bars on a regular basis now.  I hurt myself all of the time.

If you find yourself swinging a hammer, don't be surprise to hit a nail. In my case, a thumbnail.

From what I understand (my bro-in-law is a trucker), driving a flatbed is hard work.

Good to hear from you, LD!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
The joys of trucking.  ::)

Get a 12V Heat Gun.  They're great for unfreezing stuff.

They have cordless ones now too.  They weren't available in my day.

If you run a 2000W Inverter, you can get an AC one.  They're cheaper.

Also, a 1500W Ceramic Electric heater is good to drop in the engine compartment if you have AC power available.  Have a 100' extension cord available.

On the cheap but tricky side, a propane torch works great.  Be CAREFUL though!!  :o

Be careful about not melting plastic and rubber stuff, especially hoses.  Also, obviously, stay clear of the fuel lines. lol.

RE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:05:01 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:46 PM »
Do not use torch on windshield. Don't ask how I know this.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
That Milwaukee heat gun looks bad ass!  I'll have to look into getting one of those.  I pulled the tubing off of the wiper blades today and they were crunchy inside, froze solid.  I got lucky today the roads were clear so no problem with road salt blindness.  I left just before midnight and go to the consignee at about 1030.  Got unloaded, the fucking straps were frozen solid...it was a bitch getting them rolled back up, along with the lumber tarps.  I delivered a load of lumber to Ashley furniture...guess they'll turn it into couches and chairs that are way to expensive.  It was really shitty quality wood to. 

Anyways, I have a growing list of tools that I want to add to my on board repertoire.  I meant to put my propane torch on the truck last time I was home and forgot.  I know they are good for unsticking frozen brakes.  I also want to add my 10 and 5 pound sledge hammers and my pry bar.  I had to beat a piece of dunnage with my winch bar before I hooked up to the load.  It was a relay.  I fucking hate relays because they are always tarped and so it's hard to see what you've got and how well it's secured.  Untarpping is way too much work.  I much prefer getting live loads so that I can secure it and know that it's done properly.  Usually there is at least one thing fucked up with the load when it's a relay.  I had two in a row that were over gross weight.  I was 81300 on the last load of ply wood.  That's 1300 over gross for those who don't know, and it's a big ass fine if the DOT catches you at a weigh station. 

The last one had a strap over one of the clearance lights and that piece of dunnage that was sticking out past the rub rail of the trailer with a few pallets of lumber on top, several thousand pounds.  I had to beat the shit out of it with the winch bar, that's why I want my sledge now.  It's worth the weight I think.  The piece of dunnage was all fucked up by the time I was done with it, but at least it wasn't sticking out past the rub rail. 

Yeah, Surly, flatbed is a lot of hard work.  We don't get paid for securing our loads, so that's been tough to deal with.  We do get paid more per mile then the non-flatbedders to make up for it though, so I guess I'm making more money on account of it, and I do get paid for tarping and untarping.  I get sick when I look at how much shit comes out of my checks before I get anything.  If you are a working man in this country then the 1% stick their dick in your mouth while the bottom % fuck you in the ass.  It was much better when I had free medical, free food, and got paid at the end of tax season. 

There's no way to win in Merika if you are blue collar.  You just get fucked in all of your orifices by everyone who's not blue collar.  At least I'm mostly left alone with this job.  Utterly alone.  I've actually gotten lonely...which I have very seldom ever felt in my life.  But if we are going to get our own place to live...guess I just gotta learn to like getting fucked in the ass by society. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:06:28 PM by luciddreams »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 04:26:48 PM »
That Milwaukee heat gun looks bad ass!  I'll have to look into getting one of those.  I pulled the tubing off of the wiper blades today and they were crunchy inside, froze solid.

I looked into this some more, the 12V heat gun I had doesn't seem to be available anymore.  The one I pictured is actually A/C.  You clipped it straight to the truck batt and out popped the heat!

Not sure how well the Milwaulkee rechargeable would work in this application, I don't know how long the batt will run continuosly to provide heat to the elements and juice for the blower.  It's very energy intensive usage.  Usually heat guns are just used in short bursts for stuff like shrink tubing on wiring.  It's also pretty expensive, $240 for the full kit with the charger & batt.  If you have other Milwaukee tools though and charger and batts, just the tool is $70.

There are heat gun attachments for Propane tanks which would certainly work, but they also are expensive.  Cheapest one I could find was this one from Solder-it, $113.  Some of the models are $600-800.  ACCCKKKK!  :o

The best solution is probably to install a 2000-3000W Inverter and get an A/C Heat gun to plug into it.  2000W probably enough, but 3000W to be safe and not overload the inverter.  A/C heat guns come cheap in many models. $20-$50.  Also, long as you are at a shipper, receiver or truckstop, you have access to grid power.  You find the nearest outlet and run a 100' extension cord to it.

I've actually gotten lonely...which I have very seldom ever felt in my life.  But if we are going to get our own place to live...guess I just gotta learn to like getting fucked in the ass by society.

You have to readjust your mindset as a trucker.  Before trucking I was a very gregarious person, but once in the truck I had only myself to be with.  Some people can do this, others can't.  This is one of the main things that takes truckers out of the profession.  It wasn't for me, what finally got to me was all the fucking bullshit from the idiots I had to deal with at either end of my loads.  But I tolerated it for close to 7 years, which is pretty good.   Also at the time freight went into the toilet and I was sitting on my ass in truckstops more than I was driving.  Gotta be moving to make money.

RE
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 05:12:28 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN