AuthorTopic: The Sea Gypsy Tribe  (Read 13068 times)

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Sea Gypsy Tribe
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
Ray, I remember there was an article that Dmitri Orlov put up at Club Orlov...was that you? 

A couple of things have come to mind since reading this thread.  First off, the SGT is a very romantic idea that calls to me all over the map.  I'm a nomad by nature, I love the ocean.  My wife calls me "Aqua Man" because of my affinity for water (and because my 3 year old son Zen saw a picture of Aqua Man, having never seen him before, declared that he was daddy :D )  Anyways, my point is that I love water, and have always loved it.  I find it irresistible actually, and spend a good bit of time digging holes and setting up crazy ass gravity fed cistern systems to ensure I always have access to it.  Been working on hand digging a pond lately. 

Whenever I go home to SoCal I always end up at the beach, in the water, body surfing until my family can't stand it any longer and send somebody out to retrieve me from the surf.  I can literally stay out in the surf all day long without growing tired of it.  I joined the navy and became a sailor (if that's what you want to call it).  I didn't sail shit...just worked in a power plant scrubbing valve stems with a wire brush, sweating my ass off, standing watch taking logs and trying not to scram the reactor  ;D...which I came pretty damn close to doing once. 

Anyways, more to the point.  I love your SGT idea.  I think it's awesome and sure to succeed.  I wish I could be a part of something like that.  It's true that it's probably the cheapest option for anybody to survive the zero point, but it's still too expensive for me now.  Unless I could take a dingy and sail off like "The Mariner" did at the end of Waterworld (one of my favorite movies).  As I've said it would require I move (itself too expensive right now), learn how to sail, buy a boat, figure out how to keep my family fed in the interim.  It would require somebody whom already had a big ass boat, knew how to sail, and wanted a family of four on their boat!!!  Don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening.  My uncle has a sail boat, not sure how big it is, but I doubt he'd have room for my family on board. 

However, pending GM (GypsyMama...my wife and Diner member) could be convinced to move to SoCal where my uncle is, to learn how to sail and somehow acquire the funds for a boat...we're stuck with the land based model because we are on land already, and are stuck here.  The other big problem for us is that we just found out that GM is allergic to all sea food (cept scallops for some reason) and fresh water fish as well...she can't eat fish any longer.  She's also allergic to chicken, milk, eggs, garilc, and cucumber (we just found all of this out due to a particularly ugly form of eczema called "dishydrosis eczema".  I have 13 chickens and we eat raw garlic daily...well I do now...her not so much.  Anyways, that means that if we want my wife's hands to work she has to avoid those allergens.  If we lived on a boat we'd pretty much have to eat sea food don't you think?  Could you do it without access to sea food? 

Maybe you should find a way to make it more available for people of my generation...whom never amassed any wealth, and are stuck as slaves to this terrible system of control we live in.  My plan, to become a Murse, is motivated by my desire to gain access to money so that I can better our current situation...which isn't that bad.  1.6 acres with a growing trailer park next door (they just plopped a new trailer in a couple of days ago and there's room for more).  All this means I've had to learn and master the skill I've dubbed "zombie whispering." 

Do you know any sailors who do it with a family?  I mean, do you know any husband and wife teams with two kids?
Hi LD,

Greetings to Gypsy Mama.  Are you aware of Dr. Richard Schulze? www.herbdoc.com.  He often answers mail from folks with tough medical issues for the sake of his general readership.  Try to get a free second opinion from him.  If free doesn't happen, at least price an online consult with him.  I have known people who were very misguided by allergy diagnoses in the past. 

As for your larger situation, sounds like your set-up is above average.  Don't embrace the SGT template.  There are too many factors in your lives mediating against it.  As I described elsewhere in the thread, it will probably end up being "enlightened commando" units that require mobility and toughness.

Buena suerte,

Ray   

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
Ray, I remember there was an article that Dmitri Orlov put up at Club Orlov...was that you? 

A couple of things have come to mind since reading this thread.  First off, the SGT is a very romantic idea that calls to me all over the map.  I'm a nomad by nature, I love the ocean.  My wife calls me "Aqua Man" because of my affinity for water (and because my 3 year old son Zen saw a picture of Aqua Man, having never seen him before, declared that he was daddy :D )  Anyways, my point is that I love water, and have always loved it.  I find it irresistible actually, and spend a good bit of time digging holes and setting up crazy ass gravity fed cistern systems to ensure I always have access to it.  Been working on hand digging a pond lately. 

Whenever I go home to SoCal I always end up at the beach, in the water, body surfing until my family can't stand it any longer and send somebody out to retrieve me from the surf.  I can literally stay out in the surf all day long without growing tired of it.  I joined the navy and became a sailor (if that's what you want to call it).  I didn't sail shit...just worked in a power plant scrubbing valve stems with a wire brush, sweating my ass off, standing watch taking logs and trying not to scram the reactor  ;D...which I came pretty damn close to doing once. 

Anyways, more to the point.  I love your SGT idea.  I think it's awesome and sure to succeed.  I wish I could be a part of something like that.  It's true that it's probably the cheapest option for anybody to survive the zero point, but it's still too expensive for me now.  Unless I could take a dingy and sail off like "The Mariner" did at the end of Waterworld (one of my favorite movies).  As I've said it would require I move (itself too expensive right now), learn how to sail, buy a boat, figure out how to keep my family fed in the interim.  It would require somebody whom already had a big ass boat, knew how to sail, and wanted a family of four on their boat!!!  Don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening.  My uncle has a sail boat, not sure how big it is, but I doubt he'd have room for my family on board. 

However, pending GM (GypsyMama...my wife and Diner member) could be convinced to move to SoCal where my uncle is, to learn how to sail and somehow acquire the funds for a boat...we're stuck with the land based model because we are on land already, and are stuck here.  The other big problem for us is that we just found out that GM is allergic to all sea food (cept scallops for some reason) and fresh water fish as well...she can't eat fish any longer.  She's also allergic to chicken, milk, eggs, garilc, and cucumber (we just found all of this out due to a particularly ugly form of eczema called "dishydrosis eczema".  I have 13 chickens and we eat raw garlic daily...well I do now...her not so much.  Anyways, that means that if we want my wife's hands to work she has to avoid those allergens.  If we lived on a boat we'd pretty much have to eat sea food don't you think?  Could you do it without access to sea food? 

Maybe you should find a way to make it more available for people of my generation...whom never amassed any wealth, and are stuck as slaves to this terrible system of control we live in.  My plan, to become a Murse, is motivated by my desire to gain access to money so that I can better our current situation...which isn't that bad.  1.6 acres with a growing trailer park next door (they just plopped a new trailer in a couple of days ago and there's room for more).  All this means I've had to learn and master the skill I've dubbed "zombie whispering." 

Do you know any sailors who do it with a family?  I mean, do you know any husband and wife teams with two kids?
Hi LD,

Forgot to answer your first and last questions.  Yes, that was me at Club Orlov.  Dmitry and I have a lot of parallel thinking in this regard.  Am also helping him online prepare his new boat.  She is a real beauty and perfect for his little family...wife and one year old.  His Pearson 385 was also quite affordable.

There are mostly retired couples in the cruising fleet mixed in with some single-handers like myself and some families.  Anchored 100 yards from me right now is Morgan Out Island 41 with mom, dad and SIX kids onboard.  But again, I encourage you to stay there and maximize what you have.  For every 30 boats there is probably only one who would make good sea gypsy tribe members.

Ray

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »
be prepared to steal a boat.

I'm prepared for that, and I also know people I might crew for...but I have ten people living in my house, and only my wife and I are experienced sailors...so I have responsibilities on land that outweigh my need for personal survival.
Hi Eddie,

Your priorities sound right to me.  Teddy Roosevelt stated it pretty well long ago:

"Do the best you can -
with what you have -
where you are!"

And don't forget the festive rum drinks, I would surely add.

Ray

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
Note to self: Buy more rum for the pantry. And a stock of those little umbrellas.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 03:01:21 PM »
Note to self: Buy more rum for the pantry. And a stock of those little umbrellas.

Another thing tough to do on a 30' boat but easy for the land lubber doomer:  Run a Still.  :icon_mrgreen:

Not impossible mind you, stills can be made pretty small.

Good question for SG:

What is the longest you ever spent anchored in a remote cove without returning to Civilization for reprovisioning?

I'll bet is wasn't because your ran out of food either.  Outta da Captain.  ;)  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »
There are mostly retired couples in the cruising fleet mixed in with some single-handers like myself and some families.  Anchored 100 yards from me right now is Morgan Out Island 41 with mom, dad and SIX kids onboard.  But again, I encourage you to stay there and maximize what you have.  For every 30 boats there is probably only one who would make good sea gypsy tribe members.

Ray

I'd make a good sea gypsy.  But my wife just said "I obviously ain't meant for the sea" due to the fact that whenever her hands get wet she has to let them air dry and then apply lotion to control the eczema.  Water is like her kryptonite which is pretty ironic if you consider my Aqua Man like characteristics  :D  I'm definitely interested in a second opinion, but at this point we are willing to do anything to stop the eczema.  We're removing all of those allergens, and once the eczema clears, we'll start adding them back one at a time to see if there is an effect.  I take allopathic medicine with a grain of salt...especially when it comes to a disease we know next to nothing about.  It's my opinion that all of the chemicals that make their way into our bodies from our toxic environments are to blame.  Eczema is on the rise according to my wife's dermatologists who also stated it's the number one cause for people coming to the office to be seen. 

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
I'm gettin' a still. It's on the list. Best of all, the practice can write it off. I use lots of distilled water and alcohol.But they are a popular item. Hillbilly Stills, a major supplier, has a waiting list.

I got my eye on this little number.

http://www.hillbillystills.com/Turn_Key_Vodka_and_Moonshine_Still_p/hbtkv.htm

One of my daughters is now brewing some excellent beer...and I'm taking notes on that, too.  ;D
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sea Gypsy gets a Diner Avatar
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
I bestowed on SG the Captain Morgan Avatar.  :icon_mrgreen:

SG, you can change the Avatar to anything you want, including pics of Aventura if you like.    You set the Avatar in your Profile area of your account.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:15 PM »
Hi Eddie,

Always amazes me that you never see those mini-umbrellas on prepper stockpile lists.  Talk about not having one's priorities straight...

Ray

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:36 PM »

Another thing tough to do on a 30' boat but easy for the land lubber doomer:  Run a Still.  :icon_mrgreen:

Not impossible mind you, stills can be made pretty small.

Good question for SG:

What is the longest you ever spent anchored in a remote cove without returning to Civilization for reprovisioning?

I'll bet is wasn't because your ran out of food either.  Outta da Captain.  ;)  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Hi RE,

Actually about 6 weeks anchored out without resupplying.  My version of The Captain is the superb and inexpensive Nicaraguan rum, Flor de Cana.  He that runs out of the Flower of the Cane, gets whatever he deserves!

There was a book back in the early 70s called SAILING THE FARM and it had diagrams and design specs for a still for converting salt to fresh water.  So, yes you can do that on a boat.  But water-catching is so much easier and like I say, I have never even come close to running out and I have never had a watermaker. 

The author was a guy named Ken Neumeyer.  If anybody knows where he might be, it would be fun to get in touch with him.  He was the early inspiration for my sea-going survival platform.  Back then his concerns (except for the nuclear problem - reactors and/or ICBMs) seemed exaggerated.  Not anymore!

The Captain Morgan avatar is fine with me.

Ray

Offline Sea Gypsy

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

Ray

I'd make a good sea gypsy.  But my wife just said "I obviously ain't meant for the sea" due to the fact that whenever her hands get wet she has to let them air dry and then apply lotion to control the eczema.  Water is like her kryptonite which is pretty ironic if you consider my Aqua Man like characteristics  :D  I'm definitely interested in a second opinion, but at this point we are willing to do anything to stop the eczema.  We're removing all of those allergens, and once the eczema clears, we'll start adding them back one at a time to see if there is an effect.  I take allopathic medicine with a grain of salt...especially when it comes to a disease we know next to nothing about.  It's my opinion that all of the chemicals that make their way into our bodies from our toxic environments are to blame.  Eczema is on the rise according to my wife's dermatologists who also stated it's the number one cause for people coming to the office to be seen.

Definitely focus on your wife's medical issues and on maximizing your Doomstead would be my advice.  My SGT idea will probably go nowhere, but I feel good about sharing it with people in the slim hopes that it might make a difference.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
We're removing all of those allergens, and once the eczema clears, we'll start adding them back one at a time to see if there is an effect.
You might want to try the pulse test to figure out what she is allergic to.  (I figured it was off-topic enough it deserved a new thread, especially if anyone wants to come back to it, they'll never find it here lol.)
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »

The Captain Morgan avatar is fine with me.

I updated it to a Cap'n Morgan Headshot.  Headshots make better Avatars.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
After we got off the Test of the Vidcasts today, Monsta and I did a Podcast with SG over his Cell Phone since he is still having issues with getting Skype Running.  Podcast came out great anyhow, discussing the pros and cons of the Sea Gypsy Lifestyle for about an hour and a half raw recording time.  We'll air it after the Blair Longley and second Nicole Podcasts go up.  SG is also going to see about getting hooked up with Google Hangouts to join us for the Sunday Vidcast, and possibly making some of his own videos aboard AVENTURA.

I am pulling SG into 21st Century End of the Age of Oil Technology Kicking & Screaming.  LOL

RE
Save As Many As You Can