AuthorTopic: Seastead of the Day  (Read 38605 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day --- Hurricane Bargains
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
Here's a great, heavy, old, China Clipper that needs some love. But it's a blue water boat that probably only needs cosmetics and maybe the rig rebuilt, maybe chainplates. Engine? Who knows, but it's only a 36 footer. I could sail this boat anywhere with no engine at all. It'd be a pain at times, but I could do it. Sails can be had used. This boat is worth saving, unless the decks are rotted to shit.

Asking price $ 12K. You could probably get it for less.

http://sailingtexas.com/201801/stayana42101.html

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: ⛵ Boat Bugouts Commentary on Global Economic Intersection
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2018, 10:40:01 AM »
Initially in collapse people may be well behaved.  They won't really go bat-shit until hunger sets in.  Useless travel in an early calm time gets you to a good place already prepared, travel would not be a good idea and would waste time.  There will be no point in being mobile when there is no place to go.

But there IS a place to go!  The uninhabited island you have scoped out beforehand and prepped up.

RE

How many people have the resources to prep an Island?  It would be a logistical nightmare.  It would be your own personal mission to Mars.  Who owns the island?  If it is not you then you are going to have a problem.  That Island you showed looked like a couple of families could farm the land in an imagined self-sufficiency which would not be possible in actuality.  Once on the island shortages in supplies will be noticed and some essentials will need to be acquired.  If three families tries to farm that island we are going to have a tragedy of the commons.

Stuck on an island and you need supplies with no way to get them.  Seeds for crops?  Nobody to trade with on an Island.  People live by their connections.  An island stuck in the sea off New England will have a shorter and cooler growing season than a mainland setup.  Nobody ever lived there for a reason.  It will be as hard for you to leave and return to the island as it is for anyone else.  The island fantasy has to be the best fantasy of all but it requires high seven figure incomes to set up.    Caves carved into hard rock to hold endless pallets of supplies would be nice but it all has to be ready to go when SHTF with a seamless bugout that assumes nobody else has had their eye on the same island like the workers who set up your fortress.  Islands need to be defended and the biggest gun wins.

RE can differ but RE is in Alaska where he might be able to squat somewhere on an island with an easy boat ride away from the mainland.  In Alaska the islands would also not be colder than anywhere else it seems to me.  In the lower 48 it will be a different story.  1000 people might want one island.  RE can smuggle in a few supplies by himself because he can come and go.  That could be difficult elsewhere.

But if one could pull it off an island with radar guided 50 caliber machine guns which would automatically defend your inner garden plot from invading boaters would be really cool while you figure out how to grow a carrot.  By yourself.  No you-tube.  Supermodels optional.

You haven't been following the thread well.  The proposed island is not in Alaska, it is in Maine (lower 48).  You don't buy it, you squat it after TSHTF Day.  You have caches buried on the island with seeds, tools, hardware etc ready to dig up when you get there.  Go back and read my initial posts on the Plan.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day --- Hurricane Bargains
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2018, 10:53:52 AM »
Here's a great, heavy, old, China Clipper that needs some love. But it's a blue water boat that probably only needs cosmetics and maybe the rig rebuilt, maybe chainplates. Engine? Who knows, but it's only a 36 footer. I could sail this boat anywhere with no engine at all. It'd be a pain at times, but I could do it. Sails can be had used. This boat is worth saving, unless the decks are rotted to shit.

Asking price $ 12K. You could probably get it for less.

http://sailingtexas.com/201801/stayana42101.html

It's LOA is 42', not 36'.

You could sail it anywhere with no engine?  How about to Ocean Falls?

The decks are a MESS.  It's gotta have leaks all over the place.

Even at that Low, Low Chump Change Price Everyday, I'm not tempted on this one.  Try again.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
Actually those are repairs that haven't yet been painted. Not a big deal if the repairs are really repairs and not just scabs on rot.

It's hard to know how bad the decks are without a survey, but I'm sure they aren't perfect. It looks like they lost the toe-rail in the storm. A common cosmetic problem when boats rub against the pier.

It's less that 28 ft on the waterline. I could sail it to hell and back, but it'd be hard to sail upwind in a narrow channel. Not a boat that points well. But with practice, I could probably sail that boat in and out of a slip, if the wind was adequate (but not blowing hard), and I had lots of room to maneuver.

The biggest threat of not having a kicker is that's there's no way to save yourself if you allow yourself to get blown on to a lee shore. You have to know what you're doing, and be familiar with the boat and what it will and won't do. You get that with practice.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:49 AM »
Actually those are repairs that haven't yet been painted. Not a big deal if the repairs are really repairs and not just scabs on rot.

It's hard to know how bad the decks are without a survey, but I'm sure they aren't perfect. It looks like they lost the toe-rail in the storm. A common cosmetic problem when boats rub against the pier.

It's less that 28 ft on the waterline. I could sail it to hell and back, but it'd be hard to sail upwind in a narrow channel. Not a boat that points well. But with practice, I could probably sail that boat in and out of a slip, if the wind was adequate (but not blowing hard), and I had lots of room to maneuver.

The biggest threat of not having a kicker is that's there's no way to save yourself if you allow yourself to get blown on to a lee shore. You have to know what you're doing, and be familiar with the boat and what it will and won't do. You get that with practice.

You yourself said you're not up for a boat that would take a lot of work to get ship-shape, and this one clearly would.  I am not up for a boat that doesn't have a kick ass auxialiary engine.  This one meets no criteria other than the price, which is of course dirt cheap.  If you went and looked at it and came back and said we could have it fixed up professionally for say $10K,maybe then we could consider it.  But we still would need to install an engine on it, and that would be expensive too.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2018, 12:06:07 PM »
The engine might be okay. I don't know. Not much info in the ad. I just posted it to show a good boat that would likely sail from here to wherever, for a price that's dirt cheap. It's not a boat I'd probably want to buy. I might steal it in a pinch though. Or one like it. If I truly needed to bug out. Low probability event.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 09, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
The engine might be okay. I don't know. Not much info in the ad. I just posted it to show a good boat that would likely sail from here to wherever, for a price that's dirt cheap. It's not a boat I'd probably want to buy. I might steal it in a pinch though. Or one like it. If I truly needed to bug out. Low probability event.

The problem with STEALING a boat for a bugout is that it's not properly equipped in all likelihood.  It only serves as a transportation vehicle, not a survival vehicle.  You need water desal, solar PV, food storage, yada yada all the stuff I delineated in the article.  You also can't go and pre-prepare your bugout location if you rely on stealing at the last minute.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2018, 12:21:10 PM »
Not an ideal scenario, but preferable to certain death.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rZVjKlBCvhg&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rZVjKlBCvhg&fs=1</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
Not an ideal scenario, but preferable to certain death.

Your death is still certain without the right preps aboard.  Unless of course you are Cody Lundin or Mr. Primitive Technology.  Which neither of us are.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2018, 12:31:24 PM »
Pirates make do with treasure. (And I have plenty of preps. I just have to get them aboard and get the hell outa Dodge before I get caught.)

Dude, you're, like, bummin' me out with all your negative waves.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT9Lm4Y886k&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aT9Lm4Y886k&fs=1</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Pirates make do with treasure. (And I have plenty of preps. I just have to get them aboard and get the hell outa Dodge before I get caught.)

Dude, you're, like, bummin' me out with all your negative waves.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aT9Lm4Y886k&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aT9Lm4Y886k&fs=1</a>

Even if you could load all your batts and solar panels aboard the stolen boat without getting caught (how many hours/days do you think that would take to get done? ???), you STILL haven't got a bugout location prepped up.  You gotta do all this in ADVANCE to make it work.  I will pound you to death with Negative Waves on this one. :P

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I have considered a few bug-out locations from Rockport and CC. Think I'm just gonna share that info with everybody on the planet?

Unlike you, I've actually sailed to at least one of these potential locations.  If I told you, I have to kill you, now wouldn't I? It'd be like if Palloy told us where he's holed up.

Suffice it to say there is a semi-remote location within a one or two day sail of any of the marinas I mentioned the other day, where I could hide in plain sight. And...it is not an island. And it requires almost no sailing expertise to get there. I've actually mentioned it here before, but it's been a long, long time, and nobody remembers. Maybe you could re-read all my posts and figure it out.

You can't carry a lot on a sailboat. You'd have to cut the preps to the bone. I could get by for some time with fishing gear, vitamin C, and bait.

But, I'm no thief. I would have to be in dire circumstances to rip somebody off like that. Goes against my toilet training. That's why I window shop for boats every day. Sooner or later I might find exactly the right boat and even find a cheap slip. Intention is some powerful shit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2018, 01:13:16 PM »
I have considered a few bug-out locations from Rockport and CC. Think I'm just gonna share that info with everybody on the planet?

Unlike you, I've actually sailed to at least one of these potential locations.  If I told you, I have to kill you, now wouldn't I? It'd be like if Palloy told us where he's holed up.

Suffice it to say there is a semi-remote location within a one or two day sail of any of the marinas I mentioned the other day, where I could hide in plain sight. And...it is not an island. And it requires almost no sailing expertise to get there. I've actually mentioned it here before, but it's been a long, long time, and nobody remembers. Maybe you could re-read all my posts and figure it out.

You can't carry a lot on a sailboat. You'd have to cut the preps to the bone. I could get by for some time with fishing gear, vitamin C, and bait.

But, I'm no thief. I would have to be in dire circumstances to rip somebody off like that. Goes against my toilet training. That's why I window shop for boats every day. Sooner or later I might find exactly the right boat and even find a cheap slip. Intention is some powerful shit.

Under THE PLAN, prepping a location up is not done in one trip, because you can only carry so much with you on each trip.  So you need to own the boat for a while and be able to make several trips to your designated bugout location and bury your caches of preps.

It doesn't have to be an island, as I said the Fjords of BC are quite isolated, and I am sure there are isolated places along the TX coastline also, though probably not with as much geographical obstacles as fjords provide.

Would you have to kill me if you revealed this to me?  Of course not!  We're PARTNERS!  I will go to my grave before I reveal the SECRET, just as I would with Azozeo's Gold.  No torture could get it out of me, I am already used to constant pain.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »

Under THE PLAN, prepping a location up is not done in one trip, because you can only carry so much with you on each trip.  So you need to own the boat for a while and be able to make several trips to your designated bugout location and bury your caches of preps.

It doesn't have to be an island, as I said the Fjords of BC are quite isolated, and I am sure there are isolated places along the TX coastline also, though probably not with as much geographical obstacles as fjords provide.

Would you have to kill me if you revealed this to me?  Of course not!  We're PARTNERS!  I will go to my grave before I reveal the SECRET, just as I would with Azozeo's Gold.  No torture could get it out of me, I am already used to constant pain.

RE

If you TRUST me, PM me the chosen Bugout Location within a day sail of Rockport.  I want to map it out.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
Of course I trust you. Like I said, I already posted this publicly. I'm only holding out now to pull your chain. :)