AuthorTopic: Seastead of the Day  (Read 32358 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day - Titanic II due to set sail in 2022
« Reply #420 on: November 03, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »

The Titanic is under construction again - at least a replica of the famous ship - 105 years after the original passenger liner sank on its maiden voyage from Southampton in England to New York City, reported TVNZ.

Titanic II is scheduled to set sail in 2022 and will retrace the original shipís route, USA Today reports.
The project was first announced in 2012, but was put on hold after a financial dispute.

Now that the issue has been resolved, Blue Star Line has announced construction has re-started.

https://newsonia.com/reader/report/titanic-ii-due-to-set-sail-in-2022/

So...some people think that there might be more rather than fewer icebergs to dodge now.

I'm way too superstitious to book a crossing on a ship named after the world's most famous shipwreck, one that is bound and determined to try to sail the very same route, at a time when both ice and weather are more random than they were in 1912.

God has a great sense of humor.

Maybe this time a giant methane bubble will come up from below the ship and pop.....the Titanic II will fall thousands of feet to the bottom,  while the passengers are being asphyxiated by the methane. Then the ship will break up and explode when the wreck ignites the gas.

No thank you. I'd rather kayak across.

What a glass pipe experience. HO-LEE sheet, no wonder C5 calls this place his watering hole HAHA  :icon_mrgreen:

I'll lay $20 at the sports book at Caesars on DiCaprio gracing all the minions with his presence on the maiden voyage.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:41:56 PM by azozeo »
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day
« Reply #421 on: November 27, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
This is a nice old boat. And dirt cheap. What I'd call very slight damage. You could sail around the world in this boat...and it does 18 knots downwind.

In case you don't know that's REAL fast in a sailboat.

$7K.

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/33ft-trimaran-sail-boat/6753025016.html
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
This is a nice old boat. And dirt cheap. What I'd call very slight damage. You could sail around the world in this boat...and it does 18 knots downwind.

In case you don't know that's REAL fast in a sailboat.

$7K.

Cash in some crypto and buy it!  lol.

Actually, it's kind of boxy and ugly, and I don't like Cats for Blue Water sailing in general.  I always worry about them turning turtle in big seas.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 27, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »
These Piver tris are some of the safest offshore boats in the world. They can turtle, but they won't sink like a monohull.

It's not a lovely William Garden ketch, but I ain't ever done 18 knots in a sailboat. Just sayin.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 27, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
These Piver tris are some of the safest offshore boats in the world. They can turtle, but they won't sink like a monohull.

It's not a lovely William Garden ketch, but I ain't ever done 18 knots in a sailboat. Just sayin.

You never sailed a Hobie Cat?

They rent out cheap for the day.  At Club Med in Moorea, you could take one out for free as long as you were staying there.  They must rent them in the BVI.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 28, 2018, 06:29:04 AM »
Catamaran rentals are way overpriced in the islands. Chartering a big boat is a much better deal, although I still never have done it down there. Beach time is enough, with our usual tight schedule. I keep saying I'm going to do a week. Maybe next year. And, no, I've never sailed a Hobie Cat.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 28, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
Catamaran rentals are way overpriced in the islands. Chartering a big boat is a much better deal, although I still never have done it down there. Beach time is enough, with our usual tight schedule. I keep saying I'm going to do a week. Maybe next year. And, no, I've never sailed a Hobie Cat.

Maybe you should try a Club Med.  Besides the Hobies and Sailboards, the Water Skiing came free and Para Sailing also.  That was in the 80s though, don't know the situation these days.

It's huge fun to hike out on a Hobie.  They're not too hard to right if you flip them either.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 01, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
I said no more project boats, ever,  but this one is very tempting...especially if you could beat them down another 5-10K. This is the deep keel Nauticat that actually sails pretty well, and the boat looks well worth saving. There are Nauticats sailing that are way older than this one. Good opportunity to choose your preferred power plant. The old dead engine has been removed, at least. I wonder how good the decks are.

Asking price is 25K which is wildly optimistic, but they alway start out high. they'll come down. On the hard in Ingleside,, looks like. (Near Rockport)

https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/1986-nauticat-33-sail-boat/6758994935.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:55:07 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 01, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
Get the Toothstead sold to a Chinese Oligarch and you'll have plenty of time for a new project and plenty of money to gamble on Crypto!  You could also pay somebody to do the restoration.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 01, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
It's tempting. I probably will test the market to see if anybody bites on the stead....cuz it's gonna be a very pretty spring in 2019 here. Who knows when we'll have this kind of water again?

Looks like she lost her main mast in the hurricane, that's the mizzen still standing.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Colvin Ketches to House the Homeless
« Reply #430 on: December 23, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
The best thing about wasting money on the crypto tulip lottery...it allows me to daydream about buying boats on the West Coast, because.....if money were no object, I could afford to take 3 months to bring my new boat home.

Got me to thinking on this homeless problem.

There are enough yachts sitting in slips.....going bad....to house ALL the homeless in first rate marinas.

I suggest giving rich guys a great tax break for donating their neglected, never used yachts to the homeless...and nationalizing all the marinas and making slips free for all Americans. All Americans should have the right to float.

This is a spotless, well kept boat that looks like a real reef-buster. Tom Colvin designed little ships, not yachts.This is a steal. It'd cost three times as much as the $39K they're asking, just for the materials to build this fine little craft.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:35:25 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Colvin Ketches to House the Homeless
« Reply #431 on: December 23, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »

That's a nice one.  :icon_sunny: When you hit it big on the crypto you can buy one for me and we'll hire a delivery captain for it to sail it down to Corpus.  You can come join the cruise when you have time.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 30, 2018, 06:00:55 AM »
At $29,900, this might be the best value I've seen lately. This boat has lots of upgrades....winches, sails, rigging,.It has everything but AC, and the price is bargain basement. Bristol 40's are great boats, if not the fastest. Very seaworthy. Lying near Houston.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/seabrook-1982-bristol-40/6781471960.html

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:05 PM »
Where do they come from? I don't know. Many boats end up in Texas, and in Florida. End of the line. A never ending succession.

But the story is different on this one.

This one was apparently built here by someone...... a good sailor no doubt, for whom it must have been an avocation. That person, is most likely dead or dying. Nobody would sell this boat.

I think I'm in love. What a fine vessel. Asking 41K. Lying in Sabine Pass, near the Louisiana border.

Now, if your'e from New England, this boat might not look that strange....but in Texas, its like finding the Lost Ark. It's a John Alden Schooner.

http://sailingtexas.com/201801/salden42101.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:35:32 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 13, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
Where do they come from? I don't know. Many boats end up in Texas, and in Florida. End of the line. A never ending succession.

But the story is different on this one.

This one was apparently built here by someone...... a good sailor no doubt, for whom it must have been an avocation. That person, is most likely dead or dying. Nobody would sell this boat.

Only the dead and dying back on my little boat...

Buy it and stop talking about it already.  I bet you can Jew him down to $35K.

RE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:31:12 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can