AuthorTopic: Seastead of the Day  (Read 23288 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »
Lake sailing well is harder than ocean sailing (storms excepted), because the wind is constantly changing.

Not really true on a lake the size of Superior.  That one is a small ocean unto itself.  Main difference is it doesn't have the fetch of the Atlantic or Pacific, so the waves it generates are not as big.  Otherwse though, fairly similar I think.  I have never sailed on Superior, so I am not talking from experience, just what I think is the case.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 14, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
I didn't mean the GREAT lakes. I would not suggest starting there, unless it's great summer weather.

I haven't sailed there, but I've watched boats sailing on Lake Michigan, and it's close enough to being an ocean for me. Ocean rules, basically. And known for storms. Tricky place for beginners, in my view.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 14, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »
I didn't mean the GREAT lakes. I would not suggest starting there, unless it's great summer weather.

I haven't sailed there, but I've watched boats sailing on Lake Michigan, and it's close enough to being an ocean for me. Ocean rules, basically. And known for storms. Tricky place for beginners, in my view.

Close to shore, I don't think too bad a place to learn.  But then again, remember the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.  And that was a diesel powered boat too!  :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9vST6hVRj2A" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9vST6hVRj2A</a>

A smaller lake with a trailerable 25' boat probably a better learning experience though.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 14, 2018, 12:15:01 PM »
Rogue wave phenomenon sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Heavy cargo, and the hull collapsed because two giant waves happened close enough together that one of them lifted the bow and the other lifted the stern, and the middle was temporarily unsupported by water and not strong enough to stay rigid with hundreds of tons of ore weighting it down. That's what they finally decided.

The storms of November....

Great fucking song.

I first heard it in high school, and even when it was new, it sounded like a very old and traditional song. We had tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot here a couple of years back, and a freak ice storm shut down the town, basically. I probably won't ever see him now. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 14, 2018, 12:23:59 PM »
Rogue wave phenomenon sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Heavy cargo, and the hull collapsed because two giant waves happened close enough together that one of them lifted the bow and the other lifted the stern, and the middle was temporarily unsupported by water and not strong enough to stay rigid with hundreds of tons of ore weighting it down. That's what they finally decided.

The storms of November....

Great fucking song.

I first heard it in high school, and even when it was new, it sounded like a very old and traditional song. We had tickets to see Gordon Lightfoot here a couple of years back, and a freak ice storm shut down the town, basically. I probably won't ever see him now. LOL.

According to AG and reasonably true based on climatic changes, Rogue Waves are becoming more common.  A few commercial freighters are lost every year to this.  If you head out into the Deep Blue these days, be prepped for some pretty big ass waves.  My Fantasy Sailboat design is for a boat you can sink to 100' below sea level to ride out a storm.  Aluminum Hard Chine Folding Trimaran.

I never saw Gordon Lightfoot in concert, but that song has always enchanted me.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 14, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »

At 25K this is a lot of boat for the money. It doesn't look spectacular, but I like it. These Fortuna boats were built in South Africa, and the "Bruce Roberts" design is possibly pirated. Roberts' company claims Fortuna used plans bought from some sketchy naval architects in Oz, who stole the designs from them.

The boat has crossed the pond at least once, if it originated in Cape Town.  I like self-steering as opposed to autopilot. No batteries required.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Bruce-Roberts-Fortuna-3061006/Kemah/TX/United-States?refSource=standard%20listing#.WtJb4dPwbVo

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 14, 2018, 01:23:11 PM »

At 25K this is a lot of boat for the money. It doesn't look spectacular, but I like it. These Fortuna boats were built in South Africa, and the "Bruce Roberts" design is possibly pirated. Roberts' company claims Fortuna used plans bought from some sketchy naval architects in Oz, who stole the designs from them.

The boat has crossed the pond at least once, if it originated in Cape Town.  I like self-steering as opposed to autopilot. No batteries required.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Bruce-Roberts-Fortuna-3061006/Kemah/TX/United-States?refSource=standard%20listing#.WtJb4dPwbVo

Not my favorite design, but looks OK and that is a good price.  No good interior pics though.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 14, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
This boat has been for sale for years. I talked to the seller about it at least 3 years ago. They have finally dropped the price an additional 10K, just this month. It is a nice boat, but has a wooden mast that needs repair. I got a quote of less than $1500 to fix it, back when I was first looking at it.

It has a small  pilot house, but these 37' canoe stern boats are not roomy below. Not a motorsailer, but Tayanas are one of the world's most popular cruising boats. Lot of them out there.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 14, 2018, 01:42:24 PM »
This boat has been for sale for years. I talked to the seller about it at least 3 years ago. They have finally dropped the price an additional 10K, just this month. It is a nice boat, but has a wooden mast that needs repair. I got a quote of less than $1500 to fix it, back when I was first looking at it.

It has a small  pilot house, but these 37' canoe stern boats are not roomy below. Not a motorsailer, but Tayanas are one of the world's most popular cruising boats. Lot of them out there.

Another one fitting the "OK" category, but depends on absolute price and the configuration and condition of the cabin interior for a liveaboard.

RE
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:44:02 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
Here's another "minimalist boat" and nicely done from what I see. Pearson built good boats, and it's been converted to junk rig. Guys who go this route are minimalist fanatics. I'm persuaded that junk rig boats have many advantages, but I've never sailed one. Boats like this demonstrate that you can buy a worthy live-aboard without spending big bucks. The guy is only asking $7150, with the requirement that you have to be a junk rig fanatic too, to buy it.

No problem, only a junk rig fanatic would want it.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/d/pearson-367-western-junk-rig/6554689027.html

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 15, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »
Here's another "minimalist boat" and nicely done from what I see. Pearson built good boats, and it's been converted to junk rig. Guys who go this route are minimalist fanatics. I'm persuaded that junk rig boats have many advantages, but I've never sailed one. Boats like this demonstrate that you can buy a worthy live-aboard without spending big bucks. The guy is only asking $7150, with the requirement that you have to be a junk rig fanatic too, to buy it.

No problem, only a junk rig fanatic would want it.

At that price, it probably has leaks.

Back in my youth when I had my subscriptions to Sail Magazine and Cruising World, a Pearson 38 Center Cockpit was one of my most salivated over boats.  That and a Cheoy Lee Canoe Stern.  At the time I really liked Center Cockpits for the spacious rear stateroom, I'm no longer a fan of that design though.

Far as the Junk Rig goes, how many people have circumnavigated with this sail plan?  I also obviously am not a fan of an"engineless" boat.  Then there are just about no worthwhile pictures of the interior.

As a permanently parked cheap living space, maybe if it's not too leaky.  Otherwise no deal on this one.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 15, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
I found the owner's real web page, with some additional info. Looks like a hell of a deal to me.. No leaks Just no diesel kicker. They even list everything they think it needs. To bad it's in Florida. If it were here, I'd probably buy it.

http://www.raggedyedge.net/j367

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 15, 2018, 02:59:24 PM »
I found the owner's real web page, with some additional info. Looks like a hell of a deal to me.. No leaks Just no diesel kicker. They even list everything they think it needs. To bad it's in Florida. If it were here, I'd probably buy it.

http://www.raggedyedge.net/j367

Wouldn't cost that much to ship.  An O-O with a Lowboy and an oversize permit would do it for $3000 I bet.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛵ Seastead of the Day
« Reply #328 on: April 16, 2018, 12:05:47 AM »
Here's a nice Starter 25' MacGregor Trailerable model for DB, coming in at the bargain price of $4500 including the trailer. He can pull it himself from Georgia to Ontario with a decent size 3/4 Ton 8 cylinder pickup.  Great Road Trip for the kids!  :icon_sunny: He can park it on his property, no slip fees.  With some experience, you could sail this one on Superior.  I would still avoid that though when the Gales of November come early.  Remember the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald:o  Stick to nice breezy days in the Hoser summer.  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM</a>

If I can get SaVANnah down to the Lower 48 and the Great White North, I think she could pull this boat.  That would be a pretty ideal combination.  :icon_sunny:  I will need to upgrade the suspension for this, but the engine is up to the task. Only 140K Miles on it and smooth as silk when running. 8C Turbocharged Super V-8, that sucker can pull a lot of weight, even over the mountains of the Yukon Territory. Ford Chassis from this era is a killer.  This is a lot of vehicle and towing power for the price I got her at.  Will need to upgrade the brakes and have good trailer brakes also.  There is probably nothing scarier in driving when you are going downhill on a long grade and your brakes start SMOKING. Your knuckles get SERIOUSLY white, trust me on this.  It can go for over an hour, because you need to keep the speed so slow and you have to pull over and let the brakes cool also periodically.  You hit long grades like this in the Rockies and in the Appalachians. Nevertheless, if I can get some of the health back, I may go down this route. 🤞  If that is the way I am destined to Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond, it would not be a bad way to to leave this Meat Package once and for all time.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/54584

1983 25' MacGregor⛵

1983 MacGregor 25' Sailboat.
Turnkey ready to sail today!

Totally redone on the interior, navy blue canvas cushion covers, canvas curtains, VHF radio, Kenmore radio with USB port and Pandora. Sails are in good shape, comes with a total of 3 sails; One main, one jib, and one genoa sail, pop-top cover, sleeps 3. The deck is color speckled intentionally.

Comes with a 140 watt solar panel, 180 amp hours of batteries, 8hp Suzuki engine.
Family has outgrown. Trailer has been worked on and is sturdy.
$4500 or reasonable offer.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 16, 2018, 07:26:43 AM »
My issue with the McGregor and similar trailerable boats is that they are, by necessity of design, inherently less stable than a similar size boat with a fixed keel, and therefore more subject to being knocked down in a sudden wind gust.

As someone who has had this happen, in less than great conditions, with little kids of  my own on board, I have to mention it as a concern.

They also don't come with an engine, and would require an outboard motor of some kind. If you were an expert sailor you could certainly get by without an engine, but they make life easier,and increase safety for beginners.

Chartering a fixed keel boat with a roller furling jib and a diesel auxiliary makes for an easy intro, with no long term investment.