AuthorTopic: Seastead of the Day  (Read 40659 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Seastead of the Day
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2019, 09:16:36 AM »
Nice one-off steel boat, built in Switzerland and floated to the ocean on the Rhone canal system, Three Atlantic crossings later, it's on the block for 40K asking down in Panama. I doubt it's quite as nice as the pics, but it's probably still a nice boat. World cruiser.

Price now dropped to 32K USD. Wow. If it weren't so far away, I'd have a look.

Engine looks like a Swiss watch.

Nice galley.

Teak decks, Look good in the photos, but can be a problem on older boats. Nice on bare feet though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:32:04 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »

Price now dropped to 32K USD. Wow. If it weren't so far away, I'd have a look.

The sail from Panama isn't that much further than sailing from FL to TX.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
It's said to be a tough sail, from what I've read about it. But not THAT far...and from what I see, you could probably motor sail that bad boy.

Looks like a decent engine. But you'd have to fly down there and back to look at it. There are tax implications of buying a boat outside the US. Not sure how that works.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »
It's said to be a tough sail, from what I've read about it. But not THAT far...and from what I see, you could probably motor sail that bad boy.

Looks like a decent engine. But you'd have to fly down there and back to look at it. There are tax implications of buying a boat outside the US. Not sure how that works.

Austin-Panama City $500.  You make that much in an hour in crypto, or 2 hours drilling teeth.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2019, 05:06:54 PM »
I also meet a 30K/month payroll. I don't have money to burn....at least not yet. Let the crypto pay off and then the boat will manifest.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »
I also meet a 30K/month payroll. I don't have money to burn....at least not yet. Let the crypto pay off and then the boat will manifest.

Oh Good Grief.  Even AFTER Payroll, Overhead and Taxes, you're taking home $250K/year.  $500 for a R/T to Panama is Chump Change.  It's Chump Change for ME, and my income is an order of magnitude less than yours.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 26, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxZoSNanRt4&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OxZoSNanRt4&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »

Abandoned Ship Has Been Roaming the Arctic Waters for 38 Years!

26 August 2019
The SS Baychimo, a 1,322-ton, 230-foot long cargo ship launched in 1914 was was built at the Lindholmens shipyard in Gothenburg, Sweden. It was originally called the Ångermanelfven. It was used for trade between Hamburg and Sweden until 1914.
In 1921, the cargo ship was one of the many ships transferred to Great Britain as part of Germany’s reparations for shipping losses during WWI. It was renamed “Baychimo” and was mainly used for trading back and forth along the coast of Canada. In 1924 the ship circumnavigated the globe and continued carrying supplies until 1931 when the crew found itself trapped in an early season icepack at the end of a trade run.
The men hiked for about half a mile over the ice to Barrow, Alaska and waited there a few days for the ice to break up so they could continue on to the next post.
A week later the ship was trapped again. Most of the crew was airlifted to safety. A few remained behind to keep watch over the ship. Baychimo was only a half-mile offshore so they stayed in a hastily constructed shack fully expecting to remain there for the duration of winter. On Nov. 24, the temperature rose dramatically, from minus 60 to zero and a blizzard raged for three days. No man dared venture out of his shack.
When the storm abated, the ship was nowhere to be seen. Only a pressure ridge of ice remained where she had been. The men presumed her to have sunk.
A few days later, an Inuit seal hunter saw the ship floating about 45 miles away. When the ship’s captain, Sydney Cornwell, found her, he decided that although still intact, the ship was no longer seaworthy. So he unnloaded the cargo and other valuables and left the ship.
The Baychimo, however, proved to be more than seaworthy. A few months later she was found 250 miles to the east.
A year later, Leslie Melvin, who was traveling with his dog sled team near Nome, reported seeing the Baychimo floating near shore as if waiting for her crew to re-board. Some more months later prospectors also reported a sighting of the crewless cargo ship.
In 1932 a trading party attempted to board the ship near Wainwright, Alaska and a year later an assemblage of Eskimos boarded and was trapped for ten days due to an unexpected storm.
A few months later, the Hudson Bay Company received report that the ship was still afloat but decided the ship was too far out to sea for salvage operations.
The nest year, another group of explorers attempted to board the ship again but returned to their schooner. A year later, another sighting was reported off the northwest coast of Alaska.
In 1935 Captain Hugh Polson attempted to salvage the Baychimo but was unable to do so due to ice. Several other sightings were reported over the years including one in 1962.
In 1969 she was seen for the last time stuck in an ice pack off the Alaskan coast in the Chukchi Sea.
Ten years ago, the Alaskan government launched a project to find the Baychimo searching both above and below the sea but at this writing, the “Ghost Ship of the Arctic” is still eluding capture.

http://www.webnewsys.com/2019/08/abandoned-ship-has-been-roaming-arctic.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind