AuthorTopic: Slow Web Page? Surprise! in [Market-Ticker] Karl Denninger  (Read 438 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Slow Web Page? Surprise! in [Market-Ticker] Karl Denninger
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »

You're not going to like this.

I've spent some time recently on a "new" bit of "fun" that a few of my various scanning tools have flagged as potentially nasty coming from various sites around the Internet, including some very well known sites.

There is an ugly little bit of game-playing going on and it doesn't appear to be one site or two either; it's spreading, and it's neither an accident nor is there any evidence that the sites in question have been hacked -- that is, this looks intentional on the part of the site owners.

What are they doing?  Hijacking your CPU during the time you're on their site to run hash calculations.

Guess what that's for?  Cryptocurrency mining -- and the site is keeping the results.

I assume that someone has come up with a "package" that these sites can put in their HTML that then grabs the appropriate resources and runs them, assuming it's not blocked.  All you see is a slowdown and more CPU consumption on your computer, but the mere act of visiting and viewing their content results in your computer being used to make them money.  While the actual amount of hashing one person with one computer visiting the site could do is extremely small for a site that generates a lot of views the potential financial reward to said site owner (which I assume they are splitting with the code developer in some fashion) could be quite material.

Isn't that special folks?  This almost wins over the scam I found on some fairly major sites last year that were attempting to load things on mobiles, targeting Android specifically, but only on if you visited from an Android handset.  I reported on that one at the time.

This sort of hijacking of resources should be treated as a felony violation of the law and it's very traceable since it's coming from "ad code" that a site owner has to insert intentionally into their site's HTML generation code, but you know damn well it won't be. :-\

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=232879 :icon_study:

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Slow Web Page? Surprise! in [Market-Ticker] Karl Denninger
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
Could be https://thehackernews.com/2018/01/wordpress-keylogger.html
"The State is a body of armed men."