Poll

Which of these now dead Leaders from History would make the best POTW?

Constantine
2 (28.6%)
Hypatia
5 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 7

AuthorTopic: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)  (Read 841 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 04:22:47 PM »
Nah. But I like Kurt better than Bucky because he's a full doomer.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 04:53:06 PM »
Nah. But I like Kurt better than Bucky because he's a full doomer.

Well, I don't necessarily want so many Negative Waves as KV sent out in the POTW.  I want some HOPIUM!  I would make KV Advisor to BF.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Voting now OPEN for the Historical Leader for POTW
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 05:30:37 AM »
The new Poll is up at the top of the page.  Don't sit out this election!

Polling stations on your laptops will remain open for a few days.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🗳️ Voting now OPEN for the Historical Leader for POTW
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
The new Poll is up at the top of the page.  Don't sit out this election!

Polling stations on your laptops will remain open for a few days.

RE

I wonder if each nominator ought to post a paragraph in support or justification of their nominee. Otherwise people may be voting without adequate information.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
Mother Theresa has a commanding lead over the pack  :icon_sunny:

She raised billions of Dinero's for the Vatican & her mission in India.
To bad most of the cash went to the legal coffers for keeping priests out of prison.
Seems that Holy Mother the Church has this addiction problem with altar & choir boys.

Well, it was the thought that counts.
That about covers it for my candidate.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »
I voted for Constantine The Great.

He was a both a Gold Bug who introduced the Soliduus which became the world's standard gold coin for over a thousand years.

He was also a great general and fair leader. Constantine was tolerant of Christians and Christianity and was a Pagan who became a Christian before his death.

He would step into this job with ease and a lifetime of previous experience.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: President Mother Teresa
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
Some of her loudest critics are from Kolkata themselves. Unlike her, they were born and raised there. Despite being connected with the city, she barely spoke any Bengali. The cultural and intellectual life of the area was completely neglected in its work, those around her were assimilated into western Christianity. She spent very little time with the masses, instead preferring the company of India’s rich and influential. This much is acknowledged, even by her own spiritual minister. Mother Teresa is not only the face of what the Church hopes to be ‘modern’ Catholicism, but, in the words of historian Vijay Prashad “the quintessential image of the white woman in the colonies, working to save the dark bodies from their own temptations and failures”.

To this day, money continues to be an issue with the ‘Missionaries of Charity’ that Mother Teresa established in 1950. They refused to publish their accounts in India, where it is required by law. When asked to do the same in Germany, they responded that it was “none of their business”. A former sister put the annual figures of the organisation’s income at around $50 million in New York alone, but there is little evidence of any expenditures. Locally, services largely rely on donations and the appalling state of care in Mother Teresa’s time makes it clear that very little money makes it back to those they are helping, and new missions set up across the world are expected to become self-sufficient. Her charity received money from known-fraudsters, and when they were convicted in a criminal court, she tried to use her large personal influence to change the outcome of the trial. Sources suggest that the majority of money she received was sent straight to the Vatican bank; an institution few will believe in more dire need of assistance than India’s most vulnerable citizens.

However, it may explain why she was able to make so many friends in high places. Often shown photographed with Princess Diana, the Clintons and Pope John Paul II, very few touch on her close relationship with the Duvalier regime in Haiti. The Duvalier family lived in luxury whilst many in the country suffered in poverty, they tortured and murdered political rivals, and were involved in the underground trading of drugs and body parts. Their brutal regime was no secret at the time, but all Mother Teresa had to say was that they were full of love. In her home country of Albania, she laid flowers on the grave of former Communist dictator, Enva Hoxha. Despite her international fame, when Mother Teresa died in Kolkata few people — rich or poor — came to visit her body, left in her room for two days until moved by her fellow missionaries. Only around 100 non-missionaries or government officials attended her state led funeral; it would seem that her relationship with the city that made her so famous was even then more strained than the Church would like us to believe.

Not everybody loved her. That's for sure. A pro-life poster child for the Catholic Church. She'd fit right in the US congress, but she wouldn't make much of a President.

The two thing most of these candidates have in common is that (1) they aren't corrupt and (2) they're benevolent, and put the people first. Anybody with those qualities and average or better intelligence could do a fine job. No need to be obsessed with famous dead people, in my view.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »
I voted for Constantine The Great.

He was a both a Gold Bug who introduced the Soliduus which became the world's standard gold coin for over a thousand years.

He was also a great general and fair leader. Constantine was tolerant of Christians and Christianity and was a Pagan who became a Christian before his death.

He would step into this job with ease and a lifetime of previous experience.

Constantine was a notorious mama's boy who re-wrote the Bible to remove the parts about reincarnation. His mother was born poor and fucked her way right to the top. She must have been really good in bed (and highly intelligent, and totally ruthless), I'll give her that much.

Too many Catholics running in this election to suit me. The Church is still one of the world's biggest problems. If they were a solution, Earth would be the garden of Eden already.

Even my choice was Catholic. Maybe I should have changed my pick to Kurt Vonnegut.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Too many Catholics running in this election to suit me. The Church is still one of the world's biggest problems. If they were a solution, Earth would be the garden of Eden already.

Even my choice was Catholic. Maybe I should have changed my pick to Kurt Vonnegut.

Bucky was a Unitarian.  :icon_sunny:

Currently a 4-Way Tie.  We'll have to have POTW by Committee.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2018, 05:11:56 AM »
Constantine has taken the lead!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:37 AM »
After due consideration, I'd have to say that Bucky would make a better advisor than a president. He was way too optimistic about human nature, and never gave up hope.

How about Kurt Vonnegut Jr. ? He was a Doomer. Truly one of our tribe.

Evolution can go to hell as far as I am concerned. What a mistake we are. We have mortally wounded this sweet life-supporting planet - the only one in the whole Milky Way - with a century of transportation whoopee.

Kurt Vonnegut

Yes one of us certainly, but a magical snap of the fingers that puts his visage behind the oval office desk is going to be matched by mayhem by the end of the day.

The deep state has done it before.

Chile 1973

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:42:35 AM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:58 AM »
Hypatia and Constantine are now tied.  We may need a runoff election.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:46 PM »
Carl Sagan endorses Hypatia.  He is dead so under the circumstances he is qualified to speak up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:07:27 PM by K-Dog »

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
He can be Vice President.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
He can be Vice President.

Good idea.  I think Constantine will get trounced in a run-off.  Wasn’t he into torture?  Or perhaps that was his son’s thing (plural).  Still, they had to learn it somewhere.