AuthorTopic: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)  (Read 6349 times)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »
Carl Sagan endorses Hypatia.  He is dead so under the circumstances he is qualified to speak up.

Are you a closet channeler  ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2018, 04:40:13 PM »
Carl Sagan endorses Hypatia.  He is dead so under the circumstances he is qualified to speak up.

Link?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Hypatia and Constantine still tied.  If the tie isn't broken by tomorrow, we'll have a runoff.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Voting now OPEN for the Constantine vs. Hypatia Runoff Election!
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »
We remained tied today so I edited the poll for just Constantine and Hypatia.  All votes were cleared so you have to vote again for you favorite.  Poll is at the top of the thread.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🗳️ Voting now OPEN for the Constantine vs. Hypatia Runoff Election!
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2018, 06:52:30 AM »
We remained tied today so I edited the poll for just Constantine and Hypatia.  All votes were cleared so you have to vote again for you favorite.  Poll is at the top of the thread.

RE

Vote is still tied.  Let's get in some more votes so we can have a clear winner here!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🗳️ Voting now OPEN for the Constantine vs. Hypatia Runoff Election!
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »
Hypatia has taken the lead for POTW!  Voting will remain open until midnite Alaska time.

A new (and tougher IMHO) poll for people currently living who actually COULD be elected POTW will begin tomorrow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Hypatia Wins! Nominations now OPEN for Currently Alive candidates
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »
Hypatia has taken the lead for POTW!  Voting will remain open until midnite Alaska time.

A new (and tougher IMHO) poll for people currently living who actually COULD be elected POTW will begin tomorrow.

RE

Hypatia declared the Historical Winner and POTW in a Landslide, 5-2 over Constantine!  I voted for Hypatia myself, because she's HOT!  lol.

Now we move on to what IMHO is a much harder election to find viable nominees for, the Currently Alive people.  For myself, there is not a single Political Leader or Bizness Leader I could nominate.  There aren't even any Actors I could support!  ::)  Journalists get a little better, but Knarf already locked up the Chris Hedges nomination.  I considered John Pilger, but he's too much a War correspondent and not enough Economics.  In the end, There Can Be Only One though...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_j6_H-PSml0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_j6_H-PSml0</a>

...and the Winner IS!...

Julian Assange!

So for the new election, so far 2 nominees:

1- Chris Hedges
2- Julian Assange

We need at least 3 more nominees to get rolling on the election.  Nominations will stay open a couple of days.  Rules are they must be alive right now and you can't nominate yourself.  I had to make the second rule because otherwise I would have had to nominate myself as most qualified for this position. lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2018, 02:04:54 PM »
NEW Nominations from Currently Alive People needed for the new election!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »

RE

I will nominate Diner Ashvin.

His goodwill towards others, keen intellect and ability to communicate, scholarship and willingness to engage others who opposed his views in serious thoughtful discussion; his sense of fairness and respect of others with opposite views as well as his trustworthiness make him an ideal candidate for such a responsible position.

Kindly place Ashvin in contention, nominated by GO.  Thanks

Ashvin taught me a great deal and he is sorely missed at the Diner.  He was one of the Diner Greats, along with Peter, UncleBob, MKing, Reanteben, Karpatok, JoeP, Duncan, Nobody and other major contributors who are no longer with us for one reason or another.  :(

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
I nominate Texas Lt. Governor Dan (formerly Dannie Scott Goeb) Patrick. He's the kind of politician Americans want, and everybody knows the President of the World should be A Great American.

My professional opinion is that his teeth are fake. But this is in keeping with everything else about him. His fake patriotism. His fake pious Christianity. His fake concern about children. His fake fiscal conservatism. He would make a fine President of the World because when his elite billionaire masters like Tim Dunn and the Koch brothers called on him to jump, his only question would be "how high?'.

Here are some examples that put the spotlight on his bona fides.

Dan Patrick is the current lieutenant-governor for the state of Texas, and should not be confused with the legendary ESPN broadcaster of the same name. The ESPN personality was born Dan Pugh, and began using the moniker in 1989 after arriving at ESPN’s Bristol offices. The Texas politician was born Dannie Scott Goeb, and believe it or not was also once upon a time, a sportscaster in Scranton, Pennsylvania in 1977 where as a broadcaster, he was asked to use the same on-air alias by his producer before eventually moving to Houston.

There, Goeb would try to get rich by becoming the co-owner of five Texas sports-bars, with his mother serving as the company’s bookkeeper. It did not go according to plan. By 1986, he was forced to declare bankruptcy, and already suffering from depression, Patrick would be pushed to the brink of suicide. I feel at this point in this entry I should say I don’t feel that Goeb’s battle with depression is not the lowest point for his psychological well-being, and unlike his opponent in the 2014 GOP Primary for lieutenant-governor of Texas, David Dewherst, that I would not disparage him for his struggle with it to try to rule him unfit for office.

No, what’s far more of a concern of potential psychosis are Goeb/Patrick’s politics, which came to the forfront when he would reinvent himself in 1988 as a talk radio host in Texas, and spend the next 15 years of “Dan Patrick” being a Limbaugh knockoff in the Lone Star state. In 2003 Dannie Goeb would legally change his name to Dan Patrick, the name he’d been using on air for years, to help him in his attempt to win a seat on the Texas State Senate. Because it’s really then, through his politics and dissemination of ignorance that this guy became a danger to himself and others.

Goeb/Patrick has repeatedly made racially insensitive remarks regarding Asians. In 1992, he quipped that CBS’ program “Eye to Eye with Connie Chung” would be more aptly named “Slanted Eye to Eye with Connie Chung”.
In 1999, he was discussing trade negotiations between President Bill Clinton’s administration and the Chinese government, and began using pidgin English and a put on Chinese accent, referring to him as “President Crinton”.
On his radio talk show in February 2006, Goeb/Patrick claims that illegal immigrants are bringing “third world diseases” like tuberculosis and leprosy into the United States. (Seriously? Leprosy?)
On April 5th, 2007, a Muslim cleric delivered the first Muslim prayer (which was sponsored by a Jewish member of the legislature in a great show of tolerance) in the Texas State Senate. Goeb/Patrick protested the prayer by walking out of the chamber, then after it was over, came back in to speak about religious tolerance and the First Amendment giving us freedom of speech, without any irony, whatsoever.
In November, 2010, Patrick tried to pass a law in Texas similar to Arizona’s controversial immigration law SB1070, to allow the police the ability to racially profile.
During the debate to pass a mandatory ultrasound bill prior to abortions being performed in Texas (at least they aren’t via transvaginal wand, but they’re still medically unnecessary), Goeb/Patrick asked a fellow legislator, “And if those aborted souls were in the gallery, what would you say to them right now?”

I don’t know why more politicians don’t try to call for testimony from the ghosts of embryos. Oh wait, I do… because that’s friggin’ insane.
Goeb/Patrick chose to inquire with Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott if there really was a legal precedent regarding the legality of domestic partnership benefits. Interesting hobby, wanting to challenge the rights of gay people.
On June 28th, 2013, Texas State Senator Wendy Davis was being hailed as a hero for her all day filibuster of an anti-choice abortion bill in Texas. The next day, though, Goeb/Patrick went on Mike Huckabee’s radio show to claim that he was the one who deserved the praise, because he was trying to get Republicans in the Texas State Senate to just stop her. In the process of his self-praise, he compared himself to Jesus speaking against the Pharisees.
Goeb/Patrick is a big anti-immigration crusader, and wants to repeal the version of the DREAM Act that Texas put into place in 2001, saying that the state founders and his heroes like Sam Houston, Jim Bowie, and William Travis would be proud of him.

The historic ignorance of that statement would be that his “hero” William Travis was an illegal immigrant.

Also what makes his self-portrayal of a crusader against illegal immigration look dumb? Goeb/Patrick employed an illegal immigrant at one of his sports bars without knowing it back in the 1980s. He plead ignorance when this came to light.
On his radio show on October 11th, 2013, Goeb/Patrick gave his advice to cable news networks to get people interested in the news. Get the lady anchors to show off your gams on air, of course!
“I mean CNN is in the tank, MSNBC is in the tank. You know, there are other people they could put on and copy exactly the Fox formula­– what is the Fox formula? Beautiful women who wear skirts, not behind a desk. I mean really, they cross their legs very tightly and sit on a tall stool, that’s part of the presentation. And very conservative opinion makers and good guests, you know? That’s it– 1, 2, 3. And that’s how Roger Ailes [president of Fox News Channel] built his empire.”

I don’t like to just throw the word misogynist around, but if I was looking for a landing pad for the word, that analysis would be a nice place.
December 2013 gave us Goeb/Patrick trying to force the teaching of creationism in Texas schools, in spite of the fact that it would bring about obvious lawsuits regarding the separation of church and state. When confronted with that, Patrick refused to acknowledge that the 1st Amendment of the Constitution establishes the separation of church and state.
Around Christmas 2013, Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson gave his unique views on gays, earning widespread criticism, and a temporary suspension from the show by A&E network. Several conservatives rallied behind Robertson’s bigoted comments, and among them? Yep. Dannie Goeb/Dan Patrick was there to not just defend him, but to go as far as to declare him as one of God’s modern prophets:

“This is an exciting time for Christians. God is speaking to us from the most unlikely voice, Phil Robertson, about God’s Word. God is using pop culture and a highly successful cable TV show to remind us about His teaching.”

January 2014: Goeb/Patrick declares that he does not believe abortion exceptions for rape and incest should be allowed. Instead, only in instances where a mother’s life is at risk, which he claims is “extremely rare”.
Goeb/Patrick declared his victory in the 2014 GOP Primary for Lieutenant Governor as “God’s Will”.
In October 2014, Goeb/Patrick began airing fearmongering ads that claimed ISIS terrorists were sneaking across the U.S. Mexico border. Of course, both the U.S. Border Patrol and the Pentagon have refuted Republican politicians who claimed that. So Goeb/Patrick is either insane for claiming this, or deliberately knows he’s lying and was hoping to win votes by way of fearmongering. Either possibility is disgusting, frankly.

And there you have it. A man who tries to get public schools to teach scientific ignorance, says racist things about Asians, thinks journalism is better if the news is better when it’s delivered by sexpots, spreads xenophobic lies about immigrants and the U.S. border, and thinks of a bigoted, backwoods bearded kook who tricks ducks into thinking he wants to f*** them as a means to lure them out so he can murder them for sport is speaking on behalf of God.

I really, really wish his sports bar business had succeeded, and all of the ways he’s made Texas politics more ignorant through his show, and his tenure in the State Senate would have never come to pass.

Wait, wait...that all took place before 2015. Here's a 2016 update:

Here’s our update on Dan Patrick’s most offensive moments from 2016:

April 28th, 2016: Patrick calls for a boycott on Target retail stores, for suggesting that they would allow transgendered citizens to use the restroom of their choice in their stores.
June 12th, 2016: Dan Patrick, always terribly homophobic, responds to the shooting at The Pulse nightclub in Orlando by getting on Twitter and quoting a Bible passage that seemed to indicate he felt the victims got what was coming to them:
”’Do not be deceived, God cannot be mocked, A man reaps what he sows.’- Galatians 6:7”

We’re not even going to pull punches here, and sum up that by saying, “What. An. Assh***.” – Luke 3:5

July 8th, 2016: After an attack on Dallas police officers at a Black Lives Matter protest, Patrick blamed the shooting on BLM. (This, of course, ignores the fact that the shooter was not a member of Black Lives Matter, and during the attack, several members of the protest pulled wounded individuals to safety, and helped police identify where the shooter was.)

Dan Patrick is as fanatical as they come, and sadly, will remain in office until at least 2018, when he’s up for re-election. We’ll have to wait and see how big the expected blue wave in the 2018 mid-terms really is, to see if he’s going to be voted out of office or not.

https://republicinsanity.tumblr.com/post/104194413868/dan-patrick

No, wait...don't go yet. Here's 2017. Best year yet!!! He won Texas Monthly's coveted Bum Steer Awards!!!

Bum Steer Awards 2018 No. 1: Dan Patrick

Our lieutenant governor, for his eagerness to squander his power, waste our time, and drag Texas politics into the bathroom, is our Bum Steer of the Year.

BY
TEXAS MONTHLY
ISSUE
JANUARY 2018

Dan Patrick Bum Steer

Last February, at the start of the 85th legislative session, this magazine named Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick the most influential person in Texas politics. And for good reason: in the months leading up to the session, he had deftly maneuvered to set the state’s agenda, and he let it be known that he would tolerate little dissent in the upper chamber. What Patrick wanted, he intended to get, and he planned to bulldoze right over anyone who stood in his way, including, if necessary, Speaker Joe Straus and Governor Greg Abbott. When we placed Patrick on our cover, we did so along with two words: in charge.

Early in the session, it looked as though things were going the lieutenant governor’s way. He and his committee chairs steadily passed his priority legislation. He got bills on virtually all of his wish-list items: school choice, property taxes, sanctuary cities, student-teacher relationships, partial-birth abortion, even hailstorm lawsuit reform. Everything seemed to be going according to plan.

Then came Senate Bill 6, which was branded as the Women’s Privacy Act but was better known as the “bathroom bill.” It was ostensibly designed to protect women from men pretending to be women from entering a public bathroom and assaulting them, even though there was no instance of such a thing occurring in Texas. The effect of the bill, whether intentional or not, would have been to marginalize transgender people. Right from the start, the bill was a solution in search of a problem, an ill-advised, half-baked, disingenuous stunt that ran a very real risk of putting in jeopardy one of the most vulnerable populations in our state.

Dan Patrick Bathroom Bill Bum Steer

People the lieutenant governor should have listened to tried to talk him out of it. Prominent members of the business community stood dead set against it. They pointed to North Carolina, where the passing of a similar bill in 2016 resulted in a fiasco. A San Antonio Area Tourism Council study predicted Texas would lose more than $3 billion a year in tourism business if the bill passed. The Texas Association of Business warned that the bill would cause problems with employee recruitment and retention. Companies such as Apple, IBM, Tenet Health, South by Southwest, Dow, and Dell formed a group called Keep Texas Open for Business, with the express purpose of stopping the bill. Even Big Oil joined the resistance.

The Republican-controlled House, too, sent warning signs. The normally reserved Speaker Straus piped up to say he thought the state had far more important priorities, calling the bathroom bill “manufactured and unnecessary.” The Senate Bill sat for months in the House but never got to the floor. Eventually the House passed its own version, diluted to harmlessness, which Patrick promptly declared unacceptable. The clock was running out, and rather than let the bill go, Patrick took hostage two bills that would keep alive a handful of state agencies—including the one that licenses doctors—in order to force a special session.

A million taxpayer dollars and a monthlong special session later, the same forces that had blocked the bathroom bill earlier halted it again. The whole episode was a master class in waste. The most influential person in Texas politics used his vast power to manufacture hysteria (boys and girls showering together at school!) to pass a law few in the state wanted, only to see all his efforts come to naught. In his obsession with where people pee, Patrick flushed away much of his political capital and a lot of taxpayer money—and put at risk untold millions in economic activity. That makes him our 2018 Bum Steer of the Year.

I think you can see that he's in a league of his own. No one can protect American Christian values and keep immigrants out of our country and trannies out of our Women's restrooms like Dan can.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:30:26 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »

RE

Watson now nominated.  We have 3 now, 2 to go.

1- Chris Hedges
2- Julian Assange
3- Ashvin Pandurangi

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:19 PM »
I nominate Texas Lt. Governor Dan (formerly Dannie Scott Goeb) Patrick. He's the kind of politician Americans want, and everybody knows the President of the World should be A Great American.

Give me a serious nomination pleeez.  Didn't you have some Asian leader you wanted to nominate in the last poll that was DQed for still being alive?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2018, 05:36:58 PM »
I'm as serious as a heartbeat. Give the people of the world exactly what they deserve. Mike Pence is gonna be the next US President. How could Dan Patrick be worse than that?

Moron presidents are all the rage now. Get with the program.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
I'm as serious as a heartbeat. Give the people of the world exactly what they deserve. Mike Pence is gonna be the next US President. How could Dan Patrick be worse than that?

Moron presidents are all the rage now. Get with the program.

The idea here is to FIX the problems, not make them worse.  Voting is SUPPOSED to enable you to do that.  At least that is what Surly tells me all the time anyhow.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2018, 06:03:48 PM »

RE

Watson now nominated.  We have 3 now, 2 to go.

1- Chris Hedges
2- Julian Assange
3- Ashvin Pandurangi

RE

Hm. Anyone heard from him lately? Last time I looked, it appeared he had folded his blog.

This is a tough assignment. Why nominate a Henry Giroux or Greg Palast when the journey slot is occupied by someone of great moral weight.

And why nominate Edward Snowden when the role of Putin intel asset is already filled by Assange.

Since none of the nominees actually have executive experience, I nominate Jose Mujica, the former President of Uruguay.

He is a former revolutionary, a socialist, and a man of great humility and moral suasion. He eschewed all the trappings of high office, and lived humbly in accordance with his roots and his beliefs. As the article says, "Mr Mujica leaves office with a relatively healthy economy and with social stability those bigger neighbours could only dream of." Thus unlike the other nominees, he offers and executive track record.

Uruguay bids farewell to Jose Mujica, its pauper president

Wyre Davies  Rio de Janeiro correspondent

Media captionJose Mujica is often referred to as the president most other countries would rather have, as Wyre Davies reports

Whatever your own particular "shade" of politics, it's impossible not to be impressed or beguiled by Jose "Pepe" Mujica.

There are idealistic, hard-working and honest politicians the world over - although cynics might argue they're a small minority - but none of them surely comes anywhere close to the outgoing Uruguayan president when it comes to living by one's principles.

It's not just for show. Mr Mujica's beat-up old VW Beetle is probably one of the most famous cars in the world and his decision to forgo the luxury of the Presidential Palace is not unique - his successor, Tabare Vazquez, will also probably elect to live at home.

But when you visit "Pepe" at his tiny, one-storey home on the outskirts of Montevideo you realise that the man is as good as his word.

People walk past graffiti thanking Jose 'Pepe' Mujica, Uruguay's outgoing president - 28 February 2015Image copyrightAP
Image captionMr Mujica leaves office with Uruguay's economy in better shape than its bigger neighbours

Wearing what could best be described as "casual" clothes - I don't think he's ever been seen wearing a tie - Mr Mujica seats himself down on a simple wooden stool in front of a bookshelf that seems on the verge of collapsing under the weight of biographies and mementoes from his political adversaries and allies.

Books are important to the former guerrilla fighter who spent a total of 13 years in jail, two of them lying at the bottom of an old horse trough. It was an experience that almost broke him mentally and which shaped his transformation from fighter to politician.

'Inner strength'

"I was imprisoned in solitary [confinement] so the day they put me on a sofa I felt comfortable!" Mr Mujica jokes.

"I've no doubt that had I not lived through that I would not be who I am today. Prison, solitary confinement had a huge influence on me. I had to find an inner strength. I couldn't even read a book for seven, eight years - imagine that!"

Given his past, it's perhaps understandable why Mr Mujica gives away about 90% of his salary to charity, simply because he "has no need for it".

A little bit grumpy to begin with, Mr Mujica warms to his task as he describes being perplexed by those who question his lifestyle.

"This world is crazy, crazy! People are amazed by normal things and that obsession worries me!"

Uruguayan President Jose Mujica with his wife Lucia Topolansky during a farewell ceremony in Montevideo - 27 February 2015Image copyrightAFP
Image captionHe married Lucia Topolansky, his long-term partner and former co-revolutionary, in 2005

Not afraid to take a swipe at his fellow leaders, he adds: "All I do is live like the majority of my people, not the minority. I'm living a normal life and Italian, Spanish leaders should also live as their people do. They shouldn't be aspiring to or copying a rich minority."

Jose Mujica is outspoken and sometimes brusque, but he can afford to be so.

Uruguay is often referred to as the most liberal country in South America. As economic and political turmoil threaten to engulf the neighbouring giants of Brazil and Argentina, this country of just three million people certainly feels like a refuge.

Controversial policies

Mr Mujica leaves office with a relatively healthy economy and with social stability those bigger neighbours could only dream of.

Mr Mujica's underlying principles are still socialist but he's a man who has mellowed with age. Some of the most controversial political initiatives from his five years as president - like the legalisation of abortion and cannabis - were done for pragmatic as much as ideological reasons.

"Marijuana is another plague, another addiction. Some say its good but no, that's rubbish. Not marijuana, tobacco or alcohol - the only good addiction is love!" says the man who in 2005 married his long-term partner and former co-revolutionary, Lucia Topolansky.

"But 150,000 people smoke [marijuana] here and I couldn't leave them at the mercy of drugs traffickers," he says. "It's easier to control something if it's legal and that's why we've done this."

Uruguay's President Jose Mujica flashes a thumbs up as he and and his wife leave their home on the outskirts of Montevideo in their famous VW Beetle - 2 May 2014Image copyrightAP
Image captionAlthough Mr Mujica is leaving the presidency, he says he has no intention of retiring quietly

Mr Mujica, who is sometimes described as the "president every other country would like to have," dismisses all the adulation and attention with a waft of his hand but he is not leaving the stage just yet.

"I have no intention of being an old pensioner, sitting in a corner writing my memoirs - no way!" he barks at me with a grin.

"I'm tired of course, but I'm not ready to stop. My journey's ending and every day I'm a little closer to the grave."

Maybe so, but this enigmatic leader remains an inspiration to many and is a reminder that politics is meant to be a humble and honourable profession.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound