AuthorTopic: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2018, 06:10:58 PM »
Hi checking the top of the thread but no place to vote.

Last candidates still up.  :icon_scratch:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Hi checking the top of the thread but no place to vote.

Last candidates still up.  :icon_scratch:

We don't have 5 candidates yet.  I'm not changing the poll until we have at least 5.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2018, 05:12:16 AM »

Hm. Anyone heard from him lately? Last time I looked, it appeared he had folded his blog.

This is a tough assignment. Why nominate a Henry Giroux or Greg Palast when the journey slot is occupied by someone of great moral weight.

And why nominate Edward Snowden when the role of Putin intel asset is already filled by Assange.

Since none of the nominees actually have executive experience, I nominate Jose Mujica, the former President of Uruguay.

OK, now up to 4 nominees (I am NOT accepting Eddie's nomination!  This election is to try and get BETTER people in office!)

1- Chris Hedges
2- Julian Assange
3- Ashvin Pandurangi
4- Jose Mujica

I can think of another possible two, Oz Economista Steve Keen or another Economista Michael Hudson.  For more local Diners, you might consider nominating Steve Ludlum from Economic Undertow also.

Or you could nominate ME!  :icon_sunny:   :icon_mrgreen:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2018, 06:04:11 AM »

RE

Guy's like me would be put to the guillotine under your reign. No Thanks  :-\

Leaders have to be fair and not judgemental, especially of the wealthy. Who are you going to tax if we all are poor??   :icon_scratch: :-\

I don't like being poor, been there and tried it.  Rich is better. I experimented so trust me.

Lefty's and communists all hate me cause I'm rich. But they don't hate George Clooney or Cher. Hypocrites  :emthdown: :emthdown: :exp-embarrassed:

So I got a few bucks, big deal. I'm still a great guy. Ask my mother if you don't believe me.  :-\

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »

RE

Guy's like me would be put to the guillotine under your reign. No Thanks  :-\

Leaders have to be fair and not judgemental, especially of the wealthy. Who are you going to tax if we all are poor??   :icon_scratch: :-\

I don't like being poor, been there and tried it.  Rich is better. I experimented so trust me.

Lefty's and communists all hate me cause I'm rich. But they don't hate George Clooney or Cher. Hypocrites  :emthdown: :emthdown: :exp-embarrassed:

So I got a few bucks, big deal. I'm still a great guy. Ask my mother if you don't believe me.  :-\

Goldfinger is not eligible for this election for a couple of reasons.  First off, he's a character in a movie, not a real person.  Second, the actor who portrayed him, Gert Froebe is dead.

You are also labeling Lefties and Communists again and lumping them all together.  Personally, I can't stand George Clooney.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Ashvin

• Red Psycho
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
NEW Nominations from Currently Alive People needed for the new election!

RE

I will nominate Diner Ashvin.

His goodwill towards others, keen intellect and ability to communicate, scholarship and willingness to engage others who opposed his views in serious thoughtful discussion; his sense of fairness and respect of others with opposite views as well as his trustworthiness make him an ideal candidate for such a responsible position.

Kindly place Ashvin in contention, nominated by GO.  Thanks

Ashvin taught me a great deal and he is sorely missed at the Diner.  He was one of the Diner Greats, along with Peter, UncleBob, MKing, Reanteben, Karpatok, JoeP, Duncan, Nobody and other major contributors who are no longer with us for one reason or another.  :(

Those are really kinds words, GO. I truly appreciate it! What are the chances that I would choose to drop in on this forum for the first time in ____ (?) months and find out I have been nominated to be POTW??  :o

I haven't even visited collapse blogs lately, let alone try to write for or in one. Part of it is being busy with work and personal stuff, but then again it only takes a few minutes to check in and drop a post every once in awhile. I guess the real reason is that I don't find any productive value in it.

It's a bit disheartening to think that so many great minds could "come together" and almost nothing of substantive value could result. For all the articles, posts, musings and predictions WE have all produced in various collapse forums, what has resulted? It almost seems like it has done more harm than good, if for no other reason than it has motivated others to waste so much time and brain power here, with the illusory promise that something real and profound and worthwhile is sure to come from it. Perhaps it is just the nature of online forums that creates this dynamic in which a bunch of smart people can spend a lot of time writing interesting and contemplative things to each other, and yet no one is better off for it (I can hear the voices saying, "speak for yourself!"... and that's what I am doing).

That being said, and what I think I have been consistent about for the last two years or so, is that philosophical or theological discussion is always worthwhile. The online dynamic almost drains even this topic of all it's efficacy, but it remains, in my mind, the ONLY subject which could be discussed without coming at an unbearable opportunity cost. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:18:46 AM by Ashvin »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
NEW Nominations from Currently Alive People needed for the new election!

RE

I will nominate Diner Ashvin.

His goodwill towards others, keen intellect and ability to communicate, scholarship and willingness to engage others who opposed his views in serious thoughtful discussion; his sense of fairness and respect of others with opposite views as well as his trustworthiness make him an ideal candidate for such a responsible position.

Kindly place Ashvin in contention, nominated by GO.  Thanks

Ashvin taught me a great deal and he is sorely missed at the Diner.  He was one of the Diner Greats, along with Peter, UncleBob, MKing, Reanteben, Karpatok, JoeP, Duncan, Nobody and other major contributors who are no longer with us for one reason or another.  :(

Those are really kinds words, GO. I truly appreciate it! What are the chances that I would choose to drop in on this forum for the first time in ____ (?) months and find out I have been nominated to be POTW??  :o

I haven't even visited collapse blogs lately, let alone try to write for or in one. Part of it is being busy with work and personal stuff, but then again it only takes a few minutes to check in and drop a post every once in awhile. I guess the real reason is that I don't find any productive value in it.

It's a bit disheartening to think that so many great minds could "come together" and almost nothing of substantive value could result. For all the articles, posts, musings and predictions WE have all produced in various collapse forums, what has resulted? It almost seems like it has done more harm than good, if for no other reason than it has motivated others to waste so much time and brain power here, with the illusory promise that something real and profound and worthwhile is sure to come from it. Perhaps it is just the nature of online forums that creates this dynamic in which a bunch of smart people can spend a lot of time writing interesting and contemplative things to each other, and yet no one is better off for it (I can hear the voices saying, "speak for yourself!"... and that's what I am doing).

That being said, and what I think I have been consistent about for the last two years or so, is that philosophical or theological discussion is always worthwhile. The online dynamic almost drains even this topic of all it's efficacy, but it remains, in my mind, the ONLY subject which could be discussed without coming at an unbearable opportunity cost.

I don't see any real negative in contemplating on what it would take to make a better future, even if it is highly unlikely you can succeed IRL with such discussions.  It's a Thought Experiment with others who have decent brain power and some concept of what is ongoing here.  You never know though, at some point it might go VIRAL.

For me, it occupies my days as I wait to die.  It's entertaining in its own way.  It tests your creativity in thinking about the problems and what it might take to resolve them, or at least work around them.  For people currently struggling to make their way through this clusterfuck, bizzy with work and their own lives, maybe it takes too much time and emotional energy, but as you say you can just drop in once in a while with some thoughts on the subjects being discussed.  This does not take much time to do.  When I was still working, I would compose up my blogs in my head during the day, then pound them out on the keyboard fairly rapidly in the evening while eating my dinner or waiting for it to finish cooking.  What else is there to do?  Watch stupid TV shows?

RE
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:37:23 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
BTW, we still need one more nomination to get the new Poll for POTW going.  Anyone going to ante up a candidate?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Ashvin

• Red Psycho
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
I don't see any real negative in contemplating on what it would take to make a better future, even if it is highly unlikely you can succeed IRL with such discussions.  It's a Thought Experiment with others who have decent brain power and some concept of what is ongoing here.  You never know though, at some point it might go VIRAL.

For me, it occupies my days as I wait to die.  It's entertaining in its own way.  It tests your creativity in thinking about the problems and what it might take to resolve them, or at least work around them.  For people currently struggling to make their way through this clusterfuck, bizzy with work and their own lives, maybe it takes too much time and emotional energy, but as you say you can just drop in once in a while with some thoughts on the subjects being discussed.  This does not take much time to do.  When I was still working, I would compose up my blogs in my head during the day, then pound them out on the keyboard fairly rapidly in the evening while eating my dinner or waiting for it to finish cooking.  What else is there to do?  Watch stupid TV shows?

RE

There are some very thought-provoking TV shows now! Check out Black Mirror on Netflix.

The underlying assumption in your response is that the ongoing "thought experiment" from blogging here does not have a significant negative impact on readers. I think many of the posts are relatively harmless, but there are also a decent amount which are misinformed, misguided and sometimes even malevolent.

There are some posters who shall rename nameless for now, who drop substantial amounts of posts here, which posit speculative collapse-related worldviews and harshly condemn anyone who would question them. They create an atmosphere of unrelenting fear, anxiety and paranoia that is unwarranted and unhealthy. Certainly unproductive to any hopes of real progress in our society's attitudes and mindsets about the best ways to move forward.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »

Hi Ashvin,

Just FYI, it may be a day or two before you hear from GO. Had had reported some serious wi-fi problems which may require some physical installation. He sent up a flare on Saturday.

Nice to have you back among us, under any circumstances.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »

RE

There are some very thought-provoking TV shows now! Check out Black Mirror on Netflix.

The underlying assumption in your response is that the ongoing "thought experiment" from blogging here does not have a significant negative impact on readers. I think many of the posts are relatively harmless, but there are also a decent amount which are misinformed, misguided and sometimes even malevolent.

There are some posters who shall rename nameless for now, who drop substantial amounts of posts here, which posit speculative collapse-related worldviews and harshly condemn anyone who would question them. They create an atmosphere of unrelenting fear, anxiety and paranoia that is unwarranted and unhealthy. Certainly unproductive to any hopes of real progress in our society's attitudes and mindsets about the best ways to move forward.

I don't own a TV.

As far as the "malevolence" you find here on the Diner, compared to what you get in the movies, TV or video games, it's positively mild.  It also has nowhere near the reach that media has, particularly the forum here.  There are maybe 20 people who post up periodically and we have a decent crew of lurkers too, but I doubt more than 100 different people read a given post made on the forum.  It's mainly a sounding board for the regulars to share their opinions on a variety of doom related topics.  The amount of damage this could possibly do is insignificant, at least at the moment.  If it ever went viral it might have an impact, but that seems unlikely.

Our discussions are often spirited, and no 2 Diners agree on everything.  Barfights break out periodically too.  It's really just like going to the local Pub, sitting down at the bar and shooting the shit with other regulars and the Bartender.  Just here we can do it across the whole Globe, which you need to do to find enough people who have the brains to elucidate what is occurring here and speculate on what is coming down the pike.  IRL, just about nobody has anyone else to discuss Collapse issues with, their family members don't wanna hear about it.

You and I will never agree on religion and certainly not the deification of Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean I don't like discussing religion with you or that I don't take away new insights about the topic resulting from our discussions either.  I do.  So drop in here whenever you like, have a beer and shoot the shit.  The number of people we can possibly harm here is miniscule.

RE
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:47:12 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
I don't own a TV.

Silly boy. Everybody watches Netflix on their laptops now. Television is insidious and unrelenting. Prepare to be assimilated.

I haven't seen Black Mirror, but one of my daughters mentioned it was pretty good.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2018, 01:53:38 PM »
I don't own a TV.

Silly boy. Everybody watches Netflix on their laptops now. Television is insidious and unrelenting. Prepare to be assimilated.

I haven't seen Black Mirror, but one of my daughters mentioned it was pretty good.

Netflix costs MONEY!  I don't access anything I can't get on the net for FREE!  :icon_sunny:  Working my way around paywalls  these days just to read the news has been an exercise in creativity.

It also uses up a shit load of bandwidth.  As it is, I am already using my 75GB of bandwidth at high speed every month.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:59 PM »
We pirate Netflix off the kid's account.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »
We pirate Netflix off the kid's account.

Just to remind you, I don't have kids.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN